HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Who is the owner/developer of this building?
The current owner is Hyatt (who infamously bought out Trump) TF Cornerstone, MSD and RXR will be redeveloping it.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 12:47 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It will be a soaring tower for sure. How huge is literally up in the air.
Nice pun

But in reality it is a small site if I'm not mistaken, therefore will be a pretty skinny tower, skinny + a lot of space = very very tall

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 5:49 PM
Ω

^It's a huge site by recent standards. ~1/2 of a typical block.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 7:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Nice pun

But in reality it is a small site if I'm not mistaken, therefore will be a pretty skinny tower, skinny + a lot of space = very very tall
It’s slightly larger than 1 Vandy’s site. The blocks are Vanderbilt Ave are pretty small.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 1:14 AM

I really hope this is an Art Deco tower. All I ask for is a skyline that looks like this

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 4:29 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This could be a super tall easily. Looking at the parameters, if we are talking hotel (500 units), and 2 mil-sq ft of office along with retail space, if we are going by your typical Class-A office ceiling heights, easily a super tall even if the parcel is slightly bigger than 1 Vanderbilt's footprint. I don't think this will be 1 Vandy height, but more like 1100-1200 ft (my gut feeling). Unless they do something dramatic such as it becoming increasingly slender/width as it rises.

Factoring the amenities, which I'd imagine the hotel would occupy the base or lower section, along with retail, and your typical ceiling heights and mechanical, easily solid 300m+.

Hopefully not a box, but any sort of set backs will definitely increase the yield height wise of tower, topped off by some sort of architectural elements.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 11:53 AM

I wish they would consider I.M. Pei's old terminal design for this site.

There has never been a better opportunity to blow New York's architecture scene wide open, than there is now, with the Hyperboloid. It would perfectly complement Lady Chrysler; mirroring its legendary triangular crown windows with its own structural bracing, fashioned of the same unique nickel steel as its venerable neighbours. It would provide a spectacular hotel on its upper floors, complete with a revolving restaurant conveniently located level with the Chrysler's spire. New York would finally get its Windows On The World level mojo back. The rest of the building would provide dazzling, AAA office space, with the unique round floorplans offering something no other office building can. The building would fit the site like a glove, complementing Chrysler, Grand Central and One Vanderbilt perfectly, with its dainty hourglass waist opening up views of its neighbours from across the island.

Oh what a dream to see this happen! Are you listening money men?!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 8:41 PM

Wink

I.M.PEI Hyperboloid project (1956)

http://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market...oruscant/17322

But a tower similar to the Signature Tower Nashville, Tennessee project would also be perfect.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/to...loors/page/43/

Signature Tower 1,057-foot tall, 65-story and 1.5 million-square-foot. With 2 million-square-foot a tower like this could be 1,420 foot taller or more.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:08 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Looks like the ESB got a Biff Tannen Pleasure Palace redo, no thanks.

Regardless of all the reasons a structure like the Hyperboloid couldn't be constructed there - not least of which is the Hyperboloid was proposed to replace GCT and the Hyatt lot has a much smaller footprint - it is astonishing how current the design looks.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:30 PM

Angry

The Signature Tower is not ESB, please. Off topic!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 10:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

Sad!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:51 AM

Something like the Chicago Skyneedle would match the site well too. Maybe De Bozo's "no more glass!!1!" rant could even give us a masonry facade. That would avenge the Commodore hotel's desecration by Trump.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Something like the Chicago Skyneedle would match the site well too. Maybe De Bozo's "no more glass!!1!" rant could even give us a masonry facade. That would avenge the Commodore hotel's desecration by Trump.
The Commodore was hardly a looker before the glass-over.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Looks like we'll have more time for them to get this right, (at least a year and a half longer) and give Vandy a bit more time to shine. Also Chase will make it's mark by then.

https://pointsmilesandmartinis.board...w-york-update/

Grand Hyatt New York Update

September 12, 2019
by Points, Miles & Martinis

Quote:
For those who have been following the Grand Hyatt New York Redevelopment, some exciting news as the hotel that we all currently love will be open through at least July 31, 2022. There were talks initially that it would be closing as early as next year, but Hyatt has confirmed it’s staying open a bit longer.

There are plans to redevelop the hotel, as there will be a new 2 million square foot mixed used development with a brand new Grand Hyatt hotel, however based on this lates update, we won’t see any changes for about 3 years.
Quote:
Per Hyatt,

As redevelopment plans continue on schedule for a new Grand Hyatt New York, the luxury hotel is pleased to confirm that it will continue accepting reservations through at least July 31, 2022. The proposed redevelopment project, in collaboration with TF Cornerstone, MSD Partners and RXR Realty, would replace the existing Grand Hyatt New York and create an iconic 2-million-square-foot mixed-use development, including a new luxury Grand Hyatt hotel, world-class office and retail space, new public open space and dramatic improvements to the public transportation infrastructure in the Grand Central Terminal transit complex.

Hyatt is working closely with TF Cornerstone, MSD Partners and RXR Realty on the planning and design for this iconic Grand Hyatt New York project. Further details regarding the proposed redevelopment will be shared as soon as they become available.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:29 AM
New Yorker for life

https://commercialobserver.com/2019/...ic-and-beyond/

Jeremy Shell

BY CHAVA GOURARIE
SEPTEMBER 25, 2019

Quote:
Let’s take a break from Queens for a second. What’s going on with the Grand Hyatt project next door to Grand Central?

Fortunately for us, we had some early wins after the Midtown East rezoning. We acquired Grand Central Terminal, and the air rights. We were able to transact with J.P. Morgan, sold them some air rights to facilitate the development of their new headquarters. And we also [picked] up the Grand Hyatt site.

We’re very excited about what we’re planning there — we’re planning to bring back a Hyatt hotel at the base of a 2-million-square-foot commercial office building.

This is going to be a process that will involve a lot of stakeholders, and we’re actively working with them — including the MTA, the city and the state — and that’s a process that will take a while. But we’re really excited about advancing that with partners that we have on that, one of which we brought in earlier this year, RXR Realty; they’ll be our co-developer on the project.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:25 AM
New Yorker for life

NOVEMBER 19, 2019

What will rise between these two great skyscrapers? Only time will tell, but I hope it's something fitting of the site and the skyline.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 20, 2019 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 4:57 PM

My hope is a graceful tower with spire that is taller than One Vanderbilt. If it were equal height taller than Vanderbilt is to the Chrysler, perfection might be achieved along the avenue! Especially if the crown and night lighting is sensitive with the two.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm looking for some curves. The island needs more curves.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:03 PM

This has to top One Vandy and Chase.

And I would be fine with another spire for 42nd Street.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 2:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
My hope is a graceful tower with spire that is taller than One Vanderbilt. If it were equal height taller than Vanderbilt is to the Chrysler, perfection might be achieved along the avenue! Especially if the crown and night lighting is sensitive with the two.
I think it needs to be a tapered building (either through setbacks or just tapering) topped by a spire of 1,700 or so feet. If it were too similar in height to Vandy, I wouldn't want that too much, as I think not only would it take away from each tower, but Chrysler as well.

This doesn't look too bad though (towers of similar height)...

But with so many coming towers, we could be on our way to something like this...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals