HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:14 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Yeah I was referring to the frosted glass, 600 N Fairbanks. I know parking is necessary but that is just ugly in my opinion
Won't argue with you there. Parking podiums suck. In this instance, there was not too much that they could have done however, given the narrow plot of land the developer had to work with. Otherwise, I am all for wrapping a parking garage with retail at the base and residential above it. Or sticking it entirely underground, which somehow isn't doable in Chicago because its either too costly, or the water table is too high, or whatever other excuse developers want to give to get around designing proper parking.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Yeah I was referring to the frosted glass, 600 N Fairbanks. I know parking is necessary but that is just ugly in my opinion
I really like 600 n fairbanks... I like the cantilever over the neighboring building and I think the parking podium is well taken care of design wise...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:19 PM
The City

The developer of One Chicago Square is making some serious money on their condo project a few blocks north:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...oreUserAgent=1

Bodes well for OCS's chances to break ground

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The developer of One Chicago Square is making some serious money on their condo project a few blocks north:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...oreUserAgent=1

Bodes well for OCS's chances to break ground
Holy cow! i didn't know baseball players made that kind of money. 184 million over 8 years. that's almost beyonce cash.

Anyway, good news. I don't love these towers, but i think any giant glass tower will help river north a lot.

Anyone know if the trade war is starting to spook banks and dry up financing?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
I really like 600 n fairbanks... I like the cantilever over the neighboring building and I think the parking podium is well taken care of design wise...
Yep, one of the best bulidings of the last boom.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:44 PM
Plenary pleasures.

This morning 7/13 - the 'other' new McCormick Place hotel (name escapes me)..

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:20 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Holy cow! i didn't know baseball players made that kind of money. 184 million over 8 years. that's almost beyonce cash.

Anyway, good news. I don't love these towers, but i think any giant glass tower will help river north a lot.

Anyone know if the trade war is starting to spook banks and dry up financing?
Yep, $184 million over 8 years but don't forget endorsement deals. It's quite a lucrative thing being a well known professional athlete

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 9:05 PM

Concrete at Gr333n. I apologize it is not very clear but the floor plates look pretty massive relative to the size of the core.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Yes. Baseball is a big money sport. The Cubs have over $180M in guarantee contracts to pay out in 2018 alone for their team.

There are 128 players in the 2018 season making a minimum of $10 million each. Out of those 128 players, 43 players are making a minimum of $20 million each this year. The highest paid player in the MLB this year is making over $35.5M (that specific contract is 7 years for $215M). There are 8 players combined on both Chicago teams making $10M minimum (6 are on the Cubs, 2 on the White Sox) - 3 of those players are making a minimum of $20M a piece. By comparison, there is not a single players on the Chicago Bulls or Chicago Bears combined who make a minimum of $20M this year, yet the Cubs and White Sox together have 4.

Baseball is a lot more big money than people realize.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 1:37 AM
THAT Guy

West Loop: congrats, civilization has arrived now that Lucien Lagrange is designing buildings in your hood.

Two different designs for a tower across from Mary Bartelme Park. Both have more parking (84) than units (63), but only one has the signature top.

The maestro also is cooking up this West Loop midrise which I can't place. It's actually not terrible.

And finally, not to worry Streeterville fans, he hasn't forgotten about you. If you wanted more Ritz Carlton Residences, here's a hotel proposal on Ontario just off of the Mag Mile.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 2:08 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Full. Body. Dry. Heave.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 12:20 PM
The City

Welcome back, Lucien, in all of your Parisian glory!

To be honest, other than the more “classic” version of the proposal across Mary Bartelme park (I hope they don’t go with that one, it will look way out of place in the West Loop), none of these look bad. Even the hotel has the portential to be halfway decent if they at least clad the base in stone and use something decent for the crown

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 12:34 PM

More Rube than Bertrand - NMH

July 6

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:

To be honest, other than the more “classic” version of the proposal across Mary Bartelme park (I hope they don’t go with that one, it will look way out of place in the West Loop), none of these look bad. Even the hotel has the portential to be halfway decent if they at least clad the base in stone and use something decent for the crown
Unlike most here, I don't hate ALL of Lagrange's work...I actually wouldn't mind seeing something like 65 E Goethe built in the west loop on this lot.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 2:37 PM

The planned 16 (used to be 13..I think) story high rise on Clark next to the Bush Temple of Music building got its new construction permit yesterday. 129 total units with only 13 parking spaces. Retail on ground floor

Last edited by marothisu; Jul 14, 2018 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:33 PM

172 N Ada

July 5

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:40 PM

^^^ This Ada street project is going to dead end the view corridor up Ogden from the SW. Just noticed it's becoming quite prominent already yesterday.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 4:36 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Full. Body. Dry. Heave.
Indeed.

For balance sake, I'm not really hating the other designs shown in the post though. Not gonna give them undue praise either.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 4:54 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

Have you learned nothing about Lagrange?

The hotel rendering looks like only the entry portico is stone, and even then it's a dark granite which will look odd next to the precast. As far as the crowns go, I gave up after Ritz-Carlton's crown turned out to be dogshit.

Agreed that the boxy midrise is not offensive. Heck, if built it would be better than the Hayden or most other West Loop condo buildings. At the very least, it's not trying to ape Parisian architecture so it can't utterly fail at aping Parisian architecture. I like how the base is livened up with duplex "townhouse" units that have their own front doors. (that design feature will probably require a variance)

The Mary Bartleme Park highrise is an epic fail no matter which design is chosen. The second one is only slightly less cringeworthy than the first, but what's with those rounded windows? Wendy's called from the 1990s, they want their solariums back...

http://i68.tinypic.com/21270o1.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jul 16, 2018 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

The Mary Bartleme Park highrise is an epic fail no matter which design is chosen. The second one is only slightly less cringeworthy than the first, but what's with those rounded windows? Wendy's called from the 1990s, they want their solariums back...

http://i68.tinypic.com/21270o1.jpg
It's funny because that's about what the mansard roof on the other design will look like IRL. Is Lucien LaGrange plagiarizing original 90's fast food designs??? Curious minds want to know!

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jul 16, 2018 at 10:15 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations