HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
gif circus
Not everyone realizes that Edward Everett Horton was in some late Silent films too, and really quite good (I've seen a couple)...but his voice fits him so perfectly that he's at his best when you can hear him too!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:19 AM

Although the image is labeled as Main and Alameda, the Sun Tent Co. building face is seen off of Aliso St. The palms in the foreground are somewhere near Marschessault St. Post 3595 on page 180, posted by gsjansen, details the view from the opposite camera angle with a very large posted image. I think the site for the gas station is now in the middle of the 101.

I know we've discussed this image before on this forum. I wish there was an index of this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
A couple of great photos

Facing south towards City Hall and the Civic Center from Chinatown at the corner of North Alameda Street and Main Street
Full-sized image at the USC Digital Library

This is a great photo, sharp and clear and full of legible signs. You can see Saint Vibiana's Cathedral in the top right corner of this crop:

The Signal Gas Station (right above the pair of palms) is now a Chevron station.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 10:42 AM

This was just listed on ebay.

"1935 Vintage Photo car accident on bridge Redondo Blvd. Venice Blvd. Los Angeles"

EBAY

1935 Vintage Photo by ACME by one of the strange pranks fate often plays in traffic accidents, Violet Stratton miraculously escaped death
or serious injury when this car carried her through the guard rail of a bridge and headed toward the storm drain about 40 feet below,
at Redondo And Venice Boulevards in Los Angeles, California. Note how the debris-catching wire fence has arrested the fall of the car.

I bet that's a Bank of America sign in the distance.

(also note the wig-wag).

I visited the intersection and there is no sign of a bridge or a waterway.

Check it out at GSV

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 6, 2018 at 10:52 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:57 PM

This December 16, 1931 aerial clearly shows the bridge, but it looks like it was before the storm drain got its concrete bed. The 1948 view at Historic Aerials shows the storm drain already hidden below the widened roadway.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Not everyone realizes that Edward Everett Horton was in some late Silent films too, and really quite good (I've seen a couple)...but his voice fits him so perfectly that he's at his best when you can hear him too!
His voice earned him the part of the narrator of Fractured Fairy Tales on the Bullwinkle Show (85 episodes). And then there was the (today horrifyingly un-PC) role of Roaring Chicken on F Troop:

https://img.sharetv.com/shows/charac...ng_chicken.jpg

Times have changed.

Earl

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 7:21 PM

If the Signal Gas Station is located on the north/west corner of Alameda and Macy, where is Olvera Street?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

"1935 Vintage Photo car accident on bridge Redondo Blvd. Venice Blvd. Los Angeles"

I bet that's a Bank of America sign in the distance.
I think this could be where the Bank of America sign once stood. It's 5086 W Pico Boulevard, one block north of Venice. The address is listed as a branch of the Bank of Italy in the 1929 CD, and there are references to a "Pico-Redondo branch" of the Bank of America in the mid- to late-30s, but no definitive listings. I've so far failed to find an old photo of the building when it was a bank.

GSV

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:20 PM

For more on Bobbie Gentry, check out Episode 4 of the Cocaine and Rhinestones podcast. She had a variety television show in England!

C&R is a fascinating history of country music - and some of the episodes delve into the effect Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Bakersfield had on the development of the music. LA at one time was a hotbed of country.

Link:https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/bo...xit-stage-left

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
If the Signal Gas Station is located on the north/west corner of Alameda and Macy, where is Olvera Street?
The Signal station, and Sun Tent, are on Aliso ST, not Macy.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
In 1967 (the turning point in Bobbie Gentry's life) her #1 hit 'Ode to Billie Joe" was released.

I have a Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour dvd where she is a guest on one of the episodes and sings this song. It is done very stylistically. Part of the Smothers intro commented on how much the song was played on the radio that year. (Right now I don't recall if she also sings another song or appears in a comedy bit.)

If you don't know, the song (which included a lyric about throwing a mysterious "something", never named, off the "Tallahatchie Bridge", was made into a 1976 film starring Robbie Benson.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I have a Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour dvd where she is a guest on one of the episodes and sings this song. It is done very stylistically. Part of the Smothers intro commented on how much the song was played on the radio that year. (Right now I don't recall if she also sings another song or appears in a comedy bit.)

If you don't know, the song (which included a lyric about throwing a mysterious "something", never named, off the "Tallahatchie Bridge", was made into a 1976 film starring Robbie Benson.
Wasn't that 'something' supposed to be a dead infant?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoVerde View Post
Although the image is labeled as Main and Alameda, the Sun Tent Co. building face is seen off of Aliso St. The palms in the foreground are somewhere near Marschessault St. Post 3595 on page 180, posted by gsjansen, details the view from the opposite camera angle with a very large posted image. I think the site for the gas station is now in the middle of the 101.

I know we've discussed this image before on this forum. I wish there was an index of this site.
Hi all! I am new to posting on this thread but I have been browsing it for a couple of years. I've always wanted to jump in where I can be of value to the discussion. Regarding the USC Library Chinatown photo, it is indeed mislabled. The area shown is Chinatown but as GatoVerde states, it is the corner of Aliso and Alameda at top left with the notorious Ferguson Alley just out of view bottom right. The area at bottom of the photo is now LA Union Station. This picture shows the opposite view of the area as posted by MichaelRyerson on post #9273 on page 464. [IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelryerson/7992882394 as posted by /[/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I think this could be where the Bank of America sign once stood. It's 5086 W Pico Boulevard, one block north of Venice. The address is listed as a branch of the Bank of Italy in the 1929 CD, and there are references to a "Pico-Redondo branch" of the Bank of America in the mid- to late-30s, but no definitive listings. I've so far failed to find an old photo of the building when it was a bank.

GSV

Here's part of a 1942 permit application that lists it as a bank and the owner as Bank Of America.

ladbsdoc.lacity.org

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoVerde View Post
The Signal station, and Sun Tent, are on Aliso ST, not Macy.
Thank you. Then, following comment is in error?

"The Signal Gas Station (right above the pair of palms) is now a Chevron station."

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
Thank you. Then, following comment is in error?

"The Signal Gas Station (right above the pair of palms) is now a Chevron station."
No, that's about a block too far north on Alameda. Ferguson Alley is at the bottom right and you don't see Olvera Street in the photo. Here's pretty much a modern view:

via Google Maps

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Slim View Post
For more on Bobbie Gentry, check out Episode 4 of the Cocaine and Rhinestones podcast. She had a variety television show in England!

C&R is a fascinating history of country music - and some of the episodes delve into the effect Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Bakersfield had on the development of the music. LA at one time was a hotbed of country.

Link:https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/bo...xit-stage-left
Love Bobby Gentry. Nothing better to embarrass the kids than picking them up from high school with some Bobby Gentry blasting from the stereo. She got married the same week I was born.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Hope you had some time to head up to City Hall's observation deck, really nice view up there. AND IT'S FREE!
Bill, Fortunately, I did. An extra long lunch break allowed me to walk to Grand Central Market for lunch and have time to get back to city hall and up to the observation deck. The clear weather on Tuesday made for spectacular views. Well worth the effort.
Bristolian Photo

Juror parking is provided at the Disney Concert Hall so it was pretty cool to park pretty much where South Bunker Hill Avenue used to be, although with much of the hill being leveled and parking as much as six stories underground, underneath would be more accurate.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Bill, Fortunately, I did. An extra long lunch break allowed me to walk to Grand Central Market for lunch and have time to get back to city hall and up to the observation deck. The clear weather on Tuesday made for spectacular views. Well worth the effort.
Bristolian Photo

Juror parking is provided at the Disney Concert Hall so it was pretty cool to park pretty much where South Bunker Hill Avenue used to be, although with much of the hill being leveled and parking as much as six stories underground, underneath would be more accurate.
You did get a pretty clear view, also a good shot of the final demise of the "erector set parking lot" at 1st and Grand.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
No, that's about a block too far north on Alameda. Ferguson Alley is at the bottom right and you don't see Olvera Street in the photo. Here's pretty much a modern view:

via Google Maps
Thank you for the correction, BillinGlendaleCA - I have gone back and corrected my original post, and made it link to your post above.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 9:38 AM

Accident: Redondo Blvd. and Venice Blvd. [1935]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal reality

cropped a bit.

I visited the intersection and there is no sign of a bridge or a waterway.

Redondo Blvd. and Venice Blvd. -site of the accident

Check it out at GSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

This December 16, 1931 aerial clearly shows the bridge, but it looks like it was before the storm drain got its concrete bed.
The 1948 view at Historic Aerials shows the storm drain already hidden below the widened roadway.

mil.library.ucsb.edu
That's a great aerial Hoss. The "storm drain" is Ballona Creek, right? It's amazing to see it uncover in the area shown above.

As a reminder; Ballona Creek is still open-air just a couple blocks to the west of the 1935 accident bridge.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

It's where the creek/ditch veers to the south at Cochran Ave. (orange mark)

The view at Cochran looking west

GSV

__

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos