HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 2:59 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Agree with the sentiments above about 730 W Randolph. The city should figure out how to incentivize this approach to development as favorable to knocking down the neighbors and going big.

Separately, I've been looking at homes in Bronzeville. The lowest models from the Parade of Homes are build by Inishfree Builders. Curious if anyone is familiar or knows how I could find out more about their track record. I'm super nervous to buy a POS new construction.
They sound like one of the hundreds of small Irish builders. Most of those guys focus on construction and rely on realty teams to do all the marketing and branding, so you probably won’t find much under the name Innisfree.

Quality for these guys can be all over the map, and even a master builder GC can sometimes be sunk by poor quality subs.

Know your rights though, as a new home buyer in Illinois you are covered by an Implied Warranty of Habitability addressing major and minor defects. Many builders will ask you to waive the “implied warranty” as written in state law and substitute a warranty with terms written by the builder, but it still has to provide a certain level of protection to you by law.

I did quality control for a builder for 3 years, many if not most builders are cooperative with warranty claims as long as you document them carefully and submit them in one or two batches.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Let’s see when it’s more than a rendering.

But this is the argument for midrise development. Real materials, nice narrow street frontage, no curb cuts or parking, and the second floor is actually used rather than a blank concrete wall.

I would fill the rest of the city up with these before ever having another highrise built, if it meant no more parking podiums would ever be built either. For the urban fabric at street level, it would be vastly better. Narrow some street widths and deviate from the grid here and there, and we’re really in business.
Fortunately this lot is inside the Fulton-Randolph landmark district so they have to pretty much conform. Not a whole lot of shortcuts to take.

We'll see what it looks like when done but I'm optimistic.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:21 PM

Talking cobblestones

......I really like the cobble stone intersections that the city is installing along Fulton Street

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Agreed. They look pretty fantastic.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 8:53 PM

They look like they'll be hell for cyclists tho

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 9:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

If the Tour can go over cobblestone roads at 40mph, I think local cyclists can handle this.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
They look like they'll be hell for cyclists tho
fact

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:52 AM

Whatever it's like 30' of stone, lift your ass up and coast. Like 50% of paved roads in Chicago are this bad or worse anyhow.

Let's focus on how it will discourage motorists from driving like jagoffs and killing peds and cyclists.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
fact
But as I am sure you agree the look is worth it. Bikers have to deal with this in a lot of cities in Europe and even in NYC.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Whatever it's like 30' of stone, lift your ass up and coast. Like 50% of paved roads in Chicago are this bad or worse anyhow.

Let's focus on how it will discourage motorists from driving like jagoffs and killing peds and cyclists.
One of the intersections in particular was installed pretty rough though (the Sangamon intersection, I think) They were still doing work on the joints in all the intersections and brick inlays in the sidewalks last week, so maybe they will come back to fix it? But that one is really bad. Hard to walk across, let alone bike.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 8:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
One of the intersections in particular was installed pretty rough though (the Sangamon intersection, I think) They were still doing work on the joints in all the intersections and brick inlays in the sidewalks last week, so maybe they will come back to fix it? But that one is really bad. Hard to walk across, let alone bike.
Green St is the worst one IMO. The other ones seem better, but it’s hard to tell because all the private construction in the area has put a few layers of mud and sand over the cobbles.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:26 AM

It doesn’t seem all that bad biking over the cobbles. It’s the least of my problems biking.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 6:11 PM
THAT Guy

150 N Clinton (aka building with the most interesting entrance) - they may be erecting an office addition on the parking lot next door

1220 W Van Buren - The Oxxford - rooftop addition to this office conversion

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 7:02 PM

Oh my god SpyGuy, the word play

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 7:45 PM

Just looked up the building and I must say, it's um... unique

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 9:28 PM

Someone on Reddit was asking about the lot on Michigan where the YWCA building used to be, and in the comments someone else claims to have seen plans for the lot. Anyone heard anything about this?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 10:52 PM

GEMS II - 355 E Wacker

Nov 21

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Someone on Reddit was asking about the lot on Michigan where the YWCA building used to be, and in the comments someone else claims to have seen plans for the lot. Anyone heard anything about this?
I'm guessing they are just remembering that glass, skinny tower that had been proposed before the recession. If not, then that's exciting, but I'm doubtful

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 5:31 PM
THAT Guy

Beef 'n Brandy no more. Looks like the current hideous building on State Street will be restored into a small Sonder "hotel" and retail.

There's some other buildings on State that I would like to see get the same type of treatment.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 1:16 AM
TL;DR

We’ve definitely seen that rendering before. The new news then is Sonder’s involvement?

TBH it’s probably a good model for lodging moving forward. Erect a small apartment building, maybe with some modest facilities for housekeeping etc, then get the entire building operating as a limited service “hotel” under the category of vacation rentals which are allowed in all B/C zoning. That way you avoid pissing off permanent residents in existing residential buildings while sidestepping questions of taking housing stock off the market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development