HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 3:50 AM

Jo-Anne Polak - She made history as the first female GM in North American sports. Today, Polak is honoured to have steered her team through a tumultuous time in CFL history.

Last edited by elly63; Aug 12, 2018 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:23 PM

On the topic of football.

Last night's Edmonton @ BC game was very entertaining. Great to see BC pull through in the end. The standings are going to be very tight this year in the West.

I also like the enhanced video replay where the command booth has the ability to pick up incorrect flags, and "quickly" make decisions.

The Live Mic's are also very entertaining. I am sure the teams don't like it, but oh well, it is entertaining.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:40 PM

Glad to hear the Lions won, I'll have to go back and watch it on TSN Games on Demand.

I like the live mics but for some reason a lot of people don't. As an old TV guy, audio is the forgotten old shoe, it is not used to it's fullest effect enough. I don't have a clue what code (plays) they are talking about but it does add to the atmosphere and the sense of being there.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:00 PM
Starring as himself

I think they could do it during selected parts of the game, and also show replays of anything interesting that wasn’t shown (with sound) live. Unfortunately they bleeped out what would have been the best part: Lulay’s shouting match with Buono, which Rod Smith didn’t even seem to notice even though they had the camera on it for quite some time.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:37 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggopher View Post
On the topic of football.

Last night's Edmonton @ BC game was very entertaining. Great to see BC pull through in the end. The standings are going to be very tight this year in the West.

I also like the enhanced video replay where the command booth has the ability to pick up incorrect flags, and "quickly" make decisions.

The Live Mic's are also very entertaining. I am sure the teams don't like it, but oh well, it is entertaining.
The west is definitely a 5 team race now. I by no means expect the Lions to legitimately challenge Calgary or Edmonton still, but my optimism has grown to the point of a potential crossover berth over Saskatchewan, which I would not have said before the Winnipeg win. If I had to guess this early, I'd say the West as it stands now is how it'll end the season.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:38 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The East is always worse and has fewer teams. Considering the East has double the population of the West you'd expect the opposite.
How would population impact teams' success? They still play under the same salary cap and rules and all that.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 2:28 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
That's nice and all but I don't believe a word of it. Funny, watching TSN the people in the crowd didn't seem ancient. There weren't a helluva a lot of them but I wasn't seeing ancient. But I guess that doesn't go with your narrative.
Was at BMO for the game last week. Crowd was certainly skewed a bit older than other sports in the area but there were a number of younger families there. Crowd was sparse but those that were at the game were pretty into it. I get a similar vibe at REDBLACKS games but that crowd is certainly more varied in age.

One piece of anecdotal evidence I can provide is that at the same time as the Argos game there was a Kenny Chesney concert going on at the nearby Budweiser Stage. It seemed like the Chesney concert had more people and definitely had a younger crowd...vast majority seemed to be university age which was a demographic mostly absent from the Argos game.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 4:22 AM

There is always plenty of talk about abolishing the east/west divisions as the west is usually stronger than the east, but instead of eliminating the two divisions, why not integrate them differently... I’m suggesting a “coast” division, and an “interior” (or central) division. The Coast being BC Edm, Cgy and Mtl, and Halifax when the time comes. Interior being Ssk, Wpg Tor Ham Ott... as time zones really aren’t an issue, and all rivalries still in tact, to me it would make sense to re-org the league, while still keeping divisions... just a thought!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:32 PM

I rather just have 8 teams out of 10 make the playoffs when Halifax is added and ditch the crossover and have seed 1 vs 4 2 vs 3 in both divisions. The crossover hurts the eastern teams drawing fans as their playoff hopes are snuffed out by the western teams.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:57 PM

The weather gods haven't been too kind to the Bombers so far this season with a giant lightning storm on the home opener and the rest of the games being played in sweltering heat. Hopefully in the fall with 2 Riders games in Wpg, the Stamps and Manziel and the Als coming into town they can draw better crowds when it cools down to a more comfortable temp.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:13 AM
arf

Chris Jones giving up on this season?

Releases Duron Carter. There's obviously something up, but he's your best threat at receiver.

Congratulations on being the crossover team BC. It is almost worse than the Al Ford years.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 1:48 PM

Carter might be what the Alouettes need. They put in a pretty good performance against Ottawa. I think all the descriptions about being a train wreck are over stated (I may even have said so myself). Had a good look at them and what they lack is experience and consistency, they're talent level is ok. They have some good players. Despite some dropped balls and turnovers the game was pretty entertaining and the Als attitude didn't reflect their record. Looks like everyone (fans included) is giving Johnny Canadian Football a chance and after this game I think he is going to come through. As they were saying on TSN, it's about hope, and it looks like the Als may have it, at long last, after the post Calvillo years. Still early days though.

The Als need a guy who can make the big catches but are the other issues Carter brings worth it. The Als are going to talk to him so it wouldn't be surprising to see him in the rouge, blanc, et bleu once more. As for the Riders and Chris Jones, they haven't given up on the season, we're not even at the halfway point yet. Lots of time left and I think even Montreal could turn it around and they have a much worse record. Let's never forget the 2011 Grey Cup winners BC Lions who started the season 0-5.

Thought Manziel performed pretty well, he has a future in this league and I'm getting the impression that he may be following the Flutie model, instead of the one and a half year and go plan. He may finally be thinking, I'm going to establish myself here, make a decent living and then let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited by elly63; Aug 12, 2018 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
The Als need a guy who can make the big catches but are the other issues Carter brings worth it.
Nye: Carter’s release comes as no surprise
CFL.ca Staff August 12 2018

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Carter might be what the Alouettes need. They put in a pretty good performance against Ottawa. I think all the descriptions about being a train wreck are over stated (I may even have said so myself). Had a good look at them and what they lack is experience and consistency, they're talent level is ok. They have some good players. Despite some dropped balls and turnovers the game was pretty entertaining and the Als attitude didn't reflect their record. Looks like everyone (fans included) is giving Johnny Canadian Football a chance and after this game I think he is going to come through. As they were saying on TSN, it's about hope, and it looks like the Als may have it, at long last, after the post Calvillo years. Still early days though.

The Als need a guy who can make the big catches but are the other issues Carter brings worth it. The Als are going to talk to him so it wouldn't be surprising to see him in the rouge, blanc, et bleu once more. As for the Riders and Chris Jones, they haven't given up on the season, we're not even at the halfway point yet. Lots of time left and I think even Montreal could turn it around and they have a much worse record. Let's never forget the 2011 Grey Cup winners BC Lions who started the season 0-5.

Thought Manziel performed pretty well, he has a future in this league and I'm getting the impression that he may be following the Flutie model, instead of the one and a half year and go plan. He may finally be thinking, I'm going to establish myself here, make a decent living and then let the chips fall where they may.
I totally disagree with your assessment of the Alouettes they mustered their most complete game of the season and still lost the effort they put into that Ottawa game I am not sure they could sustain that for the rest of the year.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I totally disagree with your assessment of the Alouettes they mustered their most complete game of the season and still lost the effort they put into that Ottawa game I am not sure they could sustain that for the rest of the year.
You expect Manziel to peak at his second CFL start? That's what improving teams do, they play at a higher level and lose close games until they become more consistent and do what it takes to win close games.

Regardless, depending on who one quotes as to what the actual capacity of TD Place in Ottawa is, the game was a sellout. Attendance: 25,161 with at least 500 or 1000 more spectators than capacity. The Manziel Effect or divisional rival Montreal?

Last edited by elly63; Aug 13, 2018 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 1:35 AM

This is getting monotonous (in a very good way).

Andrew Harris is leading the league in rushing by over 100 yards.

Brad Sinopoli is again leading the league in receptions (by 9 over second spot and 17 receptions over third place) and hopefully he won't get hurt this year. Sinopoli is third and not far off the league lead in yards with 724 and with 10 games remaining, barring injury, he should shatter the 1000 yard mark for a personal best.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:16 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
How would population impact teams' success? They still play under the same salary cap and rules and all that.
It wouldn't. I was referring to the east supporting fewer teams than the west.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 2:38 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It wouldn't. I was referring to the east supporting fewer teams than the west.
Totally skipped over the "and fewer teams" part. My bad.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
You expect Manziel to peak at his second CFL start? That's what improving teams do, they play at a higher level and lose close games until they become more consistent and do what it takes to win close games.

Regardless, depending on who one quotes as to what the actual capacity of TD Place in Ottawa is, the game was a sellout. Attendance: 25,161 with at least 500 more spectators than capacity. The Manziel Effect or divisional rival Montreal?
As someone at the game, it was the Manziel effect that drove the game over capacity. There has not been rivalry with the Als since the 70s.

If it weren't for 5 turnovers including that lame brain play at the end of the first half, the RedBlacks would have won the game easily. But turnovers are part of the game.

It was the most entertaining home game in Ottawa this season. Perhaps it may end up being good that the next home game is again against the Als.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
As someone at the game, it was the Manziel effect that drove the game over capacity. There has not been rivalry with the Als since the 70s.

If it weren't for 5 turnovers including that lame brain play at the end of the first half, the RedBlacks would have won the game easily. But turnovers are part of the game.

It was the most entertaining home game in Ottawa this season. Perhaps it may end up being good that the next home game is again against the Als.
Despite the sloppiness, it was entertaining. Probably the first full game I've watched in a while. Youtube has me spoiled, I can barely watch more than 10 minutes of anything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada