HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 12:55 PM

740 N Aberdeen

Oct 8

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 1:14 PM

318 N Carpenter

Oct 8

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:26 AM

1375 W Fulton

Oct 8

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:42 AM

215 N Peoria

Oct 8

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 9:42 PM

Old Town Park - 300 W Hill

Oct 8

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:57 PM

have they announced when phase 3 on that?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
have they announced when phase 3 on that?
Already under construction.
https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/8/27...rk-phase-three

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 12:20 PM

tower crane going up at Old Town Phase 3 this morning. Man they aren't messing around.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
tower crane going up at Old Town Phase 3 this morning. Man they aren't messing around.
I am really enjoying the presence of Onni Group in Chicago. They don't mess around when they want to get a development underway. And they listened to the residents of Atrium Village by not leveling the existing mid-rise. It didn't seem that they kicked up too much of a fuss about it, either. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's affordable housing in a quickly gentrifying area where people have lived for decades. It's great to have a developer in town that isn't just going to evict first and ask questions later. Plus, their tower cranes look cool at night.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:25 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
I am really enjoying the presence of Onni Group in Chicago. They don't mess around when they want to get a development underway. And they listened to the residents of Atrium Village by not leveling the existing mid-rise. It didn't seem that they kicked up too much of a fuss about it, either. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's affordable housing in a quickly gentrifying area where people have lived for decades. It's great to have a developer in town that isn't just going to evict first and ask questions later. Plus, their tower cranes look cool at night.
That's not really how it went down. Low-income Atrium Village residents were upset that Onni pushed them all into the existing building instead of giving them shiny new apartments (with amenities access) in the new towers. Never mind that the existing building HAS amenities like a workout room and an (outdoor) pool...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Oct 8

Beat me to it.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Beat me to it.

Not really - the red crane in the foreground of my shot is for Bentham ( Erie/LaSalle ).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post

Eh kinda. Onni's purchase of the site for development came with restrictive covenants that would have required them to set aside affordable units in each of the highrises for the Atrium Village residents. Yes, the Mid Rise was retained because the residents in Atrium Village preferred to remain there instead of getting dispersed around the city during the initial stages of construction. However, that was only supposed to be temporary until the first buildings were completed and Atrium Village residents could move back.

Instead, Onni decided that it would be better (cheaper, more profitable) to simply retain the Mid-Rise, albeit refurbished, and concentrate all the affordable units for the project in that building rather than set aside affordable units in the new high rises. That way, all the high rises are market rate rentals.

The Atrium Village residents seemed kinda pissed about that, especially since Onni's development rep told them that they'd be locked out of the amenities for the new towers due to security concerns.

So overall this was kind of abusive.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Not really - the red crane in the foreground of my shot is for Bentham ( Erie/LaSalle ).
Oh ur right. It was was straight on so it looked like just the vertical part for Old Town Park Phase III. I was confused by the date because I'm pretty sure it has gone up in the last 24 hours.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:44 PM

Anyone have a rendering of Old Town Park Phase 3?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
...snip..
The Atrium Village residents seemed kinda pissed about that, especially since Onni's development rep told them that they'd be locked out of the amenities for the new towers due to security concerns...snip..
Welp, beggars can't be choosers. I'd also like to use amenities in the shiny new towers, but this is the real world and I don't pay to live there and therefore I'm not entitled to someone else's amenities.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahshead View Post
Anyone have a rendering of Old Town Park Phase 3?
The planning commission had this a few months ago

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Eh kinda. Onni's purchase of the site for development came with restrictive covenants that would have required them to set aside affordable units in each of the highrises for the Atrium Village residents. Yes, the Mid Rise was retained because the residents in Atrium Village preferred to remain there instead of getting dispersed around the city during the initial stages of construction. However, that was only supposed to be temporary until the first buildings were completed and Atrium Village residents could move back.

Instead, Onni decided that it would be better (cheaper, more profitable) to simply retain the Mid-Rise, albeit refurbished, and concentrate all the affordable units for the project in that building rather than set aside affordable units in the new high rises. That way, all the high rises are market rate rentals.

The Atrium Village residents seemed kinda pissed about that, especially since Onni's development rep told them that they'd be locked out of the amenities for the new towers due to security concerns.

So overall this was kind of abusive.
Thanks for the clarification on that. In reading a few articles and the plan commission recap for Phase 3, it seems that Onni had originally intended to reserve 20% of each Old Town Park tower. Phase 3 was approved by the plan commission, but at just 10% affordable housing.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 8:42 PM

Old Town Park Phase III

Crane installation - October 15,2019

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 10:16 PM

Bentham Condos - 146 Erie

Oct 15

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations