HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:22 PM

The Mandela: Struggle for Freedom exhibit opens up this Thursday at CMHR.

https://beta.humanrights.ca/

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:09 PM

That would be interesting. Should round up the wife and check that out.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:04 PM

The more I look at CMHR the more I think that the main entrance is a design fail. The grandiose entrance situated at Israel Asper and York looks like the main entrance, but it's only the entrance for groups. Stand by there for a few moments and you will see people walking to those doors, realizing it's the group entrance, and walking away to the other side.

Everyone else goes through the main entrance which in reality looks like a side door. The various tall grasses planted nearby help make it look forlorn.

I guess we're stuck with the doors being the way they are but I'm surprised this wasn't better anticipated at the design stage.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 7:19 PM

I was just having this conversation with someone as we walked in (the group entrance) last week. It's so dumb, no one would ever think the entrance would be off the shitty path leading to Esplanade Riel. Makes no sense – and I never go in the main entrance because it's way further.

There's really no difference in size of the space inside entering either way, so they could change it easily now IMO.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 9:04 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I was just having this conversation with someone as we walked in (the group entrance) last week. It's so dumb, no one would ever think the entrance would be off the shitty path leading to Esplanade Riel. Makes no sense – and I never go in the main entrance because it's way further.

There's really no difference in size of the space inside entering either way, so they could change it easily now IMO.
Sounds a lot like the Royal Ontario Museum, where they have finally given in and reopened the traditional main entrance as an alternative to the hard-to-find entrance via Liebeskind’s ungainly “Crystal” addition.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 11:28 PM

I dont think it really matters which entrance you use no one is going to kick you out for using the group entrance. It’s a universally accessible museum so any entrance the public can use, this one is simply the designated group entrance for organization and control purposes. There is alot more space at the group entrance so when dealing with 60 school age children it’s easier than trying to do that in the limited space in the lobby entrance.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:05 AM

the museum should be lit like this all the time

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 3:02 AM

Apparently the Asper Foundation's next big museum project is still moving along... this time it will be the World's Jewish Museum in Tel Aviv. Frank Gehry is the architect and a couple of months ago he gave an interview to the Jewish Journal which provides some insight into the whole thing:

https://jewishjournal.com/cover_stor...m-in-tel-aviv/

As for the museum itself, here's a rendering:

Planned opening is in 2023.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Apparently the Asper Foundation's next big museum project is still moving along... this time it will be the World's Jewish Museum in Tel Aviv. Frank Gehry is the architect and a couple of months ago he gave an interview to the Jewish Journal which provides some insight into the whole thing:

I gotta say the Aspers sure do a lot for people, I’ve always admired Izzy and Gail, she is such a kind and generous person, we are lucky to have had them do all the things they have for this city. Thank God Gail took charge after Izzy passed away or else we wouldn’t have our museum. I look forward to visiting the Jewish museum in Israel one day. Not a huge fan of the design though.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 4:26 PM

^ I'm sure having Gehry involved is an effective way to encourage big grants and donations as deep pocketed people might like the reflected glory of supporting a project that can boast of having such a prestigious architect. But at the same time, the less than subtle design seems to make the whole thing less about the museum and more about Gehry which I can't say I'm all that fond of.

Other big name architects that have done or still do this building-as-sculpture thing somehow managed to it in a slightly subtler way. Someone like Zaha Hadid didn't design every building in a way that hit you over the head with the fact that it was a Zaha Hadid.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Looks like an old oil refinery with the distillation side of it encased in a concrete sarcophagus!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:44 PM

^ So, not a fan?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Even free the museum can't draw flies! Just saying!

from the freep

CMHR swaps free nights, from Wednesdays to Fridays
10/29/2019 9:27 AM
The Canadian Museum of Human Rights is swapping its free and discounted ticket nights from Wednesdays to Fridays, starting this week.

The museum will be open on Friday nights, with free admission after 5 p.m. on the first Friday of each month. General admission will cost $5 on every other Friday.

Billed as Friday Night Rights, on a typical Friday, $5 will get visitors access to seven levels of exhibits and a special behind-the-scenes guided tour (which is being offered both in English and French) of hidden spaces.

The museum will be closed on Wednesday nights after Oct. 30.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Even free the museum can't draw flies! Just saying!
How did you deduce that from the article? Staying open late Friday is consistent with what some other cultural facilities do, including the WAG.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
How did you deduce that from the article? Staying open late Friday is consistent with what some other cultural facilities do, including the WAG.
The museum is closing Wed. nights, demand is probably negligible most nights, suppose Friday for free at least draws a bit more interest, lets hope!

Wife of an acquaintance works there, should I share what really goes on there?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:04 PM
Winnipeg

Well. I'm going this Friday no matter what you say. Is there any use to "enthusiastically" express the opinion here that "the Museum is a failure"? I'm bamboozled

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Well. I'm going this Friday no matter what you say. Is there any use to "enthusiastically" express the opinion here that "the Museum is a failure"? I'm bamboozled
Seriously? Who did that, if the truth hurts about the museums bottom line and viability too bad, any publicly funded entity should be under scrutiny, no?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:21 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Seriously? Who did that, if the truth hurts about the museums bottom line and viability too bad, any publicly funded entity should be under scrutiny, no?
Yes, I can agree with you on that, but I'd say things can be looked from many perspectives.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Yes, I can agree with you on that, but I'd say things can be looked from many perspectives.
Far enough, not painting you with the same brush but some in here paint my narrative as being a cheerleader for the crowd that wants the museum to fail, I don't! I agree that not all publicly funded endeavours need to turn a profit but on the other hand museums and such need to show that visitors are actually showing up.

But having that hard talk about long term viability and finances on a publicly funded museum is a must!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Far enough, not painting you with the same brush but some in here paint my narrative as being a cheerleader for the crowd that wants the museum to fail, I don't! I agree that not all publicly funded endeavours need to turn a profit but on the other hand museums and such need to show that visitors are actually showing up.

But having that hard talk about long term viability and finances on a publicly funded museum is a must!
I assume you also disapprove of the government losing money subsidizing fossil fuel companies?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan