HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 8:09 PM

Wow, I can't believe it's taken years to extend the people mover a third of a mile. This is madness, what have they been doing all this time? When are they ever going to finish it?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Wow, I can't believe it's taken years to extend the people mover a third of a mile. This is madness, what have they been doing all this time? When are they ever going to finish it?
Patience! They still have to be done soon. Right now, they haven't find a specific date yet. So please be patients. Give it a time! Give it chance!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Patience! They still have to be done soon. Right now, they haven't find a specific date yet. So please be patients. Give it a time! Give it chance!
Do you work for the contractor doing the work? This project is an embarrassment to the city and airport. For the time and what they actually are doing it's insane. I rode on the bus system a week ago connecting from T5 to T3; what an awful experience, especially for any foreigners, elderly and children. This is probably the reason the new T2 won't initially have the underground train connecting the two new satellites to the main terminal. The project manager already said completing it by 2028 isn't possible.

On a serious note, can you imagine connecting from a flight at the end of the 2nd new satellite terminal and having to connect to B17? Not having a train will be a mistake.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbud View Post
Do you work for the contractor doing the work? This project is an embarrassment to the city and airport. For the time and what they actually are doing it's insane. I rode on the bus system a week ago connecting from T5 to T3; what an awful experience, especially for any foreigners, elderly and children. This is probably the reason the new T2 won't initially have the underground train connecting the two new satellites to the main terminal. The project manager already said completing it by 2028 isn't possible.

On a serious note, can you imagine connecting from a flight at the end of the 2nd new satellite terminal and having to connect to B17? Not having a train will be a mistake.
That's just as bad as gate B12 at MSP connecting to a G-gate!

Any news on construction? They "broke ground" on terminal 5 changes in March, I assumed they were waiting till the end of the summer season to take the end gate jet bridge (M21 I think) down.

I did see them digging up the tarmac at that end of the terminal to make more space, but so far, I haven't been able to see any work on the building itself.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbud View Post

No, sir! I don't work for contractor. Sorry!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:33 PM

B17 - could the footprint work for the A380

I know the A380 production is ending soon. But with Lufthansa having them in their fleet was there ever discussion or a plan to modify United T1 gate B17 to be A380 compatible? I know B16 is also a wide body gate, but the terminal 5 1-gate a380 gate space was creatively angled for the A380 to not jeopardize the use of the gates next to it. Maybe there just isn’t the footprint available. I was thinking of this as I read that Lufthansa flies the whale to BOS. I know it probably won’t happen now with the future of the A380.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 5:51 PM

Found some nice 2019 ORD photos on this Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/698296610181764/

Last edited by F1 Tommy; Jan 3, 2020 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Found some nice 2019 ORD photos on this Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Scale-De...45511289030520
Please go on Chicago Aviation Fans Facebook group. Not on your Facebook page.

Here's a link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/698296610181764/

You can join them.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

in a bit of a surprise move, midway is getting a new carrier with seasonal service to six new destinations.

Quote:
Allegiant adds 3 new cities in 44-route expansion

Allegiant Air announced 44 new nonstop routes – and three new cities – Tuesday in what the company is calling the largest single expansion in its history. All of the new routes are seasonal.

The new destinations – Boston, Chicago and Houston – represent the boldest move yet by Allegiant into the nation’s biggest markets that do not have a traditional beach or warm-weather draw

Allegiant will serve Chicago from the city’s Midway Airport (MDW). The airline’s first flights there begin May 14, when Allegiant launches the first of what will be six nonstop routes from the city.

Chicago Midway (MDW)

Allentown, Pennsylvania (ABE): Begins May 14

Asheville, North Carolina (AVL): Begins May 21

Des Moines, Iowa (DSM): Begins May 21

Destin/Fort Walton Beach, Florida (VPS): Begins June 5

Knoxville, Tennessee (TYS): Begins May 21

Savannah, Georgia (SAV): Begins May 21
source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/allegi...icago-houston/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:34 PM
You had me at herro...

Any pictures or updates on Terminal 5 expansion?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
Any pictures or updates on Terminal 5 expansion?
Not yet. They still working on it. Hopefully someone will post it soon.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 2:30 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I flew AKL to ORD on Friday. Terribly long flight, but the alternative would have been worse of course. That said, the ATS can't be done soon enough. Those shuttles are really awful with luggage.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:43 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Not yet. They still working on it. Hopefully someone will post it soon.
I remember they broke ground last March, and then in September there was an update article saying they were expected to begin construction on Terminal 5 soon, and I thought uh-oh, when is it actually going to get underway...

I know they opened the new police building yesterday, so hopefully with that out of the way they can tear down the old one and tear into the site.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:35 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I flew AKL to ORD on Friday. Terribly long flight, but the alternative would have been worse of course. That said, the ATS can't be done soon enough. Those shuttles are really awful with luggage.
How was that flight? I've wondered about it since it was announced, but you're the first person I've encountered who's taken it.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:15 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
How was that flight? I've wondered about it since it was announced, but you're the first person I've encountered who's taken it.
Other than the length of the flight (which there is not much one can do about... it's not like stopping over somewhere would make it faster), I had a positive experience. Good movie choices and excellent service. They even gave me the fancy headphones because I was close to the bathroom.The food was ok (edible, nothing great), but the candy is delicious! The bathroom decoration was amusing.

The flight seemed pretty full (I didn't see any empty seats, but there may have been some) and everyone in my row was a Chicagoan.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:04 PM

Looks like O'Hare will remain the busiest airport for movements in the world for 2019. As of the end of November they were over 10,000 above 2018 stats. I think they will end the year at around 915,000 movements. The city should release December stats soon. For now ATL has the most passengers, but I think a city in China will pass them in the next few years. Number 1 in cargo traffic for many years to come will be MEM due to FedEx. Chicago is doing well in cargo traffic but UPS moved some of the mail sorting to other regional airports.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:32 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I bet when she Max is finally flying again (hopefully safely) O'Hare might pass Atlanta in pax as regional Jets are made larger.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I bet when she Max is finally flying again (hopefully safely) O'Hare might pass Atlanta in pax as regional Jets are made larger.
That won't happen anytime soon, and the Max will have nothing to do with it. Maybe after they build the new terminals it might push ORD closer to ATL. That will take atleast 8-10 years.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 7:01 PM
THAT Guy

https://ord21.com/newsroom/Pages/article.aspx?newsid=18

Quote:
O’HARE 21 PROGRAM REACHES CRITICAL MILESTONE WITH DESIGN TEAM FULLY IN PLACE

Date: 01/24/2020 | Source: Chicago Department of Aviation

CHICAGO – With the O’Hare 21 expansion and modernization program already well underway, the City of Chicago today announced a critical milestone, securing the services of its three key designers. The City’s contract with Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP (SOM) to design two new satellite concourses immediately west of the terminal core has been finalized, while HNTB has been selected to serve as the lead civil engineer. SOM and HNTB join Studio ORD – the lead architect tasked with designing the new O’Hare Global Terminal – on the design team that will transform the airport.

“Having our three lead designers in place and working in parallel is a critical moment for the overall success of the O’Hare 21 program, and we’re moving forward in a spirit of cohesion and collaboration,” Chicago Department of Aviation Commissioner Jamie L. Rhee said. “With Studio ORD and SOM providing inspiration above ground and HNTB lending their considerable expertise below ground, we have assembled a team of unparalleled vision and talent, and every traveler who uses O’Hare will benefit. We are committed to continuing to work closely with our federal and airline partners to build a new O’Hare on schedule and on budget, all while maintaining the safe operations at the world’s busiest airfield. All three designers will contribute significantly to this goal through their designs and input to detailed implementation plans in conjunction with the broader O’Hare community.”

O’Hare 21 is the result of a landmark agreement between the City of Chicago and its airline partners, and it marks the largest expansion and first major capital improvements to O’Hare’s passenger terminals in over a quarter-century. The new Terminal Area Plan (TAP) will completely redevelop existing Terminal 2, add two new concourses, replace and expand aircraft gates, and set in motion a wide range of other improvements that will significantly enhance airline performance and the overall passenger experience.

“This is a significant milestone towards the realization of the City’s vision for an inspirational, accessible, and sustainable new O’Hare. Our team has been working closely with CDA to develop design principles that will allow each project on O’Hare’s campus to celebrate the spirit and distinctive character of Chicago. As the SOM team develops a concept that meets the unique needs of the satellite concourses, we look forward to collaborating with their team and the City of Chicago to create a seamless user experience across the satellites and the O’Hare Global Terminal,” said Jeanne Gang, lead designer for the O’Hare Global Terminal and founding partner of Studio Gang. Last year, the joint venture comprised of her firm Studio Gang, Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB), Corgan, Milhouse Engineering & Construction, Inc., and STLarchitects was selected to design the 2.2 million square foot terminal, as well as to set the tone and palette for the satellite concourses.

The project will be delivered in phases, with an expanded Terminal 5 representing the first major terminal upgrade at O’Hare. Construction of the satellite concourses and supporting infrastructure will follow, estimated to substantially begin in 2022. Once the satellites are online, construction of the O’Hare Global Terminal can begin, replacing Terminal 2. The program also includes enhancements to integrate Terminals 1 and 3 into the O’Hare Global Terminal to enable seamless passenger connections. O’Hare 21, the $8.5 billion project to modernize O’Hare’s terminals, follows the successful delivery of the O’Hare Modernization Program that transformed O’Hare’s runway system and reduced aircraft delays. O’Hare 21 is projected to directly create more than 60,000 jobs over the course of the program. The overall regional economic impact will be greater, with a growing O’Hare expected to contribute at least $50 billion to the region, and to enable at least 460,000 regional jobs in the next eight years.

“We are honored to join the City’s design team to move forward this exciting and transformative project,” Scott Duncan, SOM Design Partner, said. “O’Hare is not only one of the world’s busiest and most critical transportation hubs, but a critical part of Chicago’s economic and social infrastructure. We are thrilled to work in partnership with the CDA, Studio ORD and the rest of the O’Hare 21 program team to create a vibrant and sustainable airport that will enhance carrier operations and elevate the experience of tens of millions of travelers.”

The timely design and construction of the satellite concourses – valued at approximately $1.4 billon – are crucial to the program’s critical path and must be completed and in use before construction of the O’Hare Global Terminal can begin. When complete, the satellite concourses will provide opportunities for O’Hare’s airline partners and their networks to continue growing while a significant number of existing gates and facilities are closed for construction. The new facilities at O’Hare will result in greater connectivity and competitive pricing for travelers.

“As Chicago’s airline of choice, we congratulate SOM, HNTB, and our partners at the City of Chicago on another milestone in O’Hare’s transformation,” said Michael Minerva, American Airlines Vice President of Government and Airport Affairs. “Much like American, SOM has rich history and roots in Chicago, and we look forward to working with them – and all of the design teams – to create a worldclass customer experience at O’Hare Airport.”

“We congratulate SOM and HNTB on joining the O’Hare 21 team as we continue taking steps towards building a better O’Hare and improving the travel experience for the nearly 38 million United customers who transit our hometown hub every year,” Gavin Molloy, Vice President, Corporate Real Estate for United Airlines said.

Lead civil engineer HNTB will design the heavy infrastructure components of the program required to support the new terminal facilities, including the design of the central tunnel system that will convey utilities, baggage and passengers from the O’Hare Global Terminal to the satellite concourses. Additionally, HNTB will be tasked with the design of the taxiways and civil infrastructure between and around the proposed concourses, ensuring the existing facilities and the world’s busiest airfield operations are not impacted during the anticipated TAP construction.

Both SOM and HNTB – as well Studio ORD – were selected as the result of a competitive process, and have committed to comply with the City’s ambitious participation goals for this project. Design contracts also include a mentor/protégé program commitment.

Work to expand and revolutionize the traveler experience at O’Hare is already well underway, most notably at Terminal 5, where 10 new gates and space for 70% more passenger amenities, airline lounges, and concessions space are being constructed, and a new baggage handling system is being developed. Just last week, Mayor Lightfoot joined CDA and the Chicago Police Department to cut the ribbon on the new CPD O’Hare facility, which replaces the previous facility demolished to make way for the Terminal 5 expansion.

The three architecture and engineering teams will work alongside the project’s three Construction Managers At-Risk (CMARs] in propelling O’Hare 21 forward. The CMARs are responsible for representing the City’s best interests and ensuring these complex projects are completed on time, on budget, and with a commitment to diversity and local participation. Austin Power Partners (APP), Turner Paschen Aviation Partners (TPAP), and AECOM Hunt Clayco JV are the CMARs and they have been tasked with developing hiring plans to meet the project’s ambitious diversity and inclusivity goals. Just last week, CDA and the CMARs jointly hosted an Industry Day at UIC to spread the word about upcoming opportunities at O’Hare.

O’Hare 21’s major terminal projects are set to grow O’Hare’s overall terminal square footage by more than 60%, from 5.5 to 8.9 million square feet, and increase aircraft gate frontage by 25%. More aircraft gate capacity will enable O’Hare and its airline partners to reduce delays by improving access to gates for arriving aircraft, and it will also enable O’Hare to handle a wider range of aircraft more efficiently, including larger aircraft that allows more passengers served. As O’Hare adds gates and improves its terminals, passenger volumes are expected to keep pace with a strong demand for air travel worldwide, which, according to aviation experts, will double to 14 billion air travelers in the next decade.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:32 AM

Emirates Mulls Athens To Chicago Fifth Freedom Route

"Middle East giant Emirates could be on the verge of adding more fifth freedom flights to North America. Hot on the heels of its Barcelona-Mexico City route launch, the carrier is reportedly considering adding flights to Chicago from Athens."

https://simpleflying.com/emirates-athens-to-chicago/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation