HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:54 PM

Department stores used to work just fine downtown. They can again. The problem was the out migration from urban core in the 50s and 60s (...and 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s... in Halifax, at least, but the department stores were largely already gone by the 70s and 80s), and increasing private automobile ownership and private automobile oriented infrastructure.

There seems to be a renewed effort to bring people downtown again, so the viability of larger stores will increase along with the population density.

Last edited by Phalanx; Oct 19, 2018 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:17 PM
life in the present

Halifax has nowhere near the critical-mass to support a department store downtown. Even here in Vancouver, with 100,000 people living on the downtown peninsula, the main Hudson's Bay store struggles to get people to the upper-floors. That said, boutique retail seems to be thriving in downtown Halifax especially along SGR! Great to see more urban-oriented chains like Urban Outfitters, Oasis and Lululemon doing well, should lead the way to more like Muji.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Department stores used to work just fine downtown. They can again. The problem was the out migration from urban core in the 50s and 60s (...and 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s... in Halifax, at least, but the department stores were largely already gone by the 70s and 80s), and increasing private automobile ownership and private automobile oriented infrastructure.

There seems to be a renewed effort to bring people downtown again, so the viability of larger stores will increase along with the population density.
There is a renewed effort to get people to LIVE downtown. That will not be enough to support a department store, however. Boutiques, perhaps.

In reality, HRM is doing everything it can to keep people in vehicles out of the downtown. Therefore it is not a good environment for large-scale retail.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Halifax has nowhere near the critical-mass to support a department store downtown. Even here in Vancouver, with 100,000 people living on the downtown peninsula, the main Hudson's Bay store struggles to get people to the upper-floors. That said, boutique retail seems to be thriving in downtown Halifax especially along SGR! Great to see more urban-oriented chains like Urban Outfitters, Oasis and Lululemon doing well, should lead the way to more like Muji.
I'm not sure this is the right way to look at it. Vancouver also has Nordstrom and Holt which are quite expensive and seem pretty successful. The Bay just isn't very appealing, particularly to younger people it seems.

I'm not sure why you'd want to reconstruct a 1950's style department store in downtown Halifax in 2018 but I think comparable retail options are going to be available. Some of that will consist of ordering stuff online or looking at showrooms then getting things delivered. Nobody actually wants to haul a couch or a vacuum cleaner home.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 8:22 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm not sure this is the right way to look at it. Vancouver also has Nordstrom and Holt which are quite expensive and seem pretty successful. The Bay just isn't very appealing, particularly to younger people it seems.

I'm not sure why you'd want to reconstruct a 1950's style department store in downtown Halifax in 2018 but I think comparable retail options are going to be available. Some of that will consist of ordering stuff online or looking at showrooms then getting things delivered. Nobody actually wants to haul a couch or a vacuum cleaner home.
Good point but I consider Hudson's Bay a traditional full-line department store while Holt's and Nordstrom are more luxury / fashion-cosmetics.

Point being, a full-line department store would never work in DT Halifax and the previous posts were referring to perhaps Hudson's Bay relocating DT, that said, at some point perhaps something along the lines of Simons, say on SGR could perhaps work but I still think DT Halifax needs far more population to even make large-format chains like H&M or Zara work.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 10:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm not sure a full-line department store works anywhere. That's why they're shutting down. Even if 100,000 people moved into downtown Halifax tomorrow I don't think a Bay would open up because they would be outcompeted by other retailers and they are probably in a slow death spiral.

There are also downtown Bay locations in Regina and Winnipeg that arguably exist for historical reasons. I don't think they would be reconstructed in 2018, nor would the Vancouver location, which is on hugely valuable land.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:00 PM

Looks like Five Guys will be opening up at the Nova Centre!

•Kent Building Supplies has started construction on a new store in Lower Sackville. The new store will be on the same property as the current one at the corner of Sackville Drive and Beaver Bank Road. Once the new structure is completed, the old store will be removed. The entrance and exit to the parking lot will also be reconfigured.
•I found out this week that Five Guys Burgers and Fries will be locating in the Nova Centre on Argyle Street. The restaurant is expected to open by late spring.
•This week Rogers will also opened a store in the Nova Centre in the aptly named Rogers Square (formerly Grafton Street).
•I hear Quebec-based department store Simons, which was rumoured to be considering taking over a part of the former Sears location in the Halifax Shopping Centre, has decided not to come to Halifax at this time.
•Another taco joint is coming to North End Halifax. My understanding is that the owner is from Mexico City and will be opening Taco Loco at 3244 Isleville St. early next year.
•Photography store Henry’s is closing their Dartmouth Crossing store at the end of January. The chain will consolidate its operations in its Halifax store in Bayers Lake.
•Thai Express opened its newest location this week, this time in Dartmouth Crossing between DQ and Starbucks. Thai Express, which had been exclusively found locally in mall food courts, also opened a freestanding store in Lower Sackville earlier this year.

Source: Chronicle Herald

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Canadian arm of Miniso has filed for bankruptcy. They have two locations in HRM (including a store at HSC which opened only the other week).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Canadian arm of Miniso has filed for bankruptcy. They have two locations in HRM (including a store at HSC which opened only the other week).
Don't believe Chinese propaganda. They are pissed Canada has a legal system separate from politics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brg10R6h...ns_share_sheet

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good to know. I was shocked when I came across the breaking news on Retail Insider the other day. Miniso has (had) aggressive expansion plans for Canada with perhaps 500 stores. I wonder how their current travails might affect this........

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:49 AM

Squish Candies coming to Halifax

https://halifax.retales.ca/2019/01/squish/

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 5:10 AM

Turkish Retailer ‘Penti’ Expands into North America with 1st Store in Halifax
March 19, 2019

PHOTO: PENTI CANADA VIA FACEBOOK

By Craig Patterson

Turkish women’s fashion retailer Penti has launched its North American expansion with a store in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The retailer will test the market before expanding furthermore, with an expectation that as many as 10 stores could open across Canada over the next two years.

Penti refers to itself has a “Turkish-European franchise”, with more than 600 stores in Turkey, Europe, and the Middle East. Product categories carried in Penti stores include: women’s intimates, hosiery/legwear, socks (for both women and men), activewear, beachwear and some homeware items, according to its website.

The brand was started in 1950 as two companies, which were subsequently united under a single brand, Öğretmen Çorap, in 1970. In 1984 the company’s name was changed to Penti. The first Penti store opened in Istanbul in 1999. Penti partnered with one of the world’s largest venture capital organizations, The Carlyle Group, in 2016.

Globally, Penti has about 300 stores across Turkey, as well as more than 100 stores in 29 countries, and further exports to 43 countries. The company is expanding its network of stores rapidly, with sales offices located in the United Kingdom, Romania, Ukraine and Spain.

The Halifax store will be used as something of a test for the brand before it expands further across the continent. Plans are preliminary, but a representative indicated that between five and 10 stores could open in Canada over the next two years, targeting markets as far westward as Vancouver.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...ore-in-halifax

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Good to know. I was shocked when I came across the breaking news on Retail Insider the other day. Miniso has (had) aggressive expansion plans for Canada with perhaps 500 stores. I wonder how their current travails might affect this........
Follow Up
MiniSo China has taken ownership of Canadian stores

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:09 PM

Skechers is opening their first store in the Maritimes in Halifax Shopping Centre.

Under Armour and Columbia are opening in Dartmouth Crossing. Both are likely factory/outlet stores.

Mountain Warehouse is opening soon, probably an outlet in Dartmouth Crossing.
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ca/

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:52 PM

FIVE GUYS Burgers and Fries will be opening on Argyle St.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-customer-ser...-26/1448613647

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
FIVE GUYS Burgers and Fries will be opening on Argyle St.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-customer-ser...-26/1448613647
The Five Guys opening has been set back a couple of times (from May and “the beginning of July”) due, according to their Facebook page, to “a few unforeseen delays”. But they are now promising mid-August. There is still nothing concrete, so far as I know, on an expected Dartmouth Crossing opening.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 11:07 AM

And in the most-anticipated development news of the week, Five Guys has announced the doors will open at their Argyle Street location this Friday. You may want to limit your calorie intake until then...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:50 PM

Any info on where they are opening on Argyle? Was down there a couple of weeks ago but didn't notice a potential location (wasn't looking for one either...).

In other news, I did notice that a new cafe/restaurant was nearing completion in the old section of The Dillon at Sackville and Market. It looks nice.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Any info on where they are opening on Argyle? Was down there a couple of weeks ago but didn't notice a potential location (wasn't looking for one either...).
They're opening in the convention centre. Just to the left of the main entrance. I was down there on the weekend and the sign was up and patio furniture was stacked outside. Moxies will be opening next door, but their patio appears to be on the Rogers Square/Grafton side.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
They're opening in the convention centre. Just to the left of the main entrance. I was down there on the weekend and the sign was up and patio furniture was stacked outside. Moxies will be opening next door, but their patio appears to be on the Rogers Square/Grafton side.
Cool... thanks! Will have to check them out next time I'm down there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General