HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
If YSJ’s ‘BIG’ News with the emphasis on ‘BIG’ in their Twitter feed is a Dunkin Donuts Kiosk…..I would have to say…..Get a Life!!

I'm certainly hoping the announcement is for something better than that!
Well, since the dog appears to be a Boston Terrier, and the donut could be a Boston Cream, logic would suggest a Boston related announcement, and I doubt that it is Dunkin Donuts.

I presume YSJ has landed a direct flight to Boston on an American regional carrier. They must be banking on a lot of Irving related corporate business. It could be even that Irving has given the carrier a guarantee of usage (fixed number od seats) to get the connection.

We'll see.......

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:29 AM

A nice surprise at YQM on August 23rd 2018, a Boeing 747-4F from Kalitta flight 926 from Cinncinati to Moncton then onward to Anchorage Alaska...for Asia maybe?!?. as of 0030 hours on the 24th its still here and loading, delayed by a few hours, showing departure at 0040 but the cargo doors are still open and the lift are still with the aircraft.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well, since the dog appears to be a Boston Terrier, and the donut could be a Boston Cream, logic would suggest a Boston related announcement, and I doubt that it is Dunkin Donuts.

I presume YSJ has landed a direct flight to Boston on an American regional carrier. They must be banking on a lot of Irving related corporate business. It could be even that Irving has given the carrier a guarantee of usage (fixed number od seats) to get the connection.

We'll see.......
OK YSJ......That was posted on Twitter on Aug 20th and nothing since!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 5:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Meanwhile, this is the big news out of YQM:

In other words - <crickets><crickets><crickets>

Things have been very quiet at YQM for the last year...........

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 5:53 AM

Quote:

Meanwhile, this is the big news out of YQM:

In other words - <crickets><crickets><crickets>

Things have been very quiet at YQM for the last year...........
I agree with you over the past few years the Greater Moncton Airport has gotten rather dormant when it comes to new flight options for Moncton and the province of New Brunswick and i find that rather alarming. I wish they would be creative in getting new routes and airlines. I find that the airport is becoming a Q400 airport almost like the way that the Regina International airport. But i hope the future will be promissing to get new flights in and out of Moncton.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
A nice surprise at YQM on August 23rd 2018, a Boeing 747-4F from Kalitta flight 926 from Cinncinati to Moncton then onward to Anchorage Alaska...for Asia maybe?!?. as of 0030 hours on the 24th its still here and loading, delayed by a few hours, showing departure at 0040 but the cargo doors are still open and the lift are still with the aircraft.
I guess this Kalitta 747 air cargo service will be an ongoing thing.........

Quote:
Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport welcomes Kalitta Air cargo flights through partnership with Dieppe’s Xtreme Cold Storage
SEPTEMBER 18, 2018

GREATER MONCTON, N.B. – The Greater Moncton Roméo LeBlanc International Airport (YQM) is pleased to be welcoming Kalitta Air as a new cargo carrier to the airport.

Thanks to its partnership with Xtreme Cold Storage in Dieppe, Kalitta began making stopovers at YQM in August with shipments of lobster and other seafood destined for China. Kalitta flights are expected to continue their arrivals and departures at YQM.
http://cyqm.ca/news/greater-moncton-...-cold-storage/

It will be nice to see ongoing 747 cargo service into YQM. I don't know how frequent the service will be however.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
It will be nice to see ongoing 747 cargo service into YQM. I don't know how frequent the service will be however.
Use flightradar24.com's airport data.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/yqm/routes

Click on routes tab:

It also has interesting data showing top routes by flights/week:

Although #5 through #9 are all cargo flights (except YDF is a ferry flight)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:47 PM

Why is there a weekly cargo flight to Anchorage? That seems... random.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 2:07 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Probably UPS. They have a big hub there.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 2:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
Why is there a weekly cargo flight to Anchorage? That seems... random.
It's the Kalitta Air 747 service. The ultimate destination is Ningbo, China, not too far from Shanghai.

This flight is a lobster express. Lobster has become quite popular on the Chinese mainland.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
It's the Kalitta Air 747 service. The ultimate destination is Ningbo, China, not too far from Shanghai.

This flight is a lobster express. Lobster has become quite popular on the Chinese mainland.
I saw one of these landing last week. I did a double take since the plane was so large. You don't normally see a 747 in Moncton.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 6:45 PM

Still waiting on that Saint John Boston announcement. That is if that is what the Boston terrier, and Boston cream was reference to.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:

You are correct. I heard this big bird take off from Moncton last week and said to myself, that has to be one big ass plane. I immediately opened the flight tracker app and sure enough, it said Kalitta Air 747 going to Anchorage, to refuel I assume or to pick up some king crab!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
Still waiting on that Saint John Boston announcement. That is if that is what the Boston terrier, and Boston cream was reference to.
We all are... sense whoever runs their social media got trigger happy and posted before they knew when an actual announcement was coming.

In other news, YSJ set another all-time monthly passenger record in August.

Quote:
The Saint John Airport is proud to announce a new all-time record for Total Monthly Passengers. “In August, 31,793 people flew via the Saint John Airport,” said YSJ President and CEO Derrick Stanford. “That's a 17% increase versus August of last year and another record-breaking month for our airport. With this momentum, YSJ is well on our way to achieving our goal of 300,000 passengers in 2018.”

August marks the eighth consecutive month that the airport has exceeded their passenger traffic results versus the same month in the prior year.
http://saintjohnairport.com/the-late...senger-record/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
You are correct. I heard this big bird take off from Moncton last week and said to myself, that has to be one big ass plane. I immediately opened the flight tracker app and sure enough, it said Kalitta Air 747 going to Anchorage, to refuel I assume or to pick up some king crab!
Most freighters stop at ANC for fuel heading to/from Asia. Its a trade-off between cargo/fuel. I've seen 747's before at YQM (The Corsair days with the flight to Paris) but I would have really liked to see a 777 freighter. I know an AA 777 stopped here for a medical emergency a few years ago. It's very impressive to hear a GE powered 777 spool up those engines for a takeoff.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:45 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
In other news, YSJ set another all-time monthly passenger record in August.
I wonder how much of an impact Porter is playing in this. I flew into YSJ for the first time in a decade recently because of the new direct route between Ottawa and SJ. Flight was pretty full.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I wonder how much of an impact Porter is playing in this. I flew into YSJ for the first time in a decade recently because of the new direct route between Ottawa and SJ. Flight was pretty full.
Porter for sure has helped. Rates have been better which is also encouraging usage. I’m hoping for more flight options/connections to USA. Right now to where we travel we can drive 13 hours + stops/traffic for about $250 CDN return for up to 5 people or fly from Bangor direct to destination for $400 CDN pp. Usual NB flights hover around +/- $800 CDN with 2 layover connections. I’d love to fly out of Saint John YSJ but financially it doesn’t make sense for our typical destinations currently. Different destinations/travel plans always warrant a fresh look at local flight options out of Saint John or NB.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 4:02 PM

Fredericton International Airport (YFC) recorded it's largest one month passenger volume in history in August ~45000 PAX. Year-to-date volume is up 9.3%. Should easily crack the 400K mark this year.

https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...ional-airport/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Fredericton International Airport (YFC) recorded it's largest one month passenger volume in history in August ~45000 PAX. Year-to-date volume is up 9.3%. Should easily crack the 400K mark this year.

https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...ional-airport/
Was at 398,000 last year. At this rate we could surpass half a million in 2 - 3 years time.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 6:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
Was at 398,000 last year. At this rate we could surpass half a million in 2 - 3 years time.
Moncton seems to be stagnating at just below 700k. You guys are catching up!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces