HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 10:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pics by me. Taken today.

unnamed by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

unnamed by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:10 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.6sqft.com/see-the-800-fo...-north-jersey/

See the 800-foot indoor ski slope, water park, and observation wheel coming to North Jersey

AUGUST 23, 2018
BY DANA SCHULZ

Quote:
Earlier this week, we got a sneak peek at the massive food hall coming to the American Dream mega-mall next to Met Life Stadium. The $3 billion, 4.5 million-square-foot shopping mall, which has been 16 years in the making, will also boast the largest indoor ski slope in the western hemisphere, an NHL-sized ice rink, a 4-D movie theater, a LEGOLAND, an eight-acre Nickelodeon water park and theme park, and an Observation Wheel with 26 climate-controlled gondolas overlooking the NYC skyline from a height “nearly as tall as the Statue of Liberty.” And we’ve now got a first look at what these other over-the-top amusements will look like.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:03 AM

These renderings sure don't instill a lot of confidence in this project. They look like something you put together to generate early buzz before you've lined up investors or even hired an architect, not the renderings of a project that should be finished in less than a year.

And that rendering of the indoor water park has a caption on it saying it's for their other pie-in-the-sky mall idea in Miami, not the Meadowlands.

Oh, and it's also just a photo of the water park at the West Edmonton Mall with the color of the slides taken out and a palm tree pasted onto it. Cheap photoshop tricks, not a design.

West Edmonton Mall waterpark:

Why anyone thinks this is a legitimate project is beyond me. If any part of it ever opens, it'll surely struggle financially, seek a government bailout, and ultimately fail, like most everything else in the Meadowlands.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNBKLYN View Post
Why anyone thinks this is a legitimate project is beyond me. If any part of it ever opens, it'll surely struggle financially, seek a government bailout, and ultimately fail, like most everything else in the Meadowlands.
It's legit. But you probably won't be sold until it opens. Understandable given the delays, but that's all in the past.

https://www.northjersey.com/picture-...on/1074635002/

https://patch.com/new-jersey/ridgewo...s-opening-date

American Dream Meadowlands Sets Opening Date
The $3 billion entertainment and retail destination is expected to draw between 30 and 40 million visitors in its first year.

By Daniel Hubbard
Aug 17, 2018

Quote:
The mall will be 55 percent entertainment space and 45 percent retail.

Nickelodeon Universe theme park and water park will be indoors. The theme park will span 8.5 acres and feature attractions and rides based on Nickelodeon characters. It will have two record-setting rollercoasters — the Spinning Coaster, the tallest and longest free-spinning coaster in the world, and the Euro-Fighter. It is expected to be the largest indoor theme park in the western hemisphere when it is complete.

When asked about if and how sports gambling works into Triple Five's plan for American Dream, the spokesperson said that "a comprehensive master plan is very much a part of the strategic future success of the site itself and also for smart regional growth of the broader area."

There will be a huge LEGOLAND Discovery Center with a 4-D cinema, LEGO brick pool, rides, and classes for kids will be there. There will also be the first Sea Life aquarium in New Jersey. It will feature a tropical ocean tank with a walk-through underwater tunnel. An indoor waterpark and an amusement park are also being built.

The largest indoor ski slope in the western hemisphere will allow customers to take ski and snowboarding lessons all year. There will also be an ice-climbing wall and an an NHL-size hockey rink.
Quote:
American Dream was originally slated to open in 2017. Then last summer Triple Five pushed back the completion date because it had difficulty securing the $1.1 billion in financing. It worked with Goldman Sachs and J.P. Morgan to secure $1.6 billion in financing earlier this year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Why anyone thinks this is a legitimate project is beyond me.
Um, the project is almost completed. They've poured over $4 billion into it, and it's wrapping up.

I would bet good money that this will be a financial success. It's a 15 minute direct train ride from Penn, at the confluence of the two most important highways in the Northeast, 5 minutes from a major international airport, fantastic demographics, they've basically signed every luxury store chain on earth and are completing essentially the world's largest indoor amusement park.

And your logic for skepticism is based on your dislike of a website rendering. Bizarre.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Um, the project is almost completed. They've poured over $4 billion into it, and it's wrapping up.

I would bet good money that this will be a financial success. It's a 15 minute direct train ride from Penn, at the confluence of the two most important highways in the Northeast, 5 minutes from a major international airport, fantastic demographics, they've basically signed every luxury store chain on earth and are completing essentially the world's largest indoor amusement park.

And your logic for skepticism is based on your dislike of a website rendering. Bizarre.
There are no direct trains from Penn Station, you have to transfer at Secaucus. And the Meadowlands rail station isn't in walking distance to the mall anyway - they plan to run a shuttle bus to the station. So, only a three-seat ride to Manhattan!

And of that $4 billion "they" have poured into it, about $1.15 billion is in the form of tax exempt government bonds provided by the state of New Jersey.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...oms/395607001/

I'm fully aware it's under construction. I still doubt it will ever fully open or if it does, it won't last long or will require even more government subsidies.

Last edited by KVNBKLYN; Aug 25, 2018 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 2:42 PM

Wow, file this project under "things that would never happen if money wasn't literally free for a decade"...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
There are no direct trains from Penn Station, you have to transfer at Secaucus. And the Meadowlands rail station isn't in walking distance to the mall anyway - they plan to run a shuttle bus to the station. So, only a three-seat ride to Manhattan!

And of that $4 billion "they" have poured into it, about $1.15 billion is in the form of tax exempt government bonds provided by the state of New Jersey.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...oms/395607001/

I'm fully aware it's under construction. I still doubt it will ever fully open or if it does, it won't last long or will require even more government subsidies.
The last part isnt true at all. There is a direct walkway between the train station and the mall.

https://goo.gl/maps/juDSRrs2SuQ2

Also, most people will probably get there with a one-seat right on a bus from PANY

There is a lot of demand for recreation available from NYC.

Look at the prices the various indoor waterparks in PA are charging.

https://www.kalahariresorts.com/pennsylvania

The only room available on September 8 (after school starts ) is $849 for one night.

And they just completed a massive expansion.

And you need a car to get there.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 8:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pics by me. Taken this morning.

Xanadu 1 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Xanadu 2 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 10:11 PM
Walk taker

That '30 to 40 million visitors' number that shows up every now and again is absolute garbage.

Completely ignoring the fact that the figure varies by a factor of 25%, consider that the most visited theme park in the US, Disney's Magic Kingdom in Florida, had an annual attendance total in 2017 of 20.5 million. Do they really see themselves debuting at twice the yearly visitor count of Disney?

The closest mall of analogous size - the King of Prussia mall in Pennsylvania (which happens to be the largest mall in the US) - receives 22 million visitors annually.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 4:23 PM

So when is it actually suppose to be completed?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:20 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Drove by this via turnpike this morning (Friday). Lots of activity and tons of work was occurring via workers on articulated boom lifts. Will be nice when this opens. It'll alleviate some of that traffic as a result of some roads being sealed near it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
So when is it actually suppose to be completed?
I've heard late Q1 2019.

Much of the work I'd imagine is in the interior. The site is buzzin, and hasn't changed exterior wise much in the last month from my observations.

Hopefully it'll meet a time table of Q1 2019.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:58 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...te/2598509002/

See inside American Dream: Progress continues as opening date approaches

Jan. 28, 2019

Quote:
American Dream, the entertainment and shopping extravaganza that North Jersey has anticipated for close to 17 years, is finally taking shape ahead of its projected spring opening.

Over the past months, as the pace of construction has moved faster, companies, including officials of American Dream,have turned to social media to share glimpses of their progress. Companies have also given updates of their own for industry insiders eager to keep up. Workers inside the construction site, too, have shared rare glimpses of the site on their social media pages.

Photos on Instagram, geo-tagged to American Dream’s location, showcase what appear to be the skeleton of a multi-level mall and videos of roller coasters twisting through the otherwise-empty complex. Other images show construction workers in hard hats walking through what appears to be the underbelly of some of the project's attractions, and sitting on ski lifts. The photos begin to piece together what the massive mall and its many features will soon look like.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsp-PS9gbVx/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 6:28 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

16 Years Later, American Dream Mall Teases Opening Date

Quote:
Three developers and $5 billion later, American Dream Mall is prepping to open its doors.

The massive 3.1 million square foot shopping and entertainment complex in East Rutherford is finally nearing completion. In an interview with Commercial Observer, Dimitri Lalagos, the senior vice president for leasing at American Dream claims the project will open this April.

First conceived as Xanadu in 2003, the project stalled during the financial crisis after financing dried up following the Lehman Brothers collapse. Now, 16 years and three developers later, the long-time eyesore along the New Jersey Turnpike is hoping to turn its fate around.

It is facing some headwinds, though, as a lot has changed since the project was first conceptualized. In an era of failing malls and declining brick and mortar retail, whether or not such an ambitious project can succeed is yet to be seen.

It will certainly be interesting to watch how it does. With entertainment partners that include a “Dreamworks-branded indoor waterpark, a Cirque du Soleil venue and a National Hockey League-sized ice rink”. A Munchies food hall by Vice Media is also planned.

Fulop believes the April opening date is just another stunt.

“We’ve been told this story a gazillion times, I gloss over these dates on when they’re projected to open,” Fulop told Commercial Observer.

April or not, work continues on the project which means we’re getting closer to an actual opening.
=============
Jersey Digs

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 12:08 AM

I cant wait to shop at Dier! lol. Besides the cheesy renderings I'm super curious to see how this turns out.
I thought America was kinda finished with the idea of large mega malls. Only still popular in Dubai where you never ever go outside unless you're in a car or at the beach.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 10:16 AM

I will say the mall I am not a HUGE fan of, but the experience centers, the waterpark and amusement park I am a HUGE fan of. Because I think the NY area lacks any large water park, especially indoors, so that will be a huge attraction in the winter. The area needs more family centric things to do, so I think it will be a hit. Also I can tell you why this will work! Try to catch the buses from Port Authority to New Jersey, and it is always flooded with people going to malls in Jersey, lots of foreigners looking for cheap stuff. So this will be like that on steroids! It will be a huge draw, especially on game day. I generally despise malls and the philosophy of them. But one big mall in the NY area, I think is good.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 1:01 PM
Ex Houstonian

This whole project is pretty obnoxious, is it 1980 or is NJ trying to be Dubai? How many hundreds of acres will surface parking lots be taking up?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
This whole project is pretty obnoxious, is it 1980 or is NJ trying to be Dubai? How many hundreds of acres will surface parking lots be taking up?
This is pretty much useless marsh anyway, not even attractive from an environmental perspective.. I think any discussion of land consumption for surface parking lots is missing any point. If this was in downtown newark, I would agree

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development