HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 9:25 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The idea being that Rauner is not very popular with Conservative Republicans, but may be able to win over moderate Democrats in the general election, knowing that the hardcore Republicans will obviously never vote for Pritzker.

Remember that what pissed off Republicans about Rauner was his failure to veer too far to the right on social issues (abortion, contraception, etc) thus he isn't as toxic in a general election where he obviously has to win some Chicagoland Democratic votes.

I think he toed the line here quite well. We will see if it leads to success or not.
I really hope moderate Democrats come out in spades for Rauner. They clearly exist... fucking Lipinski was able to win reelection somehow, right? lol

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 10:53 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Rauner has my vote. The only Democrat that might have possibly garnered by vote would have been Kennedy, and I still wouldn't have been happy about that.
Although an Ives victory would have probably forced me to vote for any Democrat, even JB.

I plan on keeping to my political strategy that I've had ever since I've been of voting age; Vote Democratic in the national elections, and Republican in the state/local elections. At least until the Democratic Machine is finally dismantled in this state.

At least Berrios is history...
That's an...interesting strategy. Best of luck with that. So you want four more years of absolute ineptitude and inaction? Cutting your nose to spite your face never works, fyi. How exactly do you expect the Democratic machine to become dismantled? By the GOP alone? That's another great strategy, considering they are fucking everything up at the Federal level. That type of mindset is what got us the antichrist in the White House. Thoughts and prayers.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 11:05 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
That's an...interesting strategy. Best of luck with that. So you want four more years of absolute ineptitude and inaction? Cutting your nose to spite your face never works, fyi. How exactly do you expect the Democratic machine to become dismantled? By the GOP alone? That's another great strategy, considering they are fucking everything up at the Federal level. That type of mindset is what got us the antichrist in the White House. Thoughts and prayers.
Voting Democratic in Illinois over and over again is one of the reasons that got us to this point to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I am a firm social liberal, I am pro choice, pro legalization of weed, pro free hospital care and social programs for the poor, etc. That being said, this state is such a fiscal basket case that it's causing residents to flee en masse on a scale that has no precedence in Illinois history. Mike Madigan and his ilk have been at the wheel for the past 35 years. If there is anyone that can take even a bit of the blame for the situation Illinois finds itself in, its definitely him.
I'm all for anyone who openly calls out Madigan. Rauner hasn't done a great job as governor I will admit, but he is at the very least attempting to get rid of business as usual in Springfield. And he is fairly liberal on social issues as well, for a Republican, making voting for him a little more palatable.

The antichrist in the White House definitely needs to go. And he can take Paul Ryan and McConnell the talking turtle with him.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
rauners gone. he was barely even able to hold off Ives. he got less votes in the primary than the 3rd place Democratic gubernatorial candidate. more Democratic ballots have been cast in the City of Chicago than Republican ballots in THE ENTIRE STATE OF ILLINOIS
Yeah but we have a closed primary. Just picking a Democrat ballot doesn't mean you vote Democrat in the general election. There is no way in hell I would vote for any of the Dems in the general, but I voted on the Democratic ballot in the primary so I could kick Berrios in the nuts and vote against JB (Kennedy was my pick). I am also definitely voting for Rauner. He might not have made much progress against Madigan, but at this point he might just outlive him. Also with the feeding frenzy in the Cook County Assessors office about to be cut off I think the Madigan machine is in serious trouble. Hopefully the whole racket will collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Examples? Precedents?
Like literally every national election where the extremist candidate gives the moderate a run for their money? This constantly happens in national politics.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:41 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Also with the feeding frenzy in the Cook County Assessors office about to be cut off I think the Madigan machine is in serious trouble. Hopefully the whole racket will collapse.
If the machine thought the hijinks in the Assessor's Office were crucial to their continued success, they would have pulled out all the stops to get him re-elected. Instead they threw him under the bus... that means they think he, and the property tax games, are expendable.

Quote:
I really hope moderate Democrats come out in spades for Rauner. They clearly exist... fucking Lipinski was able to win reelection somehow, right? lol
I'm not in Lipinski's district (just outside) but I supported him and I'm glad he won. Newman revealed her true colors last night after refusing to concede and just totally acting unsportsmanlike. I'm all for social justice, just not the "warrior" approach lol.

Although I do respect that Newman had her election night party at Marz Taproom in Bridgeport... Good beer will unite us all!

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 22, 2018 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:52 AM

I'm not reading into Ives giving Rauner a run for his money. I think he'll be more competitive in the general.

The ads are going to be nasty. Rauner is probably going to make every attempt to depict Pritzker as a Madigan puppet. It might work. I don't know how effective tying Rauner to Trump would be. It'll be interesting to see how competitive Pritzker is in collar and rural counties. I wouldn't be surprised to see DuPage, Lake, McHenry, or Will go for Rauner.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:59 AM

What a couple of shitty choices. Can never vote rauner, perhaps I'll write in or abstain.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Voting Democratic in Illinois over and over again is one of the reasons that got us to this point to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I am a firm social liberal, I am pro choice, pro legalization of weed, pro free hospital care and social programs for the poor, etc. That being said, this state is such a fiscal basket case that it's causing residents to flee en masse on a scale that has no precedence in Illinois history. Mike Madigan and his ilk have been at the wheel for the past 35 years. If there is anyone that can take even a bit of the blame for the situation Illinois finds itself in, its definitely him.
I'm all for anyone who openly calls out Madigan. Rauner hasn't done a great job as governor I will admit, but he is at the very least attempting to get rid of business as usual in Springfield. And he is fairly liberal on social issues as well, for a Republican, making voting for him a little more palatable.

The antichrist in the White House definitely needs to go. And he can take Paul Ryan and McConnell the talking turtle with him.
The bolded is spot on IMO. I don't think Pritzker will have an easy time tying Rauner to Trump. Real or not, Rauner has the ammunition he needs to paint Pritzker as a key part of the democratic machine. I will not be surprised if Rauner squeaks out the win or Pritzker barely gets by.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:12 AM

Cook County lost 20,093 in the newest county estimates.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
And the voters just kicked out two democratic Cook County Board members that were generally fiscally responsible and replaced them with people advocating for additional "revenue". Because Cook County can't cut spending.

Sure gonna help people stick around to have ever increasing taxes in Cook County.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:07 PM

So McCarthy is running for Mayor. He's probably the only potential candidate that I would consider voting for over Rahm. Should be interesting.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...nt=oft02a-1la1

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

With rahm and mcarthy splitting the white vote, I see this as the first very real opportunity for a latino candidate to possibly win the mayors office. Neither rahm nor mcarthy are going to get much love from the black community, so with the right latino candidate with enough crossover appeal, it could really happen.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:45 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
With rahm and mcarthy splitting the white vote, I see this as the first very real opportunity for a latino candidate to possibly win the mayors office. Neither rahm nor mcarthy are going to get much love from the black community, so with the right latino candidate with enough crossover appeal, it could really happen.
Good lord, I hope not a Chuy Garcia, “stop the gentrification”, “I hate white people”, “keep the nearly empty schools open because it keeps teachers employed” type. No thanks.

We either let the rebirth of the center city continue or we let he whole shithouse go down (quoting Jim Morrison here).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
But the Chicago region lost about $13k

Greg Hinz’s breakdown reveals a loss of under $75k households but a massive increase of 350,000 households making $75k since 2006.

Perfect time to impose a progressive income tax, kill off the only golden goose that’s laying eggs in Illinois any more, right Pritzker? Those evil millionaires making over $75k per year! How dare they?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
But the Chicago region lost about $13k

Greg Hinz’s breakdown reveals a loss of under $75k households but a massive increase of 350,000 households making $75k since 2006.

Perfect time to impose a progressive income tax, kill off the only golden goose that’s laying eggs in Illinois any more, right Pritzker? Those evil millionaires making over $75k per year! How dare they?
I don't see a progressive state income tax as a negative if property tax reform is also implemented.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I don't see a progressive state income tax as a negative if property tax reform is also implemented.
Agreed, but that isn't happening. Pritzker has his no toilet mansion getting very low assessments already

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:48 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
And where is the talk of property tax reform?

Are they being lowered? By how much? Is a committee examining this? Who is spearheading this? What is Pritzker's plan?

There isn't one. His plan is to keep buying commercials with images of him talking to children and black people, sometimes wearing a hard hat. What a slime ball. I can't believe anybody buys this BS. Illinois just keeps getting dug deeper into a hole, and the voters keep voting for the same group of lunkheads

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
There isn't one. His plan is to keep buying commercials with images of him talking to...black people
should his commercials feature him only speaking to white people? you return to this point disturbingly often.

i dont like Pritzker either, but jeeze...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:56 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
should his commercials feature him only speaking to white people? you return to this point disturbingly often.

i dont like Pritzker either, but jeeze...
No, my point is the guy just wants to buy the Governorship and offers nothing. No change from the status quo. He lies about caring about the people depicted in his commercials. He is awkwardly disingenuous

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:01 PM
The City

This recent commentary by an African American millennial says it best:

Quote:
J.B. Pritzker’s most recent wiretapping scandal illuminates two fatal flaws in his candidacy: a lack of authenticity and credibility, traits which are often vital components necessary to win over those folks in my age bracket, millennials. Pritzker, drenched in entitlement, has run his campaign as if the governorship is for sale to the highest bidder. Millennials desire a state that is functional and efficient; a state which secures our future against politicians who wish to levy ever-higher taxes against us to pay for perpetual mismanagement; a state that is progressive and equitable to all its people. We must reject politicians who insist on portraying themselves as champions of our values in public and, in private, display their true selves.
Read more here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...207-story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest