HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Damn! I remember someone telling me what was going in there, I just can't remember what it was.
is it thom bargen? they're opening a third location in the P&M underground

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:16 PM

Ahh, that could be it! I thought they were going into the mall proper, but maybe just right by it.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
is it thom bargen? they're opening a third location in the P&M underground
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Ahh, that could be it! I thought they were going into the mall proper, but maybe just right by it.
Just mentioned in Restaurant thread via their Facebook – it is Thom Bargen, haha. Good sign!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Just mentioned in Restaurant thread via their Facebook – it is Thom Bargen, haha. Good sign!
Lol that makes sense... I'm not sure where it was mentioned, but someone posted they were going into wpg square and I even asked an artis person and they responded "who is Thom Bargen?" haha!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:41 PM

The St. Anne's Supertore gas bar has rebranded as "Mobil @ Real Canadian Superstore" – looks exactly like Esso branding, but Mobil, and still offers PC Points.

Anyone know if/when the Essos will be rebranding here? Ones with service bays (ex: Taylor) already have Mobil-branded service.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
The St. Anne's Supertore gas bar has rebranded as "Mobil @ Real Canadian Superstore" – looks exactly like Esso branding, but Mobil, and still offers PC Points.

Anyone know if/when the Essos will be rebranding here? Ones with service bays (ex: Taylor) already have Mobil-branded service.
Some of the Esso's had Mobil for their lube bays as Imperial Oil didn't have a Esso house brand oil anymore but as far as I know they won't be going the full Mobile branding. Something to do with Imperial Oil selling the Esso rights in a regional format to 5 different companies in 2016. Effectively they are out of the station business and just wholesale their fuel to these 5 companies.

The Mobil gas naming rights in Canada are owned by Brookfield Business Partners out of Toronto, and they are doing the Loblaws/Super Store/EconoMart locations.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 3:37 PM

G By Guess And Guess Accessories is Coming To Outlet Collection Winnipeg

Last edited by horrorbro123; Jun 22, 2018 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 11:20 PM

The Esso on Pembina near Grant has a sign that says "PC Optimum coming soon" – interesting that it's going to be at standalone locations too, not just Superstores.

--

I wonder if the CRU in Glasshouse would be taken already if there were units in the parkade too so that humans actually had a reason to walk on that street?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:15 PM

Esso and Mobil are part of the same parent company. Additionally, Esso is effectively losing its long term loyalty partner as Aeroplane self destructs. The change to PC Optimum is not overly surprising.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:07 PM

Superstore gas bar on Regent now fully converted to Mobil as well.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Esso and Mobil are part of the same parent company. Additionally, Esso is effectively losing its long term loyalty partner as Aeroplane self destructs. The change to PC Optimum is not overly surprising.
Makes sense – it's interesting though to see Loblaws start integrating PC Optimum at non-Loblaws stores. As a company they've tended to do their own thing, and keep proprietary things in-house. It actually strikes me as a little odd since they got rid of PC Financial banking (non-credit cards) – before that was the most they reached beyond their store footprint, so this is interesting.

Smart for sure, but interesting. Do they have some sort of stake in the ownership group that took over these Esso stations on the prairies?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Smart for sure, but interesting. Do they have some sort of stake in the ownership group that took over these Esso stations on the prairies?
According to a Globe and Mail article in 2016the sale was split something like this:

Quebec-based Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. will purchase 279 retail stations from Imperial in Ontario and Quebec, 7-Eleven Canada Inc. will pick up sites in Alberta and British Columbia.

The other distributors involved in the deal include Parkland Fuel Corp., Harnois Groupe pétrolier and Wilson Fuel Co. Ltd.

Wilson Fuel is a big company in Atlantic Canada and Parkland Fuel is based in Calgary from what I can see on Google and runs the FasGas and Pioneer brands among others. Pioneer has been running a number of Esso Branded Stations in Winnipeg for the last few years. As far as I can find out Harnois Groupe pétrolier are just in Quebec.

The Mobil Stations that Loblaw's have in their lots are now owned by Brookfield business Partners.

With Safeway / Sobey's converting to Shell Branded locations Costco, Red River Co-Op and Canadian Tire are the only retailers in Manitoba that I can think of with their own brands on the pumps.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:37 AM

Surprised 7-11 wasn’t able to land the MB locations considering their proliferation here, and them already having some gas bars here.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:06 AM

A sign on the gas pumps shows that Costco gas is from Husky oil. Unless that has changed.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:25 PM

Lots of chatter this morning Gamestop (parent company of EB Games) is about to be sold to a new owner. It is a pretty open secret that they have been essentially break-even, with small losses, for several quarters now with projections for their core business to continue to decline. Include in the chatter is lots of speculation that Amazon is the buyer, possible as a quick real estate move to expand their Prime Now stores.

--

Also it is very telling that one of Canada's largest malls, Metrotown in BC announced the replacement for Target yesterday -- it is Walmart. The mall anchors will now be Superstore, Walmart and Hudson Bay. Not necessarily an indication of what might happen with four malls that saw Sears close here but an idea what the broader market is like.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor202 View Post
Superstore gas bar on Regent now fully converted to Mobil as well.
Bison Dr and Fermor as well.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
The Esso on Pembina near Grant has a sign that says "PC Optimum coming soon" – interesting that it's going to be at standalone locations too, not just Superstores.

--

I wonder if the CRU in Glasshouse would be taken already if there were units in the parkade too so that humans actually had a reason to walk on that street?
All Esso stations will be accepting PC Optimum. Aeroplan got the boot.

Last edited by Glenn99; Jun 24, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Also it is very telling that one of Canada's largest malls, Metrotown in BC announced the replacement for Target yesterday -- it is Walmart. The mall anchors will now be Superstore, Walmart and Hudson Bay. Not necessarily an indication of what might happen with four malls that saw Sears close here but an idea what the broader market is like.
I was surprised Walmart didn't take the Polo Park Target. I could see them maybe liking the idea of the Sears space at Polo... but Target would have been much better for them, so it'd surprise me if they went for Sears Polo. Who knows though.

Lululemon is renovating at Polo, currently running out of the old Aeropostale space. Still lots quite a few closures in Polo that haven't been scooped up.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 8:56 PM

Bootlegger Is Closed at polo park

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 12:13 PM

typically WalMart business model has not be attached to malls, in Canada they were as they took over Woolco quite often. Walmart Polo exterior currently being painted and updated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan