HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 9:31 PM

Clock finally struck 12

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:30 AM
arf

Well. One good thing happened tonight.

Congratulations to the Capitals. I was rooting for Ovechkin to hoist the trophy in his career.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 12:17 PM

Ya glad Ovechkin won it. One of the great players you wouldn't want to see retire without one. Unfortunately my other top two in the same boat, Iginla and Lundqvist, are probably out of luck.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 12:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Very happy for Ovi - he seemed so joyous hoisting the cup.......

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Apparently 44% of televisions in Vegas were tuned into the game last night as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
But I was told the arena was mostly tourists and the local market didn't care!1!!1one
Aren't 44% of televisions in Vegas hotel rooms?

Quote:
I can't think of a scenario where a coach more overwhelmingly deserves the Jack Adams than this year with Gallant. He's arguably the best coach in the league at this point.
I can agree with that. I think the NHL gave Vegas a ridiculously generous expansion draft, with existing teams facing strict protection rules while Vegas player selection rules was much more flexible. That said, it takes a damn good coach to take all of these solid players and get them to buy into the new system with a new team and play well together.

I was glad to see Washington win.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:09 PM

Glad Ovi finally won but I'm equally glad Vegas lost. Hopefully this kind of gimmicky thing never happens again.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 4:25 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
Glad Ovi finally won but I'm equally glad Vegas lost. Hopefully this kind of gimmicky thing never happens again.
Seriously. Cap space is not worth nearly as much as the other 30 GMs originally valued it at.

Seattle is going to face a very different reality.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post

What did you find gimmicky?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 12:54 AM

I don't think Ovi has let go of the cup since the game ended. His wife might be sleeping the couch for a couple days.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 1:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Seriously. Cap space is not worth nearly as much as the other 30 GMs originally valued it at.

Seattle is going to face a very different reality.
Not sure what you mean by that. If I was Seattle's GM I would try and load up on as many draft picks as possible in the first few years of existence The way the expansion draft works now, Seattle is going to have an opportunity to load up on draft picks the way Vegas did (Vegas had 3 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders as their first 5 picks in the '17 draft). Vegas traded away a lot of there 2018 draft picks, which is probly how they managed to get to the final, nut in the long run I think that was a mistake. Seattle should just stay terrible for a few years and build up a huge stockpile of blue chip prospects.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:53 PM

Ovi at the Nationals game:

Ovi at a night club:

https://twitter.com/lasagnaliana/sta...511368192?s=21

Ovi getting thirsty:

https://twitter.com/rachel__nichols/...416729603?s=21

Ovi "the morning after":

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 7:46 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Not sure what you mean by that. If I was Seattle's GM I would try and load up on as many draft picks as possible in the first few years of existence The way the expansion draft works now, Seattle is going to have an opportunity to load up on draft picks the way Vegas did (Vegas had 3 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders as their first 5 picks in the '17 draft). Vegas traded away a lot of there 2018 draft picks, which is probly how they managed to get to the final, nut in the long run I think that was a mistake. Seattle should just stay terrible for a few years and build up a huge stockpile of blue chip prospects.
The way that Vegas ended up with so many picks, was by picking up contracts from other teams to free up cap space.

That isn't going to be a thing for Seattle. The teams will cut their losses and resign themselves to losing a player to expansion.

They will be able to acquire picks after the draft by unloading players in the same way Vegas did, but they won't be offered picks the same way.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:26 AM

Leafs didn't get very far this year, but at least the Marlies did.

Canada's team in the AHL playoffs? Honestly, might not even be Toronto's team. Not sure how many people cared or were even aware.

Happy for them though.

Quote:
TORONTO — Andreas Johnsson scored two goals and added an assist as the Toronto Marlies beat the Texas Stars 6-1 on Thursday night to win the Calder Cup final in seven games.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:30 AM

The best thing about them winning the Calder Cup is that the team isn't stacked with washed up or never-been NHL players. Most of them are 23 years old and younger.
Some good young talent on that team.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 10:51 AM

Yeah congrats to the Marlies. Watched the game last night, Johnsson was unreal which was not surprising, great in his limited NHL time also.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:47 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The best thing about them winning the Calder Cup is that the team isn't stacked with washed up or never-been NHL players. Most of them are 23 years old and younger.
Some good young talent on that team.
It's not just the Marlies...The AHL as a whole has slowly transitioned from being a B league to being a U25 league. It's good to see for development. When Saint John won the Calder in 2001 it was mostly washed up older guys who had no shot of playing at the NHL level.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
It's not just the Marlies...The AHL as a whole has slowly transitioned from being a B league to being a U25 league. It's good to see for development. When Saint John won the Calder in 2001 it was mostly washed up older guys who had no shot of playing at the NHL level.
The original Manitoba Moose were definitely weighted toward older players and had a focus on winning vs. player development (although they were pretty good with the latter, a lot of players from the Canucks' most recent glory years spent time in Winnipeg). The rationale was that fans in Winnipeg wanted to see a competitive team so it wouldn't be enough just to have a bunch of prospects getting it handed to them every night. These days, not surprisingly, it's all about player development with a much younger team than before.

I wonder if there are still any of those more independent-type AHL teams that bring on a lot of veterans in an attempt to run up the Ws?

And oh yeah, congrats to the Marlies... what a season for them.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:37 PM

It's the future of the NHL and I think it's great for the game. If you're going to have long-term success in a competitive salary-cap league, you need those 4-5 young guys at the top of your AHL team fighting for a spot in the big leagues.

It's also great from an entertainment perspective. I didn't really have any desire to go watch an AHL game with a bunch of 30 year old players who will likely never make it to the show. Now I can go to a Marlies game for $20 and watch the future of the Leafs with Liljegren, Kapanen, Johnsson, Sparks, etc.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:15 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
IMO, the IHL was the 'B' league. The AHL for many, many years has had limits on the number of 'veteran' players that could be in the lineup.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada