HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9861  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:05 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Schuylkill River Trail Receives $12M in Federal Funding for Completion





Read more at https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...8bShm9QT544.99
This is awesome, will make quite an impact for those using the trail and those driving down 76 on the other side. Is there any idea on timing for completion?

If Grays Ferry doesn't blow up for some reason, this will really be the last straw to push development over there once complete.
__________________
You must construct additional pylons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9862  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:11 PM
El Duderino's Avatar
El Duderino El Duderino is offline
build awesome buildings
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Schuylkill River Trail Receives $12M in Federal Funding for Completion
This is super awesome and will make many of the proposed plans that seemed doomed to sit for years and years and years a reality. Can’t wait to see this get moving.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9863  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:21 PM
Urbanthusiat's Avatar
Urbanthusiat Urbanthusiat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: University City, Philadelphia
Posts: 586
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
This is super awesome and will make many of the proposed plans that seemed doomed to sit for years and years and years a reality. Can’t wait to see this get moving.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Penn decides to contribute to this project. Should really open up the potential of the Pennovation campus and connects into its new CHOP campus as well.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Mar 7, 2018 at 3:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9864  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:58 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 330
Not sure if this is still up-to-date at all (from last July), but this is the most comprehensive timeline I can find for the whole trail. They expected completion in 2020. It's just hitting me now that that is only TWO years away. Where does the time go?

https://philly.curbed.com/2016/1/21/...jects-timeline
__________________
You must construct additional pylons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9865  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:36 PM
Skintreesnail Skintreesnail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Not sure if this is still up-to-date at all (from last July), but this is the most comprehensive timeline I can find for the whole trail. They expected completion in 2020. It's just hitting me now that that is only TWO years away. Where does the time go?

https://philly.curbed.com/2016/1/21/...jects-timeline
they keep this pretty up to date I think:
https://www.schuylkillbanks.org/projects

Looks like construction will begin 2020. The bridge from Grays Ferry crescent to Bartram's garden is supposed to complete next year though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9866  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:58 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,764
I agree 100% that Fenway and Wrigley are icons that every sports field/arena should emulate. Those fields are reminiscent of the "Football" fields that dot London neighborhoods, where everyone walks or takes transit to get to.

What do those have in common? Those fields are well integrated into the surrounding urban fabric. Fenway and Wrigely are both over 100 years and the neighborhoods grew up around them and residents adapted over the years.

The problem is - is it really possible - in this day and age - to build an arena or small stadium in a neighborhood? I mean, just look at how crazy neighbors are reacting to Temple's football stadium plans. Nobody these days wants that in their backyard and yet what we're saying is that to have that Wrigley/Fenway experience, it needs to be within the neighborhood, not isolated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9867  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 5:07 PM
Capsule F Capsule F is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 16th and green
Posts: 1,811
Looks like there is heavy abatement under way at the Inquirer Building, thats a good sign that the reno will be starting in coming months. I'm curious what type of abatement the building needed, wouldn't be surprised if it was mold and asbestos.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9868  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 7:08 PM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
This is awesome, will make quite an impact for those using the trail and those driving down 76 on the other side. Is there any idea on timing for completion?

If Grays Ferry doesn't blow up for some reason, this will really be the last straw to push development over there once complete.
While this is good for the neighborhood, keep in mind that I don't think there will be much actual connection to Grays Ferry because of the train tracks and existing uses. It'll mostly just go by it. That said, look out for Forgotten Bottom with the Grays Ferry Crescent connecting straight into Center City plus the Pennovation next door and the Penn loan forgiveness...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9869  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 8:49 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
While this is good for the neighborhood, keep in mind that I don't think there will be much actual connection to Grays Ferry because of the train tracks and existing uses. It'll mostly just go by it. That said, look out for Forgotten Bottom with the Grays Ferry Crescent connecting straight into Center City plus the Pennovation next door and the Penn loan forgiveness...
That was what I was trying to say. Doesn't current day Grays Ferry encompass Forgotten Bottom?
__________________
You must construct additional pylons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9870  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:21 PM
Kidphilly Kidphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Yea but the point about McFaddens and Xfinity is kind of misleading. They're dead zones when the teams don't do well... because they are located in dead zones and the only thing that brings people there are sporting events. Obviously if there was a bar attached to a downtown arena, how the team is doing is largely irrelevant as there are of course plenty of sports bars in center city that do quite well regardless of how the teams are playing and don't even have the benefit of arena's worth of people stopping by every few days.

If they plopped WFC in Center City, obviously that would be a disaster. That's not what anyone is suggesting though. The way arena's have tiered seating they are basically made to have street facing retail all the way around the perimeter. There is no reason for an arena to kill a city block.

MSG and its circumstances are unique, but a location next to 30th street station in a bustling new high rise tech neighborhood is about as close to MSG circumstances as you'll find in America. It's a little more relevant than apples and oranges.


I believe the stadium I the best location for so many reasons

that said a second arena might not go there but could, albeit redundant


I think what we all miss is the stadium area could be improved and developed


even the lot where the Vet was could have apartments built (street wall of sorts) around the perimeter without giving up to much parking.

Imagine a closed street with more bars etc along CBP

plus I think the apartments would be a different market than normal in the city and have great PT BSL access
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9871  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:23 PM
Nova08 Nova08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Yea but the point about McFaddens and Xfinity is kind of misleading. They're dead zones when the teams don't do well... because they are located in dead zones and the only thing that brings people there are sporting events. Obviously if there was a bar attached to a downtown arena, how the team is doing is largely irrelevant as there are of course plenty of sports bars in center city that do quite well regardless of how the teams are playing and don't even have the benefit of arena's worth of people stopping by every few days.

If they plopped WFC in Center City, obviously that would be a disaster. That's not what anyone is suggesting though. The way arena's have tiered seating they are basically made to have street facing retail all the way around the perimeter. There is no reason for an arena to kill a city block.

MSG and its circumstances are unique, but a location next to 30th street station in a bustling new high rise tech neighborhood is about as close to MSG circumstances as you'll find in America. It's a little more relevant than apples and oranges.
Ok, maybe not as far apart as I made it out to be. Most of my experience with an urban arena is MSG, which has zero interaction with the street. There is a lot around that masks this deficit due to where it is located and the 650k people that use Penn Station every day. I wasn't sure what posters were suggesting when it comes to an urban arena.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9872  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:04 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Ok, maybe not as far apart as I made it out to be. Most of my experience with an urban arena is MSG, which has zero interaction with the street. There is a lot around that masks this deficit due to where it is located and the 650k people that use Penn Station every day. I wasn't sure what posters were suggesting when it comes to an urban arena.
As a fan, even if it does interact with the street, I think that takes away from the experience of going to the game. Strong integration means that you loose a game day atmosphere surrounding the building. Maybe that differs some for concerts, but for a game, the Sports Complex gives that experience better than any other location could.
__________________
You must construct additional pylons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9873  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:51 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
As a fan, even if it does interact with the street, I think that takes away from the experience of going to the game. Strong integration means that you loose a game day atmosphere surrounding the building. Maybe that differs some for concerts, but for a game, the Sports Complex gives that experience better than any other location could.
Sports complex gives an atmosphere alright, I just don't know if it's necessarily a great atmosphere for all purposes. Great as the atmosphere is, it's very much a white suburban atmosphere that is largely dependant on tailgating.

For the Eagles that works great, for the Sixers not so much. Also go to Fenway and you'll clearly see that atmosphere if not every great sporting event atmosphere is dependant on tailgating in a parking lot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9874  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:57 PM
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,490
^

I thought Xfinity Live would help with the atmosphere. Plus, the Casino going down there is gonna help. So, the WFC is good where it's at, no?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9875  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:57 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^

I thought Xfinity Live would help with the atmosphere. Plus, the Casino going down there is gonna help. So, the WFC is good where it's at, no?
Xfinity Live helps, the casino will...at least be another attraction down there. The sports museum will as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Sports complex gives an atmosphere alright, I just don't know if it's necessarily a great atmosphere for all purposes. Great as the atmosphere is, it's very much a white suburban atmosphere that is largely dependant on tailgating.

For the Eagles that works great, for the Sixers not so much. Also go to Fenway and you'll clearly see that atmosphere if not every great sporting event atmosphere is dependant on tailgating in a parking lot.
I'm not sure I get what you mean by white suburban - is this because of the parking lots? Tailgating is great for the Eagles and it's just as great for the Phillies too. I'll give you that the Sixers and Flyers don't have the same atmosphere now, but that's because:

1. The weather isn't as nice as it is for Phillies games
2. The games aren't full day events into themselves like Eagles games

If they make deep playoff runs and the weather turns, the tailgates will come. The Winter Classic was a great outdoor atmosphere for the Flyers because the game was a full day event. I don't think you could call the subway ride down to stadiums suburban and that's definitely part of the experience. Can you explain what the atmosphere you're referring to is?

As for comparisons, let's stop with saying we can build something urban like Fenway, Wrigley or MSG. We can't replicate that without 100 years of organic neighborhood growth around the stadium (maybe we could do that in South Philly by 2118?) and we're not NYC. For a basketball/hockey arena, our comps are TD Bank in Boston and Verizon Center in DC, maybe the Dunk in Providence? None of those creates any sort of gameday atmosphere. I'm sure they do well, but we'd be losing something if the arena went elsewhere.
__________________
You must construct additional pylons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9876  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:20 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

As for comparisons, let's stop with saying we can build something urban like Fenway, Wrigley or MSG. We can't replicate that without 100 years of organic neighborhood growth around the stadium (maybe we could do that in South Philly by 2118?) and we're not NYC. For a basketball/hockey arena, our comps are TD Bank in Boston and Verizon Center in DC, maybe the Dunk in Providence? None of those creates any sort of gameday atmosphere. I'm sure they do well, but we'd be losing something if the arena went elsewhere.
What about the arena in Brooklyn?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9877  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 2:45 AM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
As for comparisons, let's stop with saying we can build something urban like Fenway, Wrigley or MSG. We can't replicate that without 100 years of organic neighborhood growth around the stadium (maybe we could do that in South Philly by 2118?) and we're not NYC. For a basketball/hockey arena, our comps are TD Bank in Boston and Verizon Center in DC, maybe the Dunk in Providence? None of those creates any sort of gameday atmosphere. I'm sure they do well, but we'd be losing something if the arena went elsewhere.
Spot on. And TD Bank came to my mind, too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9878  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 1:41 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
What about the arena in Brooklyn?
I haven't been so I can't speak for the experience, but that could be a good comp. Can anyone speak to this?
__________________
You must construct additional pylons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9879  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 1:51 PM
Kidphilly Kidphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 899
this may be a dumb question, but I believe the galleria was build with the intent to support additional structures, could the galleria hold a stadium above it from 11th to 9th?

MSG is probably 3 or 4 stories above grade at the arena ground floor level, already parking and obviously transit and would not erode the street atmosphere. And with the convention center basically attached could be an attractive attachment for conventions


The market facing side could have an open concourse of glass and restaurants/bars, even active lighting as the trend seems that way there


just a brain fart but I would hate to see a big lot DT taken away for another large complex

I hate to see a lot taken by an arena DT

TD works because is little off the main beat and path
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9880  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 3:01 PM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I haven't been so I can't speak for the experience, but that could be a good comp. Can anyone speak to this?
Nothing about the Barclay Boondoggle is something we aspire to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:09 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.