HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:28 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
They definitely need to narrow it. There's no reason for the street to be three-lanes both ways. That's basically a highway going right down the heart of our CBD. I'd love to see it narrowed like they did with Main Street, which was the same size across as State back in the day.
I look at it the other way that a wide State Street gives political cover for narrowing other parallel streets. With 3rd west, State Street, and 7th east as the "highways", the city can (and should) narrow every other north-south street (5th west, 4th west, 2nd west (done), Main (done), 1st east, 2nd east, 3rd east, 4th east, 5th east).

That said, State should have a decorative median and bulb outs where appropriate. Just because it is wide doesn't mean it needs a 45 mph design speed. Perhaps narrowing some of the lanes to 10' (or 11') and just leaving the outside lane at 12' for trucks. That frees up a few feet that can be added to the human space on the edges.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 9:08 PM
Engineer

As a resident of the Central City neighborhood, I think one of the most important things that should happen is an upgrade of 400 S between 500 E and 700 E. This area has survived as a 1000 foot wide 1500 foot long suburban style shopping center for a long time. With all the development that has gone up around it and with TRAX running right through the center of it, I really wish some sort of deal could be worked out for an urbanization of the area. Current businesses along the corridor could slowly be relocated to new, urban spaces, office space could be built along with more residential. I'm sure this area will continue to be redeveloped regardless, and all suburban style commercial areas will be eaten up by new developments (mostly residential) but it would be nice if this section in particular was guided by better planning, otherwise we could end up with a very messily developed area.

The first thing I'd want for the area is for the Smith's Marketplace to be rebuilt. I'm thinking it could be on one of the corners on 400 S on the block where Smith's is currently located. Parking for the store could be built on top of the store like the downtown Harmons. Even better, a mixed-use building could be built in that spot with Smith's occupying the first two or three floors, and parking would be underground. The Smith's store could have big windows fronting 400 S.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 10:16 PM

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
As a resident of the Central City neighborhood, I think one of the most important things that should happen is an upgrade of 400 S between 500 E and 700 E. This area has survived as a 1000 foot wide 1500 foot long suburban style shopping center for a long time. With all the development that has gone up around it and with TRAX running right through the center of it, I really wish some sort of deal could be worked out for an urbanization of the area. Current businesses along the corridor could slowly be relocated to new, urban spaces, office space could be built along with more residential. I'm sure this area will continue to be redeveloped regardless, and all suburban style commercial areas will be eaten up by new developments (mostly residential) but it would be nice if this section in particular was guided by better planning, otherwise we could end up with a very messily developed area.

The first thing I'd want for the area is for the Smith's Marketplace to be rebuilt. I'm thinking it could be on one of the corners on 400 S on the block where Smith's is currently located. Parking for the store could be built on top of the store like the downtown Harmons. Even better, a mixed-use building could be built in that spot with Smith's occupying the first two or three floors, and parking would be underground. The Smith's store could have big windows fronting 400 S.
Those are some great points. I live across the street from that Smiths. Even if we couldn't get it rebuilt, I'd love to see retail built along the street level at 500 and 600 East (think something small like the Coffee Bean on West Temple). Smith's has more parking than it needs and it would be a quick way to better activate the street.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 8:50 AM

Anyone have any information about the Block 67 project by Ritchie? On their website it says construction should start early 2018

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:35 AM

Thanks for that post of the new AC Marriott JMK. I'm diggin the interior. Very sharp. I'll be anxious to read the out of town visitor reviews on the place.

I don't mind when people speak of narrowing State Street by one lane on each side. That is, as long as by narrowing a couple of lanes they're thinking about BRT as the replacement of the two lanes. Of course, a generously landscaped median etc., but I agree with you I-215. There must be a certain amount of Utilitarian usage for State. I think BRT makes total utilitarian sense for swift commuter/shopper access for State, because of it's excellent backbone location. State Street in Salt Lake City/Metro could achieve everything that Wilshire and Olympic Blvd's struggle to achieve here in Los Angeles, but will never quite realize until ten's of billions of dollars have been spent over many decades. For the Wasatch Front the costs will be but a fraction of what Los Angeles is now having to dole out in subway expense to achieve the same result that the Wasatch will achieve at a small fraction of the cost per mile. I'm glad State Street is as wide as it is, if they'll finally use and plan it's access a lot more sensibly with added BRT.

Right now, BRT along State St. should be a no brainer, move to the top tier of funding for Salt Lake City and South Salt Lake. Along with that, all future commercial and residential development along Salt Lake's portion of State should be required to reflect the addition of BRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I look at it the other way that a wide State Street gives political cover for narrowing other parallel streets. With 3rd west, State Street, and 7th east as the "highways", the city can (and should) narrow every other north-south street (5th west, 4th west, 2nd west (done), Main (done), 1st east, 2nd east, 3rd east, 4th east, 5th east).

That said, State should have a decorative median and bulb outs where appropriate. Just because it is wide doesn't mean it needs a 45 mph design speed. Perhaps narrowing some of the lanes to 10' (or 11') and just leaving the outside lane at 12' for trucks. That frees up a few feet that can be added to the human space on the edges.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 27, 2018 at 12:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Not to be a stickler but this project is in Salt Lake City proper just west of 1-215 and around 1200 North.
SLCC Career & Technical Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Last edited by delts145; Jun 16, 2018 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 7:29 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
What are the most current vacancy percentages? Isn't it at 80% overall occupancy? I think that they have been waiting because the units in front of Temple Square have been the slowest to sell. They are more like 50-60% full, I think if Tower 2 was apartments it would fill up super quick, but I'm assuming that they don't want these to be apartments due to the proximity of Temple Square. In Seattle apartment tower and now condo tower units are flying off the shelf so to speak. There is a new condo tower that has begun construction, and it was sold out before it even started. Albeit, it is probably the first condo tower since the great recession. I think the LDS church is wise in their investments and will make a move on both Tower 2 and 8 within the next 5 years.
Man life gets crazy sometimes, I will work on an update soon.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 10:15 PM

State Street is awful along its entire length. If there's one project I would like to see bumped near to the top of the priority list, it would be the Life on State project or something similar.

Well that and real late-night/Sunday transit service.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:51 AM

Just a little Google Earth updating:

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:24 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I agree that State Street desperately needs help. The section of state between North Temple and 200S is horrible. It’s not just the street itself, it’s the engagement of the property. The two saving graces are probably Harmon’s and Maverick... other then that it’s a pretty boring strip of street.

A) The LDS church failed big time with its State Street engaugment when developing CCC.

B) The church office building is one of the most uninspiring property’s down town. I would like to see them implode that thing and then build 1-2 new towers... one being right on the corner. It would leave more of the inside of the block open and have much better Street engagement on state.

C) Somthing different need to be done with the ATT building. Department store would’ve been a nice fit at one point in time. I don’t know if any of them are going to survive though... but I think we need some sort of retail on the ground floor at least.

D) The San Francisco mint building needs to go

E) carl’s Jr. needs to be replaced with a really tall tower... with some sort of restaurant to retail in the base.

F) The building that is just north of the ZIMS building is an absolute joke. They basically tore down most of the building and just left the front 30 to 40 feet so that they could build a parking garage behind it. To add spaced to the building they filled in what used to be a really nice recessed entryway. Now it just kind of looks like shit and there isn’t much you can do with it. I’m not sure what the solution to this is. That parking garage should have never been built there. The one on regent street is okay because it’s in the center of the block... but this one is so close to State Street that you can really just put a façade building in front of it which is basically what’s there... they should probably just tear down that parking garage and build something useful there... The front of that building could probably be restored and used.

G) 151 will help assuming it has somthing engaging in the base.

H) Yes, State Street needs to be narrowed in someway I really don’t like the idea of extending the sidewalks out because that pushes things further into the block. It might be OK to bring the sidewalks out just a little bit so the trees could be planted... if the sidewalks are not already wide enough for that. I would rather see something done with the center of the street though.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:53 PM

Downtown Adj. - Central Ninth's Transformation Continues

Mike Fife Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/pic...ion-continues/

Jefferson Walkway

Most of the six new cottage homes in the Jefferson Walkway project are sold or under contract, the covered parking spaces are going in, and the one remaining facet of the project,
renovating the historic home that was moved to a new location is underway. Priced in the mid-$400s, these 1,560 square-feet detached homes are advertised as net-zero ready.

Jefferson Walkway as seen looking east from 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

Green Print Apartments

Across the TRAX line from the Jefferson Walkway, is the now-completed Greenprint Apartments, a micro-unit project on the 800 South block of 200 West. The project contains 60 small studio-like apartments and no onsite parking.

The Greenprint Apartments as seen from the west side of the 800 south block of 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

Washington Street Townhomes

Developer Daniel Jensen’s five rental townhouse project on the east side of the 900 south block of Washington Street is now completed.
The project consists of five one-bedroom apartments and as with the Greenprint, there is no onsite parking.

The Washington Street townhomes as seen from the 900 south block of Washington Street. Photo by Mike Fife.

200 West Apartments

A block to the east from the Washington Street projects is the 200 West Apartments on the 900 South block of 200 West.
The project is nearly complete and consists of 50 one-bedroom units in a three-story building. There is a rear-parking structure with 30 spaces and 20 surface parking spots.

The 200 West Apartments as seen from the 900 south block of 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

The TenFifteen Apartments

The TenFifteen Apartments on the 1000 South block of 200 West are now leasing. The four-story project has 54 residential units,
11 of which are reserved for renters earning 50 percent of the area median income (AMI). The project has 54 surface parking spaces.

The northwest corner of the TenFifteen apartments and the C9 Flats in the background as seen from 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

The C-9 Flats

The C9 Flats, at the corner of Goltz Avenue and 200 West, are currently being framed out. The project has two six-story buildings, four floors of apartments above two floors of parking.
The two buildings contain a total of 97 apartments and are connected by a walkway on the upper stories.

Aerial rendering of the C9 Flats. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

The C9 Flats as seen from 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

The Alinea Lofts

Framing will soon start on the Alinéa lofts, a mixed-use project located on the northeast corner of 900 South and 200 West, north of the Central Ninth Market and just east of the 900 South TRAX station.
This project will have 24 for sale units that will be mostly townhomes with some condo units above ground floor retail space fronting 900 South.

Rendering of the southwest corner of the Alinéa Lofts. Image courtesy LandForge Inc.

The southwest corner of The Alinéa Lofts as seen on 900 South between Jefferson Ave and 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

The Ruby

Construction on The Ruby townhouse projects is well underway. The development includes 12 for- sale townhomes on the west side of West Temple between 800 and 900 South. The project has four buildings, with garages accessed from the interior of the lot. Six of the units will front West Temple and the other six will front the alley running behind the development.

The Ruby townhouse project as seen looking south on West Temple. Photo by Mike Fife.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 29, 2018 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks Orlando.

I do like the thought that these could/should be all under construction this year.

The other projects are the block 67 - Ritchie group projects. Phase 1, 2 11 story buildings (Residential and Hotel) should be starting construction soon as well.

I do hope that all the projects happen as it would be a large change to the city.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
State Street is awful along its entire length. If there's one project I would like to see bumped near to the top of the priority list, it would be the Life on State project or something similar.

Well that and real late-night/Sunday transit service.
Yes State is dreadful. Beautification should be the minimum they do. I would want a dramatic slowing of traffic (30 mph).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
G) 151 will help assuming it has something engaging in the base.
My understanding is there will be no retail at the base, so in that respect epic fail.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

I have a hard time having any street designed to prioritize the car commuter over the land owner/resident/pedestrian/cyclist. Street after street in Utah has been changed over time to accommodate the commuter and because of that screws the property owners along the road and really within 2 blocks. 700 East is a perfect example. I drive that everyday and the common speed is 50-55, with 40 being the limit in SLC and 45 outside of the city. It ranges from 5-9 lanes wide! South of 21st it turns into a de facto highway with 9 lanes and design speed of 50-55! At the same time you have single family home front doors 30 feet off the road! This destroys property values and creates a very large impediment for pedestrians. All this because keeping commuting times to a minimum is given priority over all other considerations. I think the local residents should be given priority.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:

Hey Orlando,

Are the Grey blocks some of the new buildings you have designed??? Lolololol

I couldn’t resist

Thanks for the visuals. It keeps our spirits up in this time of concern over steel prices and the effects it could have. With your position and contacts could you shed some light on the Steel Tarrifs or is it still in flux? The news seems to suggest negotiating is happening with many countries which may soften the blow to steel prices.

Please share info

Thanks

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:04 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
I have a hard time having any street designed to prioritize the car commuter over the land owner/resident/pedestrian/cyclist.
Ideally a street should serve all users. I do agree that in downtown, State Street under-serves the pedestrian and bicycle traffic that is prominent.

It's also important to remember that some streets need to serve cars, too. State plays a very important role in meeting regional mobility goals when you get into Murray, Sandy, etc. I admit I sit on a weaker case in the central business district, though.

Quote:
Street after street in Utah has been changed over time to accommodate the commuter and because of that screws the property owners along the road and really within 2 blocks.
Sort of. In the central core, I do agree that the street needs some TLC. At minimum a raised median and narrowed lanes would help. It would be interesting to look at traffic volumes to see if reducing from 6 (3 each way) down to 4 (2 each way) would be do-able. It sure would be nice to free up some space for some bicyclist facilities.

Quote:
700 East is a perfect example. I drive that everyday and the common speed is 50-55, with 40 being the limit in SLC and 45 outside of the city. It ranges from 5-9 lanes wide! South of 21st it turns into a de facto highway with 9 lanes and design speed of 50-55!
That's what 700 East is designed to do. Move a buttload of trips. It serves a role in keeping parallel streets quiet is because 7th East "takes one for the team."

Planners are a bit too enthusiastic in their view that a road diet will always be accommodated by a mode shift to walking, cycling, etc. I wish they were right, because we could solve all capacity issues by eliminating capacity.

In actuality, at best maybe 5-10% of travelers will shift modes. The rest simply shift to parallel routes.

Quote:
At the same time you have single family home front doors 30 feet off the road! This destroys property values
Debatable. Commercial property along 700 East does great. But do we really want to spread the cancer out by pushing traffic off 7th onto 9th and Highland and 13th north of I-80?

If traffic noise drops property values as you say, I'd think spreading it throughout many neighborhood streets would be a lot worse than consolidating it into one big facility.

Quote:
creates a very large impediment for pedestrians.
I do think a few more signalized pedestrian crossings are possible, and can be meshed into the existing signal timing to activate when platoons of traffic aren't going by.

Quote:
All this because keeping commuting times to a minimum is given priority over all other considerations. I think the local residents should be given priority.
That may be true for local streets, but this is a state highway (US-89). State highways serve entire regions. A balance needs to be struck between mobility needs and local needs.

Outside urban cores, not ever street can be a 20 mile-per-hour lane lined with people drinking coffees at sidewalk cafes. Even the biggest urbanite on this board will, at times, rely on regional mobility to travel outside their neighborhood.

---------------

I think of the phrase, "Can't the Farmer And The Cowman be Friends?" from Oklahoma. In this case, it's can't the planner and the engineer be friends.

We are both working together to make livable, great cities. In the 20th century, I agree engineers ran away with meeting capacity and mobility and "ghettofied" many urban areas in SLC.

It can be equally bad if planners run away and damage mobility and capacity requirements.

I hope the 21st century is one that strikes a balance.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Downtown Adj. - Central Ninth's Transformation Continues

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/pic...ion-continues/

Jefferson Walkway

Most of the six new cottage homes in the Jefferson Walkway project are sold or under contract, the covered parking spaces are going in, and the one remaining facet of the project,
renovating the historic home that was moved to a new location is underway. Priced in the mid-$400s, these 1,560 square-feet detached homes are advertised as net-zero ready.

Jefferson Walkway as seen looking east from 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

Green Print Apartments

Across the TRAX line from the Jefferson Walkway, is the now-completed Greenprint Apartments, a micro-unit project on the 800 South block of 200 West. The project contains 60 small studio-like apartments and no onsite parking.

The Greenprint Apartments as seen from the west side of the 800 south block of 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

Washington Street Townhomes

Developer Daniel Jensen’s five rental townhouse project on the east side of the 900 south block of Washington Street is now completed.
The project consists of five one-bedroom apartments and as with the Greenprint, there is no onsite parking.

The Washington Street townhomes as seen from the 900 south block of Washington Street. Photo by Mike Fife.

200 West Apartments

A block to the east from the Washington Street projects is the 200 West Apartments on the 900 South block of 200 West.
The project is nearly complete and consists of 50 one-bedroom units in a three-story building. There is a rear-parking structure with 30 spaces and 20 surface parking spots.

The 200 West Apartments as seen from the 900 south block of 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

The TenFifteen Apartments

The TenFifteen Apartments on the 1000 South block of 200 West are now leasing. The four-story project has 54 residential units,
11 of which are reserved for renters earning 50 percent of the area median income (AMI). The project has 54 surface parking spaces.

The northwest corner of the TenFifteen apartments and the C9 Flats in the background as seen from 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

The C-9 Flats

The C9 Flats, at the corner of Goltz Avenue and 200 West, are currently being framed out. The project has two six-story buildings, four floors of apartments above two floors of parking.
The two buildings contain a total of 97 apartments and are connected by a walkway on the upper stories.

Aerial rendering of the C9 Flats. Image courtesy Salt Lake City planning documents.

The C9 Flats as seen from 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

The Alinea Lofts

Framing will soon start on the Alinéa lofts, a mixed-use project located on the northeast corner of 900 South and 200 West, north of the Central Ninth Market and just east of the 900 South TRAX station.
This project will have 24 for sale units that will be mostly townhomes with some condo units above ground floor retail space fronting 900 South.

Rendering of the southwest corner of the Alinéa Lofts. Image courtesy LandForge Inc.

The southwest corner of The Alinéa Lofts as seen on 900 South between Jefferson Ave and 200 West. Photo by Mike Fife.

The Ruby

Construction on The Ruby townhouse projects is well underway. The development includes 12 for- sale townhomes on the west side of West Temple between 800 and 900 South. The project has four buildings, with garages accessed from the interior of the lot. Six of the units will front West Temple and the other six will front the alley running behind the development.

The Ruby townhouse project as seen looking south on West Temple. Photo by Mike Fife.

In this case it should read that Mike Fife reports, he did all the reporting for this update.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:20 AM

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:50 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Anyone have any information about the Block 67 project by Ritchie? On their website it says construction should start early 2018
Probably more of the same Pencil. A lot of hype, then....nothing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West