HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:01 PM
DENNAB

I think Steinway looks cool up close but from the North and South and from a distance it does have too much of a chimney effect. I don't think CPT and 432 are as bad but still offenders.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Steinway from a far might not look good, but once you get close up, the detail and beauty comes out. Due to its aspect ratio, it looks almost like a glitch is occurring in the skyline from a far, especially when viewed from the NJ side via its sides, where its super slender.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Skinny as heck! Like beautiful bamboo. Architectural bamboo with alkaloids of terracotta that give a hell of an engineering and architectural high. Hopefully the invasive species will sprout more often.

Credit: yoichiuzeki
I love this view. These new towers will really help balance out 432 I think. NYC is simply going to another level. Spires would be nice, but these are so slim they are really like spires themselves. I have looked at many pics of this tower and the thought of a "chimney" has never crossed my mind.

And yes, more of this invasive species!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: FC

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 11:05 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Imagine being a steelworker at the very top of that thing? Fuck. That.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 11:09 PM
Meh

Are there now windows on that side of the building? In Austin because of our fire code, any building abutting another neighboring one can't have windows on that side because of the possibility of another neighboring building being built next to it. But it would seem odd to require it for such a tall tower. It's unlikely you'd ever see another tower of the same height built right next to this one. It's made for some ugly windowless facades in Austin.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 11:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yes there's windows but they vary in size depending the side of the facade, from large to small. The terracotta side facade side has the small windows. Facing the Park, the larger windows. Smaller windows are between the terracotta facade.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 11:17 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Are there now windows on that side of the building? In Austin because of our fire code, any building abutting another neighboring one can't have windows on that side because of the possibility of another neighboring building being built next to it. But it would seem odd to require it for such a tall tower. It's unlikely you'd ever see another tower of the same height built right next to this one. It's made for some ugly windowless facades in Austin.
Seriously? Is this residential or all buildings? Isn't Austin full of big towers neighboring one another with windows on all sides?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
There are windows, but the residential only goes so far up.

Behold our great skyline. I remember Central Park South, and the skyline view before the new supertalls were built. No comparison, obviously. It's too bad we couldn't celebrate the topping out of this one along with Vanderbilt and CPT.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2h4KHTn0RU/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hPgLjnmji/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
No comparison, obviously.

Here you go, looks like this was taken between 2007 and 2009

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:26 PM
New Yorker for life

^ So much has changed, even all the way Downtown.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:22 PM
Meh

I see. It just looked like it didn't have many in that photo that Chris posted. I thought it might have had something to do with a fire code and neighboring properties since most of these skinny towers are being sandwiched between other buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Seriously? Is this residential or all buildings? Isn't Austin full of big towers neighboring one another with windows on all sides?
Yeah, I'm not a fan of it as it's creating some strange situations. It's a new fire code here. There are buildings from the 70s that weren't built this way, but all the new towers that abut a neighboring property don't have windows, at least not on the lower floors. The only exceptions have been towers that were built next to historic landmarks that won't ever be torn down and replaced. I think, too, that they're allowing property owners to sell their air rights to their new neighbor.

A few examples:

The Plaza - a 12-story residential building that sits on the end of its block. The east facade doesn't have a single window.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2678...7i13312!8i6656

5th & Colorado Tower - the garage levels abut the property line, so no windows. The tower section steps back away from the property line, so it does have windows.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2678...7i13312!8i6656

The Aloft & Element Hotel. This one has windows in the middle of the south facade, but only because they're setback from the facade.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2677.../data=!3m1!1e3

One of the worst offenders, the Westin Hotel.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2668.../data=!3m1!1e3

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 19, 2019 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 2:47 PM

Is there any illumination planned for the terracotta facades? All those glass panels in between won't actually house more than a tiny handful of windows after all.

I think leaving the walls blank at night would look weird and be a mistake.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 7:49 PM

^^^yes. The lighting will appear to twist up the sides like the rendering below. They also tested the lighting in the full scale mockup they built. Its going to look amazing at night!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Can't wait for it either.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2sd8SiFKES/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

via the lirr in sunnyside last night.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 4:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 4:52 PM

^They placed a tie beam and they jumped the crane yesterday. Expect steel to rise and top out soon

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 7:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
^They placed a tie beam and they jumped the crane yesterday. Expect steel to rise and top out soon

That would be great. No reason for CPT and Vanderbilt to get all the glory.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive