HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 6:49 PM

So Heber picks up Park City as part of their micropolitan area. Interesting.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post

Edit: scratch that Jenny Wilson will definitely lose to Mitt. She was on the city council and will have had experience running a larger campaign. She could be one to look out for
Jenny is on the county council, has never served on the city council. She came in third in the primary when Becker won his first election as Mayor and would certainly be a strong candidate if she decides to run. She certainly won't be in the US Senate so she will be available to run. It would be interesting to see if she would really run because there is a lot of overlap between her supporters and Mayor Biskupski's supporters. For instance her step mother serves in the Biskupski administration and her father, former mayor Ted Wilson, wrote a letter in support of Jackie in regards to the Inland Port debacle. I can't even imagine Dabakis as mayor, a liberal version of crazy town.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I am going to put this here as it ends up having a bit more impact here overall than it does to the MSA overall. With the Inland Port and the State pushing the CSA numbers for recruitment, it may also help with any City recruitment efforts as well.

This was released yesterday:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...etin-18-04.pdf

New MSA and CSA configurations were announced.

Salt Lake City-Provo-Orem, UT Combined Statistical Area
Heber, UT Micropolitan Statistical Area - Summit County and Wasatch County
Ogden-Clearfield, UT Metropolitan Statistical Area - Weber, Davis, Box Elder, and Morgan Counties
Provo-Orem, UT Metropolitan Statistical Area - Utah and Juab Counties
Salt Lake City, UT Metropolitan Statistical Area - Salt Lake and Tooele Counties

We have officially added Wasatch, Morgan, Box Elder, and Juab Counties to the Salt Lake City CSA as of 9/14/18.
I prefer this method for organizing a list of metros as it includes both CSA's and MSA's that aren't part of a larger CSA. This ranks SLC 26th in size (23rd CSA) because it also includes places like Phoenix.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
To my untrained eyes, Jackie is far less progressive than either Ralph Becker or Rocky Anderson was (though I certainly prefer the quiet progressivism of Becker to the attention-seeking progressivism of Rocky). She's passive on transit, doesn't seem to push much for an urbanization-oriented agenda, and is in the pockets of billboard money (an overlooked but real impediment to development). Also, being difficult to work with is not a point in her favor. The one and only thing I will give her credit for (at least that I'm aware enough of to remember) is pushing for more affordable housing.
Is she the one who was the first to support affordable housing, though?? It seems like the city council took funding away from other RDA projects to specifically support affordable housing, which she fought at first and then came around on the issue.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I love the location and the mixed-use concept, but I hope the design looks better when it's built because those renderings are very bland imo. If the old Salt Lake Roasting Co. building must come down (I really wish that one could've been kept, but can't keep them all I guess), then it better be for something good.
I think this is one of the nicest apartment complex designs we’ve ever seen in the city.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Update on The Exchange. And from what I've heard about Patrinely is that they are struggling to find a construction crew they trust for this type of project.

Quote:
I love the location and the mixed-use concept, but I hope the design looks better when it's built because those renderings are very bland imo. If the old Salt Lake Roasting Co. building must come down (I really wish that one could've been kept, but can't keep them all I guess), then it better be for something good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I think this is one of the nicest apartment complex designs we’ve ever seen in the city.

Agree Bob that the renderings are a bit bland, perhaps tricky. However, I tend to agree with Stenar regarding the design, particularly when getting into the weeds with Isaac's excellent write up on Building Salt Lake. One thing that isn't as apparent enough in the renderings as I think will be in reality is the curvature/angles of the frontage. I like how the straight line is broken away on the upper floors from the street frontage. I think this will really enhance the visual appearance, along with a few other aspects such as the street retail, recessing of windows in the lighter colored areas and the corner engagement. I do like the color scheme, but am a little concerned with the lack of facade material quality, at least as it appears in the rendering. The lines pattern etched into the facade could mitigate the blandness of the concrete appearance. It's a popular treatment on newer complexes here in L.A., and can work well.

Conceptual rendering of the northeast corner of The Exchange as designed by KTGY Architecture + Planning. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents. https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/

Last edited by delts145; Sep 16, 2018 at 1:44 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 1:52 AM

14 floors. Hopefully it all works out

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/09/...-city-has-new/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 3:02 AM

I like the Exchange design. The Developer has shown that they can build projects and they have plans for more projects in the future.

My big worry currently is the lack of tower crane operators and steel workers possibly slowing down or causing delays on projects and that causing a slowdown to the overall momentum to the local economy.

The following projects should all be under construction and would require tower crane operators and steel workers during 2019:

SLC International airport expansion - Multiple tower cranes + Hundreds of workers still expected.
Tower 8
Liberty Sky
The Exchange
Block 67 Phase 1 - Residential
Block 67 Phase 1 - Hotel

This is not counting anything up at the University and they usually have a couple of projects on the go.

Next, there are the likely to be under construction in 2019 based on current status that would require a tower crane and steel workers:

650 S Main
CCH
Salt Development Commercial Tower
370 Millennium Tower
Violin School Commons (possible tower crane needed as part of public safety building rehab)

Then there are the outliers but could still be possible:
255 South State
Carl's Jr unnamed project
Gateway Hotel project

In the known guaranteed projects at this point, that is 5 to 7 tower cranes and 5 construction teams working downtown. On top of the workers at the Airport, University, and the Prison relocation, this would pull all the workers from the suburb office projects and trained tower crane operator that was idle plus I think it would require some training for backup operators.

In order for costs to avoid going up exponentially, some of the contractors need to look at bringing in additional workers from out of state fairly quickly. With the current housing issues, I think the best solution may be some sort of worker housing provided by the contractors at least as an option if they aren't able to find their own housing.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 5:09 AM

Quote:
From a design standpoint I would tend to agree. I was talking purely about the aesthetic appearance in that instance, which is secondary to the good design of the project. I also acknowledge that it may be the kind of design that looks better irl than in computer renderings.

I just don't really like the way the concrete blends with the rest of the building. I think it just gives me a tiny bit of a 90s office building vibe (not in materials, just in the pattern). But I don't think it will end up looking like that in the end. I don't want to make it seem like I'm in any way discouraging about this project. I'm looking forward to it! Basically any mixed-use development is good development and this looks like one of the best ones we've had in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
14 floors. Hopefully it all works out

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/09/...-city-has-new/
This is an awesome proposal. Of course I made the mistake of wading into the SLTrib comments section...

Does anybody know when demolition of the steel structure will begin? I can't wait to see that blight removed from the city. It certainly made it sound like it would begin very quickly.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Is she the one who was the first to support affordable housing, though?? It seems like the city council took funding away from other RDA projects to specifically support affordable housing, which she fought at first and then came around on the issue.
I don't have a good answer for that. I'm sure she wasn't the first, but at least she's pushing for it. Whether it was because of political pressure or not, it's still a good thing.

Quote:
Salt Development Commercial Tower
Which development is this one?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Which development is this one?
10 Story tower, directly north of the North Temple Trax station on the overpass and directly west of the Hardware Building. The project may include a direct walking connection to the Trax station.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 3:44 PM

https://www.ksl.com/article/46391255...tah-operations

Software firm to expand Utah operations

Quote:
Cornerstone OnDemand, a cloud-based learning and human capital management software company, will expand its operations to Salt Lake City, according to the Governor’s Office of Economic Development.

Under the terms of an agreement announced Thursday, the California-based firm will add up to 350 new jobs, generate $6 million in new state revenue and make an estimated $4.4 million in capital investment over a seven-year period.

Employing nearly 2,000 employees in 43 countries around the world, Cornerstone recorded revenue of $482 million in 2017 — up 15 percent year over year, a news release stated. The new Utah Operations Center will be the company’s third office in North America and its 18th office worldwide, a GOED news release said.
I am posting this here, the odds are split that this could be in SLC or at the the southern end of the valley/Lehi. The main reason I am putting it here though is that SLC does have more available space currently and I think the City may be more willing to work with them to actually locate within the City by possibly offering additional incentives.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
I prefer this method for organizing a list of metros as it includes both CSA's and MSA's that aren't part of a larger CSA. This ranks SLC 26th in size (23rd CSA) because it also includes places like Phoenix.
I wonder how long it will take SLC to be in the Top 20 CSAs. I think overtaking the Sacramento and Pittsburgh CSAs by 2020 is quite plausible at current growth rates (assuming their current rates also hold), and St. Louis could be in the crosshairs if they stay stagnant. I see Charlotte growing as fast as SLC, so I don't think we'll pass them.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 6:00 PM
Expatriate

Quote:
I am going to put this here as it ends up having a bit more impact here overall than it does to the MSA overall. With the Inland Port and the State pushing the CSA numbers for recruitment, it may also help with any City recruitment efforts as well.

This was released yesterday:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...etin-18-04.pdf

New MSA and CSA configurations were announced.

Salt Lake City-Provo-Orem, UT Combined Statistical Area
Heber, UT Micropolitan Statistical Area - Summit County and Wasatch County
Ogden-Clearfield, UT Metropolitan Statistical Area - Weber, Davis, Box Elder, and Morgan Counties
Provo-Orem, UT Metropolitan Statistical Area - Utah and Juab Counties
Salt Lake City, UT Metropolitan Statistical Area - Salt Lake and Tooele Counties

We have officially added Wasatch, Morgan, Box Elder, and Juab Counties to the Salt Lake City CSA as of 9/14/18.
For ranking purposes, I'd like to see the SLC, Ogden, and Provo MSAs combined into a single MSA with multiple Metropolitan Divisions. Here's the definition (taken from the document that Makid linked above):

Quote:
The 2000 standards also introduced the construct "Metropolitan Division," which is used to
refer to a county or group of counties within a Metropolitan Statistical Area that has a
population core of at least 2.5 million. While a Metropolitan Division is a subdivision of a
larger Metropolitan Statistical Area, it often functions as a distinct social, economic, and
cultural area within the larger region.
The CSA has a 2017 estimated population of 2,559,350, and would likely still exceed the 2.5 million threshold if the Heber-Park City Micropolitan Area were excluded from the enlarged SLC-Provo-Ogden MSA. I'm quite certain that most forumers would agree that the ties between our three Wasatch-Front MSAs feel tighter than those of a CSA, but using the Metropolitan Division construct would allow the Census Bureau to continue to acknowledge that some "distinct social, economic, and cultural" differences are present.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 10:47 PM

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/lette...lt-lake-citys/

I bet some on this forum would give a big amen to this article.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 12:28 AM

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/lette...lt-lake-citys/

I bet some on this forum would give a big amen to this article.
Agreed, but Portland is definitely an exception compared to most cities.

Quote:
Letter: Salt Lake City’s growth is boring and bland

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:06 AM

Quote:
I like the density on this one.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I like the density on this one.

Wow, that is some great density for that location. Projects like this, The Exchange, Paperbox, Salt, etc. are moving Downtown Salt Lake along nicely, giving Downtown the kind of urban residential vibe it deserves. Hopefully, the city will be able to make some progress in resolving the construction labor shortage for some of the other major projects like Patrinely.

The southeast face of the Moda Luxe mixed-use development as designed by Humphreys and Partners Architects. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 18, 2018 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:59 AM

I like that proposal a lot! This is an area that will really benefit from increased density.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West