HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:56 PM

If it is tucked away along the rail line like the market building is tucked away I could probably handle it. But to have this across the street from the CMHR and Esplanade Riel promenade would be a travesty. Budget design has no place in our main tourist destination. But the forks development co (or whatever they are called haha) have done such a good job lately that I imagine this will turn out quite nicely so I'm not actually too worried.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:05 PM

That is an absolutely horrible design for The Forks and does nothing to enhance the wider area. The Forks is the city's showpiece and abuts on to a National Historic District (though if the demolitions and additions continue as they have been in recent years, that designation may be removed).

The architects in Winnipeg have tremendous issues with aesthetics. I wonder if the root of the problem is misanthropy or body dysmorphism or if it is just an adherence to the local "any development, no matter how ugly, just for the sake of development" philosophy.

Winnipeg needs to start awarding an annual Carbuncle Cup for the ugliest building of the year. There would never be a dearth of competition.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:06 PM

^ Yes, The Forks has certainly earned a measure of trust. They've done good work over the years. But I think the whole Canalta debacle of a few years back demonstrates that people have high expectations for that site.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I’m not sure what that hosting site you’re using is, but it seems to think I’m interested in sexy Asian babes. Not that there’s anything wrong with sexy Asian babes but i don’t recall ever googling them.
I believe google adds now reads your mind to determine the best adds for you.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I’m not sure what that hosting site you’re using is, but it seems to think I’m interested in sexy Asian babes. Not that there’s anything wrong with sexy Asian babes but i don’t recall ever googling them.
I click on it and it just expands the picture. No Asian babes. Maybe you have a bug?

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 4:06 PM

Here are better images

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 6:31 PM
What could go wrong?

You are a genious WpG GuY. Thank you!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 6:49 PM

One thing I haven't heard about in a while is the plans for the promenade/to shrink Forks Market/Asper Road.

Initial renderings had the promenade on the west side (railside) and street on the east (CMHR). I personally think it should be flipped. The promenade should be on the river side to run alongside CMHR, festival field, existing attractions IMO for a few reasons:

1) It wouldn't have York running right through it
2) It would better connect with Waterfront Trails and Esplanade Riel to the new Tache Loop
3) Doesn't make sense to have this pedestrian promenade on the east side when there's already going to be a promenade of sorts on that side running through all the new Railside buildings, and up over York
4) Makes sense to separate it from the residential/shops and have it in the more "active" and green area of the site.

Thoughts?

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 6:49 PM

Huh. Makes it looks like the buildings in Railside will be sited to actually address an adjacent street or alley in some kind of meaningful way. How 'un-European.'

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
One thing I haven't heard about in a while is the plans for the promenade/to shrink Forks Market/Asper Road.

Initial renderings had the promenade on the west side (railside) and street on the east (CMHR). I personally think it should be flipped. The promenade should be on the river side to run alongside CMHR, festival field, existing attractions IMO for a few reasons:

1) It wouldn't have York running right through it
2) It would better connect with Waterfront Trails and Esplanade Riel to the new Tache Loop
3) Doesn't make sense to have this pedestrian promenade on the east side when there's already going to be a promenade of sorts on that side running through all the new Railside buildings, and up over York
4) Makes sense to separate it from the residential/shops and have it in the more "active" and green area of the site.

Thoughts?
They didn’t receive any submissions that met their standard of criteria so it’s Been put on the back burner

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That is an absolutely horrible design for The Forks and does nothing to enhance the wider area. The Forks is the city's showpiece and abuts on to a National Historic District (though if the demolitions and additions continue as they have been in recent years, that designation may be removed).

The architects in Winnipeg have tremendous issues with aesthetics. I wonder if the root of the problem is misanthropy or body dysmorphism or if it is just an adherence to the local "any development, no matter how ugly, just for the sake of development" philosophy.

Winnipeg needs to start awarding an annual Carbuncle Cup for the ugliest building of the year. There would never be a dearth of competition.
I am not a fan of the design, as it's a bunch of random ideas put together, but there is an answer to your problem.

Money. Everything costs tons of money. Now this could be way better but generally speaking I find the demands of SSP are probably a tick or two beyond what Wininpeg can financially achieve.

And YES, it is for the sake of development/money! Otherwise you lose money! And if you lose money in real estate, it's tons (not tens) of thousands or millions! Development is not a charity.

And yes this building is dopey.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Probably just a quick rendering, not actual...right?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:55 PM

A ton of leasable space just opened up in Union Station – I believe Environment Canada gave up a lot if not all of their space.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:58 PM

^ Any word on where they're going?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Any word on where they're going?
I have a feeling they've likely just shuttered a lot of jobs. With everything going digital, how much is really needed in each city?

They had half of the main floor north wing (space not occupied by TFNP) as a mailroom with a single employee. Tried to get rid of the space 2 years ago for TFNP, but the lady that worked there launched a union complaint that they didn't have a right to decrease her space. She won, so for the last 2 years a single person has been occupying ~3000 sqft of space on the main floor. To sort mail.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I have a feeling they've likely just shuttered a lot of jobs. With everything going digital, how much is really needed in each city?

They had half of the main floor north wing (space not occupied by TFNP) as a mailroom with a single employee. Tried to get rid of the space 2 years ago for TFNP, but the lady that worked there launched a union complaint that they didn't have a right to decrease her space. She won, so for the last 2 years a single person has been occupying ~3000 sqft of space on the main floor. To sort mail.
That's one hell of an office

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Probably just a quick rendering, not actual...right?
definitely hope so, but usually it is some for of a design language indicator... ie, in this case more 247 condos or Alt Hotel than the McMillan, or in a different direction 390 Waterfront, TNS, or 300 Main

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
definitely hope so, but usually it is some for of a design language indicator... ie, in this case more 247 condos or Alt Hotel than the McMillan, or in a different direction 390 Waterfront, TNS, or 300 Main
i really hope they don't do that green wall thing. they're a cute idea but hard to keep alive, and ugly once dead

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
i really hope they don't do that green wall thing. they're a cute idea but hard to keep alive, and ugly once dead
Is that supposed to be grass or something like that?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Yeah, nice in the summer, but not nice our other 8 months lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan