Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Now that Philadelphia has surpassed the height of the Chrysler building, the next Comcast tower should surpass the ESB.

Thoughts?
ESB is no longer the standard bearer for height. Our next tallest should be as tall as it needs to be, without comparing it to the ESB or any other building.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 11:59 PM
Mr. Technology

You will find that taller buildings define the skyline much better than shorter ones.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 1:00 PM

Quote:
You will find that taller buildings define the skyline much better than shorter ones.
Say that to Wilmington, Delaware, but unfortunately there isn't demand here to build tall. If there isn't demand in Philly for a super tall or a mega tall, than what is the point?

Last edited by jonesrmj; May 29, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 11:17 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Say that to Wilmington, Delaware!
I had to look it up!
OMG!!

That is utterly depressing!
I had no idea life was so bad elsewhere in the country!!

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:54 PM

I know this may be shocking to you but we don’t really care about NY

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
And? The Empire State Building is currently the 6th tallest in New York and losing that marker fast. There is nothing particularly salient about the Empire State Building as a benchmark to pass. (Producing something equally iconic would be terrific, though.) When the demand is there and the right tenants line up, there will be a tower here that's taller than CTC and Empire State Building. Tail can never wag the dog.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
And? The Empire State Building is currently the 6th tallest in New York and losing that marker fast. There is nothing particularly salient about the Empire State Building as a benchmark to pass. (Producing something equally iconic would be terrific, though.) When the demand is there and the right tenants line up, there will be a tower here that's taller than CTC and Empire State Building. Tail can never wag the dog.
True. I also indeed think that the fact that Philly's tallest going from 975 ft. to 1,121 ft. is a great increase itself (146 ft. to be exact). While skyscraper development really excites us and we would love for tall buildings to be built, We need to understand the demand circumstances before complaining. I would also love to see a new tallest in Wilmington, and have complained about it a lot on the Wilmington thread, but all I did was annoy people and waste time, and with a weak demand for offices, it doesn't really make sense. I do hope that America won't end up like other countries that build skyscrapers just to have them there and be vacant.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
True. I also indeed think that the fact that Philly's tallest going from 975 ft. to 1,121 ft. is a great increase itself (146 ft. to be exact). While skyscraper development really excites us and we would love for tall buildings to be built, We need to understand the demand circumstances before complaining. I would also love to see a new tallest in Wilmington, and have complained about it a lot on the Wilmington thread, but all I did was annoy people and waste time, and with a weak demand for offices, it doesn't really make sense. I do hope that America won't end up like other countries that build skyscrapers just to have them there and be vacant.
I don't think developers in America are likely to build spec office towers. Wilmington seems to be turning the corner now. Really nice things happening with its hotel, residential, and restaurant scene. Hopefully that will translate to some new highrises down the line before TOO long.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 11:56 AM

Just wanted to report that there are Trees up in the lobby

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:00 PM
Fishtown & Country

^ Looks good... nice pics

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 11:36 PM

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 1:34 AM
SWING DOWN AND CARRY US..

The CITC is a nice looking building, but it’s no game changer. It’s very uninspiring and the roof height is shorter than th Comcast Center. The only rede mable quality of the tower is its spire, but it still pales in comparison to the American Commerce Center, which was very 21st Century in design and an innovative tower at that, as well as truly being the tallest in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania had the ACC had backing from the city, the state, and business leaders.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The CITC is a nice looking building, but it’s no game changer. It’s very uninspiring and the roof height is shorter than th Comcast Center. The only rede mable quality of the tower is its spire, but it still pales in comparison to the American Commerce Center, which was very 21st Century in design and an innovative tower at that, as well as truly being the tallest in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania had the ACC had backing from the city, the state, and business leaders.
The CTC is very late 2010s. We're rapidly approaching this new era of Neo Deco, and this building has, in my opinion, lead the charge like the ESB lead the charge of Art Deco.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:11 AM

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:49 AM

I can't believe how much this building has grown on me. I like it more each day. It's now my third favorite in the city, behind Liberty 1 and 3 Logan Square.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Lol.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 4:03 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
I never understood the hype behind the American Commerce Center. In my opinion, the design was super bland and screamed generic 2010's supertall, plus it's lower section was a total disaster. I can think of many buildings built in the last two decades that are similar in appearance to the ACC, unlike Comcast Two which stands out on it's own and isn't just another glass box with it's edges wedged off. Sure the ACC would have been taller but Comcast Two is much more iconic and innovative with it's massing and materials that give it so much more personality. In time I'm sure it'll become synonymous with Philadelphia and it's shape will appear in numerous Philadelphia souvenirs. Overall I think Philly got the better of two options!

Curbed Philadelphia: https://philly.curbed.com/2014/1/21/...ommerce-center

Last edited by Patrick; May 31, 2018 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:38 PM

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Talking about ACC is like contemplating how politics would be different if we hadn't split from Britain. That ship has long since sailed. The current Legoland Tower, er CTC, is growing on me. :-)

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:44 PM

Sheesh, a lot of people still have a boner for ACC from 2008. Time to move on from that folks...LOL.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I never understood the hype behind the American Commerce Center. In my opinion, the design was super bland and screamed generic 2010's supertall, plus it's lower section was a total disaster. I can think of many buildings built in the last two decades that are similar in appearance to the ACC,
Curious what those buildings are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture