HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:00 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

What we can confirm is that 2900 Wilshire is now a 23-story proposal instead of the 31-story tower linked to above. Hopefully we do confirm soil testing and it starts construction soon, because I personally like this design.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Such an important project for Hollywood and that rundown stretch of Sunset. We need to connect Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd and all the perpendicular streets with projects like this along with solid infill. Lots of progress has been made but some much more to be done. If every block looked like the area between vine and Cahuenga between Hollywood and Sunset, It would be an awesome neighborhood
Ideally the redevelopment of Hollywood Blvd eventually extends eastward beyond Argyle / Gower and right up to the 101. And if the 101 freeway capping project ever moves forward with a connected parkspace system, I could see this area becoming one of the most desirable stretches in LA.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Ideally the redevelopment of Hollywood Blvd eventually extends eastward beyond Argyle / Gower and right up to the 101. And if the 101 freeway capping project ever moves forward with a connected parkspace system, I could see this area becoming one of the most desirable stretches in LA.
No doubt about it.. The stretch between the 101 and western along Hollywood has improved dramatically in the last couple years as has sunset to the 101 from cahuenga... Many positives in hollywood

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 5:32 PM

Academy at Vine has officially broken ground due south of the Arclight in Hollywood. It's been stated here before but this is really a sentinel development for Hollywood, effectively pulling the urban downtown area further south with quality, pedestrian oriented development. There is such a massive amount of development proposed and under construction in the adjacent area - really exciting time for Hollywood.

https://la.curbed.com/2018/6/22/1749...ilroy-arclight

It looks like the Amoeba development is also moving forward (and happy to hear that Amoeba will be retaining a presence in the neighborhood at a new location).

A little fun observation: I was randomly watching The Day After Tomorrow, filmed around 2000, which in it's opening scenes had great shots of Hollywood around Capitol Records building. Every parking lot in that aerial view is now developed (Eastown I & II, Argyle House, W Hotel). Amazing to see the positive transformation of Hollywood into a truly liveable neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 10:52 PM

Some news out of Long Beach. The new City hall and Port Authority building are wrapping up construction. Nothing fancy or nice in my opinion. Just 2 very generic boxes
http://www.pecplongbeach.com/progress_v1/

No news on the plans for that new hotel/residential tower but these days its referred to as "Maybe, Might be built" which is always fun. The developer already has a couple of 7 story boxes proposed for some of the site, i wouldnt be surprised if it turned the tower into another 7 story instead.

Speaking of Long Beach and "New Tallest" as of last week, the second part of the "Current" project is still being used as a parking lot, last i heard, the community was still trying to fight it. "To tall for the area". It boggles my mind when people move/live downtown and are always surprised when a new tower is proposed. Don't like it ? DONT LIVE DOWNTOWN.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:09 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

1550 Lincoln is now under construction three blocks east of the Expo Line's DTSM station, replacing the Dennys at the northwest corner of Lincoln/Colorado. I've been looking forward to this one for quite a few years now.

https://urbanize.la/post/constructio...s-santa-monica

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:13 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ I'd also recommend taking a look at the developer's website. They have a lot more great looking projects planned for Santa Monica.

https://www.wscommunities.com/future-projects/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:28 PM

Some Century City news...

1940 Century Park East (below) has been demolished, and the Auto Club building next door is currently fenced off as well.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Some Century City news...

1940 Century Park East (below) has been demolished, and the Auto Club building next door is currently fenced off as well.
It is for the Purple Line construction staging yard.
http://www.metro.net/projects/notice...eline2_040518/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo Blue View Post
It is for the Purple Line construction staging yard.
http://www.metro.net/projects/notice...eline2_040518/
Sounds like it'll be temporary then. Does anyone know what the long term plan is for the site ? (after construction on the Purple Line is complete)

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:05 PM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Sounds like it'll be temporary then. Does anyone know what the long term plan is for the site ? (after construction on the Purple Line is complete)
There is no plan yet but since Metro now owns the parcel, it will eventually be developed.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
I like everything about this project! This is urbane.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:24 AM

How is this being proposed this year and starting construction next year? I've never seen anything move that fast through all the red tape at city hall. Or was this proposed years ago? because I'm confused at how its breaking ground so soon. Every time a project gets proposed downtown or anywhere else, it takes ages to get off the ground.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:29 AM

It's Koreatown, probably the least NIMBY area in the whole city. Lots of projects get fast-tracked there.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:53 PM

Of course Weinstein plans to appeal the ruling but this is a big step for a great project regardless-

Judge hands Hollywood developer a win, backing a plan for two residential towers

http://labusinessjournal.com/news/20...ences-project/

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...712-story.html

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 5:21 PM

^^^ Yes!!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
^^^ Yes!!
A positive development for sure... but still needs to get through appeals. It's no wonder we have a housing shortage in LA...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:12 PM

Does anyone understand the rationale of an appeal? I cannot think of a sole reason. This is bound on 4 sides by:

1) a highrise (Proper) to its East
2) El Centro apartments to its North
3) the W to its West
4) the Palladium due South

All sarcasm aside, what is the opposition?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Does anyone understand the rationale of an appeal? I cannot think of a sole reason. This is bound on 4 sides by:

1) a highrise (Proper) to its East
2) El Centro apartments to its North
3) the W to its West
4) the Palladium due South

All sarcasm aside, what is the opposition?
From the LA Times article:

Michael Weinstein, who heads the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, said his group will file an appeal of the ruling. “We feel that the [project’s environmental impact report] is wrong,” he said in an interview. “It doesn’t take into account the impacts on the area.” In the Palladium lawsuit, lawyers for AIDS Healthcare Foundation made an array of claims. They argued that four members of the planning commission improperly met with the developer’s representatives in “ex parte” meetings — conversations that were not part of the panel’s scheduled public sessions.

Those private meetings showed that the commission, whose members are appointed by Mayor Eric Garcetti, had a “disqualifying bias” in favor of the project and that its decision was “fundamentally unfair,” the AIDS group said.

Hogue disagreed, saying the opponents failed to identify evidence of actual bias involving the commission.

The judge also disagreed with the claim by the AIDS nonprofit that it had been denied a fair hearing before the council’s Planning and Land Use Management Committee. And she rejected the group’s argument that the city had failed to properly analyze greenhouse gas emissions expected from the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations