HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
The Laurel is Coming, Just Not Until 2019

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-just-not-2019
This has been in the planning stage with Southern for 3 years, so I'm alittle numb about believing any projected dates that far out. But for reasons I don't understand I feel better about this project getting built then SLS. It might have to do with the fact that Southern is not asking the State for a $20M handout!

I would guess that the construction of this would take at least 2 1/2 years. That means if someone today was willing to put a few thousand $$$ down on a future condo the first date that they could actually think about moving in would be late 21 or early 22. This seems like a very long, long time to wait. Sure this is a great location and even if the interiors are everything one could want, that's along time off in the future.

Maybe some investors will want to get in early hoping that by the time its finished the market will have increased and they could sell their rights and show a profit

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 10:47 PM

The Laurel made a banner. Ergo, that means this MUST be happening!
In all seriousness, they are setting up a sales office. All my intel says this happening. I don't know why it is so long delayed, though. I do not have intel suggesting that SLS is a go. But someone on here who is in the construction business insisted that it is a little while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
This has been in the planning stage with Southern for 3 years, so I'm alittle numb about believing any projected dates that far out. But for reasons I don't understand I feel better about this project getting built then SLS. It might have to do with the fact that Southern is not asking the State for a $20M handout!

I would guess that the construction of this would take at least 2 1/2 years. That means if someone today was willing to put a few thousand $$$ down on a future condo the first date that they could actually think about moving in would be late 21 or early 22. This seems like a very long, long time to wait. Sure this is a great location and even if the interiors are everything one could want, that's along time off in the future.

Maybe some investors will want to get in early hoping that by the time its finished the market will have increased and they could sell their rights and show a profit

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:39 PM

I'm amazed that people still have faith in this developer.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
But if they pull out, they've wasted all this money on a banner! This can't be!!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 2:57 PM
Philly Rising Up!

It will be the greatest marketing scheme that netted yet another phantom building. LOL.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Why? They built 3601 Market. They've jumped through all the hurdles thrown at them for this project. Why are you so amazed?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
But if they pull out, they've wasted all this money on a banner! This can't be!!
I got u fam

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:10 PM

^^^ Thank god there's a plan B. The sky will not fall. Any idea who the architect will be, Lord Foster?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
I got u fam

hahahaha

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 10:31 PM

Thyme are sending lot of communications right now to anyone who signed up for purchasing/renting info

trying to schedule time, no real content in the emails (got three this week)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:21 AM
build awesome buildings

https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...9?rt=55802#ath

Interesting perspective from other developers on this project. Hopefully they’re right and this is a big success (which i very much agree with).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:40 PM

Apparently there was news last week and nobody posted anything here:

http://planphilly.com/articles/2018/...groundbreaking

A soaring luxury apartment tower planned for the last undeveloped corner of Rittenhouse Square got the green light to move forward from the Philadelphia Historical Commission’s Architectural Committee on Thursday.

The committee’s recommendation of the 1911 Walnut St. tower paves the way for a likely approval from the full commission and an early 2019 groundbreaking.

The project’s owner and developer, Southern Land Company, bought the 1907-1914 Walnut Street site and an adjoining parcel at 1906-1920 Sansom Street in 2015 and have worked for past two years to build public support for the planned 48-story, nearly 600-foot-tall skyscraper. As a result of this long-burning consensus-building process, the mostly high-end residential and retail development will preserve the vacant Warwick Apartments and Rittenhouse Coffee Shop buildings on the Sansom Street lots and reuse them as affordable housing.

The current plan for the two historic buildings includes 30 units of housing for veterans at 60 percent of area median income (AMI) or less. In the Philadelphia region, the 2017 median income was estimated at $83,200 so the income limit for the building would be $49,920 for a family of four.

In the tower itself, six or seven of the tower’s 185 rental units will be made available for those making 80 percent of AMI, which equals out to $46,600 for one person, $59, 900 for a couple or $71,900 for a family of three. In addition to the apartments, the building will include hotel rooms and on the top floors, 80 lux condos expected to sell at a starting point of $2.5 million.

These various concessions and the long civic engagement process that birthed them didn’t satisfy all of Nashville-based Southern Land Company’s new neighbors.

“The idea of a 48-story building going in across the street frankly scares us,” said Ben Heizen, a representative of the Church of the Holy Trinity, which neighbors the site. “I thought I heard [Southern Land’s lawyer] say that the neighborhood groups had all agreed to this proposal. That simply isn’t true.”

Heizen said he wanted vibration testing done in the basement of the church and professional photos taken of both the interior and the exterior, so they could measure damage construction might cause. He also asked the Architectural Committee to delay its consideration of the project. They refused, noting that neighbor relations were not within their purview.

Dustin Downey, the principal for this Southern Land project, attempted to address Heizen's concerns and those of David Schwartz, owner of 1902 Sansom, who was irked that he hadn’t been included in the outreach process. Schwartz’s building is next door to the vacant historic buildings, and he fears the disruption caused by their extensive rehabilitation. At almost 600 feet tall, the planned development will dwarf 1902 Sansom and other nearby buildings.

“This civic engagement process was a new process for us and it hasn’t always been absolutely crystal clear,” said Downey, noting that they’d been told not to engage one-on-one with individual parties. “On public record I will give you my personal guarantee and my corporate guarantee that we will do everything we can [to assure Trinity and other near neighbors].”

Downey noted that the company altered their plans for the project’s foundations to mitigate vibrations. Instead of drilling into the rock below, they will instead be pouring a huge concrete mat slab foundation to build atop of. The second Comcast tower, which stands at 1,121 feet and 60 stories, executed a similar maneuver.

At the Architectural Committee meeting, the members proved mainly concerned with mitigating the project’s effect on the historic environment, asking Southern Land to consider pulling an amenity deck on the 26th floor further back from Sansom Street to make it less visible to passersby.

The historic facade of the Rittenhouse Coffee Shop building will be preserved and serve as an entrance to the affordable apartments housed in the Warwick building. But because most of the coffee shop building is wood that has rotted over time, the facade is the only part of it that will be salvaged, with the rest of the building reconstructed.

Earlier on, Project Home was expected to manage the development’s 30 units of affordable housing But six months later, an exact deal still hasn’t been worked out.

“We are still working with Project Home, but we do not have a deal,” said Downey, when asked about the negotiations after the committee meeting. “We greatly hope they can become a part of the project. But, ultimately, Southern Land is committed to building the Warwick and the Coffee Shop as affordable housing no matter what, with or without their involvement.”

Downey said the shift to specifically turning the historic buildings into affordable housing for veterans occurred about six months ago. Previously, they had been reported as housing for recently homeless individuals.

The exact number of moderate-income units in the luxury tower itself — whether six or seven — will depend on the final market-rate unit count. The affordable units will not be earmarked for veterans.

At Tuesday’s meeting, the Architectural Committee also recommended approval of a 23,000- square-foot roof deck for the former Lit Brothers building at 701 Market Street. The roof deck will be part of the Five Below headquarters.

While the deck addition is expected to move forward briskly, the committee repeatedly informed the company’s representatives that it could not be visible from the street below. A passerby on Market street has to be able to look up without breaking the illusion that the Lit Brothers building is basically the same as it was in the 19th century. (The huge wrap-around digital sign certainly breaks that vision, but it is within the technical guidelines of the regulations in that it replicates a commercial sign that existed there historically.)

“It’s not a question of being inconspicuous, it has to be invisible,” said Nan Gutterman, a historic preservation architect who it’s on the committee.

Mark Merlini of Brickstone Realty says that the company will be moving forward with the roof deck, no matter the constraints, and says that it will likely feature “soft seating,” televisions, and cooking equipment.

“It’s very critical for Five Below moving in,” Merlini told PlanPhilly. “Their targeted employees are millennials so they are working very hard and diligently to get this very nice deck.” Merlini says Five Below plans another roof deck on the western side of the roof as it ramps up operations and occupies a greater portion of the building in the near future.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 11:59 AM
PHL

If Ben Heizen and his church would like to start paying taxes then I'd be happy to listen to his opinion on this project.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
If Ben Heizen and his church would like to start paying taxes then I'd be happy to listen to his opinion on this project.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
It's a church. They're tax exempt. It's not like they're deadbeats like Larry Krasner!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
It's a church. They're tax exempt. It's not like they're deadbeats like Larry Krasner!
The point is they shouldn't be tax exempt. Or at least they certainly shouldn't have any say in civic matters if they're not contributing taxes to their community like all of their neighbors.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
The point is they shouldn't be tax exempt. Or at least they certainly shouldn't have any say in civic matters if they're not contributing taxes to their community like all of their neighbors.
Congress made a policy decision that churches should be tax exempt. Though you can quibble with the rationale, the calculus cannot be that they should be silenced as to all civic matters and engagement. I would more ignore them here because they have no valid argument and the expressed concerns have no basis in fact. If there was a real risk that this construction is likely to cause structural damage to the church without careful precautions, what they say should not be ignored because of their tax exempt status. But their concerns in this case are fictional.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Congress made a policy decision that churches should be tax exempt. Though you can quibble with the rationale, the calculus cannot be that they should be silenced as to all civic matters and engagement. I would more ignore them here because they have no valid argument and the expressed concerns have no basis in fact. If there was a real risk that this construction is likely to cause structural damage to the church without careful precautions, what they say should not be ignored because of their tax exempt status. But their concerns in this case are fictional.
In my view they probably know their concerns are baseless. They are just using them as a pretext to complain about the development. Of course I don't know this for certain because I cannot read their minds, but the compliant they raised would be a perfect way to try and cease development while shielding themselves from criticism over their tax status.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 2:30 AM

Quote:
I'll agree that any valid concern about safety should be listened to regardless of the source. I don't think this is that.

I also didn't say that churches should be silenced on civic matters. I'm simply of the opinion that they shouldn't have much say in community matters if they're not willing to contribute tax dollars to the community like everyone else. We can agree to disagree on that point.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 11:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Congress made a policy decision that churches should be tax exempt.
Congress doesn’t make policy. Congress makes laws.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive