HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

View Poll Results: Which party do you plan to vote for in the 2019 federal election?
Conservative Party 73 25.61%
Liberal Party 119 41.75%
NDP 44 15.44%
Green Party 27 9.47%
Peoples Party of Canada 22 7.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:06 AM

I'll most likely be voting Liberal.

I really like our Liberal candidate Michelle Boileau. She's younger than me, bilingual and is my neighbour. I also really like our NDP MP Charlie Angus but I think that a lot of people here don't want an MP whose party has less of a voice and is on the decline. The two Northern Ontario currently NDP seats have a good chance of going Liberal in October unless Jagmeet Singh can turn things around.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
What's so terrible about Scheer?
He's a weak leader. Nobody really knows where he actually stands on so many issues and even many conservative supporters don't like him. He's starting to remind me a lot of former Ontario PC leader Tim Hudak who was always negative and criticizing but never could clearly tell where he stood on issues.

Last edited by Loco101; Sep 9, 2019 at 3:34 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
There should be a 'not voting' option and/or 'undecided'.
I'll probably vote (again) for my incumbent who is almost guaranteed to be reelected for the Nth time in a row since the 1980s, but that's not a poll option in this thread.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'll probably vote (again) for my incumbent who is almost guaranteed to be reelected for the Nth time in a row since the 1980s, but that's not a poll option in this thread.
So you're voting for Louis Plamondon who is BQ?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:26 AM

Yep. (My "official" place of residence is still Bécancour, even though I'm much more in the Townships nowadays; when it's Federal voting time I don't regret being registered there instead of here, makes the decision easier.)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:33 AM
ARTchitecture

I know the Greens won't win here, but no one but the conservatives have any chance in Calgary, even in my riding of Calgary Centre. So I'm gonna contribute to the Green wave and cast a vote their way. Dilute the blue pollution in Calgary a teeny bit.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 7:36 AM

Definitely Liberal and more so now that country singer George Canyon is running for the Conservatives in Central Nova (this was Peter MacKay’s riding) Canyon is originally from here but lives in Alberta now. His real name is Fred Lays Jr. Wonder what name will appear on the ballot?

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...l-nova-343484/

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 7:58 AM
恭喜发财!

If I were voting I'd either spoil my ballot or hold my nose and vote Liberal. Sure, they stink, but the other guys stink even more.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 9:23 AM

I really like the People's Party Member in my riding, but can't get behind the party platform.

Probably going green, though I expect my riding (In Tobique Mactaquac ((NB)) to swing Conservative this election.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I'll be voting Liberal. The other parties have not done anything to inspire me, and for all the definite issues with Trudeau's government so far, there are many aspects of it that I approve of. I am completely unimpressed with Scheer and Singh as leaders.
This .... and Chrystia Freeland is my local MP - she should win handily. I don't even think the NDP have a candidate in the riding yet.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 12:28 PM
five one foreigner

It's so easy to put Scheer on the back foot because he doesn't have any sense of what he represents. He is more cautious regarding hot-button Liberal issues than Trudeau and co. but he ultimately has the same worldview, so the result is that he looks diffident and weak when they push.

Look at him (meaninglessly) campaigning on points of transnational procedure:

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says he would continue Canada’s campaign for a seat on the United Nations Security Council if he becomes Prime Minister following this fall’s federal election.

However, Mr. Scheer said he would not “sell out” Canadian principles, including democracy, the rule of law and fundamental human rights, in an effort to secure votes from other countries for a seat on the UN’s most powerful branch.

“I think that Canada can play a very valuable role and would have a major contribution to make, but not at the expense of selling out our principles or selling out our long-standing positions on various issues and certainly not contributing to actions abroad where there are no clear Canadian interests,” Mr. Scheer said in an interview with The Globe and Mail last week.

It's all "well, you know, this is good, but that's good too, and we gotta...".

This is a time that is either exciting or dangerous for right-wing politics, depending on your stance, and I don't even know if he is aware of what's going on. Is he up on the Ahmari-French debate? What are his views on interventionist foreign policy and the consequent refugee issues? Erdogan? What does he think about monetary policy, QE, MMT... he seems like a relic from the late '90s, a Dole, a jobber.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 12:30 PM
five one foreigner

This guy wouldn't even get on stage in Europe. Compared to Scheer, Ulf Kristersson is Matteo Salvini. Where do we even find these people, and are they aware of anything beyond Canada's physical and intellectual borders?

If I still supported the Canadian centre-left in general and the Liberals more specifically I would thank the Lord for these hacks. He makes JT look like Václav Havel, a man of history and the era. I mean, say what you want about "Because it's 2015" but it's Cicero compared to "individual MPs have the right to express themselves on matters of conscience, but a Conservative government will not reopen these divisive social issues."

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 12:46 PM
Jos Connaissant

Well the Canadian right had/has Maxime Bernier. Lots of resolve and decisiveness, though perhaps not as much analysis and knowledge as what you'd be looking for.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 12:49 PM
five one foreigner

Bernier is definitely the bolder choice. His party is all over the place and has some pretty... junior members (reminds me a bit of Danske Folkeparti, which is no compliment), but as a vehicle to punish the insubstantial Scheer CPC it has real use in our democracy.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 12:51 PM
five one foreigner

The thing with Bernier is that he is a libertarian making a play for the populist moment. Right-populism is typically less market-centric than libertarianism, but... it's not time for those quetions yet, maybe. He is a cudgel with which to strike the CPC and that's all he is right now, I think.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 12:52 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
This .... and Chrystia Freeland is my local MP - she should win handily. I don't even think the NDP have a candidate in the riding yet.
I’ll probably vote for whichever of the Conservative or People’s Party candidates is less sketchy. I voted for Freeland last time. But I think I’ll wait for the campaign to take place before deciding.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 12:53 PM
five one foreigner

JT is a smarter politician than Scheer in that he does not leave viable room to his left the way Scheer does to his right. He governs with a very savvy blend of high-visibility, social progressive feints and a lot of slow, centre-right churn in the industrial and corporate realms.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I’ll probably vote for whichever of the Conservative or People’s Party candidates is less sketchy. I voted for Freeland last time. But I think I’ll wait for the campaign to take place before deciding.
Their candidate seems reasonable

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:13 PM
Jos Connaissant

A fascinating alternative history scenario would have Bernier winning the Tory leadership over Scheer. (I think we are all prone to forgetting just how close he came to winning it.)

I think a Bernier at the helm of a major national party would have been a bit of a different beast. Probably still provocative but definitely more reined in by the machine.

He wouldn't have been as much of a maverick and a loose cannon with that encadrement around him.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A fascinating alternative history scenario would have Bernier winning the Tory leadership over Scheer. (I think we are all prone to forgetting just how close he came to winning it.)

I think a Bernier at the helm of a major national party would have been a bit of a different beast. Probably still provocative but definitely more reined in by the machine.

He wouldn't have been as much of a maverick and a loose cannon with that encadrement around him.
First off - and it's major - with Bernier at the helm, the PPC's ~5% gets added to the Tories' current support numbers. That's majority territory right there.

IMO none of Bernier's flaws would be grave enough to cause a loss of support anywhere that already supports Scheer (usually strongholds); as kool maudit pointed out, Bernier would not have anyone to his right, and that's huge.

Too bad, CPC's choice. It's not even the greatest such mistake in that same time frame - NDP deciding to kick Mulcair to the curb was much worse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada