HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 4:23 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
That's amazing. At the rate Austin's skyline is growing, it could become Texas' premier skyline. To me, it's already the best looking in the state, and one of the best in the country when you look at it from various angles.
Dallas has ~130 built highrises taller than 35 meters (115 feet) in the skyrise belt from Downtown thru Uptown and Turtle Creek situated in a nearly continuous urban built environment.

Austin and Houston, in comparison, each have ~120 built highrises taller than 35 meters (the minimum cut-off on this forum's database in their urban skyline belts from Downtown (in Austin, thru West Campus). That's no slouch in comparison, if we're only considering total number of highrises.

San Antonio has ~60 and Fort Worth ~40. Of course, this doesn't consider highrises elsewhere in these cities.

Each downtown really excels at a different form of urbanity. Houston excels at height, Dallas at architecture/lighting, Austin at density, San Antonio at preserved urban fabric, and Fort Worth for keeping its historic charm.

If Austin wants to have THE signature skyline of Texas, it needs the height and architecture as well as the density. Four or five well-designed buildings over 800'+ and a supertall with a distinctive crown would be the key to "signature" status, in my eyes.

Last edited by wwmiv; Mar 27, 2018 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Dallas has ~130 built highrises taller than 35 meters (115 feet) in the skyrise belt from Downtown thru Uptown and Turtle Creek situated in a nearly continuous urban built environment.

Austin and Houston, in comparison, each have ~120 built highrises taller than 35 meters (the minimum cut-off on this forum's database in their urban skyline belts from Downtown (in Austin, thru West Campus). That's no slouch in comparison, if we're only considering total number of highrises.

San Antonio has ~60 and Fort Worth ~40. Of course, this doesn't consider highrises elsewhere in these cities.

Each downtown really excels at a different form of urbanity. Houston excels at height, Dallas at architecture/lighting, Austin at density, San Antonio at preserved urban fabric, and Fort Worth for keeping its historic charm.

If Austin wants to have THE signature skyline of Texas, it needs the height and architecture as well as the density. Four or five well-designed buildings over 800'+ and a supertall with a distinctive crown would be the key to "signature" status, in my eyes.
I wasn't aware Dallas has more then Houston.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

All good points, although I was referring solely to downtown and the way it has come together relative to the central downtowns of the other cities. That's not to downplay the others...they're nice as well. And Houston and Dallas have all the outlying skylines that I wish Austin had, but doesn't.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 11:36 PM
クラブトクヨ

I like the Dallas skyline, would love to see Austin get a super tall.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:51 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Well, Houston does have more high rises than Dallas. Most of Dallas' high rises are clustered either in downtown, uptown or along a few of the freeways. I do think Dallas has more high rises clustered in their downtown and uptown, which has really become an extension of the downtown skyline. Houston's downtown is pretty isolated from the other clusters, but the clusters they do have like the Texas Medical Center and Uptown/Galleria are big, tall and dense skylines to themselves. Houston's uptown/galleria area by itself would rank one of the state's biggest skylines, and I think I read once that the medical center has more square footage than Fort Worth's downtown.

Austin may even end up eclipsing Dallas for the number of buildings over 400 feet in the not too distant future, but they still have many more buildings over 500 feet than we do. Most of Austin's gains has been in the 400 foot range.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 8:07 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
As Kevin hints at above, this is because the Downtown+Uptown Dallas skyline (a distinct cluster) has more skyscrapers than downtown Houston's skyline cluster. The city of Houston has more skyscrapers overall, however, because there are many major ancillary nodes that Dallas has yet to match.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 10:26 AM
Meh

By the way, Austin actually has 188 completed high rises citywide now. We also have 19 more under construction and 5 more doing their site prep. So in less than 2 years, Austin will have more than 200 completed high rises. That's still far fewer than both Houston and Dallas, which I'm sure each has several hundred high rises. Houston might even have more than 600 or more of them.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:44 PM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 6:16 PM
Meh

Construction is planned to start within 6 months.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...st-avenue.html
Quote:
Developer details timeline, switch to condos for sky-scraping downtown tower
48 East Avenue project adds luxury amenities to bustling Rainey Street amid condo boom

By Marissa Luck – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
5 hours ago

As one condo high-rise wraps up, another one begins. The developers behind a 33-story condo tower in the Rainey Street Historic District say they plan to break ground on the project by the end of the year.

48 East Avenue was first proposed about four years ago as an apartment tower, but now Pearlstone Partners said it will build 215 for-sale condominiums instead.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 2, 2018 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 8:07 PM

looks good!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:50 PM
Meh

Actually, it looked better before they changed the design, and it was a wee bit taller - 370 feet. I do like the current design ok, it certainly isn't bad, but the older one would have been a bit more unique. This was the old design:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I think this pool rendering might be new:

Here are the other ones that might have been on one of the links posted earlier:

Source: STG

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 10:37 PM
Meh

The 58th floor of the Independent has been poured. It's now at 626 feet.

Construction cam *note - select the "skyline" link.
https://www.workzonecam.com/projects...nt/workzonecam

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 8:15 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
By the way, Austin actually has 188 completed high rises citywide now. We also have 19 more under construction and 5 more doing their site prep. So in less than 2 years, Austin will have more than 200 completed high rises. That's still far fewer than both Houston and Dallas, which I'm sure each has several hundred high rises. Houston might even have more than 600 or more of them.
I saw somewhere recently that Austin's urban core alone (river to 15th Street) has some 34 towers (over 300' in height) either proposed, working through entitlements, approved or under construction as of right now.

WOW!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I saw somewhere recently that Austin's urban core alone (river to 15th Street) has some 34 towers (over 300' in height) either proposed, working through entitlements, approved or under construction as of right now.

WOW!
It's 36 now. Several of them are on shaky ground, but it's still a pretty impressive number considering how many have been completed in recent years.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:08 AM

The density downtown is impressive as well. I have a question. Since so many towers are being built downtown, is that area in danger of running out of available lots to build on or is there any natural barriers that would get in the way of development?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:17 PM
クラブトクヨ

I think there are still plenty of lots with low story buildings that could eventually be demolished for a new development, if the market demand was there.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
The density downtown is impressive as well. I have a question. Since so many towers are being built downtown, is that area in danger of running out of available lots to build on or is there any natural barriers that would get in the way of development?
I don't think so... there's still lots of empty lots.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
I don't think so... there's still lots of empty lots.
There are still a lot of potential sites for high rises that would require minimal Demo. But it's a lot less than one would assume buy looking at an aerial of downtown because the CVCs prohibit high rise development in large sections of downtown.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 11:26 PM
Meh

Austin's "2nd downtown" in the making, though, at this point I'd call it our 2nd skyline and take a wait and see approach to printing any other labels.

Still, to be talking about the possibility of 360-foot buildings outside of downtown would have been unheard of even a few years ago. Technically Austin has already had some decently tall buildings outside of downtown for decades thanks to the UT Campus and West Campus, but those two neighborhoods make up the same skyline that downtown does. Plus, in 2014 the first 200+ foot tall building came to the south shore just across the river from downtown, but again, that building is part of the downtown skyline, especially since downtown wraps around that area as the river turns.

The Broadmoor and Domain developments will be the first time we've truly had buildings of that height in a skyline defined separately from downtown. 360 feet will be way taller than anything currently outside of downtown. Excluding the UT Campus, West Campus, and the south shore area, the tallest building outside of downtown now is 159 feet. 360 feet tall would have been Austin's 3rd tallest building up until 2004 when the Hilton and Frost Bank Tower were finished that year. 360 feet today would be Austin's 21st tallest.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...ncil-approval/
Quote:
High-intensity, mixed-use redevelopment of IBM Broadmoor Campus gets initial Austin City Council approval

By Christopher Neely | 5:06 pm April 16, 2018

A high-intensity, mixed-use redevelopment of the IBM Broadmoor Campus in North Austin is poised for final approval by Austin City Council following an initial thumbs up at the April 12 City Council meeting.

IBM has occupied the roughly 66-acre tract at 11501 Burnet Road since the campus’s development in 1991. Future plans for the campus include a mixed-use development with a new Capital Metro Rail Station, at least 2,000 housing units and building heights of up to 360 feet.

The plan has the full support of the nearby Gracywoods Neighborhood Association, and the zoning change request that would allow the development to double its height earned first-reading approval from Austin City Council on April 12. City Council will conduct a public hearing before the final two readings of the zoning change sometime around May.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 12:38 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Austin's "2nd downtown" in the making, though, at this point I'd call it our 2nd skyline and take a wait and see approach to printing any other labels.

Still, to be talking about the possibility of 360-foot buildings outside of downtown would have been unheard of even a few years ago. Technically Austin has already had some decently tall buildings outside of downtown for decades thanks to the UT Campus and West Campus, but those two neighborhoods make up the same skyline that downtown does. Plus, in 2014 the first 200+ foot tall building came to the south shore just across the river from downtown, but again, that building is part of the downtown skyline, especially since downtown wraps around that area as the river turns.

The Broadmoor and Domain developments will be the first time we've truly had buildings of that height in a skyline defined separately from downtown. 360 feet will be way taller than anything currently outside of downtown. Excluding the UT Campus, West Campus, and the south shore area, the tallest building outside of downtown now is 159 feet. 360 feet tall would have been Austin's 3rd tallest building up until 2004 when the Hilton and Frost Bank Tower were finished that year. 360 feet today would be Austin's 21st tallest.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...ncil-approval/
Nice! Look forward to the development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations