HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 6:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Edmonton seems to generate a lot more revenue than Winnipeg, even accounting for the difference in population. Winnipeg's around $1.1B, Edmonton is $2.6B?
Percentage wise a lot more people in Edmonton contribute to society and pay taxes, in Winnipeg not so much!

The elephant in the room in Winnipeg which no one wants to talk about is the huge percentage on some form of social assistance who don't contribute!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Percentage wise a lot more people in Edmonton contribute to society and pay taxes, in Winnipeg not so much!

The elephant in the room in Winnipeg which no one wants to talk about is the huge percentage on some form of social assistance who don't contribute!
Source?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 6:12 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
Source?
Looked it up cause I was curious:

Composition of total income in 2015 of the population aged 15 years and over in private households (%)

Edmonton (employment income): 77.1%
Edmonton (government transfers): 6.9%

Winnipeg (employment income): 74.1%
Winnipeg (government transfers): 11.1%

The reason they don't match up is there's an "other" category as well, which includes things like investing I think.

I'd still be cautious with these stats though, because just because someone's on government assistance doesn't mean they don't contribute. They could have jobs as well, or they could be retired seniors who get pensions, etc. It's more complicated than just "11.1% of Winnipeggers are a drain on society!!!1"

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post

Composition of total income in 2015 of the population aged 15 years and over in private households (%)

The reason they don't match up is there's an "other" category as well, which includes things like investing I think.

I'd still be cautious with these stats though, because just because someone's on government assistance doesn't mean they don't contribute. They could have jobs as well, or they could be retired seniors who get pensions, etc. It's more complicated than just "11.1% of Winnipeggers are a drain on society!!!1"
Even if you added that extra 3% to even us out it would at best increase Winnipeg's revenue by about $30 million. With the increase in population and level employment income, Winnipeg would be at $1.5ish billion compared to Edmonton's $2.6 billion. If you factor in cost of living/cost of infrastructure it probably closes the gap further. They are also a "Have" province and likely have a provincial government that can afford to transfer more money to the City.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:59 PM
arf

Still digesting the Greyhound announcement.

With Greyhound pretty much shutting down everything outside of the Route going between Winnipeg - Regina - Calgary - Vancouver what does this mean for the Western provinces. Saskatchewan shuttered and sold all the assets for STC which means that we have in our province:

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Still digesting the Greyhound announcement.

With Greyhound pretty much shutting down everything outside of the Route going between Winnipeg - Regina - Calgary - Vancouver what does this mean for the Western provinces. Saskatchewan shuttered and sold all the assets for STC which means that we have in our province:
Buses and trains are likely largely done in the Prairies. The other day when a Via train derailed near the MB SK border there were 16 passengers and 5 crew! I think that was the Pas route though, but still how much money is that losing?

In my mind the future will be in ride sharing apps. Someone will perfect a hitchhiker app that connects drivers and passengers, rates them etc. Sure there are legal issues, but necessity will prevail.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Buses and trains are likely largely done in the Prairies. The other day when a Via train derailed near the MB SK border there were 16 passengers and 5 crew! I think that was the Pas route though, but still how much money is that losing?
That's the train that used to run to Churchill, now only goes as far as Gillam. The passenger loads between The Pas and Winnipeg have been light on that run since the highways were developed in the 60s. Not many people take the train from The Pas to Winnipeg because the line takes a circuitous route through Sask and it's faster to just drive or take the bus.

However, the train has to come back to Winnipeg because that's where the VIA maintenance centre is and that's where the crews are based.

With Greyhound out, I wonder if VIA might see a slight uptick in coach car ridership between Winnipeg-Saskatoon-Edmonton?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:16 PM

Quote:
With Greyhound pretty much shutting down everything outside of the Route going between Winnipeg - Regina - Calgary - Vancouver
Aren't they shutting down that route too? The news is saying that the only thing west of Ontario will be the Vancouver-Seattle route.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:25 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Aren't they shutting down that route too? The news is saying that the only thing west of Ontario will be the Vancouver-Seattle route.
Yeah, that's what I read, but then searching an article I could find mention of the Winnipeg -> Saskatoon route closing, but no mention of Winnipeg -> Regina. I'd be surprised if it weren't closed in short order if not now.

Both STC and Greyhound were great options for shipping items to people.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:47 PM

my hope is that whatever new form of bus operations take place to replace greyhound in Manitoba, the new depot isn't at the airport in Winnipeg which was mainly done to facilitate their parcel delivery service if my memory is correct. bring it back to downtown! (*cough cough* union station*).

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post

What planet are you living on? I would venture to guess that Winnipeg has the highest percentage of people who pay no income tax which is the real telling stat.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I read, but then searching an article I could find mention of the Winnipeg -> Saskatoon route closing, but no mention of Winnipeg -> Regina. I'd be surprised if it weren't closed in short order if not now.

Both STC and Greyhound were great options for shipping items to people.
Everything that I have read and heard was that all Greyhound operations west of Sudbury, except a Vancouver- Seattle line, will end in October.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gre...mbia-1.4739459

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
What planet are you living on? I would venture to guess that Winnipeg has the highest percentage of people who pay no income tax which is the real telling stat.
If it didn't make me sad for the state of our society I would be quite entertained by how willing you are to throw out legitimate data and just replace it with some random "alternative fact" you pulled out of your ass...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 1:18 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Original rrskylar quote:
Quote:

So I looked up the statistics behind this question (here they are again, just for fun):

(sources were http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...B1=All&TABID=1 and http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...wbdisable=true)

Which proved that yes, more people earn money off social assistance in Winnipeg than Edmonton. Because as you can see, Winnipeg's 11.1% of people who get income from government transfers is HIGHER than Edmonton's 6.9%. So what are you even mad about? That I didn't look up the non-tax paying segment as well? My numbers came straight from stats canada, and backed up what you were thinking.

You're nuts man.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:31 AM

I'm curious to see if APTN changes their name to IPTN (I for Indigenous) in the next little while. I don't think it's really Aboriginal-only anymore (if it ever was), and this year they changed "Aboriginal Day Live!" to "Indigenous Day Live!"

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 1:21 AM
I am a typical

Indigenous has been the preferred term for a couple years now, they'll be onto the next term before APTN changes their name.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:02 AM
Rational urbanist

I still use native people. It was what I was taught in school and trying to change those habits is hard, not to mention that "indigenous" is cumbersome. Also most of my native acquaintances refer to themselves as native. Seems weird to passive aggressively "correct" them by using a different term.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:10 AM
I am a typical

Indigenous is cumbersome? Compared to what words? "Acquaintances?" "Cumbersome?" "Aggressively?"

But I agree, it's hard to call people what they want to call themselves. That's why we call Germans "Germans".

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 10:58 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Indigenous is cumbersome? Compared to what words? "Acquaintances?" "Cumbersome?" "Aggressively?"

But I agree, it's hard to call people what they want to call themselves. That's why we call Germans "Germans".
Haha fair enough. You're right, I'm just not used to using it so it doesn't roll of the tongue, nothing to do with the word itself.

Are you saying indigenous people want to call themselves indigenous? If so, maybe I just haven't paid enough attention, and admittedly my sample size is small. And if so, why do you predict another term to become preferred soon?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 12:03 AM
There is always a way

Thing is that native and indigenous mean the same thing. Only difference is one is half the length.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan