HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Did someone dress up a corpse and drag it out to this celebration? (bottom right)
Zombie Jets fan?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Only in Canada do we argue about the TV coverage while ignoring the fact that both Canadian teams in the playoffs got their asses handed to them in the most
recent playoff game.
Just like you are ignoring the fact that Winnipeg has a 2 -1 lead in their series, and is heavily favoured to win the series?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I think it's obvious that any comments about fans here relate to you know... the fans here, on this board.
So all 8 or 10 of us? Should we take it personally then? Or just ignore it as petty spite and jealousy?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Did someone dress up a corpse and drag it out to this celebration? (bottom right)
Weekend at Bernie's?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 11:11 PM
ハルウララ

We don't have enough to argue about in this thread, so here's something:

On the eve of the playoffs, when surely this story would be swept over, Friedman reported on the potential for a second franchise in the GTA:

"1. From time to time, the NHL receives inquiries from potential ownership groups. During the expansion process that spawned the Vegas Golden Knights, one Canadian group reached out with a question: Would you consider another franchise in the Toronto area? Created by Pasquale (Pat) Paletta as a beef slaughter and meatpacking operation in 1951, Paletta International expanded into real estate and construction. It’s not imminent, and it’s far from certain, but, according to several sources, the NHL and the Palettas have continued to discuss the possibility. Key to its conversations is land the family owns in Burlington, west of Toronto. It is believed the family would build the arena where a potential team would play. Pat’s son Angelo is the point person on the project. Attempts to reach him were politely declined.

“They are trying the Mark Chipman route,” one source said, referring to the Winnipeg Jets owner. “Don’t say anything that upsets the NHL.”

At the board of governors meeting in December, the league announced Seattle is next on the docket, with a franchise fee of US$650 million. The 2020–21 season is the likely target, although that could be complicated by CBA discussions. It will be fascinating to see where this goes."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...rds-race-ever/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:21 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, it would certainly brown off the Quebec City folk if Bettman goes for a second GTA team before a team in QC.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:33 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Well, it would certainly brown off the Quebec City folk if Bettman goes for a second GTA team before a team in QC.
It's not Bettman's decision. It's the decision of the 31, soon 32, members of the BoG.

A second GTA team makes more financial sense for the NHL than a team in QC, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:51 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

What do you think the chances are that, once having reached 32 teams, that the league might simply have a "big" expansion next time around to 36 teams in order to keep symmetry between the conferences and divisions?

Maybe in 2026 add four franchises (GTA#2, Quebec City, Houston and, I don't know, San Diego).

You may scoff at San Diego, but I spent a week in San Diego once during hockey playoff time and the games were always on in the sports bar I hung around in. They seemed quite popular. If Las Vegas can be a roaring success with a new franchise, why not San Diego.........

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 1:29 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
What do you think the chances are that, once having reached 32 teams, that the league might simply have a "big" expansion next time around to 36 teams in order to keep symmetry between the conferences and divisions?

Maybe in 2026 add four franchises (GTA#2, Quebec City, Houston and, I don't know, San Diego).
I don't see why the NHL would feel the need to bump from 32 to 36. 34 would be a likely landing spot, and GTA2/Houston wouldn't be bad shouts.

Quote:
You may scoff at San Diego, but I spent a week in San Diego once during hockey playoff time and the games were always on in the sports bar I hung around in. They seemed quite popular. If Las Vegas can be a roaring success with a new franchise, why not San Diego.........
The arena is ancient and only holds 13K for hockey.

San Diego did lead the AHL in total attendance this season (9.3K), so there is that.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 2:22 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I don't see why the NHL would feel the need to bump from 32 to 36. 34 would be a likely landing spot, and GTA2/Houston wouldn't be bad shouts.

The arena is ancient and only holds 13K for hockey.

San Diego did lead the AHL in total attendance this season (9.3K), so there is that.
That must be the same one the San Diego Mariners played in, in the WHA. It was in the 13,000s somewhere. They were owned by Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald's.

If they can get around $1 billion for an expansion team, they will be expanding. I think you can count on that.

Back in the days of the San Diego Mariners, there were already as many as 32 teams between the two leagues and life went on.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:

I suspect that the NHL will want to consolidate their gains for now.

There's a couple of chronic problem teams (Carolina, Arizona) that they might want on better footing before planning another expansion.

Better to have 32 teams on solid ground with cities champing at the bit for an expansion team as opposed to the ugly prospect of contraction like the MLB faced in the early 2000s.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:59 PM

Plekanec making me eat crow after calling him out yesterday. Played easily his best game since we got him.

The Leafs finally came to compete, now have to keep it up for the next 3 games.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:37 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
And you are basing this on what? A couple of random comments on an internet forum about skyscrapers? Do you realize how many tens of thousands of hard core Jets fans exist? And you paint them all with the same brush with your snarky comments? Time to grow up.
LOL. Read my post again when you calm down and than insert foot in mouth for proving my point.

For reference ... here's the opening line.
I can't speak for Winnipeg but, there has been a level of immaturity on the part of SSP Jets fans here.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 8:36 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

A little housecleaning by the Flames today.

Head coach Glen Gulutzan, Assistants Dave Cameron and Paul Jerrard are shown the door.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...an-assistants/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:03 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Head coach Glen Gulutzan, Assistants Dave Cameron and Paul Jerrard are shown the door.
Unsurprising. That team is better than how they played this past season.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
A little housecleaning by the Flames today.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...an-assistants/
I think it needed to be done

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 3:33 AM
BANNED

Jets now up In the series 3-1!!!

Sorry, was that too immature???

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post

3 exclamation points is a little much.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post

Jets getting it done. A very impressive showing of speed, strength, skill and determination. And congratulations to Hellebuyck for the shutout and Vezina nomination! If they beat the Wild, they will surely be in tough next round. But I will enjoy this victory for now, and continue to be a loyal supporter of this team, win or lose.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:16 AM
arf

Nice to see Helle come up with a great game. The Jets need him to come up big.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada