HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Agreed 100%. Irregular bounces resulted in hits that would've otherwise have been outs. It skewed some stats and baseball is all about the historical context of the game.

Baseball is meant to be played on GRASS!
More than that, it caused a lot of injuries. The vet in philly was notorious for that.
When asked if he preferred artificial turf or grass, Phillies reliever Tug McGraw replied “I’m not sure, I never smoked AstroTurf.”

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:03 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Although Toronto sees itself as a world class city and an NFL franchise would support that image, the NFL trial games with the Buffalo Bills were not overly successful and there is no appetite for spending upwards of $1B for an NFL stadium in Toronto.
The world sees Toronto as a world class city. Perhaps 30 years it wasn't but the city is practically unrecognizable today from the place that existed in 1990. Btw, the idea that getting an NFL franchise would boost Toronto's global standing is absurd. North American football isn't a global sport.

Insecure cities desperate for recognition are eager to ditch their own culture in favour of shinier foreign products. There are still some people in Toronto like that but they're getting scarcer by the year. Toronto already has professional football; the oldest professional football team in north America I might add. The Double Blue were founded in 1873.

The NFL has moved passed the CFL but there's nothing wrong with the CFL or Canadian Football. It's only mistake was to exist in a country of only 37 million television viewers. It's a league that crowned 54 national champions before the NFL had its first Super Bowl.

Courtesy of Canada Post

Last edited by isaidso; Jun 13, 2018 at 2:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The world sees Toronto as a world class city. Perhaps 30 years it wasn't but the city is practically unrecognizable today from the place that existed in 1990. Btw, the idea that getting an NFL franchise would boost Toronto's global standing is absurd. North American football isn't a global sport.

Insecure cities desperate for recognition are eager to ditch their own culture in favour of shinier foreign products. There are still some people in Toronto like that but they're getting scarcer by the year. Toronto already has professional football; the oldest professional football team in north America I might add. The Double Blue were founded in 1873.

The NFL has moved passed the CFL but there's nothing wrong with the CFL or Canadian Football. It's only mistake was to exist in a country of only 37 million television viewers. It's a league that crowned 54 national champions before the NFL had its first Super Bowl.

Courtesy of Canada Post

150% right.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Courtesy of Canada Post
As an Ottawa season ticket holder since 1979 (through all those awful years), I think the CFL offers a uniquely entertaining product that is decidedly different from the NFL. Unfortunately, there is no room for both the CFL and NFL in Canada.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 5:32 PM
BANNED

What's the status of a potential new arena for the Los Angeles Clippers? I've heard of a couple options proposed; haven't heard of anything confirmed.

Starting to get a feeling they may soon be Seattle-bound (even though Ballmer denies it).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 11:26 PM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
What's the status of a potential new arena for the Los Angeles Clippers? I've heard of a couple options proposed; haven't heard of anything confirmed.

Starting to get a feeling they may soon be Seattle-bound (even though Ballmer denies it).
I'm thinking the same thing. Clippers were always pretty irrelevant in LA just basically a joke. Now with Lebron going to Lakers and Paul George or Kawhi Leonard not going to Clipps they will be back in the dust bin of that other LA basketball team no one cares about. They missed their window and now its shut.

I think Clippers move to Seattle makes so much sense Balmer is so rich he doesn't need to really make any money off the team and I'm sure he doesn't plan on selling them for at least 15 years. Expansion to San Diego and possibly Las Vegas or Monterrey Mexico would bring the league to 32 teams.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:07 AM

Guys, for the millionth time, THE CLIPPERS ARE NOT MOVING OUT OF LA. The EIR process is underway for the new stadium in Inglewood and Balmer didnt pay 2 billion just to have that value halved by moving the team. The Clippers are one of the few franchises that makes a profit every year, had a 7 year sell out streak up to last year all the while being the 3rd tenant at Staples Center.

There are literally 4 or 5 other teams that would move before them.. Pelicans, Hornets, Grizzlies, Nets

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Guys, for the millionth time, THE CLIPPERS ARE NOT MOVING OUT OF LA. The EIR process is underway for the new stadium in Inglewood and Balmer didnt pay 2 billion just to have that value halved by moving the team. The Clippers are one of the few franchises that makes a profit every year, had a 7 year sell out streak up to last year all the while being the 3rd tenant at Staples Center.

There are literally 4 or 5 other teams that would move before them.. Pelicans, Hornets, Grizzlies, Nets
I was going to say, the Clippers are in the process of getting their own unique arena separate from the Lakers.

If there is some discovery of a new species of nearly extinct termite on the arena site and it fails, then maybe the Clippers will leave.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:39 AM
Babylon falling

Food for thought:

Ballmer is worth 22 billion and this team is a legacy play for his family. Seattle TV market is fairly large they basically get the entire state of Washington. The city of Seattle would lick his toe jam he will be a hero forever held in high regard everywhere he goes there. In LA he is..... just another rich guy in a city of uber wealthy egos. If the Rockets just sold for 2.2 billion who says the Clippers or Sonics in Seattle wouldn't be worth that? Plus he wouldn't have to build a new arena with his own cash saving 600 million bucks. Isn't Seattle already pimping out the arena?

If he was only worth 7 or 8 billion I would say no way he moves them, he is in another stratosphere of wealth where its not all about the money.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
I'm thinking the same thing. Clippers were always pretty irrelevant in LA just basically a joke. Now with Lebron going to Lakers and Paul George or Kawhi Leonard not going to Clipps they will be back in the dust bin of that other LA basketball team no one cares about. They missed their window and now its shut.

I think Clippers move to Seattle makes so much sense Balmer is so rich he doesn't need to really make any money off the team and I'm sure he doesn't plan on selling them for at least 15 years. Expansion to San Diego and possibly Las Vegas or Monterrey Mexico would bring the league to 32 teams.
Monterrey...Mexico? They have as much of a chance at getting an NBA team as Centerville, TX.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Food for thought:

Ballmer is worth 22 billion and this team is a legacy play for his family. Seattle TV market is fairly large they basically get the entire state of Washington. The city of Seattle would lick his toe jam he will be a hero forever held in high regard everywhere he goes there. In LA he is..... just another rich guy in a city of uber wealthy egos. If the Rockets just sold for 2.2 billion who says the Clippers or Sonics in Seattle wouldn't be worth that? Plus he wouldn't have to build a new arena with his own cash saving 600 million bucks. Isn't Seattle already pimping out the arena?

If he was only worth 7 or 8 billion I would say no way he moves them, he is in another stratosphere of wealth where its not all about the money.
You don't leave LA for Seattle, even as Team B. You only leave LA if you get a roughly equal deal somewhere else and get to be THE team. Seattle is too far of a drop. Unless the NBA goes overseas, there's no better place the Clippers can be other than maybe Newark or The Meadowlands.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 9:14 AM

Image sourced by skyscrapercity.com forum member JimB: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...&postcount=954

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post

Image sourced by skyscrapercity.com forum member JimB: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...&postcount=954
I'm assuming that's the London stadium, no?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:20 PM
E pluribus unum

Thought it was a domed resurrection of Tampa's someburro at first...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
I'm assuming that's the London stadium, no?
It’s Tottenham Hotspurs’ new White Hart Lane ground in north London: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=298

To the best of my knowledge, it is the first stadium in the world with two dedicated pitches; one for football, and a second pitch for American football which retracts on rails. The new White Hart Lane will be the third stadium in London to host NFL matches.

The ‘London Stadium’ (the former 2012 Olympic stadium) is 6 miles down the road in east London and currently home to West Ham United and the premier athletics venue of the UK. The Yankees and Red Sox are due to play a series of games there next year.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
The Yankees and Red Sox are due to play a series of games there next year.
wait, for real?

will the games count, or will they just be meaningless exhibition games?

i can't ever remember MLB teams playing real games in europe before.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
wait, for real?

will the games count, or will they just be meaningless exhibition games?

i can't ever remember MLB teams playing real games in europe before.
Yes, two games in 2019 and a further two in 2020 at the London (2012 Olympic) Stadium. Apparently the first time that both teams will have met during the regular season where the city was neither New York or Boston.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 5:28 AM

Looks like the Columbus Crew is headed to Austin.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 11:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
You don't leave LA for Seattle, even as Team B. You only leave LA if you get a roughly equal deal somewhere else and get to be THE team. Seattle is too far of a drop. Unless the NBA goes overseas, there's no better place the Clippers can be other than maybe Newark or The Meadowlands.
If they moved to NJ, they would be the third team in the NYC market. Could hardly call that being THE team in the area.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
If they moved to NJ, they would be the third team in the NYC market. Could hardly call that being THE team in the area.
You totally misread/misunderstood the post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions