HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 11:18 PM

Lookin East into the West

March 6

210 Carpenter - 1201 W Lake - 172 N Ada

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 11:33 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Ok, I also don’t want to be flanked by two major pedestrian corridors that access a transit hub, and watch the neighborhood go from neighborhood to footraffic superhighway, with all the trash, noise and crime that brings.
Holy freaking dog-whistle, Batman. So not only are you a complete NIMBY, you're basically a classist/racist as well! Fantastic!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 11:57 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
I feel that most of Manhattan, at about 70,000 people per square mile, is overdense. But I really like Paris, Brooklyn and London at half that density, which is about twice Chicago's density. If Chicago quadruples our population to about 11 million people, please stop in again for a follow up discussion so we can re-asses.

Fun fact! Cicero, IL is the 7th density city over 75,000 people in the U.S.
Fun fact! Cicero has a land area of just under 6 square miles and a population of about 83,000 people. In other words, you need to find a better source for your "facts." (In case you can't do math, that's a density of about 14,000 people per square mile)

Along those lines, the actual City of Paris, the 41 square miles that most visitors see, is about 52,000 people per square mile, with the arrondissements most visited ranging from about 60,000 to 85,000 per square mile (the monument districts are obviously much less dense, so I've not included those). Source

London is famously difficult to assess population density for, because of the various ways you can set boundaries for it, but the parts most visitors are familiar with are generally thought to have a population density of about half that of Paris.

It's true that Manhattan's overall density averages out to about 73,000 people per square mile. But, Manhattan easily feels far more dense than that for several reasons. First, there are 75,000 hotel rooms in Manhattan. Hotel visitors are far more likely to be participating in public life, disproportionately adding to the perception of density. Second, Manhattan has two of the three largest Central Business Districts in North America (Downtown and Midtown) which dramatically increases the daytime population of the island, especially south of Central Park. On a weekday, the daytime population of Manhattan more than doubles, from 1.6 million to about 4 million. So the daytime density of the island is closer to 175,000 people per square mile. Finally, places like the Upper West Side and the Upper East Side are significantly above average in density, at 110,000 and 130,000 people per square mile, respectively.

Finally, the City of Chicago's overall density is actually below 12,000 people per square mile, which is about 1/3rd of Brooklyn's density of about 35,000 people per square mile. Areas like Logan Square, Bucktown, Logan Square, Avondale, Ukrainian Village, and even Lincoln Park, are around 20,000 people per square mile. Lakeview, Rogers Park, and Edgewater are in the 30-35,000 people per square mile density range, and the Near North Side is a bit over 50,000 ppsqm. Hyde Park, Kenwood, Bridgeport, Pilsen, Lincoln Square and similar places average between 15-19,000 ppsqm.

Certainly the most dense parts of Lakeview and Lincoln Park and other popular neighborhoods are higher - within 1/2 mile of the lakefront north of Division Street probably averages over 40,000 ppsqm all the way to Evanston.

So, basically, once you have a stronger grasp of the complexities of population density in various cities, and what you actually like, "please stop in again for a follow up discussion so we can re-assess."
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 12:01 AM

To our new forumer...

Did you not ever think that, just maybe, moving into a fairly new development (Central Station went up in the ‘90s) close to downtown and adjacent to an undeveloped sunken rail right of way might mean that maybe, at some point, there would be a lot of construction nearby?

If you buy a condo and there’s a parking lot across the street, your base case assumption should be that someday a building will go up there.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Holy freaking dog-whistle, Batman. So not only are you a complete NIMBY, you're basically a classist/racist as well! Fantastic!

Aaron (Glowrock)
What on earth are you on about? I’m racist because the CTA has crime?

I’m racist because I read the Tribune?

From the 2012 piece linked below...

“That Roosevelt stop, which serves the Green and Orange lines on the elevated tracks and the Red Line below, was the No. 1 station for rail crime between 2009 and June 13 of this year, according to the analysis.”

That station is the closest hub to my home. A 10 minute walk. So don’t try to tell me that some of the crime there won’t shift a bit east, especially if the people using the new hub are upscale condo owners.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...625-story.html

I find it hilarious that you’re calling me racist just for mentioning the word crime. That says infinitely more about who YOU perceive criminals to be than me.

Last edited by mcdj; Mar 15, 2019 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Fun fact! Cicero has a land area of just under 6 square miles and a population of about 83,000 people. In other words, you need to find a better source for your "facts." (In case you can't do math, that's a density of about 14,000 people per square mile)
If you're going to correct someone, you should do it in a way that doesn't make you cringe later when you realize your correction was wrong.

The seven densest cities in the U.S. with populations over 75,000 are:
NYC: 27K/square mile
Somerville, MA 18K
Paterson, NJ 18K
San Francisco 17K
Cambridge 16K
Jersey City 16K
Cicero 14K

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 1:06 AM

Alta Grand Central

March 6

March 10

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:23 AM

Quote:
What on earth are you on about? I’m racist because the CTA has crime?

was the No. 1 station for rail crime
Sooo... that just means that station had more crime than other stations. The article doesn't cite specific figures, so it's not possible to deduce that there is a lot of crime associated with it.

It's classist to assume that public transit=poor people=criminals, and I think glowrock is accusing you of making such an assumption.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:20 AM

My favorite thing is when people live somewhere with open, non public land nearby (I.e parking lots, vacant , etc) and then thinks it'll be like that always. Or the idea that public transit automatically brings crime.

Go back to Iowa or wherever you came from. It's okay to want the best for an area in every way, but it's not okay when it's based off of misconceptions. If you live in a city like Chicago with one of the fastest growing downtowns in the country, I have not much sympathy for anybody not wanting things like parking lots to develop. Thinking it's going to become like Manhattan not only shows you don't know anything about Manhattan (especially as it relates to how it is vs. Downtown Chicago) but probably not much about development and density either. Downtown Chicago is never going to become Manhattan, and that's a good thing.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
Sooo... that just means that station had more crime than other stations. The article doesn't cite specific figures, so it's not possible to deduce that there is a lot of crime associated with it.

It's classist to assume that public transit=poor people=criminals, and I think glowrock is accusing you of making such an assumption.
The guy is one "thug" from basically using every classic NIMBY dog whistle in the book. Dude seems to have forgotten the fact that Chicago(unlike fringe neighborhoods and suburbs) is in a constant state of change. There's an impressive level of arrogance in moving somewhere because of how it "feels" in its current state and not being willing to accept change... change I might add that is no different than the change that people like him brought to the South Loop over the last 25 years as it has exploded.

The guy lacks introspection and should go on everyone's ignorelist ASAP so we can discuss more salient topics.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post

I think glowrock has no clue who I am or what my race is or what my background is, and I think calling me racist for not wanting to live next to a transit hub, and not wanting the associated issues is foolish.

I lived in NYC for 30 years. I rode the trains regularly. I equated NYC transit not with crime or poverty. I equated it with getting around town. Ok, and crowds.

Chicago transit is a very different animal. There’s more transit crime. Period. Dot. There’s more every kind of crime for that matter.

Correct, we can not deduce the exact volume of crime at Roosevelt because the CTA doesn’t want us to know those stats. Gee, I wonder why? But I did read 400 reported robberies at that station from 2009-2011. Even half of that, if crime has magically come down 50% since then, is too much, too close to my home, for me to feel hunky dory about a hub outside my door.

Never mind though, I’ll play along with the mental gymnastics seemingly required here to assume that the proposed hub will be squeaky clean! Yay for more shiny condos for the 1%!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 11:55 AM

Connection II - 1611 W Division

March 10

Ready for the next phase

IIRC the plan is for this entire lot to be filled with townhomes and lowrises.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 12:30 PM
The City

Quote:
I think glowrock has no clue who I am or what my race is or what my background is, and I think calling me racist for not wanting to live next to a transit hub, and not wanting the associated issues is foolish.

I lived in NYC for 30 years. I rode the trains regularly. I equated NYC transit not with crime or poverty. I equated it with getting around town. Ok, and crowds.

Chicago transit is a very different animal. There’s more transit crime. Period. Dot. There’s more every kind of crime for that matter.

Correct, we can not deduce the exact volume of crime at Roosevelt because the CTA doesn’t want us to know those stats. Gee, I wonder why? But I did read 400 reported robberies at that station from 2009-2011. Even half of that, if crime has magically come down 50% since then, is too much, too close to my home, for me to feel hunky dory about a hub outside my door.

Never mind though, I’ll play along with the mental gymnastics seemingly required here to assume that the proposed hub will be squeaky clean! Yay for more shiny condos for the 1%!
We certainly won’t fix this issue by not investing in transit or building near it.

You’ve got a really awkward logic about all of this

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It has never been sufficiently explained to me how trying to choke off the housing production pipeline could ever benefit anybody but the wealthy.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My favorite thing is when people live somewhere with open, non public land nearby (I.e parking lots, vacant , etc) and then thinks it'll be like that always. Or the idea that public transit automatically brings crime.

Go back to Iowa or wherever you came from. It's okay to want the best for an area in every way, but it's not okay when it's based off of misconceptions. If you live in a city like Chicago with one of the fastest growing downtowns in the country, I have not much sympathy for anybody not wanting things like parking lots to develop. Thinking it's going to become like Manhattan not only shows you don't know anything about Manhattan (especially as it relates to how it is vs. Downtown Chicago) but probably not much about development and density either. Downtown Chicago is never going to become Manhattan, and that's a good thing.
I agree with all you said...but at the end of the day...What is wrong with being similar to manhattan?...im all for Chicago's personal identity as a city but in my mind from a urbanist perspective turning into an environment similar to Manhattan is not terrible ...you have a hustling busting skyscraper packed area with pockets of beautiful parks, there is an energy 24/7 almost.. Isn't that what we all want for the greater downtown Chicago area?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:04 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
I agree with all you said...but at the end of the day...What is wrong with being similar to manhattan?...im all for Chicago's personal identity as a city but in my mind from a urbanist perspective turning into an environment similar to Manhattan is not terrible ...you have a hustling busting skyscraper packed area with pockets of beautiful parks, there is an energy 24/7 almost.. Isn't that what we all want for the greater downtown Chicago area?
I agree. I don't understand the "Manhattan is bad" theme that gets peddled.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:12 PM

My point about Manhattan has to do with uniqueness. At the end of the day, you want your place to be unique. There's pluses and minuses about Manhattan and my point didn't have to do with those specifically. Though if you want me to go into how having alleyways is a good thing, then yes. Anyway, I was going more about being unique.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:19 PM
The City

^ I don't see any loss of uniqueness while still growing denser.

I certainly don't find the low density townhomes in the South Loop or Dearborn Park 2 "unique" in any sort of positive way.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I don't see any loss of uniqueness while still growing denser.

I certainly don't find the low density townhomes in the South Loop or Dearborn Park 2 "unique" in any sort of positive way.
I don't either, and I think that saying things are becoming denser and evoking Manhattan is a bit misinformed to the poster who did that. I think most of us know that though.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:34 PM

It is worth noting that there are actually parts of Manhattan where there is almost "too much" density. That's not because density is bad or scary or causes crime, it's because there are certain areas where there is simply so much density above the ground floor that the ground floor rents have gotten so high that practical services and amenities that make living in a big city so appealing can't even afford to locate there. That's great if you are worth billions and have maids and servants to go run all those errands for you while you shop at ultra high end boutiques, but kinda sucks the real world life out of an area for average people. Other than a few pockets of the island like that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Manhattan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations