HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 9:04 AM

Quote:
SAINT JOHN – Saint John Energy will issue a Request for Proposal Friday inviting developers to build a $30-million wind energy project in the Spruce Lake Industrial Park on the city’s west side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I'm guessing this project will be on the west side of King William Road.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 12:56 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

I would disagree that we're on the same level as Boston's Back Bay, but hype train aside this advertorial from Develop SJ (published in Atlantic Business Magazine) has a roundup of projects underway Uptown and a bit of extra info re: plans for City Hall. Apparently a residential conversion of some of the upper floors of the tower hasn't yet been ruled out.

I also note the low vacancy rate quoted for newly built/renovated units, which corroborates my intuition that demand continues to be strong for high-quality residences uptown.

Source

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:08 PM

I was withholding judgment until I could see more, but the new Irving HQ has got to be the most premium office building in Maritimes (I’ve seen quite a few in my career throughout Maritimes). There is a reason it is under construction for almost 3 years. If you have a chance look in the glass side along Sydney street when dark so you can see inside. The atrium along Sydney street and staircase is impressive from bottom to top floor. This truly is an iconic building not just an office building. Hoping they offer tours to public

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
I was withholding judgment until I could see more, but the new Irving HQ has got to be the most premium office building in Maritimes (I’ve seen quite a few in my career throughout Maritimes). There is a reason it is under construction for almost 3 years. If you have a chance look in the glass side along Sydney street when dark so you can see inside. The atrium along Sydney street and staircase is impressive from bottom to top floor. This truly is an iconic building not just an office building. Hoping they offer tours to public
The Irving HQ the most premium in the maritimes? lol maybe the ugliest but halifax as much much nicer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark smith View Post
The Irving HQ the most premium in the maritimes? lol maybe the ugliest but halifax as much much nicer.
Well it isn't done yet, so I think "ugliest" is premature. By premium I believe he means material choice and detailing, which is not surprising given that it is being built by Irving Oil, for Irving Oil. There was little doubt the company would make sure it had high standards on finishing, even thoughI believe it falls flat as a part of our urban fabric.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Well it isn't done yet, so I think "ugliest" is premature. By premium I believe he means material choice and detailing, which is not surprising given that it is being built by Irving Oil, for Irving Oil. There was little doubt the company would make sure it had high standards on finishing, even thoughI believe it falls flat as a part of our urban fabric.
Yes that’s what I was referrring to is materials. I think too often developers go for the glass curtain attached to the floor plates - looks clean and modern but age IMO. That’s why I love the Blue Cross building in Moncton - a lot of thought went into it.
What kind of design/curtain would you envisage for area? I think the sandstone takes it queue nicely from the surrounding area, especially imperial theatre, Admiral Beatty, UNBSJ building, wedding cake building and government buildings on Prince William. To me it looks like B+H architects did their home work but I get other people will disagree. Very rare everybody would love a building design. The Chrysler building in NYC when built was derided by many as an eyesore.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Yes that’s what I was referrring to is materials. I think too often developers go for the glass curtain attached to the floor plates - looks clean and modern but age IMO. That’s why I love the Blue Cross building in Moncton - a lot of thought went into it.
What kind of design/curtain would you envisage for area? I think the sandstone takes it queue nicely from the surrounding area, especially imperial theatre, Admiral Beatty, UNBSJ building, wedding cake building and government buildings on Prince William. To me it looks like B+H architects did their home work but I get other people will disagree. Very rare everybody would love a building design. The Chrysler building in NYC when built was derided by many as an eyesore.
I think the design is very thoughtful and will age well, my issues are that on one hand I was personally hoping for something a bit more avant-garde, but I get that IOL would probably never do that, and secondly that the development as a whole has sacrificed the entire corner of Princess and Charlotte for surface parking behind a fence/wall, and that the parking garage structure between Leinster and King Street East is a huge waste of space in a critical transition area between the residential core of the eastern peninsula and the central business core. Add to the fact that the development has already displaced residential units and a small business on Sydney, and that the building has no retail or commercial street frontage, it ends up being a bit bland overall and will be a dead corner after 6:00 pm every day.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:17 AM

Quote:
the development has already displaced residential units and a small business on Sydney
What were they?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
What were they?
Nobody was displaced. Only thing torn down was a garage that belonged to the Parker House Inn. For parking garage it was an abandoned warehouse torn down. Irving purchased the buildings along Sydney from Leinster to court house but nobody was evicted.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 12:13 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

A new, approx 148-unit development proposal from John Rocca that will require a Municipal Plan amendment has appeared in next week's Council agenda (Item 10.2). It's off of Mountain View Drive and is being branded as Calabria Estates. The proposal is for a mix of townhouses and apartments, with the largest building being 6 storeys with around 100 units.

Part of the proposal is for a gated entrance at the western end of Lamezia Lane, something we haven't seen much of in SJ.

Building Type A is an... interesting design for sure:

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 7:29 PM

Notoriously terrible developer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
A new, approx 148-unit development proposal from John Rocca that will require a Municipal Plan amendment has appeared in next week's Council agenda (Item 10.2). It's off of Mountain View Drive and is being branded as Calabria Estates. The proposal is for a mix of townhouses and apartments, with the largest building being 6 storeys with around 100 units.

Part of the proposal is for a gated entrance at the western end of Lamezia Lane, something we haven't seen much of in SJ.

Building Type A is an... interesting design for sure:

Somehow scrapes enough money together for this 1990's-ish project, but leaves the prime lot next to Harbourfront Condo's vacant... overgrown with weeds and strewn with garbage. Absolutely pathetic!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post

By the look of the design priorities and frontage, this building is housing for cars, not people.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
By the look of the design priorities and frontage, this building is housing for cars, not people.
I agree but seems nowadays people are more interested in their car accessibility than aesthetics - be nice if parking could be in behind the house via an alley like Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 9:44 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

New four-unit infill development proposed for the corner of Charlotte and Queen Square South. Images below are from Wednesday's HDB agenda with staff recommending approval.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 12:58 PM

^^^ I used to rent pretty much right next to this lot a couple years ago.

It's definitely an area that needs some updating, it's a great location, and my dream is one day they'll get rid of the large garbage bag of salt that is currently ruining the view for everyone at the end of the peninsula

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
^^^ I used to rent pretty much right next to this lot a couple years ago.

It's definitely an area that needs some updating, it's a great location, and my dream is one day they'll get rid of the large garbage bag of salt that is currently ruining the view for everyone at the end of the peninsula
They need to find a supplier in Canada for the salt - hopefully be soon otherwise they will continue to ship in from Isle de Madeleine. It’s an eyesore along with AIM on other side of harbour

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 1:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
They need to find a supplier in Canada for the salt - hopefully be soon otherwise they will continue to ship in from Isle de Madeleine. It’s an eyesore along with AIM on other side of harbour
Ideally they will come to some type of accommodation allowing for salt production from the former potash mine in Sussex.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 11:00 AM

I posted a new image of the Irving HQ showing the nearly complete King’s Square entrance over on that forum - check it out
(Fair warning pic is large because I can’t figure how to resize)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 11:11 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

👀 👀 👀

East Point is applying for a Municipal Plan amendment to permit them to add a residential/mixed-use component to their development, as per documents included in Monday's Council Agenda (item 10.1). They seem to be talking in the ballpark of 200 units with at least some buildings including ground floor retail.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 4:41 AM

The idea of 'multiple levels above retail' suggests that if three buildings, totalling 200 units, are constructed it would make the three buildings at least eight-stories or higher! I would love to hear more and I hope we do soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces