HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Not sure what Macy's y'all visit that's a gleaming monument to shopping glory.

This Macy's is just fine.
I understand that many here seem to be the type that frequent Bloomingdales or NM, but for most people Macy's is a decent department story (not exactly Marshall's or TJ Maxx) and the stores I've been in placed in above average quality malls are definitely nicer inside than the CC location. The physical plant is in bad shape- all you have to do is look up towards the ceilings or down at the flooring- or in the elevators which appear to be about 20 years overdue for an overhaul. It really needs some renovations.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I understand that many here seem to be the type that frequent Bloomingdales or NM, but for most people Macy's is a decent department story (not exactly Marshall's or TJ Maxx) and the stores I've been in placed in above average quality malls are definitely nicer inside than the CC location. The physical plant is in bad shape- all you have to do is look up towards the ceilings or down at the flooring- or in the elevators which appear to be about 20 years overdue for an overhaul. It really needs some renovations.
Or look at the worlds largest pipe organ which just got a million dollar gilded overhaul.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
This Macy's IS nice, however its just messy and unkempt because management keeps it that way. Most Macy's are like this unfortunately. I still think the place producers a decent shopping experience.
Most retailers are actually understaffed. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes not.

As somebody who works for a brand that sells to department stores, I can tell you that it is short sited. Nordstrom is one of the few department stores that has not drastically cut its front line staff. You can see the results of that in your store experience, from customer service to cleanliness, etc. Brands like mine also see it in metrics that drive the bottom line, like sell through and in store conversion.

The middle tier department stores (Bloomies is sort of an exception, as it sits between the middle and high end) have suffered as corporate management basically keeps on doing the same crap and expecting to see a different result.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Well, putting aside personal shopping preferences, a Bloomingdale's is an indicia of success. It would mean we have reached a critical mass of high income residents and tourists to support such a store and/or can draw in enough suburban shoppers to make a city shopping trip (perhaps with other activities to make more of an expanded day of it) rather than driving to KOP. But it will happen if and when we get there. Bloomingdale's is not super high end. It has a range of brands and price points and is probably less luxury than it was 10 years ago. Would still be good for the city to be able to maintain one here.

Last edited by jsbrook; Jun 11, 2019 at 11:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Well, putting aside personal shopping preferences, a Bloomingdale's is an indicia of success. It would mean we have reached a critical mass of high income residents and tourists to support such a store and/or can draw in enough suburban shoppers to make a city shopping trip (perhaps with other activities to make more of an expanded day of it) rather than driving to KOP. But it will happen if and when we get there. Bloomingdale's is not super high end. It has a range of brands and price points and is probably less luxury than it was 10 years ago. Would still be good for the city to be able to maintain one here.
Im all for having both, I just don't agree that Macy's are typically low end stores in other locations. I don't know if I've ever been in a mall location of Macy's where the store looks as beat down as our CC location. It's changed names 3 times in 20 years but I don't believe any of those name changes came with any substantial investment. The grand architecture helps distract from the poor condition of the space.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Im all for having both, I just don't agree that Macy's are typically low end stores in other locations. I don't know if I've ever been in a mall location of Macy's where the store looks as beat down as our CC location. It's changed names 3 times in 20 years but I don't believe any of those name changes came with any substantial investment. The grand architecture helps distract from the poor condition of the space.
I agree.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:28 PM
Midrise

Dranoff goes all-in on condos for South Broad Street tower after hotel hybrid plan fizzles | Inquirer.com

A soaring glass residential tower is being proposed by developer Carl Dranoff for the spot across the street from the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts where he first envisioned a condo-hotel hybrid seven years ago.

In its latest — and likely final — iteration, the Broad and Spruce Street tower to be known as Arthaus will stand 47 stories and host 108 balconied condominiums that will range in price from $2 million to more than $10 million, Dranoff said ahead of a groundbreaking ceremony planned for Tuesday morning.

[snip]

The $253 million building’s amenities will include 36,000 square feet of shared space atop the lower floors that make up the tower’s base, with a 75-foot-long heated indoor pool and raised garden beds on one of four separate outdoor decks for residents to grow flowers and vegetables.

[snip]

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:55 PM

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 8:18 PM

What a banner week or so for Philly development:
1) The Laurel finally has a crew on site working/digging. 599 feet.
2) Arthaus is legit, and has started. 528 feet.
3) J.W. Marriott coming to the old Family Court house.
4) Drexel Park opens.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 8:21 PM

Arthaus looks awesome; I love the vertical lines cladding!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
What a banner week or so for Philly development:
3) J.W. Marriott coming to the old Family Court house.
Has the J.W. Marriott ever been announced?
This is the last iteration that I'm aware of: https://www.inquirer.com/philly/busi...-20180709.html
".............Peebles also said his company plans to develop the property as an independently branded hotel.........."

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:29 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
"I'm gonna put my booger right here and nobody can do anything about it!"

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Has the J.W. Marriott ever been announced?
This is the last iteration that I'm aware of: https://www.inquirer.com/philly/busi...-20180709.html
".............Peebles also said his company plans to develop the property as an independently branded hotel.........."
Was going to ask the same thing. I didn't see that announced, and I don't think it's going to be a JW. The manager is not MxM (Marriott's Hotel Management Company) but the manager of the Standard and Roosevelt Hotel (both awesome hotels).

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190430.html

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:54 AM
Midrise

Posting note: Those who hotlink images directly from inquirer.com or philly.com should be aware that the webmasters there often purge images from archived articles within a year or two, so images linked here directly will possibly disappear at some future date. ;-)

Hotlinking images from other sites without explicit permission is generally frowned upon as a matter of netiquette. A friend of mine once discovered someone hotlinking a photo from his server without permission and using it as wallpaper on that person's web page. My friend cleverly used mod-rewrite to cause accesses to the photo by that specific web page to redirect to a goatse image.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 5:46 PM
User Since 2002

Hey everyone! I started the originally Philly thread back in 2002, so cool to see this is still going strong on version X! Great to see all these projects in the pipe as well. Back in my day, when I walked uphill in the snow both ways to get to the public library to access this site, I also had to do quite a bit of lobbying to get the Philly diagram spruced up. Looks like we have plenty of additions to make there once again. Giovanni Sasso if you're out there you owe me $100 for Comcast Tower 1 being built!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 8:28 PM
i heart philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDreamsReturns View Post
Hey everyone! I started the originally Philly thread back in 2002, so cool to see this is still going strong on version X! Great to see all these projects in the pipe as well. Back in my day, when I walked uphill in the snow both ways to get to the public library to access this site, I also had to do quite a bit of lobbying to get the Philly diagram spruced up. Looks like we have plenty of additions to make there once again. Giovanni Sasso if you're out there you owe me $100 for Comcast Tower 1 being built!
Welcome back. I’ve been visiting this site since 04, pretty much every day. Thank you for your efforts.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:23 AM

Quote:
I joined here when I was 14 and I'll be 31 in a couple days. Time files!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Always great to see some of the originals come back :-)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 12:42 PM

On July 1, PGW out of the garage on the 1100 block of Chestnut:

https://www.pgworks.com/residential/...qOvKMpj17rZ2NM

Maybe we will see the Chestnut Street phase of the East Market project begin this summer. (We still have not seen the building that had the Rainbow store on the next block get demo'd and that notice has been up for ages...Wendy's also has yet to be demo'd...)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:12 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
On July 1, PGW out of the garage on the 1100 block of Chestnut:

https://www.pgworks.com/residential/...qOvKMpj17rZ2NM

Maybe we will see the Chestnut Street phase of the East Market project begin this summer. (We still have not seen the building that had the Rainbow store on the next block get demo'd and that notice has been up for ages...Wendy's also has yet to be demo'd...)
We're going to have three demo sites along one side of 11th Street soon-- Wendy's, Midtown II, and the Chestnut Street Association Commercial Development (the true name of the garage). I hope Smokin' Betty's, Wrap Shack, the new Wrap Shack annex restaurant, and Milkboy don't get their asses kicked by all this work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations