Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 11:02 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I've heard people say this and I think it def would benefit from a proportionality perspective, in addition to the obvious height increase. Hindsight is 2020 tho.
Hmmm... What do you think?:

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:56 AM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Hmmm... What do you think?:

Split the difference and then yes for sure.

For the record: I love the current/real building. But another 7-8 floors would make a big difference.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 2:26 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^
The fact that CTC has less bulk than CC at the top does not make up for the height from CTC. I think that's where a lot of people find disdain for CTC.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:07 AM

Not a pure design point, but functionally it makes sense that the floor plates for the hotel portion of CTC are quite different than for the office levels. Whereas CC is offices all the way up. Helps explain why there are not layered set backs like, say, Logan 3.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post

For the record: I love the current/real building. But another 7-8 floors would make a big difference.
I think it looks a lot better from that perspective. It looks balanced.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 9:58 AM

Arch Street, 19th Street, hotel lobby are still construction zones. The hotel is not open or completed - not until early 2019 according to the Four Seasons website -- so CTC is definitely still u/c!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 2:36 PM

I wish the building was tall; even if they made the cooling tower thicker along the east west axis it would have looked taller; but all around it looks nice.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
I wish the building was tall
Lol ok

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:21 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
I wish the building was tall; even if they made the cooling tower thicker along the east west axis it would have looked taller; but all around it looks nice.
I know, 1,121 foot buildings are just so tiny.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:39 PM

My department at the Comcast Center is moving into CTC this Monday. After working in the suburbs and commuting from my CC home for 20 years, I love the fact that my commute is now 4 blocks (well, next week it will be 5 blocks as the CTC is on 1800 block, instead of 1701.)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post

I agree with this. If the spire retained its existing height, how tall would it be with another 7-8 floors?

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:57 AM

^^^^
Add 96 feet .

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 1:47 PM

I had to correct that; that was the tallest typo ever

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:49 PM

Comcast unveils city’s new tallest building with coffee bar, full-floor gym and open work spaces.

Quote:
Comcast Corp. opened the doors to its new high-rise in Center City on Thursday and it smelled just like a new car.

Calling it a "sneak peak," chief executive Brian Roberts gave the first tour of the $1.5 billion Comcast Technology Center, taking the whisking Swiss-designed elevators to several floors of the city's tallest building, pointing out the commissioned art with Philadelphia ties adorning the walls, standing desks for employees, local chef Greg Vernick's coffee bar in the public lobby (not open to the public yet), and a 200-foot herb green wall along glass windows in the two-story company cafeteria with seating for 900.

"A lot of the heart and soul [of Comcast] is in this building, in this town," said Roberts, who was trailed by about a dozen local reporters and Comcast executives for about an hour. "No one has tried to build a technology center in the heart of an East Coast city," he added.

At the time, Comcast agreed to add 1,500 jobs in the city, bringing its Philadelphia payroll to about 6,300 employees. Comcast executives cautioned that this was a conservative estimate. Indeed, the company now employs 8,000 to 9,000 in the city. In addition to the Comcast Center and the Comcast Technology Center, the company leases floors in four other downtown buildings — One Logan Square, Two Logan Square, 1500 Market Street and 1719 Market Street.

"Before you ask, I am not planning on building another building," Roberts said.
http://www2.philly.com/philly/busine...-20180920.html

Not sure if this should be taken seriously or not. Obviously he wouldn't announce before they're ready, but makes me wonder. There's often an implied "at this time" at the end of comments like this which opens up the possibility of another in the future.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Not sure if this should be taken seriously or not. Obviously he wouldn't announce before they're ready, but makes me wonder. There's often an implied "at this time" at the end of comments like this which opens up the possibility of another in the future.
or else he is going to delegate building responsibilities to someone else for the next one.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
or else he is going to delegate building responsibilities to someone else for the next one.
Since we are scrutinizing his wording: It seems like he is being quoted differently by different reporters on the same tour of the building. This is from phillymag; looks like she was on the same 'media tour' as whoever wrote the philly.com piece.

And this is how she quoted Roberts:
“Before you go asking, there is no other building.”

https://www.phillymag.com/business/2...xIcLimfHiff.99

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 7:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbrown View Post
Since we are scrutinizing his wording: It seems like he is being quoted differently by different reporters on the same tour of the building. This is from phillymag; looks like she was on the same 'media tour' as whoever wrote the philly.com piece.

And this is how she quoted Roberts:
“Before you go asking, there is no other building.”

https://www.phillymag.com/business/2...xIcLimfHiff.99
There is no other building...
...yet!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
There is no other building...
...yet!
After coughing up 1.5 billion for the CTC, I would take Roberts comment literally instead of interpretations. However, a more important point is that Roberts said, "no one has tried to build a technology center in the heart of an east coast city." This is the first east coast city with a technology center in it's downtown area. That is more notable. Which I feel may be a contributing factor on why you may very well see Amazon setting up shop in the City of Brotherly Love. Look for Besos, cutting ribbons and doing tours in Philly next. Comcast as the largest ISP and Amazon as it's biggest ISP customer. Maybe I'm wishful thinking but !

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 11:49 PM

Comcast III

Unless their plans for a future building are fully ready to go, both in a construction sense and also in a business sense, why would Roberts or anyone publicly even hint at the possibility of another building on their campus? What would be the up side of taking that risk? If the plans were to fall through for any reason that would be a very public black mark for Comcast to live with.

Comcast II sounds like a very special building, designed and built for some non-traditional uses. Uses that couldn't be readily found in other CC buildings. If Comcast's long and short term future needs are for conventical office space then continuing to rent large blocks of sq. footage in other CC towers makes much more sense economically then building new space from the ground up.

Having said all that, I would like to see them build another tall, skyline changing building. But my guess is that if and when III is built, it will be on the SW corner of the block where I is built. They already control that site, it would be easily integrated into the underground complex and I'd bet that the City would allow them to build taller then present zoning might allow. If Comcast promises to increase their city based employment by 1K the City would be nuts not to allow them an additional 10 floors (just to make up a example)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:01 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^

They didn't have to cough up 1.5 billion for the building. LPT is on the hook for a large chunk of that. And if Comcast paid for anything, it would most likely be the interior fit out of the bldg. Comcast pays rent to LPT. LPT is an REIT.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Sep 21, 2018 at 12:23 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture