HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 8:46 PM
-

353 Carondelet St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:RM52HV
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Peer Architects Trapolin
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/11/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
353 CARONDELET IS A FOUR STORY WOOD FLOOR JOIST, STEEL POST AND BEAM, EXTERIOR LOAD BEARING MASONRY WALL BUILDING. THE EXTERIOR SKIN OF THE BUILDING IS BEING REMOVED AND REINSTALLED ACCORDING TO NPS STANDARDS. THE FIRST FLOOR glass partitions will be added to create separate offices. The second floor will be finished out as an executive office and will consist of offices, break out work spaces, board room and break room. The 3rd and 4th floor will be white box ready for future tenants.

djsnola
859 Convention Center Blvd, Lobby·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:7Z7DEH
Type:
Applicant:
Architects Trapolin-Peer
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/11/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior, non-structural renovation to finishes and fixtures of existing 2 story lobby space.

Ronald McDonald House To Expand To Children’s Hospital In $6 Million Move

http://canalstreetbeat.com/ronald-mc...-million-move/

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 15, 2019 at 1:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:08 PM
-

Tulane Ave Construction:

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 12:29 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
not at this time .. but maybe will if people think nescessary
I would go ahead and create a thread in the Skyscraper & Highrise Construction. I'm sure plenty of people interested in latest developments.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:23 AM

Morial Convention Center leaders propose new terms for financing of 1,200-room hotel

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...a7218065a.html

Ernest N. Morial Convention Center officials said Tuesday they have negotiated new terms for financing of a $558 million, 1,200-room hotel planned as part of a multibillion-dollar development of upriver land the center owns into a vibrant new "entertainment district."

Michael Sawaya, the center's president and general manager, told the Finance Committee of the facility's governing board that he and his team had negotiated a reduction in the upfront cash contribution to the hotel project that will come from public funds to $7 million, down from a previously proposed $41 million.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:26 AM

Time is quite literally running out in terms of controlling where the cranes will fall, and it looks like the only solution is to have them fall at this point. A controlled collapse of the cranes is warranted before we see 30+mph winds develop late Friday and Saturday. Once those winds start, the booms will start spinning in the wind, and God knows where they will fall over. Best case scenario would be to aim the collapse toward the parking deck on Iberville, and hope to not hit the New Orleans Athletic Club. Worst case scenario is for both cranes to collapse onto the Saenger.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Time is quite literally running out in terms of controlling where the cranes will fall, and it looks like the only solution is to have them fall at this point. A controlled collapse of the cranes is warranted before we see 30+mph winds develop late Friday and Saturday. Once those winds start, the booms will start spinning in the wind, and God knows where they will fall over. Best case scenario would be to aim the collapse toward the parking deck on Iberville, and hope to not hit the New Orleans Athletic Club. Worst case scenario is for both cranes to collapse onto the Saenger.
Not to be a monger of fear, but I was told by someone directly involved in the emergency response that there is a big fear that one of the cranes will inevitably collapse and fall onto the Saenger bringing a 40-50 ton boom crashing down with it. They’re now expecting those winds to move in as early as later today and have expanded the evacuation zone.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:50 AM
-

If something has to be hit i think we all would choose that ugly garage on iberville and rampart... but hopefully it doesnt come to that but what a mess

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Not to be a monger of fear, but I was told by someone directly involved in the emergency response that there is a big fear that one of the cranes will inevitably collapse and fall onto the Saenger bringing a 40-50 ton boom crashing down with it. They’re now expecting those winds to move in as early as later today and have expanded the evacuation zone.
I work for the weather service. We are expecting north winds of 15 mph today after the front moves through. Nothing close to 30 mph today thankfully. It may be enough to knock over the cranes though. A northwest or north wind would have the cranes fall toward the Rainbow on Canal or the hostel on Burgundy. Bigger concern will be Friday night and early Saturday morning when a low pressure system moving along the Louisiana coast could produce a strong southeast wind of 30 mph at boom level that could topple the cranes right onto the Saenger.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:03 PM
-

Quote:
I work for the weather service. We are expecting north winds of 15 mph today after the front moves through. Nothing close to 30 mph today thankfully. It may be enough to knock over the cranes though. A northwest or north wind would have the cranes fall toward the Rainbow on Canal or the hostel on Burgundy. Bigger concern will be Friday night and early Saturday morning when a low pressure system moving along the Louisiana coast could produce a strong southeast wind of 30 mph at boom level that could topple the cranes right onto the Saenger.
hmm and it does seem like the more vulnerable direction are to winds coming out of the south for that north crane.

i did see them doing a little work on that hole in the saengers roof to prevent any rain

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Morial Convention Center leaders propose new terms for financing of 1,200-room hotel

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...a7218065a.html

Ernest N. Morial Convention Center officials said Tuesday they have negotiated new terms for financing of a $558 million, 1,200-room hotel planned as part of a multibillion-dollar development of upriver land the center owns into a vibrant new "entertainment district."

Michael Sawaya, the center's president and general manager, told the Finance Committee of the facility's governing board that he and his team had negotiated a reduction in the upfront cash contribution to the hotel project that will come from public funds to $7 million, down from a previously proposed $41 million.
SO basically the private investors have upped their contributions and allowed for less investment by the board. seems like good news to me anytime less public dollars are needed for anything to get off the ground.. ok so they lower the payment but are paying for the parking garage for hotel which they will own and lease back to the hotel.. seems like thats a better play for the convention center

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
If something has to be hit i think we all would choose that ugly garage on iberville and rampart... but hopefully it doesnt come to that but what a mess
Can someone with expertise explain to me why portable cranes can’t be used to disassemble the damaged cranes? That seems like the obvious solution to me but since it’s not being done then there must be a reason why.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
The person didn’t specify the wind speeds so I made the assumption that you two were talking about the same thing. They could have been speaking on 15 mph winds. I guess I’ll just keep my fingers crossed until the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Can someone with expertise explain to me why portable cranes can’t be used to disassemble the damaged cranes? That seems like the obvious solution to me but since it’s not being done then there must be a reason why.
The current cranes are no longer structurally sound and because the building is only partially collapsed, attaching new cranes could unseat any debris that is propping up what’s left of the structure or topple the cranes. It’s quite the conundrum because you have a building that’s basically been rendered a life-size version of Jenga that just so happens to be surrounded by historical structures, with stronger winds on the horizon to complicate things. Kailas must be sick.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:37 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydog1 View Post
So ive been following this page for a while but created an account to share some quick info. I work in the CBD and someone doing work on software at the New MSY informed me that airport officials are pretty determined on a November 14th opening.
My God, thank you Jesus (and you for this news!)! This means I get to fly to NYC for Thanksgiving in style

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:06 PM
-

To try and keep this thread easier to follow as well as keep people informed on the situation at Hard Rock .. I went ahead and created a thread for the Hard Rock Hotel in the highrise forum

New Orleans |Hard Rock Hotel and Residences | 210 FT | 18 Floors
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=240655

Lots of people I think will be interested in this since Im sure some lessons for the construction industry as a whole will result from this

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:42 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
The person didn’t specify the wind speeds so I made the assumption that you two were talking about the same thing. They could have been speaking on 15 mph winds. I guess I’ll just keep my fingers crossed until the weekend.

The current cranes are no longer structurally sound and because the building is only partially collapsed, attaching new cranes could unseat any debris that is propping up what’s left of the structure or topple the cranes. It’s quite the conundrum because you have a building that’s basically been rendered a life-size version of Jenga that just so happens to be surrounded by historical structures, with stronger winds on the horizon to complicate things. Kailas must be sick.
Kailas was last seen running away from news cameras when they went up to the company office in his building... This is such a pr nightmare for the city too, and traffic has been insane, right as we’re going into busy season. I’m just hoping the Saenger makes it out ok because it would be awful for a crane to go through that building after they spent $70mil on that renovation.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:17 PM
-

31 McAlister Dr·Demolition · Ref Code:SABYUX
Type:
Demolition
Applicant:
Architects Edr
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/11/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Demolition of an existing 2 story dining hall in accordance with the approved Institutional Master Plan

djsnola
1330 St Charles Ave·Interior Demolition · Permit #19-32567-DEMI · Ref Code:8V100K
Download (6) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Interior Demolition
Applicant:
MG Group LLC
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
10/11/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior exploratory demolition of the first floor of a commercial building

djsnola

800 Common St·Interior Demolition · Ref Code:GNNZDK
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Interior Demolition
Applicant:
ABAT Builders, Inc.
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/15/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Selective exploratory interior demolition to assist with architectural design and planning for interior renovation - 93,000 SF (partially demo flooring, casework, cabinets, counter-tops, backslash, shelving, tubs and fixtures, demo partial non load bearing walls, selective demo for new door openings)

700 -04 Royal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:MMMMCA
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
4-H Construction Company
Application Review
Date Filed:
10/14/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Non-structural exterior repairs to 3-stry, mixed use structure as per VCC approval. Repairs include painting, balcony repair, fascia board , gutters, porch flooring. No electrical.

djsnola
2700 Napoleon Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:4P4QF0
Type:
Applicant:
Kellerman Anne
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
10/15/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
THIS SUBMISSION INCLUDES RENOVATION TO THE TELESTORK ROOMS ON THE FORTH FLOOR OF OCHSNER BAPTIST HOSPITAL. THE RENOVATION INCLUDES ADDING A SINK TO EXISTING CASE WORK AND ADDING NEW TELESTORK EQUIPMENT. THIS ADDITION REQUIRES NEW HVAC, ELECTRICAL AND PLUMBING EQUIPMENT.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:26 PM

WWII Museum to open Hall of Democracy on Thursday; new facility will be center of distance-learning programs

https://www.nola.com/news/article_6a...348b329d8.html

n the 19 years since its star-spangled opening, the National World War II Museum has become one of New Orleans’ premier tourist attractions, drawing more than 7.5 million visitors. But its latest addition, a $25 million building to be dedicated Thursday, was erected with an eye toward people who may never set foot on the Warehouse District campus.

Occupying that space until Jan. 5 is “Operation Finale: The Capture & Trial of Adolf Eichmann,” which chronicles the process that tracked down the Holocaust mastermind and brought him to justice.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:29 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Yeah it's a tough situation... anybody that tries to take down the crane will bear the liability for any collateral damage that happens as a result.

I guess you've gotta go to the surrounding property owners within a radius and get them to sign a waiver... inevitably a controlled collapse will be better than rolling the dice, even if some additional damage results it's better than the alternative.

As for how to do a controlled collapse... no idea. Maybe tie some shipping rope to a few key points and pull the rope with a helicopter?

I feel for Kailas a little bit, assuming he isn't directly to blame.. we've all been harping on him to develop properties instead of sitting on them, and the first big new construction project turns into a tragedy.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
WWII Museum to open Hall of Democracy on Thursday; new facility will be center of distance-learning programs

n the 19 years since its star-spangled opening, the National World War II Museum has become one of New Orleans’ premier tourist attractions, drawing more than 7.5 million visitors. But its latest addition, a $25 million building to be dedicated Thursday, was erected with an eye toward people who may never set foot on the Warehouse District campus.

Occupying that space until Jan. 5 is “Operation Finale: The Capture & Trial of Adolf Eichmann,” which chronicles the process that tracked down the Holocaust mastermind and brought him to justice.

exciting the new hotel cant be too far behind either. ALso according to the article a groundbreaking for the Liberation Pavilion will also be Thursday

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:52 PM
-

Quote:
To try and keep this thread easier to follow as well as keep people informed on the situation at Hard Rock .. I went ahead and created a thread for the Hard Rock Hotel in the highrise forum

New Orleans |Hard Rock Hotel and Residences | 210 FT | 18 Floors
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=240655

Lots of people I think will be interested in this since Im sure some lessons for the construction industry as a whole will result from this
can we all move the discussion about this topic to that thread now.. would be much appreciated to get it going

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations