HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 11:19 PM
Skyriser

I noticed they had a hell of a lot of open ground floor commercial space in the garage. I wonder what they intend to put there.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:04 PM

I hope they keep that space as well. I think it was going to be marketed as "flex" meaning it could be retail or office uses. With the other office building going up across the street that also has retail I think there is a chance to create a cool one block hub with the Yard and the Lodge already there...I hope Tempe develop's other buzz worthy streets besides Mill downtown.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I hope they keep that space as well. I think it was going to be marketed as "flex" meaning it could be retail or office uses. With the other office building going up across the street that also has retail I think there is a chance to create a cool one block hub with the Yard and the Lodge already there...I hope Tempe develop's other buzz worthy streets besides Mill downtown.
The across the street office proposal at 206 S. Farmer is starting the entitlement process presenting to the DRC in a study session next month.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=74359

There are a nice spate of proposals now on Farmer, and it would be a cool stretch if (always a big if) they all get built. The apartments at Farmer/University (that have been in review for a building permit for a while), the existing senior apartments (which have some of the best sidewalks and walking paths around), the proposed townhomes across the street, these two offices, the Yard, the Lodge, etc. Add something on the dirt lot south of 5th st. and the horder lot north of 1st st. and we've really got something.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:33 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
I could see a small format Target working with the whole foods on University. Spaces that big are rare downtown and should be maxed out with "anchor" tenants.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 2:53 PM

The City owns that lot across the street from the Beam north of the "senior" apartments (by the way I see a lot of non-seniors live there) and I wonder when they plan to RFQ that lot? Maybe take advantage of the economic cycle? I assume more apartments 5/6 stories and finish the trail?

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:44 PM

What I'm eager to see, is a proposal to redevelop the parking lot with the Green Education Building at the NE corner of Ash & 5th Ave. So much surface lot space prime for either commercial or residential development. I remember seeing a proposal awhile back from Davis Architects for a highrise mixed use project but may never come to fruition in this cycle. At that point DT tempe will truly start to fill in.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 9:19 PM

Old Renderings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
What I'm eager to see, is a proposal to redevelop the parking lot with the Green Education Building at the NE corner of Ash & 5th Ave. So much surface lot space prime for either commercial or residential development. I remember seeing a proposal awhile back from Davis Architects for a highrise mixed use project but may never come to fruition in this cycle. At that point DT tempe will truly start to fill in.
These were the renderings back in 2016

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 4:51 PM

Article on 'The Beam', focusing on the cross-laminated timber construction materials.

https://azbigmedia.com/mortenson-bri...ment-to-tempe/

Gives 4th Quarter 2020 as expected completion date, but no info on tenants, on which I assume the expected completion date depends.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:43 PM

Did we know about this one:

http://ktar.com/story/2594131/eco-fr...tempe-in-2020/

First building in AZ made this way...interesting...

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 2:04 PM

Some information about the lawsuit between the AG and Crow/ BoR....

So I guess the issue is that corner of Mill and University was privately owned land in the past. Tower Records use to be there, TOPS liquor...eventually Chili's. ASU purchased the land and although ASU had some "university uses" the AG's complaint is that this use to be private property paying property taxes and now the majority of the site will have private uses while not paying property taxes. So when I was reminded of the history I could see that argument. Supposedly there is no concern with the Novus District because that was land that was gifted to the University by the State as opposed to land that ASU bought.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 5:31 PM

Good Stuff: http://azbex.com/rfp-issued-for-new-...-sports-arena/

Quote:
rizona State University recently issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) for a company to enter into a long-term ground lease for the new Multi-Purpose Arena planned on 10 acres of the Novus Innovation Corridor in Tempe.

The 5,000 seat multi-purpose arena will be located directly northeast of and will attach to the Wells Fargo Arena, where a major renovation project is also planned. It will be an integrated indoor sports complex, housing the Sun Devil Ice Hockey team, gymnastics and other sports. At build-out, the approximately 175KSF facility will also contain a total of seven locker rooms and six auxiliary locker rooms as well as merchandise and concession amenities.

According to the RFP the qualified firm will “participate in the funding of all or a substantial portion of the costs and expenses to develop and construct the New Arena and to participate in the creation of a Sports and Entertainment Zone.”

An online pre-proposal conference will be held at 11:30 a.m. on June 11 through Zoom. In order to participate, firms must register via email by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 7.

The due date for all proposals is set for 3:00 p.m. on July 17.

According to an Arizona Republic article dated November 7, 2018, Groundbreaking for both the Wells Fargo Arena Renovation and the multi-purpose arena project could be in the third quarter of 2019.

ASU requests a project opening for the arena for the 2022-2023 hockey season. According to the RFP, “The University is open to all creative solutions for the development and construction of the New Arena, as well as, the operation of the New Arena following completion.”

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yeah, between the (soon to be) three stadiums right there, and the build out of the office, hotel and multi-family across the street in the Novus area that is under construction, that area is going to be unrecognizable in 5 years. It also feels like that stretch of 5th St./Veterans Way is a logical release valve for DT Tempe that will connect it to Novus. Hopefully that stretch further developing will allow the retail to survive that has struggled in University House, the transportation center and the parking garage by the Residence Inn.

Quote:
Some information about the lawsuit between the AG and Crow/ BoR....

So I guess the issue is that corner of Mill and University was privately owned land in the past. Tower Records use to be there, TOPS liquor...eventually Chili's. ASU purchased the land and although ASU had some "university uses" the AG's complaint is that this use to be private property paying property taxes and now the majority of the site will have private uses while not paying property taxes. So when I was reminded of the history I could see that argument. Supposedly there is no concern with the Novus District because that was land that was gifted to the University by the State as opposed to land that ASU bought.
Yeah, all that plus I believe that Novus is specifically authorized by statute, whereas the Opus project is in more of a legal gray area. I was always somewhat uncomfortable with the big tax giveaway involved in the Opus project, so if the AG is successful I won't be too disappointed. I just hope it doesn't embolden Brnovich to go after other projects.

Also to note, on my way in today went by the Pier and it had the most activity I think I've seen there--at least 2 dozen people working. And it's starting to poke above ground level. Hopefully it's move in ready by 2030

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Anybody else remember Cookies from Home on Mill? Lol
They are still around, on University west of Priest:

https://www.cookiesfromhome.com/

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUPope View Post
They are still around, on University west of Priest:

https://www.cookiesfromhome.com/
Never liked these. They are like concrete. I prefer soft cookies with a doughy center.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Also to note, on my way in today went by the Pier and it had the most activity I think I've seen there--at least 2 dozen people working. And it's starting to poke above ground level. Hopefully it's move in ready by 2030
If by 2030 the whole pier/southbank development isn't fully built out I will be shocked. With the new office tower proposed to start construction later this year, I'm certain a flurry of activity is to follow. Especially after Tempe issued an RFQ/RFP for the remaining sites about a month ago. As Tempe starts to gain national attention following strong gains/performance in office space vacancy and achieved rental rates, I would not be surprised if a national company relocates their headquarters to either Novus or the Southbank district. I believe there to be 2,000,000+ SQ Ft of rental space at full buildout, similar to the size of State Farm.

All we need now is there to be some give in the FAA flight path height allowance along the lake. I can't imagine that 300' remains to be the ceiling of what we see built there over the next decade.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 10:46 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
All we need now is there to be some give in the FAA flight path height allowance along the lake. I can't imagine that 300' remains to be the ceiling of what we see built there over the next decade.
I do not foresee any increase in the FAA height limits considering the area is directly underneath inbound flights.

Edit: What is the height limit around the Pier development anyway? I thought it was more around 350'ish?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I do not foresee any increase in the FAA height limits considering the area is directly underneath inbound flights.

Edit: What is the height limit around the Pier development anyway? I thought it was more around 350'ish?
General rule for Tempe is - you can't be taller than the Butte - which is around 350ft. Would seem to me that further east of there you could get taller - but I guess its still on approach to PHX, so...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
General rule for Tempe is - you can't be taller than the Butte - which is around 350ft. Would seem to me that further east of there you could get taller - but I guess its still on approach to PHX, so...
Speaking of that...I was driving down the 202 this morning and noticed a green fence at the top of the butte and saw that the small tower with lights on top has been removed.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asugrad View Post
Speaking of that...I was driving down the 202 this morning and noticed a green fence at the top of the butte and saw that the small tower with lights on top has been removed.
That was supposed to be moved years ago to the top of one of the W6 buildings. I thought I recall talk of an observation deck to take its place which would be an awesome view. But maybe I'm just recalling a pipe dream.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asugrad View Post
Dating back to May 2011

Quote:
The appearance of the butte will change later this year when Tempe plans to remove its communication towers and relocate them.

Tempe also plans to build a 200-square-foot observation deck at the butte's top and repair steps leading to the summit. Those projects aren't yet funded. (Associated Press)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest