HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 7:38 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
It was more blasphemous to Los Angeles that the area was so rundown and unimpressive in the first place. A big time, major league city would never have wanted to look like this....

sanchezzootsuitmurders

bcf.usc.edu

At least it looks like it was walkable back then

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 9:12 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Is LA the only city with such a fee? When you look it up, it mentions Seattle proposing it but not if it went through or not. Most of the search only talks about LA.
Seattle has this. The whole market-rate rental world is adjusting to development costs several percentage points higher depending on the neighborhood. A lot less is breaking ground this year apparently...it's hard to pint that on one thing but cost is obviously part of it.

Construction will recover because the reduced starts will cause scarcity, which will raise rents enough to cover the new costs.

Scarcity will also give every existing rental the chance to raise their prices.

This policy really seems like landlords wrote it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
At least it looks like it was walkable back then
Good sarcasm....but not so much due to bunker hill in 2018 being less walkable than in the past....as much as bunker hill over 60 yrs ago being a fairly major example of...

Video Link

dtla is in better shape today than ever before in the city's history since bldgs like this one originally were limited to daytime, temporary users only...

Video Link

A lack of ppl living in dtla, beyond a small number on bunker hill...most who were struggling pensioners...or scattered throughout other parts of the hood, is a major reason dt wasn't a really well established part of the city. That made it easier for ppl to walk away from it...to abandon it for the burbs or other parts of LA...which then led to dt's major decline.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:08 PM

^ Interesting comparison Citywatch! In the 40's it seemed like DTLA was just beginning to really go downhill. Now there is more graffiti and the homelessness has dramatically increased but many landmark buildings still exist like the California Club and the Central Library (in the first video). So sad the Richfield Tower met its demise. But...it is dynamic now and DT reinventing itself quite nicely. To see the "now hiring" sign on Broadway for West Elm is proof that we will see many more changes in the coming years. Bunker Hill will continue to change with the Gehry projects this fall. Recently, I took a group of Orange County folks to Grand Park and dinner at Vespaio next to the Broad and they were very impressed how urban DTLA has become. As I get older (I am 61), I think how fortunate it is that younger people will finally have an interesting and exciting Downtown that I missed most of my life.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:56 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1272 View Post
This looks great! Do you think it would be possible for you to make one but using the view that we get from Griffith Observatory?
I would love to! I'll get around to doing it

~~~

Does anyone know what's going on with 611 Place? If I remember correctly it was going to be converted into residential use. Seems like it's still vacant judging from night shots of the skyline. While I'm all for architectural preservation, there is a part of me that wouldn't be sad to see this one go in favor of something better, or at the very least clad in glass. The only real redeeming quality I can think of is it's historical significance as one of LA's first skyscrapers.

Source: http://waterandpower.org/museum/Earl...+)_8_of_8.html

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:28 AM
El Guátqui

^ I love the way 611 Place's façade looks up close. It looks so very vertical. I'd be bummed if it were changed, except that the blank back wall of the elevator core is just begging for a huge LED display or at least a huge and awesome mural.

I took this picture of the building over a decade ago, and I loved the subtle details of its design as seen from the street:

https://jaydub89.deviantart.com/art/611-Place-60304727

That said, I'm no NIMBY, and would be very much in favor of it being made more useful.

Last edited by Jordan de California; Jun 20, 2018 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan de California View Post
^ I love the way 611 Place's façade looks up close. It looks so very vertical. I'd be bummed if it were changed, except that the blank back wall of the elevator core is just begging for a huge LED display or at least a huge and awesome mural.

I took this picture of the building over a decade ago, and I loved the subtle details of its design as seen from the street:

https://jaydub89.deviantart.com/art/611-Place-60304727

That said, I'm no NIMBY, and would be very much in favor of it being made more useful.
Too bad Orozco, Siquieros or Diego Rivera aren't still around to paint a giant mural on the giant white wall of 611 place. I actually suggested a giant LED or projected light show on the wall a few months ago, changing the display for the holidays and other occasions. The building cost only $30 million to build in 1968. I bet they eventually make it into a residential or hotel building. Great location and great views and 620 feet high.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 20, 2018 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:59 AM
Paramoderator

I also love 611 Place's facade. It's the epitome of mid century modern.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 4:59 PM

611 needs its entire exterior ripped off and replaced with new sheets of glass to make it look more modern. The floor plans may be horrible for office space now but I'm sure its good enough for residential units. The blank slab on the back needs a giant mural that may changes every few years and this building will be great as is. I once heard someone on here say the top was a restaurant/cafeteria? maybe reopen that, that could be cool, or turn it into amenities for the residence. indoor pool, gym. etc. the lower deck could also hold a pool and doggy area and etc. It really has a lot of potential and isn't too far from metro stops.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:17 PM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:25 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Just saw this. Amazing! Suddenly the Bunker Hill and adjacent areas are where development is moving. This would be a striking tallest.
Love also that its at an angle to the street grid...gives a little variety. And that they are keeping the existing hotel structure and repurposing. All around a good plan.
Can you imagine LA suddenly having 4, 1,000 plus foot towers in 5 years?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:31 PM

I just hope the base is redone to be better for pedestrians. The area is so hostile with this sort car-centric design.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:45 PM

So awesome. Can't wait to see renderings for the WTC tower.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 5:55 PM
Paramoderator

Kind of a bland design tbh.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:10 PM

Interesting that Figueroa became the corridor for this sort of thing (Wilshire Grand, LA Grand, Figueroa Center, Oceanwide). I wonder if in a decade or two that'll shift to another boulevard.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:32 PM

Yes, the fortresses along Figueroa need to be removed/redeveloped, but just as important, if not more so, is that Figueroa badly needs a road diet in that area. North of 6th Street, it's pretty much a freeway.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE: I will be out of the country starting June 21 for 10 days and may not be able to get to all the Downtown LA Development Map updates during that time. If you see an update or new project that gets missed, feel free to drop a PM, it would be extremely helpful.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Kind of a bland design tbh.
I think it's one of those towers that would look great as well as timeless in person...also with the lighting element, this will probably look better than WG. I didn't think the initial renderings of WG were that great.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:31 PM

The restaurant at the top of 611 Place was called the Top of the Crock (Crocker Bank Building as built).

I think it would be cool if the opened up the elevator bank and created scenic elevators.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:56 PM

Even I didn't think it would be that tall. I figured somewhere in the 900-1050 range. But a new tallest. PLEASE just build it. I'll meditate to manage my OCD lol. Now. Let the "who wants the title" race begins. Come on Angels Landing, give us something taller. 925 fig, throw your hat in the ring HAHA

In all seriousness. The design will obviously be redefined, but.....Its soooo basic to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if it were built as is. Its not horrible. But its not a show stopper either. With no spire or useless open atrium.... just pure roof height, I think to claim the wests title, its a win AND! there's no helipad and it has a slanted roof.

Hey mojeda ! the front page is missing a LOT of projects.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 9:46 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

This rendering isn't on the blog post:

urbanize.la / Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations