HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 8:03 PM
The City

That website shows a lot. Looks like there are plans for a lot of “Asian themed” developments in Aurora, including an Asian mall:

http://www.hmcrty.com/Featured-%E6%9...sian-Cool-Mall

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Those look similar to other recent housing built in Chinatown just north of Chinatown Square.

I guess it’s a Chinese thing maybe, but they seem to prefer that layout. I’m not particularly fond of it, personally. I like more traditional urbanism where everything fronts the street and you get a proper streetwall.

Anyhow, it’s still good to see all of this investment
Yeah. I mean it's better than what's there now, but kind of not what I'd call ideal either, personally. The thing is that what people here think China is like or what middle/upper class people from there want I find is kind of different than reality. I mean, my fiancee keeps telling me how Chinese people love Chicago because it has actual greenery around and everything, and from an urban perspective less of them like Manhattan than many Americans think/realize. All the cities I went to were pretty damn green at street level. They have public parks, but it wasn't this BS like "the entire city is concrete, steel, and glass and here's a few parks because we can't give you trees anywhere else. Go spend time there if you want to see a few trees." She found that concept foreign until moving to NYC. Definitely a good balance of nature/greenery in the cities. First time in the South Loop she asked if the Chinese had designed it because it looked just like parts of Shanghai. Her parents loved Chicago for these reasons, and pretty much hate Manhattan for these reasons too. Hong Kong in the city itself in many areas is kind of brutal like that - more of the original, long time ones to Chicago. In the last decade, the Chinese people arriving in Chicago are from mainland which has more of the nature in the city respect.

The difference though is that they might put some green space in between buildings, but they don't have this mentality like "no retail or restaurants!!!!!" My fiancee's parents live in an area where there's nothing at ground level like that, but it's all zen gardens and ponds and stuff, but you walk 5-10 minutes and there's loads of restaurants and bars anyway.

So this type of development is not totally surprising to me after having spent time in China. As long as there are restaurants and stuff around to walk to, they could care less that there's 30 feet between their buildings instead of 2 feet as long as there's some greenery around and stuff like that. As my fiancee puts it, "We will live anywhere as long as it's cheap, there's some food around, and good schools or schools we can make better." When I'd tell her that there's been a big influx in Chinese in Bridgeport, Brighton Park, etc her first question is "houses must be cheap there, right?" LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
I'm always around the Ashland Orange line stop when I head down to BoTYs and it's really close to being a nice area in my opinion. More developments like that and that area will keep improving. Crazy to see how over the years the Asian(mostly Chinese) expansion south and west has accelerated.
In 2010, Archer Heights had 0 Asian people. In 2017, the Census estimates they have around 750 I think, probably closing in on 1000 this year at that rate if not more.

Oh yeah, across the street from that development on Archer, for example will be this 34 unit building:
http://www.hmcrty.com/Featured-%E6%9.../3211-S-Archer

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 26, 2019 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 9:33 PM

^ Wow, that's even more sudden than I thought! It's a good thing too, so much open space for expansion pretty much everywhere in that area. A lot of potential with abandoned or soon to be abandoned factories in that area and McKinley Park as well. Beautiful old stock if you just dig a little

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
^ Wow, that's even more sudden than I thought! It's a good thing too, so much open space for expansion pretty much everywhere in that area. A lot of potential with abandoned or soon to be abandoned factories in that area and McKinley Park as well. Beautiful old stock if you just dig a little
Yeah. The few things along the river kind of make sense. With some solid backing investment, they could turn some of the industrial river areas into something awesome, maybe. There are some townhome developments in McKinley Park and Brighton Park that have finished or are U/C or going to start soon that are totally geared towards Chinese buyers (for example, the vacant lot at Pershing & Wolcott which will become 16 townhomes).

I never connected the dots for a lot of the stuff until finding out about Hoyt Square. I'm seriously wondering how many businesses they have signed to Canal Square for example. Kind of smart in that most of the spaces are around or not much more than 1000 sq ft. There has been some restaurants from other city's Chinese communities open in Chicago's Chinatown lately like Friend BBQ (from NYC), Gao's (from Dallas ..I think), Meet Fresh (Taiwan), Tsaocaa (Baltimore), and some Korean imports like Bonchon and Tous Le Jours. Of course with Hoyt Square, ones from NYC like 99 Favor Taste. You want local stuff, but if some good stuff from Flushing or Brooklyn comes, then that's great too.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 10:25 PM
The City

Nice article on how Pilsen has "arrived" with rental properties now selling in 7 figures.

Early investors (like myself, although I don't intend to sell) did well, as is the neighborhood:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...et-big-profits

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 10:27 PM
The City

The Chinese are indeed bullish on Chicago, it seems.

I was just at an open house for a hot investment property in west Logan Square and a lot of Chinese investors showed up. Truth is, Chicago is cheap. And those areas of town (Humboldt Park, Logan Sq, etc etc) are drop dead gorgeous.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Nice article on how Pilsen has "arrived" with rental properties now selling in 7 figures.

Early investors (like myself, although I don't intend to sell) did well, as is the neighborhood:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...et-big-profits
I hope the culture in Pilsen stays, but I also find it weird how they try and fight so much the gentrification wave by only paying attention to when people are proposing big developments instead of realizing the renovation projects and stuff like that in the area that happens without them knowing until it's "too late."

I love Pilsen, and the one thing you don't want to see is somewhere losing its character. It will lose some - just hope there's a balance, that's all.

Quote:
The Chinese are indeed bullish on Chicago, it seems.

I was just at an open house for a hot investment property in west Logan Square and a lot of Chinese investors showed up. Truth is, Chicago is cheap. And those areas of town (Humboldt Park, Logan Sq, etc etc) are drop dead gorgeous.
LOL my fiancee said "Of course. Chinese people love to buy houses." Were these investors living in Chicago or were they from elsewhere? That's pretty interesting.

I also read that an article from a few months ago in a Chinese paper that Hand Enterprise Solutions, which is an IT services (consulting) company is looking at opening up an office in the Chicago area. They have an office in Milpitas, CA (near San Jose) that opened recently, but they have at least 8000 employees in China I think. Would be interesting if they opened in the city, but wouldn't be surprised if they opened in Naperville or somewhere like that instead. They've been around for nearly 25 years now as a company and fairly successful.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 11:21 PM

Revcon also on 1200 block of Jackson. Que es?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Revcon also on 1200 block of Jackson. Que es?
https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018...ear-west-side/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 1:12 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I hope the culture in Pilsen stays, but I also find it weird how they try and fight so much the gentrification wave by only paying attention to when people are proposing big developments instead of realizing the renovation projects and stuff like that in the area that happens without them knowing until it's "too late."

I love Pilsen, and the one thing you don't want to see is somewhere losing its character. It will lose some - just hope there's a balance, that's all.
Old-school Pilsen residents hate the small scale renovations and new 3-flats too. But there's currently no legal way to stop someone from buying a building, putting money into it and then raising the rents. You'd have to do rent control or something, which I really hope doesn't happen...

You could stop new construction by downzoning the whole neighborhood, I guess. Most of residential Pilsen is RT-4, so new 3-flats are allowed by-right. Downzone it all to RS-3 like Logan Square, and that all stops unless developers can get the alderman's blessing on a case-by-case basis. Probably the new alderman, whoever that is, will do just that. Solis was crucified by the more vocal parts of the Mexican community for NOT doing more to stop development, but pretty much all he can do is a blanket downzone.

Of course, economics are what they are. The land value is gonna keep rising regardless. If you downzone the neighborhood to prevent new 3-flats, then developers will find ways to make money under the reduced zoning. As we've seen from Logan Square and Bucktown, that means deconversions to single-family. Ugh. THAT will be how Pilsen loses its culture... a diverse mix of apartment dwellers replaced by million-dollar McMansions.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:28 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Speaking of which, there was another zoning application from last night about redeveloping the former power plant at 1111 W Cermak - Cermak, Morgan, and Canalport. The plan is to redevelop it into a 350,000 sq ft data center and some light industrial uses. I think the data center portion they'd newly build, but not 100% certain on that part exactly.
Just want to call attention to this... the zoning app filed with the city calls for a TOTAL demolition of the Fisk site, to be replaced with Bolingbrook-style mega warehouses and maybe some barge docks.

Is this the best we can do?

if we lose Fisk, that will be the last of the grand old power plants from the Gilded Age. We've already lost State Line and Crawford. It doesn't look like much from Cermak, so I think most people are blind to what's really back there... but it was the world's largest steam turbine at the time of construction and really represented the technological revolution that brought electricity into every home. Plus it has amazing historic architecture from Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge (who designed the Cultural Center as well as half of Boston) and Daniel Burnham.

Library of Congress/HAER

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:42 AM

^ According to an article from the Tribune from nearly a year ago, it's going to be demolished. Unfortunately - at least part of it. In the application it's pretty clear they're going to build 2 3-story buildings for the site at least.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 4:15 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Old-school Pilsen residents hate the small scale renovations and new 3-flats too. But there's currently no legal way to stop someone from buying a building, putting money into it and then raising the rents. You'd have to do rent control or something, which I really hope doesn't happen...

You could stop new construction by downzoning the whole neighborhood, I guess. Most of residential Pilsen is RT-4, so new 3-flats are allowed by-right. Downzone it all to RS-3 like Logan Square, and that all stops unless developers can get the alderman's blessing on a case-by-case basis. Probably the new alderman, whoever that is, will do just that. Solis was crucified by the more vocal parts of the Mexican community for NOT doing more to stop development, but pretty much all he can do is a blanket downzone.

Of course, economics are what they are. The land value is gonna keep rising regardless. If you downzone the neighborhood to prevent new 3-flats, then developers will find ways to make money under the reduced zoning. As we've seen from Logan Square and Bucktown, that means deconversions to single-family. Ugh. THAT will be how Pilsen loses its culture... a diverse mix of apartment dwellers replaced by million-dollar McMansions.
If Mexican American culture were endangered I would definitely understand these sentiments.

But it's not. Far from it, in fact. It's thriving and blossoming.

Chicago's classic built environment is endangered. People preserving these properties for posterity are doing so at their own financial risk, and they are heroes. Instead of being lauded, they are being villainized by some culturally intolerant members of society. Let the investment in Pilsen continue, lest the neighborhood whither away.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 1:42 PM

905 W Fulton

Jan 22

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 3:38 PM

930 W Fulton Market

Jan 22

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 2:35 PM

They are punching out the bricked up windows on the Margie's Candies Building today. I couldn't snap a photo due to the crap weather. So excited to see this building come back to life.

https://www.outpostinv.com/the-milwest/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:56 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Well, Crain's is confused too about the site!
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...digan-fbi-tape

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:33 PM

Does anybody know what's happening on the southeast corner of Lawrence and Ashland?

It's an old autoshop that's all fenced off with construction signs. Would be great if something urban were going on that corner - which has just been such a mess for so so long.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
Does anybody know what's happening on the southeast corner of Lawrence and Ashland?

It's an old autoshop that's all fenced off with construction signs. Would be great if something urban were going on that corner - which has just been such a mess for so so long.
New apartment building. I don't think I've seen a rendering though.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 12:36 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development