HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
No just someone who pays more in taxes than you do... but I do appreciate all the things you buy, sales tax revenues are important!

Back to the exciting development in the West Valley!

http://azbex.com/goodyear-council-ok...iving-complex/
does it make you mad that “Justin Bieber” pays more taxes than you then??

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:21 PM

How do you know that? I thought they weren't being paid as much as their male counterparts who also don't make nearly that much either...remember?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 8:46 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Twitter is cancer....
I remember when I used to have to walk ten miles in a blizzard just to post a tweet via telegraph. Those were the days. Seriously, though, Twitter threads just wreck everything. Twitter is supposed to encourage brevity, or if you have something more detailed to say, it provides a quick way of headlining your views and an opportunity to link to a longer format document on a blog or website. When what should be a press release or white paper is chopped up into tweets, it loses coherence and invites replies that miss the entire context of the argument. I'd really like to read more detailed explanations from Kaepernick, Nike, and Ducey about their positions on this issue. Twitter by itself doesn't do justice to any of their views.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 9:22 PM

Deleted

Last edited by azsunsurfer; Jul 2, 2019 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I remember when I used to have to walk ten miles in a blizzard just to post a tweet via telegraph. Those were the days. Seriously, though, Twitter threads just wreck everything. Twitter is supposed to encourage brevity, or if you have something more detailed to say, it provides a quick way of headlining your views and an opportunity to link to a longer format document on a blog or website. When what should be a press release or white paper is chopped up into tweets, it loses coherence and invites replies that miss the entire context of the argument. I'd really like to read more detailed explanations from Kaepernick, Nike, and Ducey about their positions on this issue. Twitter by itself doesn't do justice to any of their views.
I dont disagree with Ducy's opinion on the matter, I think Nike and Kappernick are wrong thinking in their decision. However the only people likely to hurt over all this political pandering are residents of Goodyear and the west valley with 500 mid-pay jobs that are now at risk.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:34 PM
self-important urbanista

Some analysis and speculation about why Ducey announced his decision via an overnight tweetstorm instead of a more traditional press release:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ts/1629827001/

And some reaction from Goodyear as that community finds itself caught in the middle:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ke/1629293001/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:57 PM

I don't know if $1,000,000 is going to make or break the deal. I'll be honest I am like anyone who would want a plant this size on the west side. Nike wouldn't consider Goodyear if the other factors weren't in their favor. So many other manufacturing firms have announced or have opened up operations recently. If Goodyear in fact keeps their deal, I see them still moving forward but well see...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 12:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I dont disagree with Ducy's opinion on the matter, I think Nike and Kappernick are wrong thinking in their decision. However the only people likely to hurt over all this political pandering are residents of Goodyear and the west valley with 500 mid-pay jobs that are now at risk.
Ducey is a hack--must have felt overlooked by Trump or wanted to curry favor for a future run as senator. He's as cold and milky as the overpriced shit ice cream he used to peddle.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 3:17 PM

Can we please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballister View Post
Ducey is a hack--must have felt overlooked by Trump or wanted to curry favor for a future run as senator. He's as cold and milky as the overpriced shit ice cream he used to peddle.
Keep politics off of this board. Last I checked this was about new construction.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Totally agree. Won’t support Nike deal and over 500 jobs but is all over Twitter wearing them during 4th of July celebration. Idiot smh. Ok back to construction and development news

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Keep politics off of this board. Last I checked this was about new construction.
Relax, dude.. It was about new construction. It's wasn't about politics per se, but my reaction to a public figure interfering in a commercial real estate deal because of his own political point of view. Ducey saw this as a way score a political point. Sorry, you were offended for all of a second.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
All politicians are hacks.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:20 PM

This will be one of the largest data centers in the country by both power usage and size when its done.

https://azbigmedia.com/business/econ...odyear-campus/

Quote:
Goodyear will soon be home to two new data centers. Compass Datacenters has chosen to build its campus on 225 acres of land at the northwest corner of Bullard Avenue and Yuma Road, with future phases to include six additional data centers. The Goodyear City Council unanimously approved an agreement at Monday night’s meeting.

The first phase, delivering a combined 72 MW of IT load, is projected to be completed by fourth quarter 2019. At full build-out, the eight data centers will be over 1.8 million square feet, equivalent to 31 football fields and capable of 350 MW. In addition, the project will improve power infrastructure which benefits the city in the long term.

“Compass Datacenters is a world-class company and a magnificent addition to our growing technology base,” said Mayor Georgia Lord. “The city and Compass are working together in an effort to provide our community with high-end jobs and high-tech solutions. Goodyear is quickly becoming a dynamic location for tech companies and knowledge workers. We are excited to have Compass as a valued partner in this red hot market.”

“Greater Phoenix is a natural next step for Compass since it’s an important location for cloud and hyperscale customers, due to its geographic location, availability of fiber connectivity, affordable cost of data center operations, and the rarity of natural disasters,” said Chris Crosby, CEO of Compass. “We have been working closely with a number of cloud, colocation, and hyperscale customers. These data centers will allow customers to reduce their on-going operating costs and will provide them with complete control over every element of the building – including security, campus network connectivity, operations and maintenance – all on the aggressive timeline they demand.”

The city of Goodyear, APS, and Greater Phoenix Economic Council worked in partnership to assist Compass in bringing its facility to Goodyear.

“Data management and storage are critically important in our modern world, and Goodyear is an attractive destination for companies like Compass that provide these vital high-tech services,” said Michael Martin, director of economic development at APS. “This shows again what can be done with strong economic development partnerships and access to clean, reliable energy to help our communities grow and prosper.”

“Greater Phoenix is rapidly becoming the leading market for data centers in the U.S.” says Chris Camacho, president and CEO of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council. “The region’s ideal southwest location offers very low risk of natural disasters, low latency, robust infrastructure and close proximity to a broad customer base. Data drives innovation, and we’re excited that Compass Datacenters selected Goodyear, Arizona as the next step for their strategic company growth.”

The campus model is a natural evolution of Compass’ business model, delivering high-quality dedicated data centers with industry-leading delivery timeframes and cost-efficiency. The Goodyear campus offers three diverse fiber paths and brand new power infrastructure with a 230kV substation adjacent to the site.

Goodyear, Arizona continues to put its name on the map with multiple announcements of award-winning companies choosing to locate within the city. Compass Datacenters joins the growing list of high-caliber technology companies including Vantage and Stream Data Centers, which were both announced earlier this year. The city of Goodyear, APS, and Greater Phoenix Economic Council worked in partnership to assist Compass in bringing its facility to Goodyear.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 12:18 AM

Ducey extends welcome to Nike after company says it's still building Goodyear plant

Quote:
Nike on Thursday reaffirmed its commitment to build its third U.S. manufacturing plant on the west side of metro Phoenix, bringing more than 500 jobs to Goodyear.

Gov. Doug Ducey on Thursday tweeted the "good news" that Nike is coming to metro Phoenix, saying that "Arizona is open for business, and we welcome Nike to our state."

The tweet came just more than a week after he said Arizona was "doing fine without Nike" and lambasted the athletic apparel giant for pulling a shoe that featured an early design of the American flag.

Ducey vowed to pull $1 million in state incentives from the shoe giant. The Arizona Commerce Authority also tweeted its welcome.

Susan Marie, the commerce authority's executive vice president of strategy, confirmed to The Arizona Republic on Thursday that the incentive has not been reinstated.

More: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...me/1708353001/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 7:43 PM
Modulator

Hurricane Harbor expanding for next year:

Quote:
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Phoenix announces expansion plans; 'Paradise Island' coming summer 2020

By: Josh Frigerio
items.[0].image.alt
GLENDALE, AZ — One of the Valley's water parks is expanding.

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Phoenix, formerly known as Wet 'N Wild, announced Thursday its plans to open "Paradise Island," a nearly 42,000-square-foot addition to the water park. It will be its first expansion in years, a news release said.

Among the expansion plans, Paradise Island will have a 12,000-square-foot activity pool with different water elements, floating lily pads that people can walk on, a water basketball court, and a volleyball pool, according to the release. There will also be lounge seating, shaded areas, and more restrooms.

It will be located near the Coconut Bay children’s area and Adventure River.

“Hurricane Harbor is the premier water park destination in Arizona and we are committed to offering thrilling, new experiences that can be shared with family and friends,” said Donald Spiller, the water park's general manager, in a statement. “Paradise Island will feature multiple new water play activities and relaxing water fun; it’s sure to be a favorite destination for guests of all ages."

Heather Miles Austin, director of The Ferraro Group, who handles the Phoenix water park's public relations, said construction was scheduled to start in the fall, during the water park's off-season, with an opening planned for summer 2020.

The last day of the current season is Oct. 13.

The water park also announced a "flash sale" over the Labor Day weekend on its 2020 season passes. Between Aug. 29 and Sept. 2, those who purchase passes will be upgraded to a "Gold Pass," which includes admission to the Phoenix water park, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and any of Six Flags' other theme parks, the release said. You can learn more at Six Flags' website, www.sixflags.com/phoenix/store/season-passes.

Six Flags purchased the water park in 2018 and branded it as Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Phoenix earlier this year.
Source: https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...ng-summer-2020

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 7:56 PM
self-important urbanista

^Has anyone ever been there? My kids keep bugging me to take them. I'd like to know if it's worth the money for the basic admission fee and various upgrades offered.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 7:59 PM
Modulator

Quote:
^Has anyone ever been there? My kids keep bugging me to take them. I'd like to know if it's worth the money for the basic admission fee and various upgrades offered.
I have not been there myself, but drive by it frequently to go hike at Thunderbird. It seems like the lines from what I can see are decently long, but probably tolerable.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Used to take my kids there all the time when I lived nearby. Totally worth it - just get there at open and be done by around 1pm. All the crowds get there around noon - so you'll start out with the park being easy to navigate and can quickly ride everything.

I've not been there since Six Flags took it over - but its generally the same. Just additional charges for the different levels of service that give you parking, food, etc.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:35 PM

This looks like a nice plan, glad to see they arent expecting luxury Condo high rises and "urban" living.

http://azbex.com/litchfield-park-con...r-city-center/

Quote:
By Mark Carlisle for Independent Newsmedia

Litchfield Park’s Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council are considering what types of businesses and other land uses to permit in the planned downtown City Center project.

By the end of the year, City Council will take action on new general plan and zoning designations that will outline allowed land uses and design guidelines for the planned downtown commercial and entertainment center. By law, any major general plan amendment must be acted on by City Council in the same calendar year it is proposed.

Planning consultant Jason Sanks said the general plan designation creates a basis of the vision for City Center and the zoning district creates more specific guidelines for what types of businesses should be allowed and design themes for the project.

The Planning & Zoning Commission’s public hearing on City Center general plan and zoning designation is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, October 9th with Tuesday, November 12th as a backup date. City Council has tentatively scheduled a public hearing on the issue for Wednesday, November 20th with an optional second meeting Wednesday, December 18th to ensure any action is taken before the end-of-year deadline.

The City Center designations would apply to 29 acres that includes City Hall and vacant, city-owned land around City Hall. The site is bordered by Fairway Drive to the north, Wigwam Boulevard to the south, Litchfield Road to the west and Old Litchfield Road to the east.

It’s long been the city’s vision to create a downtown center. A plan was created in 1996 for a “Village Center” downtown that never came to fruition. By adopting new general plan designation and zoning districts, the city will also repeal the 1996 plans for the formerly proposed Village Center.

Litchfield Park has been revisiting plans for the City Center in the past three years. City Council accepted tentative plans for the project from a planning and consultant group, Destination LP, in May. As part of that process, staff realized a new general plan designation and zoning district would be necessary.

City Council has already OK’d funding for several initial projects for City Center’s construction, mostly road improvements, such as extending Village Parkway through the site. While most design ideas are still tentative, City Council has also approved funding for one aspect of City Center that there seems to be no debate over: “The Park” — a grass field in the middle of the project for entertainment and city events.

Building heights would be capped at 35 feet and two stories, but businesses could apply for Council to allow a third story on a building.

Residential units are only allowed on the site as part of a planned development, which requires Commission and Council consideration and would be in future phases of development. Any residential units would be apartment-style and would have retail on the first floor with the residential units above on the second or third floor.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:37 PM

In the greatest news that has ever happened to the West Valley, White Claw Factory

https://azbigmedia.com/business/econ...y-in-glendale/

Quote:
Mark Anthony Brewing has chosen Glendale as the location of its new state-of-the-art brewery and BrewPure facility. Construction is slated to be completed in record time. The facility will be in Glendale’s “New Frontier” at the Loop 303.

In a race against time, to meet the explosive demand for White Claw Hard Seltzer, the new 916,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility will be up and running in under seven months. In other markets, projects like this can take years. “The primary reason we selected Glendale was the innovative thinking and personal support of Governor Doug Ducey, the city of Glendale, the Arizona Commerce Authority, and their willingness to embrace our vision and commit to the support required for our rapid build-out and aggressive timeline,” said Mark Anthony Brewing President John Sacksteder. “Once complete, this new facility will be a beacon for the advanced manufacturing capabilities of the City of Glendale and the state of Arizona”

Mark Anthony Brewing anticipates investing more than $250 million in the facility, that includes the unique BrewPure process which allows White Claw Hard Seltzer, Mike’s Hard Lemonade, Mike’s Harder Lemonade and Cayman Jack Cocktails to taste like no other. In addition to the associated construction jobs, it is anticipated that there will be more than 200 full-time jobs at the facility when it’s up and running in June of 2020.

“We’re thrilled that Mark Anthony Brewing has chosen Arizona for their western manufacturing center that will create hundreds of new jobs in the West Valley,” said Governor Doug Ducey. “We are committed to keeping Arizona the best place in the nation to start and scale a business.”

Mark Anthony Brewing is part of The Mark Anthony Group, one of North America’s most diversified and successful private companies, focused on the beverage alcohol sector. The Mark Anthony Group is the leader in the exploding Hard Seltzer and Flavored Malt Beverage categories driven by its portfolio of innovative and iconic brands, and total passion and commitment to crafting products where “You can taste the difference.”

The Mark Anthony Group expects 2020 sales of approximately $4 Billion, has no debt, self-financing its working capital and all its CAPEX. In 2019, the Company became the 4th largest brewer in the U.S. and is currently the fastest-growing Top 10 brewer for the 3rd year in a row.

“We are proud to be an organization that can attract the best of the best,” said Glendale City Manager Kevin Phelps. “We know it is a very aggressive construction schedule, but our team is prepared to rise to the challenge. Our development team has been working closely with Mark Anthony Brewing and have a plan in place to ensure we meet their timeline. We are thrilled to welcome this project and the additional investment to the city.”

The city of Glendale worked in partnership with the Arizona Commerce Authority through the attraction process to bring Mark Anthony Brewing to the state. “Arizona’s manufacturing industry is thriving, thanks to investments from industry leaders like Mark Anthony Brewing,” said Sandra Watson, Arizona Commerce Authority President & CEO. “It is clear that our state’s unique value proposition continues to resonate with growing companies. We thank Mark Anthony Brewing for selecting Glendale for this new operation, which will have a positive economic impact in the region.”

Mark Anthony Brewing has assembled teams of international engineers and experts to ensure innovative thinking is included in the design and construction of this facility. Another significant benefit this location presents according to Sacksteder is the opportunity for Mark Anthony Brewing to work alongside Merit Partners, Inc., Arizona’s largest developer of Industrial Real Estate and General Contractor, Layton Construction, widely recognized as a market leader in Arizona. He says these are both world-class organizations that are aligned with their vision, committed to their aggressive timeline for this project, and have a strong track record of delivering exceptional results.

“This facility will help keep up with consumer demand for White Claw while bringing additional jobs and investment to Glendale,” said Mayor Jerry Weiers. “I welcome this development and Mark Anthony Brewing to our city. I know they will be wonderful community partners and proud to call Glendale home,” he added.

“The Yucca District is thrilled to welcome another quality employer to the multiple developments happening district-wide,” said Glendale Vice Mayor Joyce Clark. “The goal with this annexation was to bring major employers, like Mark Anthony Brewing into our city, and I am delighted to see the anticipated development happening so quickly. In addition to the significant employment opportunities they are bringing, they have also demonstrated their commitment to be an involved and invested partner in our community”.

Glendale continues to grow at an accelerated pace. The addition of the advanced manufacturing facility to Glendale’s “New Frontier” builds on the existing buzz about the area with more announcements expected in the near future.

For more information about Glendale, visit growglendale.com or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest