HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:31 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
https://www.neyer.com/al-neyer-sets-...trip-district/

I don't think I've seen this posted here yet. Its a little dated, but I think they still want to move forward on it.
That would add some nice density along that stretch of Smallman St. I hope they do move forward with it. According to that little tidbit there, it looks like they planned on starting construction by this past summer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 11:42 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
https://www.neyer.com/al-neyer-sets-...trip-district/

I don't think I've seen this posted here yet. Its a little dated, but I think they still want to move forward on it.
Yes, that is a really interesting project. I personally like it but I am the type of person who favors large developments.

It is actually on page 1 of this thread with a pic of the rendering that Photolith took last year.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Northwood details office development plan for Dock 51 on Lawrenceville riverfront

Northwood Investors LLC gave its first presentation of a redevelopment proposal for a “mega-building” in the 10th ward of Lawrenceville.

David Figgins, a Boston-based project manager for Northwood and a native of Pittsburgh, appeared before a Block Watch community meeting at the offices of Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania in Lawrenceville. The meeting was next to the still-operating Sears Outlet store in a building that totals more than 300,000 square feet that sits on more than 14 acres that Northwood bought last year and for which it is now pursuing its redevelopment.

Figgins said the property was part of a package of Sears facilities Northwood bought and was one the company at one point originally considered selling off. But he added Northwood has since been researching the changes that have occurred in the surrounding Lawrenceville neighborhood, which has become a hub of robotics and autonomous vehicle companies while experience a boom of new housing and restaurant development

Northwood is working with the architecture firm of Perkins Eastman on a plan to take a building in which the Sears Outlet only occupies a portion and build out the rest for new office and research and development use.

The design proposal calls for taking a portion of the interior out for an internal courtyard and daylighting and filling in the 70 docking bays with glass to repurpose them.

It’s a proposal for which Northwood is still working to establish the cost for a redevelopment that calls for replacing the roof on the long-neglected structure and repairing the brick work, along with adding new landscaping and building out an adjacent lot for parking for more than 600 cars.

The building features 18- to 20-foot ceilings, tall enough to be a good fit for various research and development needs, yet a little too low to be able to build out a mezzanine level, Figgins said.

The building is expected to offer office suites that range in size from 25,000 square feet to around 75,000 square feet and total about 250,000 square feet upon completion.

Northwood is exploring the prospects of adding a riverfront trail but faces challenges of a steep drop off to the river and will need to work with the Army Corps of Engineers at the river’s edge in what are still early stage plans.

He added Northwood has pursued its plan with the expectation of developing the rest of Dock 51 around the operating Sears Outlet, but noted the larger financial challenges of Sears Holding Co., which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, may mean the entire complex is redeveloped.

Figgins said Northwood is working under a rough scheduling target to begin construction on Dock 51 in September 2019 and complete the build out within 12 to 14 months.
https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...r-dock-51.html

Glad to see this has some momentum.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 7:07 PM

City officials have released the region's bid for Amazon's HQ2.

(I tend to agree with tech observers who write that the fix was in for metro DC and NYC.)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM View Post
(I tend to agree with tech observers who write that the fix was in for metro DC and NYC.)
I always said the matrix would have to be Northeast but low-cost, although in that case Pittsburgh could well be the pick. And they went Northeast, but very much not low-cost.

Of course the whole thing was probably just an exercise in extracting massive concessions for doing what they would have done anyway.

Anyway, could we still get this Lower Hill by any chance?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I always said the matrix would have to be Northeast but low-cost, although in that case Pittsburgh could well be the pick. And they went Northeast, but very much not low-cost.

Of course the whole thing was probably just an exercise in extracting massive concessions for doing what they would have done anyway.

What an amazing extension of the skyline this would have been. With or without Amazon it is possible but the local community groups will shoot it down like every other awesome plan (sigh). Maybe the weather is effecting my mood but it seems like development news has been slowed lately.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 12:25 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Yeah, there hasn't been shit going on really for like a year now. No new major projects have been announced forever. It seems like all the stuff proposed in the early 2010's has been completed or is about to be and nothing since like 2015 has really been announced thats come to any kind of head.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Yeah, there hasn't been shit going on really for like a year now. No new major projects have been announced forever. It seems like all the stuff proposed in the early 2010's has been completed or is about to be and nothing since like 2015 has really been announced thats come to any kind of head.
I really need to see the Esplanade project begin construction. If that falls through it will be a sad day. I did see work has begun on the Frank & Sedar a.k.a. Icon on Smithfield project which is a plus.

Also, site prep has begun on the new Bakery Square Office as shown in this photo I took just last night...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:25 AM

New planning commission presentation. Five new items this week, but relatively small ones.

1. Historic nomination of 111-A Woodland Road - the Abrams House - in Squirrel Hill. This house is architecturally significant because it was designed by Robert Venturi. It is currently under threat of demolition, with this nomination a last-ditch effort to save the structure. The house is on the rear of a parcel shared by another home, and the owners wish to demolish the Venturi house to expand their backyard. The home warrants preservation, but I'm not sure if it might be too recent (from the early 1980s) to fall under historic preservation guidelines.

2. Historic nomination for the Westinghouse Memorial in Schenley Park. Not as much to say here, because the memorial is in no danger. There's a bevy of historic detail attached however.

3. A plan to expand the LNC-zoned portion of Larimer to include significant amounts of parcels along Winslow Street now zoned R1-A. This is related to the new phase of Larimer construction which will also involve conversion of the old Larimer School into apartments. By zoning LNC multifamily will be allowed by right. I'm not sure why they didn't just zone it for multifamily, but this is better because it allows for greater future flexibility. It looks like the plan will involve two phases. Phase 1 will be all new construction and involve a 37-unit apartment building and 5 townhouses. Unfortunately, it looks like it will involve Larimer losing some of the last historic commercial buildings (though two new commercial space will be added). Phase 2 will involve the already known conversion of the school into 35 apartments, plus another 3 townhouses and 4 "garden apartments." The former auditorium of the school will also be converted into some sort of "public amenity."

4. New sign permit for Heinz Hall, replacing the six existing poster cases with digital displays.

5. A partial conversion of 625 Stanwix Street. Currently above the garage but below the tower there are two "long floors" of offices. The property owner wants to convert these into residential like the upper floors which will add 48 additional residential units to downtown. From the outside there will be little change save swapping out some windows on the lower floor.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:02 AM

Cool video about Dock 51: https://vimeo.com/285550715

Pretty clear who they're going after

Also, regarding Esplanade, Millcraft has narrowed it down to Clark Construction and Massaro for $300 million

https://buildingpittsburgh.com

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
There has been a ton, but all the activity is tech wanting to locate in the Strip / Oakland / East Liberty. Downtown is not really on their radar.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
There has been a ton, but all the activity is tech wanting to locate in the Strip / Oakland / East Liberty. Downtown is not really on their radar.
I'm actually cool for now with more residential going into Downtown while office/lab stuff goes into those sorts of areas.

There is stuff going on in Uptown too with likely more coming as the BRT plans advance.

I note we also have those big hospital projects advancing, the project near Homewood Station, stuff in Lawrenceville . . . .

Honestly, the only things that really annoy me are the sites controlled by the sports teams, but I expect that to still be an issue for decades to come because they suck and our politicians are unwilling to challenge them.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post

Also, regarding Esplanade, Millcraft has narrowed it down to Clark Construction and Massaro for $300 million

WOW! That video is awesome! I wonder who created it. Also, the Esplanade news is great! It's what I needed to hear. At least Millcraft follows through with what they announce.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:26 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

I agree with you.

I am not surprised that Amazon chose the largest labor market in the country (NYC) & the center of power (DC). I am surprised they split HQ2 into two additional sites. Sounds like they were absorbing as much free incentive money as possible.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I am not surprised that Amazon chose the largest labor market in the country (NYC) & the center of power (DC). I am surprised they split HQ2 into two additional sites. Sounds like they were absorbing as much free incentive money as possible.
I saw an interview with a business professor who studies corporate relocations. He said that the biggest factor is where the CEO wants to live. Bezos has homes less than ten miles from each of the sites and the Seattle HQ.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post

That really is a well made video!

Hopefully they find a way to better integrate this project into the neighborhood. They boast of 650 parking spots but no sidewalks lead to the site. It is a building completely surrounded by parking lots.

Admittedly the location is challenging with its single access road and surrounding light industrial properties. I'm hard pressed to offer a superior solution. One option is to forgo building a dock on the river. That money might be better spent on great pedestrian access along 51st street, linking their site to the businesses on butler street.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:47 AM

That IS a slick video.

I'll admit the Upper Lawrenceville riverfront is so off my radar, I am pretty much fine with whatever up there.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 1:05 AM

The Liquor Control Board is closing their Liberty Ave and Oxford Centre stores and opening a premium store in 350 Oliver...

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201811200063

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
The Liquor Control Board is closing their Liberty Ave and Oxford Centre stores and opening a premium store in 350 Oliver...

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201811200063
Not sure this is the best location honestly. I can understand wanting to have a premium store downtown, but something like the new Eighth/Penn building would be better, insofar as the Cultural District has a greater concentration of residents and hotels. In contrast, that area is still (though it's diversifying) pretty office heavy. I guess people like to pick up a bottle after work before taking the bus home, but I would think it would be pretty quiet outside of rush hour.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:14 AM

I'll miss the Oxford Centre store but this is still on my walking path from my bus stop.

I do think the office/commuter market is HUGE. I actually usually dropped by mornings or at lunch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations