HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 8:31 AM

LRT station development east of downtown?

I'm just curious to know what kind of LRT development we can expect for stations east of downtown. With Bayview and Pimisi stations getting these big highrises approved. What could happen for Hurman or St-laurent?

Blair station has a few highrises already planned and one underconstruction.

I can't imagine what could be done for st-laurent.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 12:25 PM

Hurdman is owned by the NCC and is apparently very contaminated. I think they have a long term plan to develop it.

Not sure what Morguard's latest plans are for St Laurent. They cancelled a planned expansion of the mall a few years ago. There is certainly lots of room.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Hurdman is owned by the NCC and is apparently very contaminated. I think they have a long term plan to develop it.

Not sure what Morguard's latest plans are for St Laurent. They cancelled a planned expansion of the mall a few years ago. There is certainly lots of room.
The Hurdman area is very much contaminated. Used to be an industrial area for some very high polluting industries. Plus there was also the dump right around there.

http://history.ottawaeast.ca/HTML%20...s%20Avenue.htm

As for St. Laurent, I would suspect they are currently sorting out what to do with the old Sears location first. That store was enormous. Was there yesterday, and there is things going on, but no signs posted. Very hard to say what they are up to at this point.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:17 PM

You could ask the same question about development around the Lees Station. As it is now, Lees could be one of the least busy stations, The uOttawa Campus Master plan shows a bunch of new tall buildings around it. These buildings are unlikely to be all for university use. It is probable that they will look for 3P opportunities where the towers could house condo/rental housing/office space.

I can not seem to reproduce a rendering here, but one can see it on this page.

https://www.uottawa.ca/facilities/master-plan/precincts

Further to Lees Station. Some time ago the City stated an openness to selling the naming rights to a few LRT stations. I have not heard that they have done so yet.
The university has been trying to sell the naming rights to Gee-Gees Field on Lees, but have not been successful yet. For a couple of years I have heard the rumour that a 3 way deal may be in the works. A company would buy naming rights to the stadium and to the adjacent LRT station. Thus, you would have "Company" Field and "Company Field" Station in close proximity. The university would probably use the funds it gets to upgrade the stadium.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 3:48 PM

The City made quick and dirty CDPs for the east end stations (Lees to Blair). Didn't we have a dedicated thread for this? Can't find it.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 5:05 PM

Of the eastern stations, I feel Cyrville has the greatest potential for TOD in the short term. Especially on the nort (west) side which has easier access to the station. There are several sprawling single story retail/office buildings with large parking lots that the owners could tear down and replace with higher density buildings.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The City made quick and dirty CDPs for the east end stations (Lees to Blair)
https://ottawa.ca/en/transit-oriente...ment-tod-plans

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Of the eastern stations, I feel Cyrville has the greatest potential for TOD in the short term. Especially on the nort (west) side which has easier access to the station. There are several sprawling single story retail/office buildings with large parking lots that the owners could tear down and replace with higher density buildings.
The owner of the parcel on the west side (the Canex/CCAC lot) has/had a plan for redeveloping the property - http://wsmstaging.com/qcc/, however that website hasn't been updated in five years.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:10 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Of the eastern stations, I feel Cyrville has the greatest potential for TOD in the short term.
Depending on what you consider to be short term I would say that Lees has a bit more potential, although Cyrville is probably close behind (along with, hopefully, Tremblay). Some open land combined with UOttawa property means that Lees has some great potential in the next ten years.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Depending on what you consider to be short term I would say that Lees has a bit more potential, although Cyrville is probably close behind (along with, hopefully, Tremblay). Some open land combined with UOttawa property means that Lees has some great potential in the next ten years.
Nitpicking I know, but does Lees Ave. count as east end (I tend to use the Rideau river as the dividing line)? Even still, other than university developments (which I don’t consider TOD), I’m not convinced there is all that much land within an easy walk of the station. The highway interchange gets in the way and I believe that empty field is being saved for the hospital connector extension.

As for Tremblay, it is kind of wedged in between the train station and the 417. There is the pedestrian overpass, but with RCGT Park, its parking lot and a few new hotels, I’m not sure what’s left to develop unless they demolish the Canadian Tire store east of the park. South of the track there are some good opportunities, but that would require a pedestrian bridge or tunnel across the tracks and I’m not sure if that will happen anytime soon.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:33 PM
Busy Beaver

Telesat court across the Queensway from Blair would be a good place for some really tall buildings. They should think about linking it with an overpass to City Park Dr for internal circulation. It would also be better for cyclists than the pedestrian bridge.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Nitpicking I know, but does Lees Ave. count as east end (I tend to use the Rideau river as the dividing line)? Even still, other than university developments (which I don’t consider TOD), I’m not convinced there is all that much land within an easy walk of the station. The highway interchange gets in the way and I believe that empty field is being saved for the hospital connector extension.

As for Tremblay, it is kind of wedged in between the train station and the 417. There is the pedestrian overpass, but with RCGT Park, its parking lot and a few new hotels, I’m not sure what’s left to develop unless they demolish the Canadian Tire store east of the park. South of the track there are some good opportunities, but that would require a pedestrian bridge or tunnel across the tracks and I’m not sure if that will happen anytime soon.
Yeah Tremblay is a hard one. Even with the bridge going north and a future bridge going south it's still a bit of a hike to redevelopment lands (as opposed to Cyrville or Lees where lots can be built right there).

In an ideal universe, we'd have moved the VIA station back downtown with the LRT opening, and could have replaced Tremblay LRT station with an LRT station at Belfast instead. Would have been much closer to redevelopable lands.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:

A tunnel needs to happen sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, it probably won't.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa