HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I think I have officially lived here long enough now to know anything with the name "Buzz Geller" tagged with it is to be immediately written off as a no-go, conceptual project that has a -100% chance of getting built....

Why does anyone take this guy seriously anymore?

Could be right, but of course the linked story didn't say Buzz was developing the land but that the land was under contract to a third party and implying that "someone else" was developing the land. The most recent stories linked the Hines Corporation to the property. Hines has an impressive development record.

We will see!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I always felt that 17th and 19th were the high streets of Uptown, and 20th was meant to have more of a residential feel. But, I also frequented the area when the Horseshoe was the Painted Bench and the Fountain Bar so it certainly had a sleepier feel.
The thing is Alexan has frontage on 19th as well -- which is like 80% deadspace with parking lot screening. It is as pedestrian unfriendly as you get -- and TCR designed it that way knowing the city was converting 19th and 20th to become more pedestrian friendly. It doesnt even have to be retail along 19th, but at least make it interact with the street. TCR just doesnt care --- about anything. There is zero thoughtfulness in any of their designs beyond cramming as many units and pools into a barge. And then they seeminlgy go through and see what they can do to the facade to make sure it sticks out like a turd.

As the surrounding neighborhood continues to develop with nice, activating designs like the Ace Hotel and Nava condos, the Alexan is just going to be that 'dead' block among a sea of pedestrian activity.

Last edited by Robert.hampton; Jun 13, 2018 at 5:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 5:59 PM

Nice article on the Rockies project - https://www.denverpost.com/2018/06/1...redevelopment/

And the Catalyst on RiNo has attracted another major tenant - https://www.denverpost.com/2018/06/1...-neighborhood/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Could be right, but of course the linked story didn't say Buzz was developing the land but that the land was under contract to a third party and implying that "someone else" was developing the land. The most recent stories linked the Hines Corporation to the property. Hines has an impressive development record.

We will see!
Assuming the land is in fact under contract Buzz is merely waiting for his closing check.

I'm skeptical Hines is involved. Somebody suggested PM Realty Group who recently finished The Confluence which would make sense. Like Hines, their HQ is in Houston.

Other prospects could include Holland Partners. While they've built more on the downtown periphery they have built high rises in Seattle. Interestingly Holland has a reported 18 properties in Denver against 14 in Seattle.

I have this gnawing feeling that it could be a local developer. Simpson comes to mind. Speaking of Hines, now that Trevor has gotten his feet wet he would presumably have the connections to pull off such a project. Continuum, East West Partners, David Zucker/Zocalo or even McWhinney? Somebody else?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Nice article on the Rockies project - https://www.denverpost.com/2018/06/1...redevelopment/
/[/url]
I hope they make a beer garden in that plaza. It would be such a chill night to go there and watch a Rockies (away) game lounging with a brew.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:31 PM
Never Dell

A beer garden in an atrium sounds like the definition of hell for the residents upstairs.

The mix of housing and bars is tough in cities. Generally people like a little separation, aside from the few who can turn out "woo" people at 1:00 am.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
A beer garden in an atrium sounds like the definition of hell for the residents upstairs.

The mix of housing and bars is tough in cities. Generally people like a little separation, aside from the few who can turn out "woo" people at 1:00 am.
can you share the definition of a 'woo' person ?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
can you share the definition of a 'woo' person ?
From Urban Dictionary:A women usually between the ages of 18-24 who shows her excitement and fun that she is having with her friends by exalting with a "WOOO" usually in unison with 4-5 other whoo girls

LODO has these types in spades on weekend nights. You'll see them teetering on their high heels followed by the dude bros picking fights with each other.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:05 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Let this classic clip of aughts-decade television bring you up to speed on woos:

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:23 PM

New concept plan submittal to Denver:

2018PM0000326 - Evans East - 1120 Acoma Street

Concept - The Evans East Project will be a 17 story residential apartment tower with ground level retail.

Holland Partner Group has this property under contract.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post

Concept - The Evans East Project will be a 17 story residential apartment tower with ground level retail.

Some nice infill on a big ugly parking lot right across from library.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...4d-104.9884809

It's funny, if you would have asked me 10 years ago where would the most infill go first - Golden Triangle or RiNo, i would have said Golden Triangle. I would have been wrong!

Golden Triangle is slowly starting to fill in, but lots of parking lots left!

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7344.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:

This is music to my ears because I feel like this will turn up the pressure on the last really big areas of surface parking in GT. I'm specifically thinking of Cherokee St. between 12th and 13th, a Dikeou holding, and the two really big lots just on the West side of Acoma St. from this parcel. All of the other big voids are either being built on or have proposals in the pipeline.

"Ground level retail" is also a sweet chord to hear, as GT is such an interesting place and will always benefit from even more activation.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:26 PM

So I forget...what is going on withe the Cherry Creek Safeway? I thought they resigned a lease for like another 20 years ago several years ago. But also heard something about them staying open while res was built on top of them. Notice work is going on at the site yesterday. What is the word?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:30 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
So I forget...what is going on withe the Cherry Creek Safeway? I thought they resigned a lease for like another 20 years ago several years ago. But also heard something about them staying open while res was built on top of them. Notice work is going on at the site yesterday. What is the word?
It's the new location of the Macy's Furniture Store and the Container Store. Free's up the west side for future redevelopment.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:56 AM

Another project moving from concept to site development approval:

Project Description:
2018PM0000114 - Kenect Denver
undefined
Urban Design - 2136 Lawrence St; This proposed project, located at 2136 Lawrence Street in the Arapahoe Square district of Denver, is a 33-story building with 438 residential units and street level office/retail space.

Height is indicated at 372 feet.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:06 AM

Great news! Thanks for posting!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Another project moving from concept to site development approval:

Project Description:
2018PM0000114 - Kenect Denver
undefined
Urban Design - 2136 Lawrence St; This proposed project, located at 2136 Lawrence Street in the Arapahoe Square district of Denver, is a 33-story building with 438 residential units and street level office/retail space.

Height is indicated at 372 feet.
Concept rendering

https://www.denvergov.org/content/da...ign_022018.pdf
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Fingers crossed that the developer picks some good materials here. Obviously we aren't getting limestone in the mode of the Hotel Monaco building, which is what would really honor the International Style/Moderne intent, but maybe we can get a really expensive paneling system?

Probably an unpopular opinion, but even a concrete facade would look eons more sophisticated in 15 yrs than all this EIFS and paneling this development cycle is leaving us with. Have a walk around 1201 N Williams sometime.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:22 PM

Dang if we can get Kenect, that Rockies development, and maybe 1-2 more good sized projects off the ground this year, the boom will hold strong though 2019.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:58 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West