HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I thought I'd try Boxing Day shopping for the first time and left with mixed feelings about the whole thing. To keep the day tolerable I limited myself to Best Buy only. It was busy but not packed with crazed people like I expected. The discounts were proper discounts and the guy helping me was calm, friendly, and polite.

I bought a television that was $1000 off. After that the experience took a nose dive. I was handed off to some Geek Squad guy who didn't give a shit what I wanted. He wanted to unload as many 'extras' on me as possible and looked annoyed that I wasn't saying yes.... and doing it quickly. He was going 100 mph and told us we had to hurry up because his manager was waiting for us. Complete lie as when we got there to be rung in we had to wait. The bad vibes continued. The girl checking my receipt on the way out had no social graces to speak of. She wouldn't make eye contact and got pissed off that my mother asked her a question.

I got a good deal but ....
The best BestBuy Experience possible is online. In store is a pain.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:16 AM

They make a commission when they sell you the extended warranties etc.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I feel like that should be something they have to deisclose.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:00 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
The best BestBuy Experience possible is online. In store is a pain.
I suppose although I needed to ask a lot of questions + I don't use plastic.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:03 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
That's what I suspected. I think he was on commission for anything he unloaded on me. I took the wall mount service and calibration but said no to the extended warranty. I'm canceling everything on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I feel like that should be something they have to deisclose.
Agree. I've never had a good experience with Geek Squad or other people on commission. They're never up front/unbiased and always use pressure tactics to sell sell sell. I avoided Future Shop (before they were bought by BestBuy) specifically because they were on commission. They'd flat out lie to my face.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:15 PM
Registered Drug User

For years now I've only ever shopped at Best Buy, with few exceptions. The good enough selection, the two-week no-questions-asked return policy and the 12-month no-interest plan for major purchases (I've used it a couple times for purchases over $2,000--granted, the "financing fee" costs more than the interest would ever accrue to, but still...) are winning concepts.

Especially the way returns are done. I think approximately every third purchase I've made there has resulted in a return where I either subsequently purchased a different brand or product that better suited me, or I didn't follow-up with another purchase at all, having realized after using it for a few days that I didn't want or need the thing after all.

They're not stupid. I wouldn't describe myself as "loyal" to Best Buy so much as thinking of them as the least painless option there is. I've bought a few things from Amazon, but I'd never get anything really expensive through them, as it seems like a free-for-all. You never really know who you're dealing with.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I did all my boxing day shopping online. Some of the sites had a better deal on black friday.

Dependng on the source and the spin some say the sales were lower than years ago, others say it was "madness" with packed malls

----

'We’ll never do it again': Some shoppers unimpressed with Boxing Day in Winnipeg

Jason Gaidola, CTV Winnipeg

CF Polo Park was home to heavy traffic and long lines on Boxing Day.

Winnipeg’s largest mall opened its doors and stores like EB Games had a lineup of people that lasted for hours.

“I arrived here at 7:30 (a.m.), I waited outside,” said Darien Valentine, who was attempting to purchase an Xbox for his partner.

Winnipeg’s largest mall opened its doors and stores like EB Games had a line-up of people that lasted for hours.

“It’s like 1:15pm…It’s heartbreaking.”

Valentine said he typically purchases his video games and consoles online, but wanted to take his chance at the mall for a possibly better deal, and to get the Xbox right away.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/we-ll-ne...ipeg-1.4231785

Boxing Day shopping was madness across Canada this year (PHOTOS)

Canadian bargain-hunters didn’t let the cold weather, fatigue or long lineups stop them from hitting the streets and shopping for the latest sales this Boxing Day.

In fact, many Canadian malls saw massive lineups and crowds with shoppers patiently waiting to get their hands on the biggest electronics, apparel and jewellery deals.

Here’s what went down from coast to coast.

Vancouver
Vancouverites braved the rain as shoppers flooded McArthurGlen mall in a heavy and constant flow of traffic.

Both the Richmond Centre and Tsawwassen Mills were happening all day.

http://dailyhive.com/toronto/boxing-...da-photos-2018

-----

More Alberta shoppers searching for Boxing Day deals online

By Michael King
Digital Journalist Global News

Big ticket items like TVs, laptops, and vacuums flew off Calgary shelves Boxing Day, even as Canadians do more of their shopping online.

A recent survey from RetailMeNot showed that while Canadians still think Boxing Day offers some of the best deals of the year, fewer shoppers are willing to drive to the mall.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4795266/a...line-shopping/
I went to (CF) Masonville Place in London. From my observation it appeared to be less busy than last year; last year it took me a long time to find parking but this year there was lots of parking. This was despite the fact the abandoned Target has since been replaced by Homesense and Marshall’s.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 3:56 AM

I went to metropolis at metrotown today, parking was packed, a few stores had lineups outside to get in. The line up to pay at Uniqlo snaked around the store and I think they were saying a 30 minute wait.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 3:24 AM

seems like all of a sudden a lot of Gap stores have closed down in the last few weeks. Now I see why.

Gap looking to close hundreds of stores at malls ‘quickly and aggressively’
PUBLISHED WED, NOV 21 2018

Quote:
The retailer said Tuesday evening that it still has 775 Gap-branded stores globally, in addition to those under the Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta banners. Gap Inc. has more than 3,000 stores around the world. The namesake brand, however, has been the weakest unit of the company of late. In the fiscal third quarter, sales at Gap stores open for at least 12 months fell 7 percent, while those at Old Navy and Banana Republic were positive.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/21/gap-...ressively.html

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 4:03 AM

Finally! I don't have anything against gap but I think it's smart to get rid of it. Focus on the other two brands instead. Not to mention gap stores literally haven't changed at all in 20 plus years.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 4:04 AM

Quote:
I went to metropolis at metrotown today, parking was packed, a few stores had lineups outside to get in. The line up to pay at Uniqlo snaked around the store and I think they were saying a 30 minute wait.
That's ridiculous and those people are idiots

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 8:13 AM

they had some good deals on their jackets though. I bought one today at the Coqutilam store, was 99.90 on sale for 59.90. The sale is over now.

I got home and noticed the security thing was on it lol so I can't wear it till I take it back and get it removed.

The store wasn't crazy busy like Metrotown, but was much busier than the Old Navy ever was in that location.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 8:19 AM

You can usually cut those security things off. I've had to do that before.

That is a good sale. But can't you get that online?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 9:14 AM

they didn't have any sizes online that would fit, most of them were sold out, they only had small in every colour I looked at. There was still a large selection in store.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I suppose although I needed to ask a lot of questions + I don't use plastic.
If that is the case then you want to go talk to a local independent. The successful independents are in buying groups that let them offer similar prices to companies like Best Buy.

Millenium Micro is the largest of these networks of independents:
https://www.milleniummicro.ca/

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:44 PM

I don't think we had these in BC, but I remember shopping there when I lived in Ontario in the early 90's.

BiWay is set to be resurrected in 2019 with new store

CTVNews.ca Staff

Last Updated Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:59PM EST

A bag for BiWay can be seen in this undated photo. (Toronto Mike/ Twitter)

Defunct discount chain BiWay is set to make a comeback of sorts in 2019.

BiWay had around 250 shops across the country and operated for more than 30 years before shutting down in 2001.

Retail veteran Mal Coven, 89, who helped build the brand, hopes to resurrect the name with a new 7,500 square feet "BiWay $10 Store" scheduled to open in August in Toronto.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/biway-...tore-1.4210236

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 8:57 PM

We just got an Oomomo at my local mall, it's just an edited Daiso and its great

Asian lifestyle, household goods stores have big Canadian expansion plans

By Tara Deschamps The Canadian Press January 24, 2019

When discount store Oomomo flung open the doors to its first Toronto location in early December, customers lined up well in advance to scoop up everything from low-cost origami paper and shrimp-flavoured chips to vegetable peelers and toothbrushes.

Oomomo’s president Andy Cheng expects the scene will repeat dozens of times as the Vancouver-based purveyor of Japanese goods expands beyond its current four stores in Canada to open about 30 in the country over the next three years.

“We have customers asking us if we can open as many as possible and make it as huge and giant as possible,” he said of the brand that sells mostly Diaso and Seria products for $2, but prices some up to $15.

Miniso — a Chinese discount brand masquerading as a Japanese company — has the most ambitious goal in mind: 500 stores by the end of 2020.

Despite a recent court case threatening to force the Canadian operators into bankruptcy over allegations that they fraudulently transferred registered trademark rights to third-party corporations and disposed of inventory, Miniso has already opened 50 stores in Canada since its December 2017 launch in the country.

Muji, whose stores are more fashion-centric and expensive than Miniso but still marketed as affordable, has more pared down expectations.
Vice-president Shogo Okazeri said Muji hopes to grow the eight stores it has opened in B.C. and Ontario to 30 by 2025. Okazeri named Alberta and Quebec as target markets for the expansion.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4883881/a...GkuWkx_6mdsTgs

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:35 AM

Church's chicken is so good

Church's Chicken® Adds Four New Franchisees to Further Expand Brand in Canada

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Church's Chicken
Jan 24, 2019,

Quote:
"The growing chicken market in Canada has been a key component of our expansion strategy in the western hemisphere," said Eduardo Garcia, Senior Director of Americas Business for Church's Chicken. "The fact that we've been able to successfully initiate not just one, but four new franchise relationships, is a testament to the brand's reputation of having a quality product and strong business model."

Mian Nadeem will be leading their new franchise operations in Southwest Ontario to include York, Hamilton, Niagara, Waterloo, and Wellington-Peel as well as the municipalities of Oakville and Burlington, where the team also owns a real estate brokerage – The Empire Realty Point, a real estate development company under the same Empire umbrella, and a master franchise agreement with Freedom mobile throughout Ontario.
Quote:
In Alberta, Fays Enterprises Ltd, under the leadership of CEO Mian Ahmad and operating partner Yasir Saeed, bring a combined 20+ years in the food and retail industry, and are looking forward to extending the Church's Chicken quality food and genuine hospitality experience to the people of Edmonton. "We take great pride in upholding the top-notch industry standards and guest satisfaction people associate with Church's products," said Mian.
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...861368506.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 7:41 AM

I've always loved that there's a Church's Chicken in YVR terminal, it's such a random choice to be in an airport food court, but so smart, people love it

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 9:08 PM

the Church's near me is 24 hours and it stays busy at night, been in around midnight a few times and the tables are full.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada