HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
I think it is a huge shame if Tom’s Diner (originally a White Spot designed by Armet and Davis) gets torn down, but I think at its location it is inevitable. I REALLY wish, and actually prefer, that it would be moved (sorry, but that stretch of Colfax is, always has been, and always will be a druggie invested armpit that I do my best not to have walk through any time of day, let alone at night). The developer will certainly say that it is too expensive or impossible to move the building, but money never seems to be an issue to them when there is something they want to do. I hate when people use the excuse that you don’t need to save any 50-60 year old buildings and that only 100+ year old buildings are important. Guess what? The 100+ year buildings were 50 years old at one point and we wouldn’t have them today if they were all torn down when they weren’t historic enough. Tom’s Diner is the best remaining googie diner in Denver and it will be a loss when it is gone. It wouldn’t be so bad if the building replacing it was exceptional, but it will be just another ugly, cheaply constructed pile of sh*t. I will say that Sam’s #3 on 15th Street is ABSOLUTELY worth saving no matter what someone wants to build there.

Meh -- that building just isn't congruent with good urban design. And it is located so close to transit -- that is exactly where we need more density.

I do think Toms contributes the vagrancy on that particular corner quite a bit -- both its design which doesnt really activate the street and the overall business itself which happily turns a blind eye to all the vagrancy, much of which is caused by its customers. I think activation with a good sized market rate or near-market rate apartment and ground floor retail would be great, and don't think the city would lose too much architecturally.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Meh -- that building just isn't congruent with good urban design. And it is located so close to transit -- that is exactly where we need more density.

I do think Toms contributes the vagrancy on that particular corner quite a bit -- both its design which doesnt really activate the street and the overall business itself which happily turns a blind eye to all the vagrancy, much of which is caused by its customers. I think activation with a good sized market rate or near-market rate apartment and ground floor retail would be great, and don't think the city would lose too much architecturally.
Absolutely agree. Fact that place has been Diner for multiple decades doesn't make it worthy of preservation, IMHO. The building itself is a mess I think.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:04 PM

You may have seen this somewhere

Source

Presumably you'd agree it's not as nice as this:

Source

So what do these two renderings have in common?
They're both projects by Hines with equity funding provided by Chicago-based Cresset-Diversified QOZ Fund, that are intended to take advantage of opportunity zones and both reflect the sites where the opportunity existed. The 1st is in RiNo will be 392 units where the 2nd is in Houston with 373 units.

One of Denver's first big opportunity zone plays kicks off with a $155M project
Jun 19, 2019 By Andrew Dodson – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
One of the first big qualified opportunity zone plays in metro Denver is a 392-unit, high-end apartment building that’s being developed in the city’s River North Art District.

If all goes according to plan, investors can essentially kiss goodbye the federal and state taxes tied to the capital gains they earned in 2018 — about 23% — by investing those gains into the $155 million project, in addition to receiving low- to mid-double-digit returns a decade or more from now.
Avy Stein provides some background.
Quote:
“RiNo looks like what Chicago’s West Loop looked like 15 years ago.”

Avy Stein, founder and co-chairman of Cresset, told Denver Business Journal that the parts of RiNo that fall into those designated districts are a “very big opportunity” for investors.

“What’s really interesting about it is that RiNo is this pre-planned, brand-new community where they’re taking what was formerly industrial and now you’re going to have a performing arts center, multifamily, office, entertainment,” he said.
Clearly Hines having already gone through the hoops required with the Houston project was in a position to move quickly in Denver.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 9:28 PM

The first building permit application for Kenect Denver has been submitted to the City.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:16 PM

Pepsi has sold its massive RiNo parking lots to a development company:

Carmel Partners on Tuesday, June 18, closed on 3800 and 3900 N. Brighton Boulevard, two separate parking lots owned by PepsiCo (Nasdaq: PEP) across the street from its bottling plant, according to property records. 3800 N. Brighton Blvd. sold for $16.41 million; 3900 N. Brighton Blvd. sold for $19.78 million. The combined deal works out to $220 per square foot.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...lots-sold.html

This is yet anther "Opportunity Zone" deal, per DBJ. Site has potential to go up to 16 stories.

All of the RiNO developments definitely have potential to sap some of the growth of legacy downtown, including Tabor 2.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
The first building permit application for Kenect Denver has been submitted to the City.
Awesome!

IIRC they changed their design somewhat with the last submittal. In any case it looks great to me.

I was slightly concerned when they were able to get efficient approval from Phoenix and quickly moved to groundbreaking that it might affect their timetable for Denver so this submittal is meaningful. As of 3 weeks ago Kenect Phoenix is out of the ground and the core was up 4 stories. I assume that Ankara prefers a staggered construction timeline but at least they're now moving ahead in Denver.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 12:16 AM

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/rtd-e...racks-projects

Pretty cool article about RTD and finishing the light rail. If I understood it correctly, if we were to approve a .1% sale and use tax hike we could have it all finished by 2040 which I would totally support. Also got me thinking that if Denver were to pass a 1% sales tax or an increase in the income tax couldn’t that fund a wide scale street car system?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
the first building permit application for kenect denver has been submitted to the city.

yooooooo!!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
FINALLY! I was holding out on this one. great news

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:13 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
https://www.cpr.org/news/story/rtd-e...racks-projects

Pretty cool article about RTD and finishing the light rail. If I understood it correctly, if we were to approve a .1% sale and use tax hike we could have it all finished by 2040 which I would totally support. Also got me thinking that if Denver were to pass a 1% sales tax or an increase in the income tax couldn’t that fund a wide scale street car system?
Why in God's name would we piss money away on a goddamn streetcar system with a freaking ~10% increase to our sales tax rate that would make Denver the most expensive city in the metro area to sell consumable goods?

Denver currently has a sales tax rate of 4.31% after we voted for all sorts of goodies last year and Denver pulls in about $700M from sales and use taxes. Increasing it by 1% would put the overall sales tax burden in Denver at 9.31%- the most expensive in the metro area. Assuming that there is no price sensitivity by Denver peeps, and that they don't decide to hop on over to Aurora to make purchases at cheaper rates, such a sales tax would generate about $190M in new revenue. This new revenue could support about $2B in bonding, with $90M leftover for O&M of a new system. $2B could build maybe three corridors in a city with 20 transit corridors in desperate need of improvement.

I'd put that $2B towards a shit-ton of upgrades to our bus system rather than three vanity projects. Really, I wouldn't put a 1% tax increase on the ballot, but would look at a rideshare usage tax, kill the scholarship and food desert tax, a .25% sales tax for transit, and a property tax increase with the cumulative amount approaching $150M to 175M and seeking form grants elsewhere to bridge the capital gap.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:13 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:

Yes. This project is the game changer for Arapahoe Square in terms of design and street activation. Excited to see this move forward.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:59 PM

Cut me some slack
I'm well removed from the bowels of tech

But in honor of your Special Day, I read a delightful CNN piece all about You.
Congratulations on your unconventional IPO; mid-day you're flying high, up 60 percent from the opening.
Lastly, Slack, you made a smart choice in expanding to Denver.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/20/tech/...ons/index.html
Quote:
Better yet, think of coworking space provider WeWork, with its promise of delivering office culture as a service. Slack does that too, but online rather than in a physical space... Slack is the new office watercooler. It is the work environment you have when you're stuck at your desk for hours and can't hover by the glorious office plant wall or the craft beer taps in the kitchen.

Slack is where you welcome new employees with a procession of GIFs. It's where companies divide themselves between channels devoted to cats and channels devoted to dogs.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Cut me some slack

Congratulations on your unconventional IPO; mid-day you're flying high, up 60 percent from the opening.

There's another big SF tech company about to open a major office in Denver, also begins with an S. Should be announced in a few weeks...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Cut me some slack

Speaking of Slack, they have their tramp-stamp on 16 Chestnut now. If you walk by on the sidewalk, they have a pretty slick looking atrium with their logo in on the wall.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:17 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1530 View Post
There's another big SF tech company about to open a major office in Denver, also begins with an S. Should be announced in a few weeks...

...alesforce?

Last edited by wong21fr; Jun 21, 2019 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:27 PM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
Hmmm..... From what I could quickly grab before being booted for not being a paid member, it looks like the two companies listed in this article are not Salesforce. The big one they mention is already here in CO (correct me if I am wrong). The other doesn't seem to jive with what Salesforce is, and I think the article says the second company is a whole sale HQ relocation, yes?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
...aleforce?
Supposedly they are/were hunting for a good chunk of space in the 250k sf rang. That would be enough to fill T3.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 6:58 PM

Is BusinessDen trying to become the Pepsi to DenverInfill's Coke? https://businessden.com/2019/06/21/p...efd2-148090113

If so, I'm excited. I'm just glad that we have passionate urbanists like Ryan, Ken, and Thomas that are willing to document development in the city at no cost to us.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Supposedly they are/were hunting for a good chunk of space in the 250k sf rang. That would be enough to fill T3.
Any mention of where Checkr is going to build out their HQ?

Also, has anyone heard anything about the apartment tower that was proposed on the old city hall site?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West