HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:09 PM

Maybe they can do a land swap. ARTIS gets to buy the current Earls land in exchange for reduced rent at 300 Main? Although I think it'd be preferable if that land was sliced up into smaller parcels.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:11 PM

Cams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:12 PM

300 Main (@300_main) on Instagram

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:02 PM

yesterday the last of the forms were removed from the 2nd floor cores. Such a long process to remove them. I assume now that the self-lifting forming system will be installed shortly and things will greatly speed up.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:20 PM

One thing you can see in that picture are the cars in the SB curb lane. Since they removed the right turn on Fort, they also allow cars to travel in the diamond lane through the intersection. Which is BS because it's an endless delay for buses in the AM rush as cars are queuing up at St. Mary Ave right turn.

To note, in a diamond lane your are not permitted to travel through an intersection. you must turn or stay out the lane. A lot of people ignore that and just blast on through down the diamond lane. See it all the time, especially in afternoon rush. I want to smash those people.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
One thing you can see in that picture are the cars in the SB curb lane. Since they removed the right turn on Fort, they also allow cars to travel in the diamond lane through the intersection. Which is BS because it's an endless delay for buses in the AM rush as cars are queuing up at St. Mary Ave right turn.

To note, in a diamond lane your are not permitted to travel through an intersection. you must turn or stay out the lane. A lot of people ignore that and just blast on through down the diamond lane. See it all the time, especially in afternoon rush. I want to smash those people.
We can't open portage & main because those unruly scofflaw pedestrians will be running all over the place and breaking the rules, unlike motorists who adhere to the rules perfectly and conduct themselves in an orderly way at all times .....

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
yesterday the last of the forms were removed from the 2nd floor cores. Such a long process to remove them. I assume now that the self-lifting forming system will be installed shortly and things will greatly speed up.

With the temperature cooling, does anyone know how difficult it will be to warm the forms to ensure they cure properly? Will they need to build each floor as they poor the cores to ensure they can wrap them?

I feel like the steel framing and installation of the floor will be the bottleneck in seeing this thing rise.

Also, I only notice one concrete column going up to the right of the cores. Where are the rest of the columns?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
With the temperature cooling, does anyone know how difficult it will be to warm the forms to ensure they cure properly? Will they need to build each floor as they poor the cores to ensure they can wrap them?

I feel like the steel framing and installation of the floor will be the bottleneck in seeing this thing rise.

Also, I only notice one concrete column going up to the right of the cores. Where are the rest of the columns?
It's not a problem surrounding the forming with insulated tarps and pumping heat in. That's what they did with the 2nd level in the last month.

There is one other concrete column rising up (you can see the scaffholding directly behind the cores). Not sure why only two columns are going up...I thought there should be 4, one on each corner.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:10 PM

^I noticed the columns too. There should be another whole set of columns out beyond those two. So there should be another like 10-15 columns.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
^I noticed the columns too. There should be another whole set of columns out beyond those two. So there should be another like 10-15 columns.
But the footprint of the tower itself doesn't extend much further than those two columns?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:27 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I believe there are only two concrete columns. The rest will be steel.

These concrete columns change to steel above the third floor.

Once this building starts to rise, it should go fairly quick. Lots of steel and precast concrete.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
But the footprint of the tower itself doesn't extend much further than those two columns?
I think it extends another span out from those concrete columns. So there would be another ring of steel columns (thanks Drew) beyond that. Could be wrong though.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:35 PM

Looking at this image. There should be another set of columns beyond the concrete ones. On the Main St side, the building will go out to the edge of concrete wall. That will require 2 sets of columns beyond the core. But the building is shaped like a plus sign +, so maybe some areas will go out further. Either way, don't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:41 PM

Every time I look at this thread I sing the old Sly and the Family Stone song to myself..."Wanna take you high..er!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:44 PM

It's steel boys, we don't need more conrete!

Quote:

Lol, I kinda don't care about those one intersection offenders... The reduction of 4 lanes to 3 is a much greater delay to traffic and it becomes quite tedious. It's a minor delay for buses, big one for cars.

Transit took away everyone's right turn on fort, forcing a delay on that until St.Mary's would increase traffic. For me, that's the easiest blind eye to turn for one (changing) intersection.

That one should also never have been a mandatory right turn or diamond... everyone exiting out of the parkade onto Main always struggles to exit it before graham, either slowing traffic, or stacking a parkade line-up 100M long. That and Winnipeggers will be so self-righteous about not speeding but wouldn't dare let someone in ahead of them...

If someone does it more than an intersection, then I'm with ya though.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:46 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I think it extends another span out from those concrete columns. So there would be another ring of steel columns (thanks Drew) beyond that. Could be wrong though.
There are lots of columns to come. But I think they are probably just making hay so to speak with the cast-in-place concrete aspects.

The steel columns more or less bolt on, and aren't as weather dependent.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
It's steel boys, we don't need more conrete!

Lol, I kinda don't care about those one intersection offenders... The reduction of 4 lanes to 3 is a much greater delay to traffic and it becomes quite tedious. It's a minor delay for buses, big one for cars.

Transit took away everyone's right turn on fort, forcing a delay on that until St.Mary's would increase traffic. For me, that's the easiest blind eye to turn for one (changing) intersection.

That one should also never have been a mandatory right turn or diamond... everyone exiting out of the parkade onto Main always struggles to exit it before graham, either slowing traffic, or stacking a parkade line-up 100M long. That and Winnipeggers will be so self-righteous about not speeding but wouldn't dare let someone in ahead of them...

If someone does it more than an intersection, then I'm with ya though.
Normally people, including myself when I drive, wait until they get through the intersection before getting in curb lane. Now everybody's in that lane and holding up my bus!

A bad spot is on Henderson at Hespeler heading into downtown. Police sit in the back lane and bust people. I'm all for it. It's those self righteous, entitled people. I want to smash them sometimes haha

Also, today was especially bad for me in the self righteous thing. Nobody would let me exit Tim's lot! So I pulled right up to the car, headlights in their face. lol

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post

Our forming system should start arriving Nov 5th!

Last edited by BackLane; Nov 3, 2018 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 12:38 PM

saw on reddit that artis is planning to sell 300 main as it is their only residential densification project in their portfolio. probably makes sense once it is finished.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
It's not a problem surrounding the forming with insulated tarps and pumping heat in. That's what they did with the 2nd level in the last month.

There is one other concrete column rising up (you can see the scaffholding directly behind the cores). Not sure why only two columns are going up...I thought there should be 4, one on each corner.
Our forming system will use insulated panels on the outside (no need for tarps). The plan is for the elevators/stairs to go up first, then 2 floors below that will be the slabs between the shafts, 3 floors below that will be structural steel, hollow core, and sheerwalls.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan