HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:56 AM

Every time I see the old City Hall, a part of me dies a bit. The Old Dominion Bank is also slowly eating away at me.

Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:01 PM
What could go wrong?

There are lots, but for me the McIntyre Block is really a sore spot. That block is the worst in the city for me.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:30 PM
the first stamp is free

^ yep. Basically all of the west side of Main street from Portage and Main to Higgins is mostly depressing based on what used to be there, and most of what was taken down wasn't necessary.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:28 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Somewhat depressing news from the police chief yesterday about meth use and the resulting spike in crime

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...port-1.4757778

The gains of the last half decade in terms of reduced crime have quickly been reversed.

I know that every city has its drug-using contingent, but it seems as though ours is exceptionally large and with seemingly zero inclination to resist becoming addicted to new types of drugs. Having a bunch more drug addled zombies wandering around and assaulting people won't do much for downtown and the inner city...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Somewhat depressing news from the police chief yesterday about meth use and the resulting spike in crime

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...port-1.4757778

The gains of the last half decade in terms of reduced crime have quickly been reversed.

I know that every city has its drug-using contingent, but it seems as though ours is exceptionally large and with seemingly zero inclination to resist becoming addicted to new types of drugs. Having a bunch more drug addled zombies wandering around and assaulting people won't do much for downtown and the inner city...
I would anecdotally disagree. Unfortunately, I think we're just catching up. There are areas of Toronto and Vancouver that have had scenes for years now that are still unimaginable here.

I stayed in a million dollar condo in Gastown this year that had 30 people outside of it SCREAMING the entire night. During the day, there were literally people rolling around on sidewalks yelling at the sky all over the area.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:59 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ I know Vancouver has its seamy underbelly, but it feels like you can get away from it to some degree. You go a bit west and it fades away and you're surrounded by people without those issues. By contrast, in Winnipeg it feels like it's all over downtown.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I know Vancouver has its seamy underbelly, but it feels like you can get away from it to some degree. You go a bit west and it fades away and you're surrounded by people without those issues. By contrast, in Winnipeg it feels like it's all over downtown.
Maybe it's just perspective or opinion, but while you can kinda avoid it more in vancouver, it is sooo much heavier there. The unfortunate part is that while you can avoid it, it is still super present in coll/great neighbourhoods, like gastown.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 2:34 AM

I see from this week's scenes from the next episode that the Amazing Race Canada will feature Winnipeg next week.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:32 AM

We didn't expect this in WINNIPEG!? What to DO in Winnipeg, Manitoba

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:39 AM

Monster Catfish| Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan