HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:31 PM

Are those figures on the Roof a couple of Keith's Moes?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Are those figures on the Roof a couple of Keith's Moes?
If they are, they're big 'uns.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 10:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think of this as Halifax's Sagrada Familia. They could do tours and talk about the long-term vision for the building that only future generations will see.

In all seriousness though I wonder why it's worth it to take this long building something like this. With taxes and rent, isn't it worth spending a bit more to be done sooner?

I wonder when it is expected to be occupied? Based on past progress I would guess a year or two?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think of this as Halifax's Sagrada Familia. They could do tours and talk about the long-term vision for the building that only future generations will see.

In all seriousness though I wonder why it's worth it to take this long building something like this. With taxes and rent, isn't it worth spending a bit more to be done sooner?

I wonder when it is expected to be occupied? Based on past progress I would guess a year or two?
I read the daily reports and this one is the answer to the NFB/Attica issue :
http://www.courts.ns.ca/Decisions_Of...2019nssc36.pdf
Sometimes you just have to know where to look.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:19 PM

"I personally observed metal objects which are believed to have originated from the NFB construction site melted into the roofing material of 1566 Barrington, due to extreme summer heat." Odd that the membrane roof does not have a covering, my membrane roof has a greyish crusher dust type material on top of the black membrane that lessens the amount of heat absorbed.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:32 PM

Thanks for posting that link. I always find these things painful to read, but interesting.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Thanks for posting that link. I always find these things painful to read, but interesting.
Most of the court decisions are not interesting but some are quite humorous and some reflect our human frailty. Then there are international disputes which are heard in Nova Scotia because a foreign asset may be owned by an enterprise registered in Nova Scotia.
This case, a family dispute, was very interesting and has dragged on for several years by a man who went to Eton with former UK PM David Cameron : https://ca.vlex.com/vid/proost-v-fer...ties-681037889

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 3:41 PM

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:50 PM

Ha... the haters of the red siding building must be relieved that this is now partially obscuring the view of it...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:39 PM

Good Lord. Are the Moes still working on this building? This is becoming our own Sagrada Familia!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Good Lord. Are the Moes still working on this building? This is becoming our own Sagrada Familia!
Same developer just got approval to do the Tramway Building down the street. The AllNS article quotes him as saying he'll be moving the construction crew down to that building once the NFB building is done. They also peg the start for the Tramway in 2019. So I guess there's hope?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 7:14 PM

(Spoken very slowly)... Yep! We're gonna head on over there once we are done at NFB...

Image source

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 5:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 10:22 AM

Destined to forever be an eyesore it seems.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Destined to forever be an eyesore it seems.
Sometimes we just CANNOT save every OLD WORN OUT building. This place should have been torn down, or blown up years ago

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Sometimes we just CANNOT save every OLD WORN OUT building. This place should have been torn down, or blown up years ago
Precisely. I prayed for years that a rogue Cat D8 bulldozer would run amok there one night and put it out of its misery.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 2:50 AM

Quote:
It would be a fair statement if Halifax actually did try to save every old building, but it's just not the case. This is one of the rare ones where the facade is being saved despite the fact that the rest of the building burned down many years ago.

My only issue is with how slow this project has been. There have been several larger projects that have started and finished in the time that it has taken them to get to this point.

One thing to keep in mind is that the facade is in keeping with the Barrington Street heritage conservation area, and if you look at many of the other buildings along this strip, there has been some restoration work that has really improved the look of this street. It's becoming quite nice now IMHO.

We need to have some patience, hopefully this one will be done before the end of the decade... or maybe the next.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 11:30 AM

I'm in my low 70s and hope for another 20 years but I don't expect to see this one finished

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
I'm in my low 70s and hope for another 20 years but I don't expect to see this one finished
It feels that way to me too. Like by the time it's finished all those other buildings will be needing more restoration...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 12:17 PM

I was on a bus stopped across from the NFB. The plywood was out of some of the windows and it was really weird to see the floors cutting across the windows. I expect that visually it will work, but the mind is not yet used to the visual.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth