HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 6:25 PM
Ascension

I happen to like the latest version of the project as well now that I have looked at it. It's pretty reserved for Gehry which means that it's much more streamlined design and in my opinion a bit more fitting with Bunker Hill. This will be to Bunker Hill like LA Live was to South Park.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/mcKd...y_Partners.jpg

I'm loving the square theme. It complements the Disney Hall and The Emerson well.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I like the design. Has a bit of the wedding cake stacking like old NYC buildings, but with a modern twist. At the very least be thankful it's a different design, opposed to usual glass boxes with weird hats. It also compliments the WDH incredibly well, almost as if it phase II to the WDH. This is an incredible addition to LA.
Exactly. Could it have been taller? absolutely. Could it have a better design for the base? probably... but all in all, its a solid project and a great addition to grand ave

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
I think the unwritten rule with any sort of project is that anytime a project says that it's going to start on a certain day, add 6 months to 20 years to it and multiple design changes. Look at Apex for example. Most of you remember that ride when it was called Concerto and we were promised Blade Runner like LED screens. Then it halted construction for so many months (remember the giant hole?), changed owners, and names, and well over 10 years later, there you go. Stuff like that is such an LA thing.
I lived in Chicago for years, it was a common occurrence over there too

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjbolton View Post
Do we have a thread somewhere with skyline views that someone (a saint!) updates regularly? Or 3D model/Google Earth type of thing?
A few East Side shots of DTLA, all taken last weekend

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I'm pretty sure it was never scheduled to start this year.. Just getting an eir and entitlements would take 3 years
Well, that’s even more ridiculous that 3 years is the minimum. Is that an LA thing or a common thing?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 3:28 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Great shots, WonderlandPark! Based on my rough calculations, the taller tower of the Grand Ave. Project should go about 2/3 of the way up Cal Plaza 1 (the shorter of the two) in that first shot, possibly a tad higher. It won't blow up the skyline, but will definitely be visible, and will expand it north when viewing from the east or west.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ Great shots, WonderlandPark! Based on my rough calculations, the taller tower of the Grand Ave. Project should go about 2/3 of the way up Cal Plaza 1 (the shorter of the two) in that first shot, possibly a tad higher. It won't blow up the skyline, but will definitely be visible, and will expand it north when viewing from the east or west.
Isn't the taller Gehry a bit over 500ft? The shorter Cal Plaza is 577ft so it will be taller than 2/3 of the height.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Well, that’s even more ridiculous that 3 years is the minimum. Is that an LA thing or a common thing?
Unfortunately yes.. 18 months to 3 years is pretty standard now.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Unfortunately yes.. 18 months to 3 years is pretty standard now.
And again, that’s not just an LA thing.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 6:59 PM

nice shots of downtown...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 12:48 AM

Just a few observations and opinions:

Circa has installed new LED lights going up the sides of the towers.

Onni's philosophy of copy and paste needs to be stopped before it becomes too much, nevertheless it is good infill. Also, what is with the dark blue not going all the way down? It does on the north facing side.

On the Aven tower, are they really going to let those openings like that? Hopefully they cover them with the red grills. Terrible design oversight.

Wouldn't it be nice to see more of this faux window/exterior finishes painted on some of the historic buildings?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 4:33 AM

OMG that Aven podium is the most hideous thing I've seen since the Watermarke podium. Shit like that needs to stop being built, geez!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 10:04 AM

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 6:11 PM

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 6:16 PM

That podium is awful. I don't know what to do to get interest in preventing that. I know it mostly comes down to parking minimums. But in spite of that we need a general design standard that says floor to ceiling this development has to be fronted by non-parking uses for at least 75% of the street. Not just the ground floor, but top to bottom conceal the parking with other use.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:38 PM

It all comes down to cost and regulations. Below grade parking makes a project exponentially more expensive than an above grade parking podium. Above ground parking is necessary to provide a decently designed tower with good materials and nice finishes in the vast majority of cases because again cost of digging down is ridiculously high. That being said the architect can do muuuuuch better job concealing the parking or making it aesthetically appealing or interesting

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 2:48 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Palmetto & Coylton is fan-diddly-tastic.

The Onni 12th and Flower towers were hit hard - and repeatedly - by the gratuitous spandrel glass ugly stick. The first renders were so much better as they incorporated some of the vertical elements of the 60's 4-story Kor Group office building they surround into the towers and the podium. This current design is just 4th-rate Vancouver condo tower drivel. It has no context and no style.

Circa, by comparison, turned out great.

Aven has a podium that even it's mother can't love.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 5:31 PM
Metal Up Your !

Gosh, I'll throw my own few cents on the awful podium too. They drew some horizontal lines, and they thought, let's throw a few random rectangle openings there to make this more interesting. That's probably literally all the effort they put into it. Screw these hackitects. These bland walls create a negative effect on the subconscious of people.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 5:57 PM

New renderings for the California Market Center redesign at 9th/Main, set for completion in 2020

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...109-story.html

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:28 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ That looks great. It's amazing what a fresh set of windows can do to update a building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations