HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Whenever complaints about the weather come up, I always remember Copes (from NS, but came to NL for school, married an exceptionally gorgeous, accomplished, friendly local girl just the other weekend) talking about the summer where it was foggy literally half the season. 13C tops. Foggy.

I clearly wasn't appreciating how horrible it was (I wasn't home yet for it) and he grabbed my forearm, stared me right in the eyes, and said, "Short of a death in the family, nothing has ever affected me as much." And it was just so... genuine, heartbroken. Still haunts me.

So... weather matters lol

As for numbers... by outside standards, ours are shitty whether it's a good or bad season to me personally.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
The "cool, chilly, pretty bad" summer of 2017 Toronto's avg high Jun-Sep were 25, 27, 25, 24. For comparison, because presumably no one was complaining in Edmonton that year, the avg highs were 22, 25, 24, 18. Let's not even get into the lows.

I guess it is all a matter of what you're used to but Toronto in a shitty year is still summer. Edmonton this year has been more like spring or fall.
May was nice, hot and dry. but we did have smoke. Was out for a walk at lunch and it was nice. just got a bit of sweat on my back when I returned to the office. Have been able to sit on the deck most days when there was no rain but only after basseting myself in deate.

This year the rains are warmer. used to be when it rained the temp would drop and you need to put on a sweater. haven't really had that issue this year unless there was hail. Rained a bit last weekend during the Tour of Alberta, but didn't need to be dressed in much extra more than a rain jacket. no arm or leg warmers. I was sweating pretty good even then.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:41 PM
ARTchitecture

It's all relative.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Out of curiosity I searched through some old posts of mine in this thread from the summer of 2017.

Boy, I sure do complain a lot.
Eh, once you've hit a certain point in life, you've earned the right to complain.

Even if no one cares.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 10:01 PM

Summer of 2016 was fantastic in Southern/Eastern ON with lots of record heat. 2017 was garbage (relatively speaking), 2018 was another scorcher. This year had a crappy spring but late June and July have been 10/10. July will come in above normal everywhere with lots of sunny days. August looks relatively promising as well, should be decent, with a few extra cooler days added in.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 10:37 PM

Interesting day here. Rained all morning, got humid as hell, humidity has now dropped a bit and it is pleasant.

One reason we planted this garden

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
27 feels like 34 (dew point 19 RH 59%) at 4pm. Gorgeous if not a little sticky.
Nice, but looks like you are headed for a cool night low of around 11°C though.

Vancouver is good this year because the grass hasn't turned brown and it just feels normal instead of drought-like. Today was around 23° to 24°, hot enough for me, nice and sunny. Our early morning low will be around 16.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The temperature in Moncton peaked at 32.1C, and we did achieve a humidex reading of 40 late this afternoon. Not even close to a record however. The highest temperature recorded in Moncton on this date was in 1949, at 35.6C

Fredericton was warmer, peaking at 33.1C and a humidex of 41. CTV Weather Centre claimed this was the highest temperature in Canada today.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Whenever complaints about the weather come up, I always remember Copes (from NS, but came to NL for school, married an exceptionally gorgeous, accomplished, friendly local girl just the other weekend) talking about the summer where it was foggy literally half the season. 13C tops. Foggy.

I clearly wasn't appreciating how horrible it was (I wasn't home yet for it) and he grabbed my forearm, stared me right in the eyes, and said, "Short of a death in the family, nothing has ever affected me as much." And it was just so... genuine, heartbroken. Still haunts me.

So... weather matters lol

As for numbers... by outside standards, ours are shitty whether it's a good or bad season to me personally.
I wonder how I'd do in St. John's, that's a tempting challenge! (If your real estate market wasn't that unappealing, I might be interested! )

I fancy myself as pretty tough weather-wise. Went through three years in a row where I'd be working outside in the very windy St. Lawrence River valley during winters (rebuilding cooling tower sections that could only be turned off during cooler weather), windchills often of -30, while taking care of business in SE Florida during the off-season (June to August), AND my house down there didn't even have functional A/C at the time, nor did my car.

I also spent one entire summer living in Scotland earlier in my life, didn't notice that it was supposed to be grey or depressing. (Not sure how St. John's compares?)

I like to think I'd be unaffected

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I wonder how I'd do in St. John's, that's a tempting challenge! (If your real estate market wasn't that unappealing, I might be interested! )

I fancy myself as pretty tough weather-wise. Went through three years in a row where I'd be working outside in the very windy St. Lawrence River valley during winters (rebuilding cooling tower sections that could only be turned off during cooler weather), windchills often of -30, while taking care of business in SE Florida during the off-season (June to August), AND my house down there didn't even have functional A/C at the time, nor did my car.

I also spent one entire summer living in Scotland earlier in my life, didn't notice that it was supposed to be grey or depressing. (Not sure how St. John's compares?)
We're way better than Scotland. It's one of the only places where the locals I know who've been on vacation come back complaining about the weather. We're the least sunny in Canada, but by far one of the sunniest in that stretch of "Northern" Europe from Dublin across to St. Petersburg.

It's a mixed bag here. And the shitty thing is the numbers don't seem to back it up. But I have lots of friends in Ottawa - as I've said many times, it's one of the only places I know where Newfoundlanders move and actually like it there - and they are always coming back talking about snowstorms when it's still fall colours and pretty mild here. Always. It's just a given. But you go on weather sites, and they don't actually get colder on average much faster than us. I don't get that, the divide between the constant, universal experience and the actual reality.

The hardest thing here, for anyone coming from basically anywhere else on earth, is that we have no spring. We really don't. It's solid, hard, complete, and total winter until the end of March. And even in April/May, there will be lots of days colder than a Vancouver NYE. And then... the way our weather is... it's air patterns keeping it cold, so everything is in place - sun angle, sun strength, etc - WEEKS before it warms up. So once that high over Greenland fucks off, it's just an instant LURCH into summer. It's like... you turn on the burner on your stove, but cover it with a pot lid. St. John's is in winter until you remove that pot lid, but once you do, everything is already ready to go and it's BOOM instant hot.

There are only two things about mainland Canadian weather that shocked and annoyed me.

1. Cold. We just don't get that cold. Ever. A common winter day up there is like our record cold. Average day in Winnipeg is like being on Signal Hill in 100 km/hr winds in January here. It's indescribable cold.

2. Rain. We are getting A LOT more rain lately. I think it's climate change. We used to get only a couple days per year. Now it's like a dozen days. Proper, Canadian mainland rain - big droplets that fall down and splash on you and get you wet. The norm here is drizzle and fog, like being downstream from a waterfall. It can be instense, like a few metres downstream from Niagara falls, but it's never those fucking droplets. My face is literally still ticklish when it rains, that's how rare it is here. I hate it. Hate hate hate.

But anyhow... it fogged over after a HOT day here (by our standards). So, need to warm the belly before work... lol

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:39 PM

^ What "mainland" Canada are you referring to exactly? There is a lot of discrepancy across the country obviously. For instance, when you are talking about the cold, St. John's appears to have colder winters than much of Southern Ontario, although I imagine the cold snaps aren't as harsh.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
^ What "mainland" Canada are you referring to exactly? There is a lot of discrepancy across the country obviously. For instance, when you are talking about the cold, St. John's appears to have colder winters than much of Southern Ontario, although I imagine the cold snaps aren't as harsh.
Yeah, sorry. Inaccurate generalizations. There's lots of weather websites too that talk about how we have the mildest winter east of B.C. and completely ignore Windsor. And, really, even TO. Can you imagine that in another country?

"Lapland has the mildest winters in Norway outside of Tromso." (*Excluding Oslo).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
No place in Ontario has such a mild record low as St. John's ("only" -28C). Every single square inch of Ontario has been subjected to levels of cold that just don't exist in St. John's.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:03 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Funny aside... on Sunday lol If you ever want to feel completely, irredeemably hideous... buy professional photos/video of you running.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:14 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
No place in Ontario has such a mild record low as St. John's ("only" -28C). Every single square inch of Ontario has been subjected to levels of cold that just don't exist in St. John's.
Nothing magically happens when you go to the "mainland" though. And actually the ferry from NL doesn't go to the mainland, it goes to Cape Breton Island.

The biggest confounding factor here is that people tend to compare dissimilar weather stations. If you find a coastal NS station it will be about the same as NL, just a bit warmer as you go south. And the southern tip of NS of course is milder than anywhere in NL (similar marine influence and farther south). It is attached to the mainland. The all-time record low in Charlesville NS is -21.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
As I acknowledged but in terms of average temperatures it is colder than much of Southern Ontario so it's a little disingenuous to say it has milder winters.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, sorry. Inaccurate generalizations. There's lots of weather websites too that talk about how we have the mildest winter east of B.C. and completely ignore Windsor. And, really, even TO. Can you imagine that in another country?

"Lapland has the mildest winters in Norway outside of Tromso." (*Excluding Oslo).
Generalizations usually have a little bit of truth too. St. John's is actually statistically close to Halifax during the winter months, but with Halifax having the slight edge, and after March Halifax is warmer. There are still many other aspects of weather though, such as fog, cloud, snow, and especially wind chill, and the term "mild" is subjective.

Halifax hi/lo Dec to March average temps:
December 2° / -5° 11 days rain
January -1° / -8° 11 days rain
February -1° / -7° 8 days rain
March 2° / -5° 10 days rain

St. John's hi/lo Dec to March average temps:
December 2° / -4° 13 days rain
January -1° / -8° 11 days rain
February -1° / -9° 10 days rain
March 1° / -5° 11 days rain

Source, Google

edit: "days rain" also includes snow, etc..

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:00 AM
Suburbs Suck

32.3C and sunny.
30C #18
UV index 8 not the recent usual 9
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:29 AM

A friend of mine just moved out to St.John's from Ottawa. Been meaning to ask him how he likes the weather.

The summers may be cool, but St. John's is an ocean moderated climate, so there is not much of a range in temperature throughout the year compared to the "mainland." The coldness of the spring is paid back with warmth in the fall and early winter.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Generalizations usually have a little bit of truth too. St. John's is actually statistically close to Halifax during the winter months, but with Halifax having the slight edge, and after March Halifax is warmer.
The mildest weather station I can find for Newfoundland is a place called Cappahayden, which is near the southeast end of the province. The mean there during the coldest month is -4.2 while St. John's is -4.9. The annual temperature range (lowest to highest monthly mean) is 19.4.

Cappahayden also gets 171.8 cm of snow annually which might be the lowest around Newfoundland. It's at 46.52 N (the farthest south of any active Environment Canada weather station in the province).

The southernmost station in Nova Scotia is Charlesville and its coldest mean temperature is -2. It is at 43.35 N. The annual temperature range there is 17.8. It gets 95 cm of snow per year.

Halifax has 3 weather Environment Canada stations warmer than any weather station in Newfoundland, but only 2 are on the mainland. Sable Island technically is inside the municipality's boundaries for some reason. I didn't include it as Nova Scotia's "mildest" station but the coldest month there is -1.2.

Last edited by someone123; Jul 31, 2019 at 2:53 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada