HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 4:35 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Thanks, everyone!

Steely, I am not gonna lie, I am a wuss about riding in the cold. I rode today, I survived. But when I am needing studded tires...it might take me a while to get the hang of riding in such cold temps lol I'm gonna have to eventually suck it up and do it. I know :S
When I was at my peak of riding, I'd ride in nearly all temperatures, although I never put on studded tires as I didn't think they made sense with my fixed-geae track bike, so didn't ride if it was icy or too snowy. Sometimes if opt for a Divvy in some conditions or if I wasn't sure if I'd want to ride both directions.

These days I still ride to and from work more often than not - I've ridden most days over the past five weeks, always with Divvy just because I wanted to avoid salt on my bike and wanted the option to take other forms from the office.

You just have to be sure to wear the appropriate gear. I worked for a long time with a guy who commuted from Andersonville to the West Loop in all conditions. Here would just bundle up tightly in the worst days with goggles and warm clothes and rain gear as necessary. Once you're used to it, I think you'll enjoy it regardless of weather. :-)
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScraper View Post
With friends like these...
Ugh... yeah.... I mean... that's not a good post. He's becoming too unfiltered. I'm not the kind of person to push complete sensitivity and sanitation of all posts, but there is a line you can't cross. Unfortunately, I think in that post he crossed it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 7:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
although I never put on studded tires as I didn't think they made sense with my fixed-geae track bike, so didn't ride if it was icy or too snowy.
many serious winter bike commuters swear by fixed gear bikes combined with studded tires for the ultimate level of control on icy/snowy surfaces.

of course, skid stopping on studded tires can rip the studs right out of the tire, so you'd want some means of mechanical braking, which your track bike may not have.

my feeble, middle-aged knees enjoy multiple gears way too much to go SS/fixed gear for my own commuting desires, but it's a perfectly sensible solution for some winter riders.

good studded tires are amazing for ice riding. i have schwalbe marathon winter tires on my winter rig. with 256 tungsten-carbide studs per tire, i can literally do figure-8's on an ice rink.

though they do slow me down quite a bit. that's why i like having multiple commuting bikes, so i can ride the appropriate rig for the conditions of any given day. there are lots of winter days in chicago when studs are not needed.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 20, 2019 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
This place is a snooze-fest without TUP.
What a fuckin insult to all the truly great contributors like SolarWind with photocomps, HarryC with his bible of building shots, BVic & SpyGuy , Vexxed82 with his heli shots, Marithisu who keeps a map of every building permit, and many many more real contributors.

If your bored then go somewhere you can get your fill of opinionated bs. there is no shortage, good riddance!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ one billion percent agreed.

only a political ax-grinder would find this forum less interesting after a fellow political ax-grinder decided to leave.

the rest of us normal folks who just want to discuss urban development and look at construction pics without all of the stupid fucking bullshit rejoice!!!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 22, 2019 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely dan View Post
^ one billion percent agreed.

Only a political ax-grinder would find this forum less interesting after a fellow political ax-grinder decided to leave.

The rest of us normal folks who just want to discuss urban development and look at construction pics without all of the stupid fucking bullshit rejoice!!!
+1

. . .

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 8:00 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom in chicago View Post
+1

. . .
+2

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:56 PM

Is the salt on the road a big 'bike eater'? I have a cheap Ebike...but a cheap Ebike is still expensive as crap for me. I mean, I haven't even ridden it in the rain yet to keep its lifespan as long as possible.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 29, 2019 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 6:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Is the salt on the road a big 'bike eater'? I have a cheap Ebike...but a cheap Ebike is still expensive as crap for me. I mean, I haven't even ridden it in the rain yet to keep its lifespan as long as possible.
Salt is a problem for winter bike commuters in Chicago.

If you ride on really sloppy days when your bike and it's components get encrusted with salty slushy mess, it's a very good idea to give your bike hose-down afterward to wash the salt off. The problem however, is that most city dwellers don't have a place to do that. That's why most people will not ride an "expensive" bike in those conditions.

My winter bike has an IGH because that at least helps keep the transmission out of the salt. I have had a couple of disc brakes eaten by salt over the years though. One thing that does help is fenders. They will keep a lot of the slop off of you and the bike.

As for an ebike and road salt, I have no experience, but electronics, water, and salt doesn't sound like the greatest combination of elements in the world.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 30, 2019 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 1:21 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
many serious winter bike commuters swear by fixed gear bikes combined with studded tires for the ultimate level of control on icy/snowy surfaces.
my feeble, middle-aged knees enjoy multiple gears way too much to go SS/fixed gear for my own commuting desires, but it's a perfectly sensible solution for some winter riders.
though they do slow me down quite a bit. that's why i like having multiple commuting bikes, so i can ride the appropriate rig for the conditions of any given day. there are lots of winter days in chicago when studs are not needed.
I think you and I are within a few years of being the same age if I remember (I'm 46). But I also live in the fourth floor of a walkup, with no basement storage, so storing multiple bikes becomes somewhat of an issue. The reality is that there are usually only a couple weeks a year, of combined days, where conditions would stop me from riding my own bike. And maybe a couple other weeks worth of days where I just would want studs. Some of those days between the two I just can use Divvy. Currently I only use Divvy because I let the depression around my divorce get me out of shape enough that the Divvy is just more comfortable and I'm too stubborn to admit I should maybe get a different style of bike until I get back into full form.

Plus I'm going to always have a Divvy membership for when one-way rides are more convenient, so why not just use it? With annual membership of only $100 (and on sale for only $70 this weekend), I think every city resident physically capable of riding a bike should have an annual membership because it only takes a few rides a quarter to replace a few taxi ride to pay for itself, or less than one ride per week replacing a CTA trip, for that matter.

But no matter the bike one uses, getting out and cycling at least occasionally is a wonderful way to see the city and explore the side streets or even some of Algren's alleys.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ it's not so much age, as it is the fact that i simply have shitty knees.

one of them was already surgically rebuilt when i was 30, and the other one isn't great. i'm a very likely candidate for early-age knee replacement as it is. the very thought of grinding into a 30 mph head wind for 8 miles on a fixed-gear makes my knees ache. like i said, for me, my feeble old knees simply like having multiple gears way too much to consider riding a FG/SS. but for other people (like you), it can be a great choice.

Divvy is also another thing that can work great for many people, but my daily commute is 8 miles one way from lincoln square up to downtown evanston on the north shore channel trail. i wouldn't want to be riding a divvy bike for too much more than 2 or 3 miles each way on daily basis.

as for winter riding and the necessity of studded tires, again because of my specific route on the north shore channel trail (and it's very spotty winter maintenance as far as plowing/salting by chicago/lincolnwood/skokie), there are FAR more than two weeks worth of winter riding days where studs are necessary to make the trail safely passable for a bicycle. and i like to ride as much as i possibly can so having a winter bike that's ready to roll with studs for the more challenging winter days is a nice luxury that i'm glad i can both afford and accommodate in our 3-flat's basement storage room (we actually have 8 bikes down there: my commuter bike, my winter bike, my road bike, my wife's bike, 2 folding bikes, and 2 kid's bikes).

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 5:49 PM

I was talking to an engineer recently about skyscraper construction and the design of the glass facades and he had mentioned that almost all of the modern curtain wall systems are designed to last around 50 years. If that is true it will be interesting to see what happens when it comes time to replace them.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
I was talking to an engineer recently about skyscraper construction and the design of the glass facades and he had mentioned that almost all of the modern curtain wall systems are designed to last around 50 years. If that is true it will be interesting to see what happens when it comes time to replace them.
I can't recall a single major building in Chicago with a glass curtainwall that has needed to be replaced. Maybe the seals are designed to last 50 years, but glass and aluminum will effectively last forever if maintained. Just look at 860-880 LSD (construction started pre-1950) or Inland Steel (1957). These extremely early all glass skyscrapers are still doing just skippy despite having the most primative glass facades. Post war commercial grade construction is designed to last effectively indefinately.

As is always the case, the key here is to maintain them. 860-880 just had a huge overhaul and I'm sure they've gone through and resealed all the windoes as needed to keep it as airtight as possible.

EDIT: Here's a summary of exactly what had to be done to restore 860-880 LSD. The difference here is that 860-880 has a large amount of exterior steel while newer buildings have none, only aluminum, which means they will not require any of the steel restoration highlighted below:

https://global.ctbuh.org/resources/p...not-enough.pdf

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:43 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
You're probably aware that some forum members dislike the recent string of blue glass towers all looking similar?

Can you imagine architecture enthusiasts 100 years ago complaining about every midrise/skyscraper built with either limestone and terracotta?
For some reason I have the feeling people didn't complain that much. An entire city that looks like Paris, or old London, or old NYC, etc is universally admired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
That's very surprising. I expected these glass systems to last hundreds of years. What's the failure point(s)? The seals? The support concrete?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post

That's very surprising. I expected these glass systems to last hundreds of years. What's the failure point(s)? The seals? The support concrete?
My first guess would be the seals. While watching that special posted here about Vista at one point they showed a window installer applying a gooey tar/silicone (?) like substance to the edge of the concrete before pushing in the window unit. How long could that possibly last?

Granted, I have no friggin clue. Just a hunch that stuff like that would dry out or crack or fail in someway at least by year 30.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
For some reason I have the feeling people didn't complain that much. An entire city that looks like Paris, or old London, or old NYC, etc is universally admired.
Heh. This couldn't be further from the truth. Cities were thought to be dirty, crowded and disease infested and people wanted to live in the country but couldn't because there were no cars. And in the 1930's it's easy to find tons of people talking about how the charming 1880's style brick construction was ugly and old looking, the way we think of construction from the 1970s today. Beyond that, there were lots of really low quality buildings that existed in all old cities--squalid shacks without plumbing. Those very low-quality buildings are rarely saved, so there's a selection bias in what we see as standard for the time.

That all being said, I'd love visiting a city that looked like Victorian-era London as presented in a modern movie.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I can't recall a single major building in Chicago with a glass curtainwall that has needed to be replaced. Maybe the seals are designed to last 50 years, but glass and aluminum will effectively last forever if maintained. Just look at 860-880 LSD (construction started pre-1950) or Inland Steel (1957). These extremely early all glass skyscrapers are still doing just skippy despite having the most primative glass facades. Post war commercial grade construction is designed to last effectively indefinately.

As is always the case, the key here is to maintain them. 860-880 just had a huge overhaul and I'm sure they've gone through and resealed all the windoes as needed to keep it as airtight as possible.

EDIT: Here's a summary of exactly what had to be done to restore 860-880 LSD. The difference here is that 860-880 has a large amount of exterior steel while newer buildings have none, only aluminum, which means they will not require any of the steel restoration highlighted below:

https://global.ctbuh.org/resources/p...not-enough.pdf
Great info, Thanks LVDR. He must have been talking about the seals which makes sense as any kind of rubber eventually hardens and can become brittle.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 2:46 PM

^^^ Yup, he was referring to the seals. If you actually read the link I posted in detail it says that they determined the seals are still good enough condition to have at least another 5-10 years of service life remaining!

All they really did to these buildings was recoat the steel and restore the damage done to the lobby glass and travertine base over the years. Pretty crazy that even the seals will last 75 years on a system like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Heh. This couldn't be further from the truth. Cities were thought to be dirty, crowded and disease infested and people wanted to live in the country but couldn't because there were no cars. And in the 1930's it's easy to find tons of people talking about how the charming 1880's style brick construction was ugly and old looking, the way we think of construction from the 1970s today. Beyond that, there were lots of really low quality buildings that existed in all old cities--squalid shacks without plumbing. Those very low-quality buildings are rarely saved, so there's a selection bias in what we see as standard for the time.

That all being said, I'd love visiting a city that looked like Victorian-era London as presented in a modern movie.
People don't appreciate just how God awful bas American inner cities were by 1950. My current two flat was essentially a wooden shack that had gas lamps, no plumbing, and was heated by potbelly stoves until 1956. The tool closet under the stairs in my back porch was the latrine where you shat through a hole in the floor into a bucket that was picked up by the honeywagon a few times a week. In 1956 (I know by the newspaper dates found under the flooring) it was upgraded with electric lights, gas space heaters, and real live bathrooms inside.

Even my nice corner building in Little Village which was originally constructed for more middle class residents in the 1890s had one shared bathroom on each floor off the center stairs. The shared baths were removed and replaced by individual baths in the 1979s. Think about that for a second, if you were lucky you shared a bathroom, if you were a poor immigrant factory worker, you shat in a bucket...

Given the standard of living that arose post war, it's no wonder we decided to just raze huge sections of the city flat. It was archaic, almost third world, living by modern standards.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 5:15 PM
urbanpln

Does anyone know what's going on in Chicago's real estate market. The article below paints a not so good picture of real estate in the City.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-12-1028734933

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
Does anyone know what's going on in Chicago's real estate market. The article below paints a not so good picture of real estate in the City.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-12-1028734933
Who knows how accurate the data is. I have noticed the rampant price increases have slowed which is a good thing IMO before we get too far ahead of ourselves. Part of this might also have to do with the massive hit to commercial property values after Kagei reset everything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest