HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
I think it only makes sense if the Lions held training camp there at the same time. There is some fan base on the island and I know they do market there but costs add up to travel by ferry, maybe get a hotel etc. If they can market to the island and increase TV numbers and sell some gear too, it overall may have a net positive result.
When I was living on the Island I would go to a few games in Vancouver (When the Riders played them). Most of the times the games are played after 7pm so you would have to stay overnight (added cost). I think there was two times that I was able to attend a game and come back to the island after the game.
Once I was able to take public transport all the way from downtown Victoria to BC Place attend the game and come back again. All on the same day.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
When I was living on the Island I would go to a few games in Vancouver (When the Riders played them). Most of the times the games are played after 7pm so you would have to stay overnight (added cost). I think there was two times that I was able to attend a game and come back to the island after the game.
Once I was able to take public transport all the way from downtown Victoria to BC Place attend the game and come back again. All on the same day.
This year's schedule has one Saturday 4pm game (Oct 6 v. Argos). Which means you can watch the game and catch the ferry back to the Island without an overnight stay. This should be the game heavily marketed to Island fans (Not just Victoria -- Nanaimo as well, given their very strong minor/junior football program).

If well-received, the Lions can ask for more Saturday 4pm dates on next year's schedule.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 10:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
This year's schedule has one Saturday 4pm game (Oct 6 v. Argos). Which means you can watch the game and catch the ferry back to the Island without an overnight stay. This should be the game heavily marketed to Island fans (Not just Victoria -- Nanaimo as well, given their very strong minor/junior football program).

If well-received, the Lions can ask for more Saturday 4pm dates on next year's schedule.
If the new Halifax team is to be seriously marketed as an Atlantic or Maritime team, it would make sense for them to have as many afternoon games as possible too. Moncton is the nearest city and we're still nearly three hours away from Halifax. For day-trippers, afternoon games would be a must.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
BC Place with record crowds for World Rugby 7s this weekend.
I hope the Lions new president is able to tap into this kind of support. If rugby can draw 35,000 a game there is no reason the Lions cannot draw similar crowds.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...-draws-a-crowd

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 11:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
If rugby can draw 35,000 a game there is no reason the Lions cannot draw similar crowds.
The 35k number is for the full day of matches (each match is only ~20mins long), but yes.

http://www.canadasevens.com/schedule/

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Moncton is the nearest city and we're still nearly three hours away from Halifax.
More like two and a half. Airport to airport, which I deal with weekly is 2:10. I just googled Dartmouth Crossing to Stanfield and it said 19 minutes and Moncton to Dartmouth Crossing is 2:32. Not meaning to quibble, but a half hour, even fifteen minutes is a significant amount of time.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:08 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I hope the Lions new president is able to tap into this kind of support. If rugby can draw 35,000 a game there is no reason the Lions cannot draw similar crowds.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...-draws-a-crowd
I doubt rugby could draw 35k a game over an 8-10 game season.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:23 AM

If marketed and promoted properly long term the Lions in my opinion should be able to draw similar crowds to that of the Eskimos.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I doubt rugby could draw 35k a game over an 8-10 game season.
No team in Vancouver draws that so it would be immensely unlikely rugby could as well. 77k over two days is a great figure for a sport with no pro team presence.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 1:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
More like two and a half. Airport to airport, which I deal with weekly is 2:10. I just googled Dartmouth Crossing to Stanfield and it said 19 minutes and Moncton to Dartmouth Crossing is 2:32. Not meaning to quibble, but a half hour, even fifteen minutes is a significant amount of time.
I realize you're correct. I can be on the outskirts of Halifax in 2.5 hours from my house. I was factoring in time for traffic congestion around game time as well as time required to find a parking spot.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 5:45 PM

Speaking of rugby, Ontario Arrows have announce York University as their home venue for 2018 (2 ganes).

https://ontarioarrowsrugby.com/2018/...18-home-venue/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:13 PM

a bit deceiving marketing. over half those seats have now been removed.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
a bit deceiving marketing. over half those seats have now been removed.
Huh, good point, although I don't know if it's intentional misleading. The York website says 3700 capacity same as the release. Is that accurate for the post Panam capacity? I'm assuming it was case of using a nice picture?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:52 PM

When you look at Google Image Search it's almost impossible to find pics of York Stadium that show the side of the field without the temporary seating.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Wasnt to long ago they were. less than a decade actually. Pro sports is a funny game

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:35 PM

So it would seem the BC NDP was a little quick on the trigger and has messed up based on speculation, but regardless I love this quote:

In a separate report by Global News, a senior official with Canada Soccer, one of three national soccer federations involved in the United Bid Committee, expressed their frustration with the Vancouver bid debacle by saying “negotiating with the BC NDP is like negotiating with the Beverly Hillbillies.”

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-op...-cup-vancouver

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:14 PM

I'll give the BC NDP government credit with this one... I can imagine the costs will be huge, only to host a few games. Vancouver just hosted the Olympics only 8 yrs ago, and the women's WC only a few years ago, and have already showcased their world class city. No need to do it again so soon, for so much money.

Likely Edmonton , TO and Montreal to be the hosts, if the united bid wins.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:50 PM

Given Chicago and Minneapolis both dropped out for the exact same reason, I assume BC's concerns were justified.

Of arena-related note, Saskatoon is set to reveal a study it commissioned on a possible downtown replacement for Sask Place.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 9:04 PM

^ I thought the success of the Rush resulted in some cold water being thrown on that idea... the Rush are drawing well and the idea of a smaller downtown rink seems counterintuitive. Although that said, some MLL teams play in smaller, more WHL-sized venues so I guess it could work in Saskatoon too.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
I'll give the BC NDP government credit with this one... I can imagine the costs will be huge, only to host a few games. Vancouver just hosted the Olympics only 8 yrs ago, and the women's WC only a few years ago, and have already showcased their world class city. No need to do it again so soon, for so much money.

Likely Edmonton , TO and Montreal to be the hosts, if the united bid wins.
from what I am reading there are 2 issues

1 - they had until 2021 to still pull out if they didn't like it and

2 - it is being reported that Vancouver could have been a "hub" city including hosting the WC draw etc., fan party, warm up events etc.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanco...fifa-world-cup

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada