HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Of course not. He doesn't fundamentally have a different worldview or ideology than does Trudeau.
I didn't really think he did, at least as far as China is concerned.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Of course not. He doesn't fundamentally have a different worldview or ideology than does Trudeau.
Trudeau has a particular fetish for China that I don’t believe is widely shared in either the Liberal or Tory parties.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Former ambassadot to China, David McCallum, apparently warned the Chinese that getting tough with the Trudeau government in retaliation for Meng could lead to the election of the Conservatives, who would be less sympathetic to Beijing than the Liberals:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...-officials-of/
Another reason McCallum deserved to be fired with cause. An ambassador should know to completely avoid partisan politics

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Former ambassadot to China, David McCallum, apparently warned the Chinese that getting tough with the Trudeau government in retaliation for Meng could lead to the election of the Conservatives, who would be less sympathetic to Beijing than the Liberals:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...-officials-of/
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I didn't really think he did, at least as far as China is concerned.
Trudeau has an ideology other than looking good and having a good time?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Trudeau has an ideology other than looking good and having a good time?
Kowtowingtototalitariandictatorsism

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Does it have to be pointed out to you that your analogy is poor?
go and read Pinus' posts regarding anything to do with the US. You'll see my analogy, while ridiculous, is perfectly apt.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 7:20 PM

Would that Trudeau and the Liberals could summon the backbone to stand up to China that tiny Lithuania did:

Chinese ambassador summoned in Lithuania over ‘deplorable behaviour’ by officials during Vilnius’ show of support for Hong Kong protesters
Officials ‘crossed the line’ by orchestrating pro-Beijing supporters as they challenged demonstrators, says Foreign Minister Linas Linkevicius

Lithuania’s foreign ministry on Monday served a diplomatic note on Zhifei Shen, the Chinese ambassador in Vilnius, stressing it would not tolerate the behaviour from some Chinese diplomats seen at the counterprotest.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) of the Republic of Lithuania deplores and rejects the actions by the staff of the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) who were involved in organising the unlawful actions undertaken by the Chinese citizens during this incident,” the note said, cited by local journalist Vaidotas Beniušis....

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ver-deplorable

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 8:14 PM

While I applaud Lithuania, Canada's stance has nothing to do with backbone. Canada has to tread very carefully because of the 2 Canadians who were kidnapped by this totalitarian regime. This is also why the Huawei decision has not been announced {ït's pretty clear they will reject it's 5G proposal and with good reason} but can't say anything yet lest they abduct even more Canadians.

Until the Meng Wanzhou extradition case if finally over can Ottawa act. If she is extradited then we will probably never see those Canadians again and Ottawa should advise all Canadians to get out of China. If she isn't then Ottawa will use that leverage to secure the freedom of the Canadians and then after they are released they will deny the Huawei 5G application.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 9:54 PM

Well whatever bounce Trudeau hoped to get from appointing a new ambassador to China was just doused in the cold water of yet more arrogance from China:

The Chinese government offered no sign of new warmth toward Canada Thursday, hours after Ottawa said it would dispatch to Beijing a new ambassador who has curried ties with China’s elite.

“Relations between China and Canada have encountered serious difficulties, and the responsibility lies entirely with the Canadian side,” foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said Thursday.

He confirmed that China has approved former McKinsey & Co. global managing director Dominic Barton as Canada’s top envoy to China, saying Beijing hopes the new ambassador can help stabilize a cross-Pacific relationship that has plunged into its worst state since the Tiananmen massacre in 1989.

But Mr. Geng showed no sign of a changed tone from Beijing, urging Canada to “reflect on its mistakes” and immediately release Meng Wanzhou, the Huawei executive whose arrest in Vancouver last December set in motion a series of hostile actions, including the arrest in China of Canadians Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...stakes-ottawa/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:06 AM
Transit Geek

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/14/w...-arrested.html

Cameron Ortis, someone who was very high up in RCMP(?), was arrested for leaking HIGHLY classified documents (charges not yet proven).

Can the damage be contained?

Or should Five Eyes simply become Four Eyes?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/14/w...-arrested.html

Cameron Ortis, someone who was very high up in RCMP(?), was arrested for leaking HIGHLY classified documents (charges not yet proven).

Can the damage be contained?

Or should Five Eyes simply become Four Eyes?
Mm, he speaks Mandarin I see...

A huge blow to Canada’s reputation with our Five Eyes partners.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Mm, he speaks Mandarin I see...

Well I've heard enough. String him up boys!

Why anyone would want to learn that language for any other purpose than for espionage is beyond me! /S

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:33 PM

I thought the latest media reports hinted at a possible connection to (Russian?) organized crime.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 10:16 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Well I've heard enough. String him up boys!

Why anyone would want to learn that language for any other purpose than for espionage is beyond me! /S
I guess I'm a spy then...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I guess I'm a spy then...
Explains why you haven't been arrested yet!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:49 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Explains why you haven't been arrested yet!
Ever stop to think that maybe the Western media is blowing things out of proportion when it comes to China?

There have been two, that's it, two Canadians arrested. One was arrested because he was closely involved in dealings with North Korea (a dangerous occupation to be in, given that two other Canadians had been arrested for similar dealings previously long before anyone even knew who Meng Wanzhou is), and the other was arrested for working with a non-registered NGO (which is illegal in China). Certainly in response to Ms. Meng's arrest, but these two men were walking a dangerous line so it's not surprising they got picked up.

I've been here in China for 12 years now and I don't feel the slightest bit less safe now than I ever have. People don't treat me badly even when they know what country I'm from, because despite the disagreement between the two governments, people here still have a great deal of respect for Canada and Canadians (a lot of that owing to their reverence for Norman Bethune). It's still a great place to live and work overall (despite the authoritarian nature of the place) and I wouldn't leave even if the Canadian government told me to.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Ever stop to think that maybe the Western media is blowing things out of proportion when it comes to China?

There have been two, that's it, two Canadians arrested. One was arrested because he was closely involved in dealings with North Korea (a dangerous occupation to be in, given that two other Canadians had been arrested for similar dealings previously long before anyone even knew who Meng Wanzhou is), and the other was arrested for working with a non-registered NGO (which is illegal in China). Certainly in response to Ms. Meng's arrest, but these two men were walking a dangerous line so it's not surprising they got picked up.

I've been here in China for 12 years now and I don't feel the slightest bit less safe now than I ever have. People don't treat me badly even when they know what country I'm from, because despite the disagreement between the two governments, people here still have a great deal of respect for Canada and Canadians (a lot of that owing to their reverence for Norman Bethune). It's still a great place to live and work overall (despite the authoritarian nature of the place) and I wouldn't leave even if the Canadian government told me to.
No offense , but you kind of made your values clear by choosing cash over freedom.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:15 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
No offense , but you kind of made your values clear by choosing cash over freedom.
I'm assuming you're just as judgemental towards people who choose to live in any country that doesn't meet your exacting standards? If so, you must be wonderful at parties. And if not, then you're just a hypocrite.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:08 PM

Ah yes, the freedom afforded to post inflammatory racist garbage such as this:
https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...54#post8689454

If there was any indication that the purpose of this thread has been co-opted by whatnext into a let's bitch about the Chinese thread is based on racial animosity then look no further than the above. Also, see the ratio of his posts on this thread to responses and you'll see it's just best to leave him be in this echo chamber he's made for himself.

And cue the obligatory response for him accusing me being a Spy/wumao/sellout for pointing out the obvious.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:56 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Whoa, record screeches to a halt..."blowing things out of proportion"? Crikey, did you just defend the fascist-Orwellian dictatorship that is China?

That foreigners are currently able to live expat lives of relative ease in China is irrelevant to the surreal and intrusive authoritarian nature of the government there, to how utterly corrupt it is at every level, from the local to the national.

The accusation that you're choosing cash over freedom is harsh, judgmental and dogmatic, and yet...it's not wrong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada