HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:45 AM

Amazon's first book store in Denver not so urban but will locate in Lone Tree/Park Meadows instead, according to the DBJ.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
I'm stoked about Zara coming to Denver. I like their stuff a lot more than H&M. I remember speaking with a cashier at a Seattle location about how I wished that Zara would open a store in Denver. She remarked: "I think they are just sticking to the major US cities", ignoring the fact that Seattle and Denver are more or less the same size.
When Nike left Pavilions and H&M was to open, Zara was mentioned in a number of articles on DP and DBJ as the next store to open there, that was back in 2011. Inditex then stopped their US expansion and didn't resume it until recently. Not to be a dick, but Zara is just a Spanish H&M that exists in cities with population around 200k people in Europe, there is no reason for one not to open in COS over time as well. The cashier was rather ignorant of Zara's concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
I see that Zara is coming to Denver finally. First store at Cherry Creek mall but I’m sure they’ll have a 16th Street Mall location within a year or two. They are a step above H&M.
Their high street locations are rather nice in terms of the architecture of the exterior. I would love to have a Zara on 16th - possibly Market Station? They are gonna have a lot of retail, including 2 floors tall stores.

I wonder if they bring the rest of Inditex over time, they tend to come as a group of stores (Zara, Bershka, Stradivarius and Pull&Bear, sometimes Massimo Dutti). Now we need Primark, NewYorker (German H&M) and Terranova (Italian H&M) and my European heart will be happy.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:03 PM

Is it even possible to Kenect Denver?

According to RyanD/Denver Infill this Arapahoe Square project's design review process is a thing and you can read about the particulars there. Here's the rendering:

Courtesy DenverInfill from the submittal docs

Akara Partners is the developer so I wondered who is Akara Partners?

Akara is the Chicago based brainchild of Rajen Shastri. His track record is relatively brief but it is real. He's built three apartment projects in Chicago and last fall teamed up with Mortenson on a Home2 Suites by Hilton Hotel for Chicago's River North. For Mortenson, well known for their hotel developments, this will be their first project in Chicago.

Kenect is to be the apartment brand they export as they also have a proposed Kenect in Nashville.

Photo credit: Nicholas James Photagraphy via Curbed Chicago

A look through the new Kenect apartments on Milwaukee Avenue
By AJ LaTrace Oct 20, 2016 - Curbed Chicago
Quote:
...one of the biggest new developments for this popular corridor is the Kenect apartment complex. The project, which features 227 apartments, officially opened a few weeks ago and according to Akara Partners founder and CEO Rajen Shastri is nearly half leased.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:36 PM

I think it's awesome this project could spur a whole new wing of high-rises in the Arapahoe Square area. However, that blank wall in that rendering..... bleh.

I am going to assume these renderings are still preliminary and will get updated with time. So perhaps that will go away. At least this developer has some record......

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:27 PM

Kenect looks to be micro units.

"The typical residential floor is comprised of 16 units, 11 of which are studios at 360 sq. ft. in size. Three 1-bedroom units per floor measure 560 sq. ft., while two other 3-bedroom variations measures 1,125 sq. ft."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:04 PM

For these blank walls, I understand the economics of why they are there. What I don't get is why the developer can drop 10gs to get a bomb ass mural painted on it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
For these blank walls, I understand the economics of why they are there. What I don't get is why the developer can drop 10gs to get a bomb ass mural painted on it.
Oh.. I'm sure there will be some type of mural on it. But why pay for it? There will be plenty of businesses willing to pay to have something up there and and whoever runs that HOA will have a nice option to lease that space to offset their expenses.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I think it's awesome this project could spur a whole new wing of high-rises in the Arapahoe Square area. However, that blank wall in that rendering..... bleh.

I am going to assume these renderings are still preliminary and will get updated with time. So perhaps that will go away. At least this developer has some record......
Agree about the bleh Wall. Would love to see a Confluence like strucuture there.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:26 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Agree about the bleh Wall. Would love to see a Confluence like strucuture there.
I'm actually loving the International Style elements of this building- even the blank wall. Though I want to see what the material would be- maybe 34 stories of EIFS panels?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
I'm stoked about Zara coming to Denver. I like their stuff a lot more than H&M. I remember speaking with a cashier at a Seattle location about how I wished that Zara would open a store in Denver. She remarked: "I think they are just sticking to the major US cities", ignoring the fact that Seattle and Denver are more or less the same size.
Grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and Seattle and it's Metro area are massive in comparison to Denver and it's Metro. Denver and Portland are similar though size wise.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
Grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and Seattle and it's Metro area are massive in comparison to Denver and it's Metro. Denver and Portland are similar though size wise.
The cities are comparable: Seattle no doubt has grown faster than Denver of late, listed at 704,352 (2016) while Denver is listed at 682,545 (2015). The Seattle metro is much bigger at 3.7 million compared to Denver metro at 2.8 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I'm actually loving the International Style elements of this building- even the blank wall. Though I want to see what the material would be- maybe 34 stories of EIFS panels?
They have a new process where a drone sprays Teflon on the building sides; comes with a full guarantee that bugs won't stick to the sides of the building. They understandably call it their 'bug-free guarantee'.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The cities are comparable: Seattle no doubt has grown faster than Denver of late, listed at 704,352 (2016) while Denver is listed at 682,545 (2015). The Seattle metro is much bigger at 3.7 million compared to Denver metro at 2.8 million.

To be consistent, Seattle's population on July 1, 2016 was estimated at 704,300, while Denver's was estimated at 693,100. Comparing CSA's for the same date, Seattle-Tacoma was 4,684,500, while Denver-Aurora was 3,470,300.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:38 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
That is an odd sense to have. Portland feels lie a small town to me. Seattle feels bigger than Denver, for sure, but still in the same tier. (Despite all their recent success, it wasn't that long ago that Seattle was a city with NO rail transit.) I think the CSAs bear out the closeness. Seattle's core is better than Denver's, but that's not because of its inherent size - it's because they didn't stupidly gut their own city core through urban renewal to the extent we did. We've been playing catch-up from our own widespread destruction for decades.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
To be consistent, Seattle's population on July 1, 2016 was estimated at 704,300, while Denver's was estimated at 693,100. Comparing CSA's for the same date, Seattle-Tacoma was 4,684,500, while Denver-Aurora was 3,470,300.
Adding to what's already been said, the land area of Seattle's CSA is also far greater and encompass the entirety of the following metro- and micropolitan areas:
  • Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area
  • Olympia-Tumwater, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area
  • Bremerton-Silverdale, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area
  • Mount Vernon-Anacortes, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area
  • Oak Harbor, WA Micropolitan Statistical Area
  • Centralia, WA Micropolitan Statistical Area
  • Shelton, WA Micropolitan Statistical Area

The regions are actually similarly dense and if you extend the otherwise modest CSA of Denver (Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, Boulder and Greeley) towards Colorado Springs and Fort Collins, which is roughly the area Seattle's CSA currently encompass, you have a total population just shy of 5 million. Likewise, DIA (roughly 50 sq mi) takes up a third of Denver's total land area (city; 153.33 sq mi) so you end up with skewed density figures. Apples to apples, it's pretty close to Seattle in terms of density which is impressive since Denver is landlocked.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
That is an odd sense to have. Portland feels lie a small town to me. Seattle feels bigger than Denver, for sure, but still in the same tier. (Despite all their recent success, it wasn't that long ago that Seattle was a city with NO rail transit.) I think the CSAs bear out the closeness. Seattle's core is better than Denver's, but that's not because of its inherent size - it's because they didn't stupidly gut their own city core through urban renewal to the extent we did. We've been playing catch-up from our own widespread destruction for decades.
Add to that, the impact of geography on density - with the Puget Sound, Seattle waterfront and other geographic features naturally concentrating density on the urban core. For a city with endless miles of flat open country nearby and few geographic barriers to sprawl, Denver is remarkably dense.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 1:12 AM

Seattle (2016)
  • Population: 704,300
  • City: 142.5 sq mi
  • Airport: 3.9 sq mi / 2,500 acres
  • Density (adjusted):
    8,811/sq mi = 79.93 (142.5 (city) - 58.67 (water) - 3.9 (airport))

Denver (2016)
  • Population: 693,060
  • City: 154.97 sq mi
  • Airport: 52.39 sq mi / 33,531 acres
  • Density (adjusted):
    6,865/sq mi = 100.95 (154.97 (city) - 1.63 (water) - 52.39 (airport))

For the sake of comparison, let's take a look at another landlocked city, Phoenix. The fifthmost populous city in the country, on paper at least.

Phoenix (2016)
  • Population: 1,615,017
  • City: 518.90 sq mi
  • Airport: 5.31 sq mi / 3,400 acres
  • Density (adjusted):
    3,152/sq mi = 512.34 (518.90 (city) - 1.25 (water) - 5.31 (airport))

So there you have it. You would be hard pressed to find a landlocked city in the US that can rival the density of Denver. It has many coastal cities beat too.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:15 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Seattle feels a lot bigger than Denver to me, Portland a lot smaller, and Vancouver about the same.

Feels.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:00 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Seattle feels a lot bigger than Denver to me, Portland a lot smaller, and Vancouver about the same.

Feels.
Vancouver feels vastly larger than either Seattle or Denver to me. Interesting.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliorem View Post
So there you have it. You would be hard pressed to find a landlocked city in the US that can rival the density of Denver. It has many coastal cities beat too.
Interestingly, Phoenix neighborhoods (as Cirrus would say) *feels* more dense than Denver's, generally, although I can't think of anything as dense as Cap Hill. Phoenix has yuge chunks of land set aside as desert preserve including local mountains and three major wash systems used for flood control. Additionally, I'd guess as much as 25% of Phoenix is still undeveloped (especially on the north side).

The reason I mention Phoenix is that I'm familiar and to point out while statistics are good for ballpark comparisons, they don't talk, they don't paint pictures or conversely they lack context.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 2:33 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Vancouver feels vastly larger than either Seattle or Denver to me. Interesting.
I feel that as well. Though my frame of reference is skewed as it's been a moment since I last visited Seattle outside of airport layovers and it's only been a couple of years since I was last in Vancouver.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West